PDA

View Full Version : How to build a Arcane Archer?

Tenebris-Niatellim
08-07-2013, 06:26 PM
I watched few videos on youtube and fell in love (lol). I'm still new to the game so I've been trying out classes and haven't gotten around to rangers so i'm clueless how to build them. So I did the trusty newb tactic and searched for Arcane Archer builds but to my dismay I couldn't find one that I felt was reliable or doable for me (as in the build was asking for those tome things that' seem like end-game stuff I can't afford). Can anyone provide me with a viable arcane archer build? Or a link to one (since google is failing me).

BTW drows according to the wiki are arite with arcane archer, are they THAT much worse then the best arcane archer race (which I have no clue who is, guessing elf?)

Battlehawke
08-07-2013, 07:00 PM
What kind of build where you thinking of?

You have quite a few options available in the current game, such as:

1) Pure Ranger. Ranged with some melee capability. Some Survivability and Self Healing)

2) Bardcher. (Tends to be in a lot of "solo EE content". Self Healing, Burst DPS, Loves to kite and kill fascinated mobs)

3) Monkcher (Burst DPS, Super Fast Kiter, Good Melee, Survivability with some self healing)

4) Barbcher (Crazy Idea but some like it. Crazy Burst DPS and great melee. Limited self healing and low survivability)

5) Ranged Healer (Either FVS or Cleric with Crazy Burst DPS and great healing)

6) Pyrene (Paladin Deviant more of a melee with Ranged Burst DPS and ungodly survivability and self healing).

droid327
08-07-2013, 07:07 PM
Wait a week or two, they're completely overhauling AA and every other enhancement.

Once the changes come out of closed beta, then ask this question again :)

The answer is probably going to be Elf Ranger of some kind.

Tenebris-Niatellim
08-07-2013, 07:33 PM
I guess I could wait, get 400 favor just in case, when is the overhaul coming through?

I kind of want to maximize what made me love AA the most, the aspect where you see all those damage signs stacking up. I love classes that can dish out damage so fast that numbers don't have time to disappear.

and what is sole EE?

Anything I should prep? I do have two level 5 toons (barb and a rogue splash wizard) I can gather some mats with.

unbongwah
08-07-2013, 08:46 PM
I guess I could wait, get 400 favor just in case, when is the overhaul coming through?
It's supposed to come out with Shadowfell later this month. I kinda feel like it's still not ready for prime time; but the Lamannia forums (https://www.ddo.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/9-Lamannia-Server) just opened up, so you can start digging into them.

and what is sole EE?
"EE" stands for "epic elite," the highest difficulty (http://ddowiki.com/page/Difficulty) setting in DDO. Being able to solo the toughest EE content is a badge of honor to the true vets. :cool:

Anything I should prep? I do have two level 5 toons (barb and a rogue splash wizard) I can gather some mats with.
You might want to acquire some decent bows, like Silver Longbow (http://ddowiki.com/page/Silver_Longbow) or the earth longbow from Cannith challenges.

Therigar
08-07-2013, 10:00 PM
One of the things that will come out of the enhancement pass looks to be the removal of past life, feat and, for the most part, enhancement prerequisites. I say "for the most part" because there are some enhancements in some trees that require lower levels to advance. And, in the case of racially qualified arcane archers, there is a minimum number of action points that must be spent in the racial tree to unlock the racially qualified AA PrE.

Best race is opinionated but players could do worse than choosing elf or half-elf. IMO half-elf will most often be the race of choice due to AA being a half-elf racial PrE. (It is also an elf PrE.) Human is probably most popular otherwise and may remain so.

It is entirely possible with the enhancement pass to be a pure class barbarian or paladin or any other pure class and still be a fully functioning arcane archer if elf or half-elf. Expect to see a number of pure monk builds that are half-elf arcane archers. Also expect to see a number of pure barbarians.

As others have posted, the enhancement pass is changing things with respect to AA and people have not had time yet to really work through what this means. Some people might think they have a good idea but the enhancement trees were changing as recently as a week ago and we still have an open beta period to go through. So, it is probably premature to say "this is how it is going to be." Although, it is probably a relatively safe thing to do....

