PDA

View Full Version : Need cleric advice for gear

DeKalbSun
08-01-2013, 12:31 PM
So, I've been running my Cleric alt and just wanted to know what kind of gear I should be looking for. This is my first
caster and I'm interested in being a good healer for a group, and being able to solo decently. I'm at level 9 now and
most of the gear I have is hand me downs from my melee toons. Any advice for gear and where to quest for it would be
great.
thanks a bunch and good hunting

susiedupfer
08-01-2013, 01:52 PM
We need some basic info, please! What level are you now, and what level are you intending to get to with that toon? Are you F2P, or P2P?

DeKalbSun
08-01-2013, 02:30 PM
well, I did state I am level 9 now. Ideally I'd like to get to 20 and see how it goes from there. My main interest is being able
to heal a party and of course defend myself. I've got the radient savant enchancement. Since I'm new to spell casting, I was wondering
which items I should ideally be looking for. Anything would help at this point, as this toon is severly undergeared.
thanks again for any advice.

DeKalbSun
08-01-2013, 02:36 PM
Oh, and I'm VIP (sorry for extra post..gave up trying to edit previous one)

unbongwah
08-01-2013, 03:10 PM
A lot depends on what sort of cleric you're playing and what content you can access. Still, some general recommendations:

Survivability: Heavy Fortification, False Life (at least Improved), Resistance +4 or better (use Nightshield until then), Vitality, +CON (or keep spamming Bear's Endurance); possibly some DR or guard effects like Life Shield.
Healing: a Devotion item, naturally, as well as Lesser Turning (http://ddowiki.com/page/Lesser_Turning). Also +WIS and +CHA items.

At lvl 9, a good place to start is farming Relic of a Sovereign Past (http://ddowiki.com/page/A_Relic_of_a_Sovereign_Past) on Casual for adamantine items (http://ddowiki.com/page/Category:A_Relic_of_a_Sovereign_Past_reward_items) ; the hvy armor, shield, bracers (IFL+Heroism clickie+yellow augment), necklace (Heavy Fort), and helm are all useful if you don't have anything better. You can also farm the Red Fens sets (http://ddowiki.com/page/Named_item_sets#Red_Fens_Item_Sets), in particular Divine Blessing. In a couple of levels, the Sora Kell set may be worth picking up; and the Scepter of Healing (http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Scepter_of_Healing) from Invaders! (http://ddowiki.com/page/Invaders), although I wouldn't want to farm it before you have the gear for fighting beholders.

susiedupfer
08-02-2013, 06:01 AM
I make sure I have WIS, CHA, STR, CON with max enhancements for my level on all clerics to keep them at even numbers. This changes every couple of levels or so as you add enhancements and such.

Fortification, False Life are must haves on all toons. Again, max level for the toon.

Devotion and potency items are necessary to cast well.

Spell point items. You can't cast without spell points. And clerics do not get huge mana pools. Magi, archmagi items are really helpful. Also look for Wizardry V or above until you get to Archmagi levels.

The first named items I can think of for a cleric that are really helpful is the Sora Kell Set from Lordsmarch Plaza.

When you get to Shroud running levels, I would make the following items ASAP. Concordant Opposition and HP/Heavy Fortification. You won't be able to use them together until you have done 20 Shrouds, but they are super useful for TR'ing. So, you won't regret it. Do be very careful on what items you make as you will need lots of slots free for twink gear later, and you do not want to be remaking this stuff. I use belt/goggles/gloves slots on my various toons.

Now, I have a question about what you mean when you say defend yourself. Clerics come in various flavors, and this will become much more apparent after the enhancement pass on the 19th of this month. Melee based clerics need one set of gear, and caster(evoker) based clerics need a different set. To be any more specific, we need to know which kind you intend to be.

DeKalbSun
08-02-2013, 09:32 AM
Thanks so much for the adivce from both of you. I plan being an evoker I think. I like the idea of being behind the frontline and casting spells
and throwing heals, which is pretty different from every other toon I've played which is why it seems a little foriegn to me.
Thanks again!

PsychoBlonde
08-02-2013, 12:52 PM
I have an extensively invested cleric, so I'm going to give you a bunch of generic advice as well as gear advice:

1. Consider taking two levels of monk if you care about survivability and general effectiveness. This will get you evasion, wisdom adding to AC, and also gets you access to Water Stance which boosts your wisdom score. The cleric capstone(s) are pretty worthless compared to what you get from monk.

2. Consider doing a ranged build with a bow. Primarily you need 3 feats to accomplish this: Point Blank Shot, Rapid Shot, and Manyshot. Zen archery is also highly advisable. Taking the 2 levels of monk is also highly advisable because it gets you 2 extra feats that you can use to get Zen Archery and Toughness, making your build a lot easier to do. Doing this does require you to have a 17 base dex, which is easily doable with stat tomes but may be problematic without them. The reason why I suggest this is that it keeps you out of close-quarters melee so you can hang back and keep your party in view. This makes placing crowd control/heals a TON easier and also means you're not eating damage you don't have to be. My housemate and I both have done extremely effective clerics this way--mine was a full Arcane Archer and his wasn't and both were extremely good characters with enormous "last to die" and "recover from wipe" chops.

