PDA

View Full Version : Help with 1st Character (28pt) Warforged Artificer build

Faerzress
07-26-2013, 11:15 AM
Hi everyone,

New to DDO and trying to figure out a good first character build (28 pts, no gear, no money, etc..) and a few people brought up a warforged artificer. I was curious if you guys had any builds for me to look at and get my head around.

Thanks!

Livmo
07-26-2013, 11:39 AM
Welcome Faerzress,

Allot of arty is about preference. I prefer human arty over warforgered. If you take the Construct Essence feat as a human arty you become a cyborg. You can use both heal and repair spells on yourself. However, there are pros and cons to this.

Construct Essence

Usage: Passive
Prerequisite: Artificer 3, Non-warforged race

Description

You are on the path to becoming a self-forged, augmenting yourself by replacing some of your weak flesh. You are still considered your original race (at this time), gaining 50% healing from Repair spells but suffering a -25% penalty to positive energy healing. In addition, you now take 50% damage from rust effects.

I am Borg :D

Best,

Liv

Hi everyone,

New to DDO and trying to figure out a good first character build (28 pts, no gear, no money, etc..) and a few people brought up a warforged artificer. I was curious if you guys had any builds for me to look at and get my head around.

Thanks!

unbongwah
07-29-2013, 10:34 AM
Before anyone else mentions it: the Juggernaut (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/404822-The-Juggernaut-Prime-of-the-Warforged) is an amazing build, but it's not remotely what I would call "newbie-friendly;" way too dependent on extra build pts, gear, EDs, etc. to hit its full potential. It could probably be downgraded to a 28-pt melee-only version; but without Bow STR+Manyshot, it loses its best burst-DPS option.

Here is what a "classic" ranged+caster-focused WF arty build looks like:

Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 03.16.01
DDO Character Planner Home Page (http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO)

Level 20 True Neutral Warforged Male
(20 Artificer)
Hit Points: 272
Spell Points: 1157
BAB: 15\15\20\25\25
Fortitude: 10
Reflex: 10
Will: 11

Starting Feat/Enhancement
Abilities Base Stats Modified Stats
(32 Point) (Level 1) (Level 20)
Strength 8 10
Dexterity 16 19
Constitution 16 18
Intelligence 18 26
Wisdom 6 8
Charisma 6 8

Tomes Used
+2 Tome of Strength used at level 7
+2 Tome of Dexterity used at level 7
+2 Tome of Constitution used at level 7
+2 Tome of Intelligence used at level 7
+2 Tome of Wisdom used at level 7
+2 Tome of Charisma used at level 7
+3 Tome of Dexterity used at level 11

Level 1 (Artificer)
Feat: (Selected) Point Blank Shot

Level 2 (Artificer)

Level 3 (Artificer)
Feat: (Selected) Toughness

Level 4 (Artificer)
Ability Raise: INT
Feat: (Artificer Bonus) Precise Shot

Level 5 (Artificer)

Level 6 (Artificer)
Feat: (Selected) Precision

Level 7 (Artificer)

Level 8 (Artificer)
Feat: (Artificer Bonus) Maximize Spell

Level 9 (Artificer)
Feat: (Selected) Spell Focus: Evocation

Level 10 (Artificer)

Level 11 (Artificer)

Level 12 (Artificer)
Feat: (Artificer Bonus) Improved Critical: Ranged Weapons
Feat: (Selected) Rapid Shot

Level 13 (Artificer)

Level 14 (Artificer)

Level 15 (Artificer)
Feat: (Selected) Improved Precise Shot

Level 16 (Artificer)
Feat: (Artificer Bonus) Quicken Spell

Level 17 (Artificer)

Level 18 (Artificer)
Feat: (Selected) Greater Spell Focus: Evocation

Level 19 (Artificer)