Personally, I'm planning to convert my half-elf L20 monk 18/paladin 2 to an arcane archer -- either pure monk or some combination of monk with paladin or favored soul. I built her for a very specific purpose and she will remain fairly stagnant for a long time.

I have a L16 half-elf barbarian 15/wizard 1 that will become a pure class barbarian arcane archer. She was always intended to be a barbarian AA and even collected a sorcerer past life to qualify AA under the (soon to be) defunct system.

My suspicion is that most of my half-elf characters will end up with at least some elements of AA regardless of their actual class choice. Even rangers will be a strong combination of both tempest and arcane archer.

This ability to combine elements of multiple prestige classes is one of the most important things coming with the enhancement changes. IMO the best AA builds will leverage this in some way.

Tenebris-Niatellim
08-07-2013, 11:00 PM
...okay...I'm even more confused...pure barb AA? pure monk AA? O.O mind blown.

Sorry could you clarify??? Don't you have to be a ranger to be effective at AA? I want to use that multishot rapid damage skills AA uses as my main damage with melee as cleanup.

So I should put off rolling a AA till a few weeks when people grasp how to make a optimal AA build? Dosent that make U19 kind of a screw over for existing AAs? and other classes?

Tenebris-Niatellim
08-07-2013, 11:02 PM
btw, i'm a pure f2p (might get a adventure pack in the future but currently I'm aiming to get enough favor TP to get Delora Tomb pack)

So any build using monk or other p2p classes won't work.

Or p2p equipment. Is the silver bow etc p2p quest only obtainable?

Tenebris-Niatellim
08-07-2013, 11:03 PM
(sorry my computer is being weird and wont let me edit my posts)

how do you do cannith challengers btw/

Tenebris-Niatellim
08-08-2013, 02:05 AM
http://ddowiki.com/page/Arcane_Archer_Enhancements_(Lamannia)

These seem to be the new enhancements? Dosen't mean much to me since I was clueless in the first place. Is the reason why people take only 6 ranger levels because arcane archer only requires that much?

mna
08-08-2013, 08:23 AM
...okay...I'm even more confused...pure barb AA? pure monk AA? O.O mind blown.

Sorry could you clarify??? Don't you have to be a ranger to be effective at AA? I want to use that multishot rapid damage skills AA uses as my main damage with melee as cleanup.

So I should put off rolling a AA till a few weeks when people grasp how to make a optimal AA build? Dosent that make U19 kind of a screw over for existing AAs? and other classes?

Well, you have to be EITHER ranger, OR elf (or half-elf). Being both is of course allowed too, and there are additional feat/capability prerequisites as well.

What is "optimal" will probably change AGAIN with the enhancement system, and more than in the typical update. Especially the feat/capability prerequisites are likely to end up being relaxed somewhat.

But optimal is also a question of playing styles and the like, so it's not the same for all people.

btw, i'm a pure f2p (might get a adventure pack in the future but currently I'm aiming to get enough favor TP to get Delora Tomb pack)

So any build using monk or other p2p classes won't work.

Or p2p equipment. Is the silver bow etc p2p quest only obtainable?
The Silver Longbow is f2p - it drops from a f2p quest, and in addition to that it's also "only" binds-on-equip, so shows up in the Auction House every now and then. (Prices vary wildly, from 5000 to 500000 pp, what I've seen - hey, it's an auction...)

Actually, the older version of it didn't bind at all (and had less '+' and a lower minimum level to match), there are some of these still in circulation too.

One of my toons first bought the old version from the AH, used it for a couple of levels, then bought the newer version from the AH and passed the older version on to another player, and only after that went to that particular quest... ;-)

And yes, that as an all-f2p player.

There are other decent named bows in various adventure packs too, some bind-on-acquire and some not... see http://ddowiki.com/page/Named_weapons_by_type#Longbows .

I won't go into what's a sensible price to pay for those in the AH though, let's just say that some of my toons are using named binds-on-equip bows from packs I don't have. (And I don't actually have an Arcane Archer at all.)

how do you do cannith challengers btw/

You go to the daily token NPC who will once per day per toon give your toon a (bound to character) token, which works as a one-use "ticket" at the challenge entrances. Among other things. (Also can be used at the challenge supply things if you have plenty to spare.)

