PDA

View Full Version : Are we missing a lot without a rogue?

Steeve2000
08-02-2013, 04:34 PM
Hi my gf and I are starting our first characters and we were wondering if we will be missing out a lot if none of us have any rogue level. We were concerned about locked chests and hidden doors mostly since as a monk and barb we should survive traps.

Stoner81
08-02-2013, 06:16 PM
Traps hit hard later on and especially when doing quests on Elite, for now just enjoy the game and learn :) locked chests give random loot only (as far as I know) so you won't be missing much.

Stoner81.

nibel
08-02-2013, 08:12 PM
Depends on what you define by "a lot".

Loot-wise, not much. You might lose something between zero and five chests per quests just because none of you can find any secret doors, disarm dangerous traps, or unlock chests. It tends more to zero than five, but some extra chests are tasty on itself.

Exploration-wise, definitelly. Almost all quests have alternate paths and extra rooms that are locked behind a rune, secret door, trapped corridor, and locked gates. Some of them have keys scattered around the quest, but not all. You definitelly want to revisit some quests once you guys get a rogue.

XP-wise, is debatable. Some quests have easy and rich optionals behind locked/hidden stuff (like Desecrated Temple of Vol). Disarming traps also can give you up to +15% XP on each quest. Finding doors, up to +10%. But stopping to search for doors/traps may take a while in some quests. Specialy if you don't know where the traps and their boxes are.

Istaria1
08-02-2013, 08:26 PM
Absolutely you are.

You are playing as a duo, I assume. I'll also assume you have your healing/buffs/CC/etc worked between you. Disabling and finding hidden can not only add nice XP to your quests, but you will also find all those hidden nooks and crannies that will make the game alot richer for you.

Personally I am biased - all my characters have 2 rogue levels for Evasion and trapping (and opening locks), and I love the fact that nowhere is out of bounds to me :)

Aes

Steeve2000
08-02-2013, 09:47 PM
Thank you for your inputs, I think I will roll a rogue instead of a monk. The monk looked fun though, I feel I will have a hard time sticking to one character there are so many things to try!

AbyssalMage
08-02-2013, 09:58 PM
Thank you for your inputs, I think I will roll a rogue instead of a monk. The monk looked fun though, I feel I will have a hard time sticking to one character there are so many things to try!
2 levels of rogue should be plenty although this may be bad advice with U19 around the corner.

1) Hidden Doors can be found with Detect Secret Doors/True Seeing which you can find on items/gear.

2) Traps may be a problem for the Barbarian on Elite because there is only so much "too the face" any toon can take, but not impossible.

3) Chests - Knock Wands are doable but you need the UMD to wield them and neither class you talked about is known for UMD (actually they are both known for the opposite). Rogue, Artificer, Wizard, Bard, and Sorcerer can all get into chests either through skill (UMD and/or open lock) or spell.

Therefore decide how important #3 is for you because 1 and 2 are trivial.

Philibusta
08-02-2013, 10:08 PM

Each of you should have at least 2 character slots per server. There are 8 servers, so even if you're both f2p, you each have at least 16 character slots. :) plenty of room to try all the different classes you want.

Also, as new players, at least until you both find that one or two servers you want to "settle" into playing on, remember this: the first 100 favor you earn on each server gets you 100 Turbine Points. And they get pooled into your account. So you may want to consider trying out those different classes on other servers, while earning yourselves some TP for adventure packs (or, if you've subscribed, or other goodies from the DDO Store...like the Expansions).

EllisDee37
08-06-2013, 08:24 AM
You aren't missing a lot, but you're not missing nothing, either. Enough to be annoying, I'd say, so if one of you is up for rolling up some sort of trapper I'd recommend doing so.

Istaria1
08-09-2013, 01:20 PM
What Ellis said, and bear in mind that you don;t need to 'absolutely decide' on a class - DDO will allow you to multiclass. As mentioned earlier in the thread (by Abby I think - listen to him, he's clever), 2 rogue levels on a char with reasonable intelligence can be enough for any trap or lock in the game (Maybe not on Elite in all instances, but for a duo levelling, sure).

Popular ones are the Pale Trapper (Wiz 18/Rog 2 Pale Master), any Artificer, Juggernaut (kinda advanced, at least to me), and loads of other 2 rogue/x whatever splits.

Nothing at all stopping you going ahead with your preferred class but with a 2 level rogue splash. If you take my advice (and this could be off), if you do this go at least 12 Int at creation just for the skill points.

EDIT: Common practice is to take rogue at level 1 (for the skill points) and then again at 9 - it's a nice balance of having evasion early enough to use it, while having already hit your first PrE in your main class.

Aes.