Level 20 (Artificer)
Feat: (Artificer Bonus) Mithral Body (or Empower Spell)
Enhancement: Artificer Damage Boost I
Enhancement: Artificer Damage Boost II
Enhancement: Artificer Crossbow Attack I
Enhancement: Artificer Crossbow Damage I
Enhancement: Artificer Crossbow Damage II
Enhancement: Artificer Improved Rune Arm Use I
Enhancement: Artificer Improved Rune Arm Use II
Enhancement: Artificer Improved Rune Arm Use III
Enhancement: Artificer Improved Rune Arm Use IV
Enhancement: Artificer Battle Engineer I
Enhancement: Artificer Rune Arm Overcharge I
Enhancement: Artificer Rune Arm Overcharge II
Enhancement: Arcane Empowerment
Enhancement: Racial Toughness I
Enhancement: Racial Toughness II
Enhancement: Kinetic Spellcasting I
Enhancement: Kinetic Spellcasting II
Enhancement: Kinetic Spellcasting III
Enhancement: Kinetic Spellcasting IV
Enhancement: Kinetic Spellcasting V
Enhancement: Deadly Kinetics I
Enhancement: Deadly Kinetics II
Enhancement: Deadly Kinetics III
Enhancement: Deadly Kinetics IV
Enhancement: Deadly Kinetics V
Enhancement: Force Manipulation I
Enhancement: Force Manipulation II
Enhancement: Force Manipulation III
Enhancement: Force Manipulation IV
Enhancement: Force Manipulation V
Enhancement: Force Manipulation VI
Enhancement: Force Manipulation VII
Enhancement: Repair Manipulation I
Enhancement: Repair Manipulation II
Enhancement: Repair Manipulation III
Enhancement: Repair Manipulation IV
Enhancement: Repair Manipulation V
Enhancement: Artificer Intelligence I
Enhancement: Artificer Intelligence II
Enhancement: Artificer Intelligence III
Enhancement: Artificer Wand and Scroll Mastery I
Enhancement: Artificer Wand and Scroll Mastery II
Enhancement: Artificer Wand and Scroll Mastery III
Enhancement: Artificer Wand and Scroll Mastery IV

The good news is only one tome is actually req'd on this build; the bad news is it's the +3 DEX one for Imp Prec Shot. :( On a 28-pt version, it becomes that much harder to hit DEX 19 w/out gimping your INT (which boosts both your ranged DPS and your caster DCs); I'm half-tempted to suggest skipping IPS so you can start w/DEX 14, with the plan to GR into 32-pt version, once you unlock it and acquire that +3 DEX tome.

droid327
07-30-2013, 03:13 AM
Not so much a build, because there's nothing unexpected about it - but just playing a pure arti "by the book" works perfectly well with a WF. Just a few notes to be aware of:

-Stats: Max your INT, you'll want 16 starting DEX, and the rest in CON, maybe two in STR to keep from being encumbered/helpless. Level-up points on INT.

-Skills: Search/Disable Device/Open Lock, UMD, Conc/Balance, Spot, Jump in that order

-Enhancements: Battle Engineer + prereqs, INT, all the Runearm ones, and spellpower/spell crit in Repair, Electric (early on) and Force (later on)

-Feats (forgive my brevity): Xbow: PBS, IC:R, Rapid Shot, Precise Shot/IPS (will require a +3 Dex tome by L18, which is doable). Runearm+spells: SF: Evo, GSF: Evo. Toughness, Insightful Reflexes. Metas: Maxi, Emp, Quicken. Make sure you plan which to use your Arti bonus feats on (metas and most xbow feats are valid)

-Gear: This is what hurts new Artis the most. If you don't have VIP and/or some quest packs, you aren't going to have access to many good runearms. Only a few are available on the AH, and they're pricey. Also, there aren't as many options for good repeaters as you level up. If you can, get a Strinati's (runearm) on the AH whenever you can afford it, and starting at L10, you can look for a repeater with Disruption (vs undead), Banishing (vs Outsiders and elementals), Smiting (vs constructs), and Paralyzing (vs everyone else). You might also want a Ghost Touch (vs incorporeals).

Remember you can convert handwraps to collars for your dog, that might be an easier way to equip your pet than waiting for a collar from quest rewards.

Its worth it, I think, to grind crafting as you level up too, so look into that.

-Quest Packs: Cannith Challenge pack is definitely worth it for Artis, I'd buy that first. Eveningstar Challenges have good repeaters starting at L16. GH, Vale, Sands are useful for everyone.

A slightly more nuanced build would be 18 Arti/2 Rogue, to get Evasion and 1d6 sneak attack - everything else is the same, except you lose one Arti bonus feat, so drop Empower.