You can accumulate plenty of these if you go get one token every day but run some other content.

The challenges themselves are somewhat like the Crystal Cove quest... well, some of them more than others. (Get a Cove hat with a helpful aura now that it's open, it works in these too.)

http://ddowiki.com/page/Arcane_Archer_Enhancements_(Lamannia)

These seem to be the new enhancements? Dosen't mean much to me since I was clueless in the first place. Is the reason why people take only 6 ranger levels because arcane archer only requires that much?

There are other possible reasons for taking "only" 6 ranger levels. Say, the build written up in this (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/332212) thread for example - that one doesn't take any ranger prestige enhancements as written...

Actually, many of the "weird" AA builds don't take much at all (or any, in extreme cases) in the way of ranger levels, going by the alternate requirement of being elves or half-elves instead.

Therigar
08-08-2013, 09:00 AM
Arcane Archer is a prestige enhancement available to rangers and to elves. Because of their special nature, half-elves can also benefit from the elven ability to become Arcane Archers.

Half-elf is the normal race of choice because they are able to benefit from the special characteristics of both their human and elven parents. Of course, half-elf is not free-to-play so not always an option for players.

Elf (and half-elf) characters can choose to become Arcane Archers regardless of character class.

At present there are prerequisites to becoming an Arcane Archer that involve feat or enhancement choices. The way that it works out is that this effectively limits class selection because the character must be able to select Mental Toughness or a past-life Sorcerer feat or be able to select from a limited number of spell point increasing enhancements. But, with the upcoming enhancement changes, these prerequisites are all going away.

The impact of this is that any elf (or half-elf) willing to spend the action points on enhancements can become an Arcane Archer.

Now, this ignores some of what most players consider to be vital elements. For example, it does not address Bow Strength or Precise Shot or Improved Precise Shot or Manyshot -- all feats that increase ranged damage. The reason most builds include 6 Ranger levels is because the most coveted of these feats are granted to Rangers for free by level 6.

The most popular build currently is Ranger 6/Monk 12/something else 2. The reason for this is because of the different cool-downs on timers for Manyshot and Ten-Thousand Stars (which works with bows if a character has the Zen Archery feat).

The "something else 2" is usually Fighter 2 for free-to-play builds and Artificer 2 for pay-to-play and VIP builds -- although even those often stick with Fighter. Paladin, Rogue and Barbarian sometimes show up and some people just take more Monk levels.

The race of choice is normally half-elf, as mentioned, and the choice of dilettante varies somewhat with the player but is often Cleric or Rogue. Rogue is probably the most popular choice.

Because of the enhancement changes and the impact on compulsory feat choices it could be that more builds will short-cut some of the coveted feats to become hybrid builds. This is what I am planning with my Monk and Barbarian.

Because I no longer need Weapon Focus: Ranged and because I don't need a past life feat (or Mental Toughness) I effectively have two feat selections that I can put instead towards more important (to me) ranged feats.

My Barbarian can pick up Bow Strength, Precise Shot (she already made room for Manyshot). Because she was designed to be a ranged character I can ignore the normal melee feats and take Improved Critical: Ranged, Toughness and still have a feat to play with (but probably Improved Precise Shot). Before the enhancement changes I would never have been able to fit all of the (important to me) shooting feats in. Now I can.

My Monk isn't designed to be a ranged character. She is designed to be a melee character but will take Arcane Archer for some back-up and situational use. She is already tight on feats but benefits from Monk bonus feats. She will pass on Bow Strength and maybe even Precise Shot -- but, when all the other Monks are hunting for a useful shuriken she will be shooting a bow with magically imbued arrows.

In any case, the upcoming changes will mean a lot of potential builds for people interested in Arcane Archers.

Tenebris-Niatellim
08-08-2013, 11:55 AM
Arcane Archer is a prestige enhancement available to rangers and to elves. Because of their special nature, half-elves can also benefit from the elven ability to become Arcane Archers.

Half-elf is the normal race of choice because they are able to benefit from the special characteristics of both their human and elven parents. Of course, half-elf is not free-to-play so not always an option for players.

Elf (and half-elf) characters can choose to become Arcane Archers regardless of character class.