3. You can get some nice ML 10 armor out of Gianthold (elfcraft/giantcraft/dragoncraft--you pick, they all have their points) by buying or just asking for the turn-in relics. Pretty much everybody who has ever done a TR has a huge, enormous, insane pile of the non-epic relics sitting in the bank because Gianthold is a major XP farm area. You can also farm Gianthold Tor or just trade for/buy dragon scales to get what is pretty much THE BEST armor in the game from levels 14-20. I personally prefer white dragon scale just because it does so much for slot consolidation--heavy fort, protection +5, good AC, and a shield bonus to AC to boot. Blue dragon is nice for casters, but I tend to prefer getting the caster bonuses elsewhere.

4. You can get 20 tapestry shreds very easily out of the Orchard of the Macabre explore area (or off the AH, or just whine at guildies) and turn these in for your choice of very nice helms. Tradusor, Minos Legens, and Seraphim all have some nice bennies for the type of character you're playing.

5. Tome pages are more difficult to get, but if you don't go the bow route you can get a very nice item out of the tome page turn in called "Skiver". Not only does this item have Archmagi on it (200 sp), it also gives you a bonus to all of your spell criticals.

6. The quest Relic of a Sovereign Past has a section where you can pick up adamantine ore and at the end of that hallway, turn it in for a number of items, several of which are useful and one of which has heavy fortification on it (the necklace). The ore drop is always the same so you can solo this quest on casual and get the same amount of ore and the same access to items.

7. The quest Invaders drops Invasion Tokens in the end chest that you can turn in to get a choice of four useful items.

8. Check out the challenge reward vendors in House C, as many of them have nice items that are relatively easy to get. (Anything you can get from turn-ins is easier than items that drop in chests because the turn-ins are always there and the random drops are, well, RANDOM.) The elemental longbow of earth in particular is a great bow for a bow cleric.

9. At 9th level, you can get a fair selection of decent gear by running the Red Fens quests a couple of times each--most of them are short and not too hard, good XP for your level, and they drop set items. In particular, you want to get a Sacred Helm and Ring. These are a very nice low-level cleric set and the helm has Deathblock on it which will spare you a lot of grief with beholders.

10. Turn Undead looks like a **** ability when you first start out as a cleric. IT IS NOT. It's worth it to invest a few points in improved turning (usually not extra turning) and getting some items with Sacred or Hallowed or Eternal Faith on them because there are a LOT of undead and with just a few DC boosters and a charisma item you can DEVASTATE them. My heavily invested cleric can turn the giant skeletons in Epic Hard Gianthold. It's a phenomenally useful ability, just requires a bit of investment to get it into the valuable range. Having Radiant Servant means that when you turn undead (which would normally just paralyze them), they are actually DESTROYED. So, look into it.

11. Check on the AH regularly for named items--there are a ton of useful named items in the game that don't bind on acquire so people sell them all the time. Good ones to look out for:

Locus of Vol
Boots of the Innocent
Cloak of Ice
Shamanic Fetish
Girdle of Faith
Belt of Thoughtful Remembrance
Ethereal Bracers
Guidance of Shar

Those are all a few levels above where you are, but you'll get to them and it'll be nice to have stuff then.

DeKalbSun
08-02-2013, 01:48 PM
Thanks PsychoBlonde for taking the time for such in depth advice. This will prove very useful to me

unbongwah
08-02-2013, 01:50 PM
3. You can get some nice ML 10 armor out of Gianthold (elfcraft/giantcraft/dragoncraft--you pick, they all have their points) by buying or just asking for the turn-in relics.
Good point: I'd probably go for Elfcraft plate (http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Elfcraft_Plate_Armor) on a pure cleric, then upgrade later.

6. The quest Relic of a Sovereign Past has a section where you can pick up adamantine ore and at the end of that hallway, turn it in for a number of items, several of which are useful and one of which has heavy fortification on it (the necklace). The ore drop is always the same so you can solo this quest on casual and get the same amount of ore and the same access to items.
I forgot to link this guide (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/284046). The nice thing about RoSP is you do not need to complete it in order to claim the ore items; that means you won't break your Bravery streak (if you have one) by Casual-farming it. Just make your item(s), Recall out, and restart if you need more items. Leftover ore can either be passed to alts, saved for adamantine rituals (http://ddowiki.com/page/Adamantine_Ritual), or sold on the AH.

firemedium_jt
08-02-2013, 11:10 PM
I will also chime in with Toughness feat and enhancements just in case you don't have it.

Heavy fort ASAP. Moderate ASAP till heavy.

Lots of info to repeat but why bother.

Not much on weapons so...

For heroic levels 8-20 get a Paralyzer (ML10) for mobs. Will help out in slayers and when you are running to quest entrances solo. If you plan on a BB then Cursespewing might be better to get them in the blades vs. Paralyzer. They might be paralyzed outside the blades. Paralyzer is a great way to avoid casting blade barrier, lol.

Invisibility item is nice for solo slayer runs too.

Heroism item with 3 clicks 5 minutes each for saving throws

Everbright for slimes and rust monsters.

Metalline melee for bosses, but you might not be built for that.

Divine Power item with some clicks (over a minute each click). If you are melee built then have a few for about 10-20 clicks total till next shrine.

Melee is mostly just opportunity knocks for Divine Casters and casters. Unless you built for melee. Even if you don't have the build for melee a Divine Power item is nice on any Divine and even casters (with Master's Touch spell) for those mobs and spell point conservation. Not that bad at Auction.