PDA

View Full Version : 15shards to reroll loot? No thank you. How Turbine can make more money inside:

Delacroix21
08-01-2013, 04:07 AM
Guys seriously. I know you are fishing for ideas to increase revenue but this isn't one of them. 15 shards to reroll loot is silly, and priced way to high. 5 shards and we might consider it, but ONLY if it increases our shot at named items dropping.

Honestly the answers for you guys to make more money is staring you in the face: look at Neverwinter. Have you guys seen how that game made millions in its Beta alone? Ask yourselves what their store has that ours doesn't. Need a hint?

Their store sells Epics, ours sells mostly lowbie junk!

There you have it! You guys came up with the lotto system to make yourselves money, but you know almost nobody uses it except for freebie rolls. The reason is once again the rewards are junk! It simply costs less to buy the items directly then to roll for them. No one pays for gold rolls because why would you? If rolling a 100 on a gold roll won you a random + 10 tome do you think people might be buying shards for rolls? You bet! It's the lottery guys, they wouldn't sell many tickets if the reward was $50 bucks instead of $50,000,000. The same can be said of selling epics in some form in our store or challenge ingredients etc.

Sure you will get a group of players complaining of PtW, just like people complain about neverwinter being PtW. But these sort of players don't put much money into your mmo anyway, in fact they try to get as much out of a game for as little money as they possibly can. Not exactly the customer base your shareholders want you pandering to. So take a lesson here, and either reduce costs of items/lotto/rerolls of loot to something cheap enough to offset both the randomness and the poor quality of the rewards, or start adding some amazing stuff in the lotto and store that will make people want to fork over the $30 or more dollars each month to go for it.

unacceptable
08-01-2013, 09:26 AM
I don't think they should sell loot like Neverwinter.

Rerolling doesn't make much sense to me becuase 15 shards is roughly worth 75 cents. The odds of getting a seal of the antique great axe is so low I am not going to throw away 75 cents every time i run the quest. Based on how many times I've seen it drop since U14 I am fairly sure the % chance rounded to the nearest percent is still 0 with the re-roll.

Does anyone know if you can even get a named item /shard/seal/etc from a re-roll? Or is it just the random junk you are re-rolling on?

Delacroix21
08-01-2013, 06:39 PM
Well its unclear if rerolling loot helps you get a 2nd chance at named loot but yes as you said, 75cents per reroll (likely getting you the exact same value of vendor trash) is insane.

10cents per reroll might get people to use it. 5cents and you bet your booty people would!

So here are your choices=
1. Make rerolls cost 1 shard "5cents" (people will use this CONSTANTLY, netting several dollars a week)
2. Keep rerolls at 15shards "75cents" (people will almost NEVER use this feature, netting you 3 dollars per player before they realize what a waste this is)

Be SMART turbine! Start thinking in real business terms. You are selling electronic goods that COST you nothing. You will ALWAYS have a positive profit margin no matter what the price. Price low and consumer demand will be HIGH!

redspecter23
08-01-2013, 07:35 PM
I think they are making money somewhere off the new daily dice. I've spent $0 on shards from the store and earn all mine through the ASAH and I do a discount gold roll every day with accumulated shards. Someone down the line is paying for those rolls, but it's not me so I'm not complaining.

I do agree that there are more ways to make money from the store than they are currently exploring. I like one time buys like quest packs and storage (though I find much of that overcosted). I don't go in for consumables or one shots unless it's basically for free to me like the gold rolls. I no longer buy xp pots or loot gems as I get more than I need from astral shard rolls.

Some items like the enhanced heal scrolls and HoT pots are wasted coding for me as I don't buy consumables with real money if I can help it. Now if I could spend TP to unlock a vendor that would sell me such things for plat, I'd be much more interested. Give me a way to "buyout" instead of buying over time. For me, that would turn $0 into $5, $10 or whatever it cost if it were reasonable. Sell me an unlimited use airship teleport clickie for $10. I'll buy that, but I refuse to buy the consumable portals. It's not likely to happen. Turbine is catering to the crowd that enjoys consumables and I'm sure they're making their money, but it would be nice if there were more options for people like me that don't mind spending money, but do not like "renting" content in the form of consumable access. I had enough of that in the 80's popping quarters into the machines. I shouldn't have to do that when I play at home.

To get back on topic there is an issue with the chest rerolls. Make it too high and nobody will use it except the rich and foolish or on chests that have amazing named loot in them. Price it too low then there will start to be an assumption that a reroll will occur on many high level chests with decent loot. The new expected drop rate of items will assume a reroll will take place so instead of 5% drop rates, we start to see 3% drop rates with rerolls assumed. If they absolutely must keep this mechanic, I think it should be removed from any chest that can't have named loot in it for starters and probably just plain removed from any chest under level 8 or so.

slarden
08-01-2013, 11:50 PM
Well its unclear if rerolling loot helps you get a 2nd chance at named loot but yes as you said, 75cents per reroll (likely getting you the exact same value of vendor trash) is insane.

10cents per reroll might get people to use it. 5cents and you bet your booty people would!

So here are your choices=
1. Make rerolls cost 1 shard "5cents" (people will use this CONSTANTLY, netting several dollars a week)
2. Keep rerolls at 15shards "75cents" (people will almost NEVER use this feature, netting you 3 dollars per player before they realize what a waste this is)

Be SMART turbine! Start thinking in real business terms. You are selling electronic goods that COST you nothing. You will ALWAYS have a positive profit margin no matter what the price. Price low and consumer demand will be HIGH!

I agree I would probably spend more if the roll was 1-2 shards but am not likely to pay 15 shards for an extremely rare item I am unlikely to get anyhow. But if it was low as you suggest, year I am likely going to reroll on any chest with something I want.

caissede12
08-02-2013, 06:31 AM
I kinda disagree. setting it to 1-2 shard would allow everyone who spend $ on tp/AS getting nearly perma 2x roll (Which would increase the amount of good item way too much) making a huge line between people who dosnt spend $ anymore. I can see AS giving a 20-25% "drop increase" (being used from time to time, on XYZ chest/quest only), not 100% of the time by everyone. I would prefer 10AS, even 5 at minimum (but kinda find it low). But 1-2AS is just way too low imo.

Gwyxxx
08-02-2013, 07:00 AM
I kinda disagree. setting it to 1-2 shard would allow everyone who spend $ on tp/AS getting nearly perma 2x roll (Which would increase the amount of good item way too much) making a huge line between people who dosnt spend $ anymore. I can see AS giving a 20-25% "drop increase" (being used from time to time, on XYZ chest/quest only), not 100% of the time by everyone. I would prefer 10AS, even 5 at minimum (but kinda find it low). But 1-2AS is just way too low imo.

That's not true.
I gain astral shard selling items. Not a lot, I have about 600 AS at the moment.
I can afford 1/2 shard roll but not 15/10 maybe even 5.
Who spend $ I don't think will do so much difference... is always cheaper than a raid clepsidre.
A lower price is good expecially for players that want use the astral shard system without spending money in it (but they spend the money of someone else, so is good enough for turbine too)

Qaliya
08-02-2013, 07:07 AM
I think 15,000 AS to reroll would be a good number, if infinity isn't a choice.

Turbine is continuing to step over the line dividing reasonable microtransactions from game-destroying ones.