At present there are prerequisites to becoming an Arcane Archer that involve feat or enhancement choices. The way that it works out is that this effectively limits class selection because the character must be able to select Mental Toughness or a past-life Sorcerer feat or be able to select from a limited number of spell point increasing enhancements. But, with the upcoming enhancement changes, these prerequisites are all going away.

The impact of this is that any elf (or half-elf) willing to spend the action points on enhancements can become an Arcane Archer.

Now, this ignores some of what most players consider to be vital elements. For example, it does not address Bow Strength or Precise Shot or Improved Precise Shot or Manyshot -- all feats that increase ranged damage. The reason most builds include 6 Ranger levels is because the most coveted of these feats are granted to Rangers for free by level 6.

The most popular build currently is Ranger 6/Monk 12/something else 2. The reason for this is because of the different cool-downs on timers for Manyshot and Ten-Thousand Stars (which works with bows if a character has the Zen Archery feat).

The "something else 2" is usually Fighter 2 for free-to-play builds and Artificer 2 for pay-to-play and VIP builds -- although even those often stick with Fighter. Paladin, Rogue and Barbarian sometimes show up and some people just take more Monk levels.

The race of choice is normally half-elf, as mentioned, and the choice of dilettante varies somewhat with the player but is often Cleric or Rogue. Rogue is probably the most popular choice.

Because of the enhancement changes and the impact on compulsory feat choices it could be that more builds will short-cut some of the coveted feats to become hybrid builds. This is what I am planning with my Monk and Barbarian.

Because I no longer need Weapon Focus: Ranged and because I don't need a past life feat (or Mental Toughness) I effectively have two feat selections that I can put instead towards more important (to me) ranged feats.

My Barbarian can pick up Bow Strength, Precise Shot (she already made room for Manyshot). Because she was designed to be a ranged character I can ignore the normal melee feats and take Improved Critical: Ranged, Toughness and still have a feat to play with (but probably Improved Precise Shot). Before the enhancement changes I would never have been able to fit all of the (important to me) shooting feats in. Now I can.

My Monk isn't designed to be a ranged character. She is designed to be a melee character but will take Arcane Archer for some back-up and situational use. She is already tight on feats but benefits from Monk bonus feats. She will pass on Bow Strength and maybe even Precise Shot -- but, when all the other Monks are hunting for a useful shuriken she will be shooting a bow with magically imbued arrows.

In any case, the upcoming changes will mean a lot of potential builds for people interested in Arcane Archers.

Thanks everyone for the explanations ^_^, I understand ALOT more and I'm that less confused. So to summarize, people usually get a 12monk/6 ranger/ 2 something (fighter from what I've seen) build so that they could cover the coveted ranger skills that you get for free at 6, and the rest for backup when those essential AA skills i.e multi shot are on cooldown so that they aren't entirely helpless when that happens.

But everything changed when the fire nation att...when U19 goes into effect, so 12 monk/ 6 ranger/ 2 fighter may no longer be the popular/"optimal" build because you might not need to take some levels to get the perquisite feats.

Tenebris-Niatellim
08-08-2013, 03:00 PM
BTW, I want to get started working on my AA and it seems having some TR in ranger is nice. So is there any archery based ranger builds that are reliable to work on right now?

Therigar
08-08-2013, 03:26 PM
Well, you certainly can go ahead with a ranger arcane archer right now. It isn't like the current builds are going to become absolute garbage with the update. They will still be very playable.

If you level at a somewhat typical speed you'll just be hitting your stride when the update kicks in so you'll be in a good position.

Plus, rumor is that existing characters will get a free reincarnation to allow them to change some of the essential things (stats, skills, feats) and perhaps even make some limited class changes (say adding in monk or removing monk levels). I'm fairly sure that the rumor will end up being fact since we got to test drive the +20 LR on Lamannia.

If you are anxious to start go ahead and roll up a character. Start with ranger for 6 levels then make the jump to monk (if you want to go that route). Otherwise just continue on with ranger levels. When the update hits you'll be able to make the feat adjustments and it will still give you a reasonable character that you can learn with and enjoy.

Tenebris-Niatellim
08-08-2013, 03:36 PM
Well, you certainly can go ahead with a ranger arcane archer right now. It isn't like the current builds are going to become absolute garbage with the update. They will still be very playable.

If you level at a somewhat typical speed you'll just be hitting your stride when the update kicks in so you'll be in a good position.

Plus, rumor is that existing characters will get a free reincarnation to allow them to change some of the essential things (stats, skills, feats) and perhaps even make some limited class changes (say adding in monk or removing monk levels). I'm fairly sure that the rumor will end up being fact since we got to test drive the +20 LR on Lamannia.

If you are anxious to start go ahead and roll up a character. Start with ranger for 6 levels then make the jump to monk (if you want to go that route). Otherwise just continue on with ranger levels. When the update hits you'll be able to make the feat adjustments and it will still give you a reasonable character that you can learn with and enjoy.

That's reassuring. I still can't seem to find any 28 point builds that utilize arcane archer very well. Found this these two does it look like itll be decent to follow for a while?

http://orderofcavelrystree.guildportal.com/Guild.aspx?GuildID=355860&TabID=2979484&ForumID=1692231&TopicID=8968474

http://event-horizon.guildportal.com/Guild.aspx?GuildID=349832&TabID=2929133&ForumID=1660524&TopicID=8883726

unbongwah
08-08-2013, 03:44 PM
BTW, I want to get started working on my AA and it seems having some TR in ranger is nice. So is there any archery based ranger builds that are reliable to work on right now?
Honestly, I would just start with a typical pure ranger AA build until you get the hang of things. This thread (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/263907) is an oldie-but-goodie, which covers the basics pretty well; some of its advice will be rendered obsolete when the enhancement changes go live, but it's enough to get you started. Plus, if you really do decide to ride the TR Train, having a rgr past life for +2 ranged dmg is a no-brainer.

Though as a newbie, I think you're badly underestimating what a time-sink TRing can turn into. :cool:

Tenebris-Niatellim
08-08-2013, 03:48 PM
Honestly, I would just start with a typical pure ranger AA build until you get the hang of things. This thread (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/263907) is an oldie-but-goodie, which covers the basics pretty well; some of its advice will be rendered obsolete when the enhancement changes go live, but it's enough to get you started. Plus, if you really do decide to ride the TR Train, having a rgr past life for +2 ranged dmg is a no-brainer.

Though as a newbie, I think you're badly underestimating what a time-sink TRing can turn into. :cool:

Yeah TRing will be an absolute time sink. I probably will be still trying to get past my first life over a year from now. I mean getting to level 5 was a pain ^_^. But if I have motivation and a goal it's a fun ride there. Even if I never reach my goal, if I enjoy the time I spend trying to get there it'll be worth it.

BTW ty for the link

Tenebris-Niatellim
08-08-2013, 04:19 PM
Just asking but why do some builds not have skill distributions listed? Does it not really matter or is it just saying go my the recommended skills on creation?

I'm thinking of maxing concentration, Tumble, Balance, UMD and Spot, is that a good idea? I see some people recommending heal, and some saying put only 1 point into tumble etc. Can anyone clarifiy?

Tenebris-Niatellim
08-08-2013, 04:25 PM
or maybe 2 in concentration 2 in heal?

Coyopa
08-08-2013, 05:00 PM
Just asking but why do some builds not have skill distributions listed? Does it not really matter or is it just saying go my the recommended skills on creation?

I'm thinking of maxing concentration, Tumble, Balance, UMD and Spot, is that a good idea? I see some people recommending heal, and some saying put only 1 point into tumble etc. Can anyone clarifiy?

Concentration is good. Tumble, in my opinion, is not. It's a flavor skill for the most part, even though I have max'd it on my rogue every life. Spot is almost a necessity so you can see the well-hidden enemies. I personally go Concentration, Hide, Move Silenty, Jump (up to a point), and Spot on my ranger. With Jump, most people will only train at most 10 ranks because rangers get the Jump spell, which will give you +30 jump (if you reach ranger level 11). I personally prefer to keep it max'd because I like not having to rely on the Jump spell, but this is just a personal preference and I have thought about doing it the other way.

Many people like UMD, but I have never felt like I needed it on my ranger. You already get free access to cure wands, which is the focus of most people's choice for UMD. Plus, for me, I tend not to include much gear that bumps UMD on most of my characters (outside of +6 charisma and maybe some green steel that bumps all my charisma skills) and the fact that my gear does not help my UMD much means that my UMD tends to remain low enough as to not be useful.

Balance is always nice for when you get knocked over and I would take it if I felt like I could fit it in, but that never seems to work out for me except on high intelligence characters (rogue, artificer, wizard).

I take Hide and Move Silently because I do tend to sneak around monsters (especially when hunting a wilderness area) in order to get in a good position to mow them down. Move Silently tends to be more important than Hide, but keeping them both high is necessary.

Anyway, that's my thoughts on skills for what's it worth.

Tenebris-Niatellim
08-08-2013, 07:28 PM
So I got 2 points in heal for the bonus hp at the rest altar.

Does this sound okay?

I'm keeping concentration maxed, UMD maxed, Balance Maxed, Spot maxed, 1 point in tumble for the roll, put 10 points in jump? And 2 heal.

Anything I should change?

Coyopa
08-08-2013, 08:05 PM
I think those are reasonable choices. From your other posts, you will eventually true reincarnate. So, if you find you dislike the choices you can easily change them then. You also get a free lesser reincarnation already and you will get another in just 11 days. So, you can use either of those to make any changes you see fit as you level your character and learn how you want to play him.

Tenebris-Niatellim
08-08-2013, 08:16 PM
what is a lesser reincarnation?

Therigar
08-08-2013, 08:43 PM
Lesser reincarnation is a way to rebuild a character without losing levels. Every character gets a free lesser reincarnation that they can use once and only once. You can use it on your first life to fix a character if you found you did something wrong or you can save it for your umpteenth life. But, once used it is gone.

The free reincarnation does not allow you to make any changes to class choices but does start you off with the character creation screen where you can change anything except character class, alignment and race. So, stat distribution, skill choices and level 1 feats can be changed as can your hair style and other cosmetic details.

Other forms of lesser reincarnation involve finding, buying from the auction house, or buying from Turbine a heart of wood. This comes in four common varieties -- one without any + value and +1, +3 and +5 variants. The hearts with + values allow you to make changes to the class selection with some limitations.

You can never have more than 3 character classes. This includes classes already associated with the character even if you haven't leveled back to the point where you selected them. You also cannot choose a class that would violate alignment restrictions (say, choosing barbarian when your character is LG).

After the creation menu is finished the reincarnated character can be logged into the game and starts on an air ship where a trainer will let you go through the leveling process until you are back to the level of the character at the time of the lesser reincarnation.

A variation on this is greater reincarnation that works the same way but lets you convert a 28 point build to a 32 point build (does not apply to drow). For GR to work you have to have earned enough favor to unlock veteran build status or you have to buy veteran status from the store.

These both differ from True Reincarnation which starts you over again at level 1 but with a past life. The past life is always the character class that you had the most of at the time of the TR. When 2 classes are tied for the most levels the past life is determined alphabetically from the original classes or in the order that they were introduced for the classes that were added later. Only the heroic levels count in this because epic levels are classless.

With a TR you can change everything except gender. Once a female always a female, once a male always a male.

Future plans call for merging LR and GR together so that a qualified character would automatically upgrade to 32 point build, retaining TR essentially as is, and adding an epic reincarnation. ER would give an epic past destiny feat and start the character over at somewhere in the heroic path. The precise spot would be based on the amount of epic XP at the time of the ER. Current plans include the possibility of using an ER to immediately return to L20.

The catch with ER is that all epic and destiny XP would be lost and characters would have to level those over again (similar to how we presently level heroic levels over again on TR).

Therigar
08-08-2013, 09:03 PM
Regarding skills, note that each skill has an associated stat. Jump is tied to STR, spot to WIS, heal to CON, etc.

Also note that some skills have hard caps. The best known example of this is Jump which hard caps at +40. This is why people say Jump 10 and then with a jump spell you add +30 -- takes you to the hard cap of +40.

But, jump could be entirely unnecessary if you had STR 30 -- because jump is a STR skill and STR 30 is +10 to all STR skills....

Some skills only function if you actually have at least 1 full rank in them. Tumble is the best example of this. You cannot tumble at all if you do not have at least 1 rank in tumble. Wearing a tumble item doesn't change this. The tumble spell, OTOH, does seem to enable you to tumble even if you otherwise have no ranks.

Spot is a WIS skill. If your purpose is to see hidden enemies then you do not need to max the spot skill. Typically 6 to 10 ranks will be sufficient. Spot reveals hidden enemy, not invisible ones. For that you need true seeing. Spot also works to detect traps and secret doors. It detects them but it doesn't tell you where they are. For that you need search -- search is an INT skill. True seeing works on secret doors but not traps.

A solid ranger build is a rogue 1/ranger 19. Rogue at level 1 then ranger the rest of the way. Rogue skills are the largest at start so you can go heavy on search, disable, spot and open locks. Ranger is the second most skills so you can keep search and disable maxed out along with adequate spot, jump, etc.

Keep in mind that feat prerequisites for prestige enhancements are going away and that you will be able to choose from all three of the ranger prestige trees. The level of rogue will also allow you to make some choices from the three rogue prestige trees. Some pretties open up with 4 rogue levels. The new enhancements should be out in time for you to decide if that is a direction with value to you before you level cap the character.

Heal is going to be more valuable after the update than it is now because it will affect the spell power of your cure wounds spells. So, you gain double benefit if you take it as a skill -- both when resting at shrines and when casting cure spells.

I personally like bluff and diplomacy. Bluff has some very good uses for pulling mobs in limited numbers. If I can have only one I prefer bluff.

But, mostly, skill choice is somewhat individual based on what you really want to achieve. Nice thing about the free LR, if you mess it up badly you can always try again.

unbongwah
08-09-2013, 09:09 AM
In some cases it's because what skills you take are either irrelevant or up to the player's preferences. In some cases it's because the builder is lazy and distributing points is a PITA. *raises hand* :o

Anyway, a partial overview of skills (http://ddowiki.com/page/Skills) I find useful:

Balance: affects how quickly you get up from knockdown effects.
Concentration: affects whether you can cast a spell or use a scroll while being damaged. [The Quicken feat lets you cast spells w/out making a Concentration check; but it doesn't apply to scrolls.]
Haggle: each rank of Haggle is worth +/-0.25% to anything you sell or buy. [Typically I create one "hagglebot" - usually a CHA-based bard - per server to help stretch my plat as far as possible.]
Heal: currently nigh-useless, but in the Enhancement revamp it will boost your positive Spellpower (i.e., Cure spells); so it will be worth maxing out if you want to self-heal.
Hide & Move Silently (MS): affects stealth, obviously; Hide is to avoid Spot checks, MS is to avoid Listen checks. Typically I will either invest in both; or invest only in MS and rely on Invisibility so I don't need Hide. [Note that Invisibility won't fool anything with True Seeing and a beholder's anti-magic cone cancels it out; so there are times when having a good Hide skill is better.]
Jump: affects how high you jump (duh); it caps out at 40 and rangers can cast Jump spell (max +30), so I usually only put a few ranks (or none) into it on my rgrs.
Listen & Spot: allows you to find hidden monsters; Spot will also let you find hidden doors & low-lvl traps w/out rog or arty splash. As such, I find Spot to be more useful of the two.
Tumble: typically I only put one rank into it to unlock it; apart from dodging, tumbling is good for moving though things which slow you down normally (like water). Although sometimes I'll max it out on my rogs & bards, because backflips are cool. :cool:
Use Magic Device (UMD): the single most useful skill in the game, if you can get your score high enough. It lets you bypass racial & alignment restrictions on equipment, as well as use wands & scrolls you otherwise couldn't. Hitting UMD 39 is the usual goal, because it lets you use Heal scrolls with 95% success chance (you always fail on a roll of 1); but even below that mark, there are plenty of useful buffs UMD lets you use.

So on a pure rgr, presuming base INT 8, I would max out Concentration, Heal (post-overhaul), Balance, and UMD (remember half-ranks do nothing), with a rank of Tumble to unlock it; then probably split my remaining pts between Spot & MS (and carry some Invisibility pots/clickies).