PDA

View Full Version : How good is “Positive Energy Aura” really?

Jim_G
07-24-2013, 07:15 PM
I just started playing three months ago and I’m having a lot of fun trying different alts. I mainly solo, and recently have been trying different cleric/fighter/pally combinations. I’m trying to settle on a build to take into epic levels.

I think I want to run a battle cleric, but I’ve noticed that battle cleric is often interpreted to mean “not very good at healing.” But from the written descriptions (and some other posts) it seems like the Radiant Servant prestige enhancements with the “Positive Energy Aura” turn you into a little walking altar of healing goodness while still leaving room for fighter levels and melee feats. The healing energy aura is powered by Turn Undead and your turns regenerate. although not quite as quickly as they get used up. A level 12 cleric heals a team member by 4 hit points every 2 seconds, so you would be healing everybody at the rate of 120 HP per minute just by standing around, before you fire off a single spell. By level 18 this increases to 180 a minute.

It seems to me if you take Radiant Servant you should be a darn good healer and still have room for a fighter level or two. However, when I look at sample builds on DDO wiki I notice that only the “healbot” build takes this enhancement, not the generalist or battle cleric.

Is there something I am missing here as to why this enhancement isn’t on a “generalist” build? Perhaps the prerequisites are too steep, or the damage comes in so fast and heavy at 12+ that it isn’t as much healing as it seems?

Last night I rolled a dwarven fighter 1/cleric 6 (skipped to level 7) and was able to take the first level of Radiant Servant and still take several dwarven +axe enhancements that really add to melee damage. Honestly, the UI for getting all the prerequisites is so clunky it makes me wonder if people skip prestige enhancements just because it’s such a chore to plan for them.

Thanks!

Soulfurnace
07-24-2013, 08:02 PM
I... Were you paid by Turbine to insult the enhancements? D:
I just look at the pre-reqs, then get what I want, but... Hm

Anyway - most people plan for prestiges, because they're good, most of the time.

Okay - aura is not a heal. It's more of a passive top-up. I don't rely on it, because it's not great.

In fact, it's bad. It's a cure serious pot, give or take. Again, more of a top-up than a valid heal.
Also, you mentioned healing 120 a minute... By the time they get that 120, they'll be dead if they aren't doing it right.
Come level ~14, some mobs will hit for 30-50, and some like to hit you 3 times in a row.
Yeah, aura doesn't suffice for most. Gotta both heal and dps - hence why battle clerics have a bad name.
*Note. You're wrong about aura heals, as other factors increase the heal - Most clerics heal 20-25/tic at level 18, which is just to save a little on pots/scrolls. It's not enough to make a massive difference. :\

The main bit of advice I have is this - cut everything to pieces, drop blade barriers often (and wisely), and remember to heal.
If you aren't using normal heals to keep people alive, and relying on aura, you're just a weaker fighter.
Dominate the kill count AND HJEALZ everyone? You're doing it right. :)

Tummada
07-24-2013, 09:59 PM
I think I want to run a battle cleric, but I’ve noticed that battle cleric is often interpreted to mean “not very good at healing.”

Thanks!

Battle Clerics are over rated! Go pure and grab a hire fighter...done!

BOgre
07-24-2013, 10:33 PM
Okay - aura is not a heal. It's more of a passive top-up. I don't rely on it, because it's not great.

In fact, it's bad.

Pfft. Not.

With a properly geared/feated/meta'd/enhanced cleric, and providing even half-decent play/gear/heal-amp from the party, aura can be enough to keep the party at full health throughout 90% of the fights in 90% of quests, not counting Epic Elite where it's more like 50%...

Aura has the benefit of not over-healing, not costing SP, and running off a regenerating stack of Turn Undeads. That being said, you still MUST be prepared to spot heal. And THAT being said, you must be prepared to STOP healing when you encounter particularly resource heavy (read: NOOB) party members.

Anyhow, all that is stuff you'll learn from experience, but in a nutshell: DO invest in Aura and the gear, feats, metas, and enh's to support it. I use SP to heal so rarely, that I sometimes forget where I've hotbarred my hjealz.

On the other hand, I've been unable to duplicate my Cleric in the new enhancement system, and I've not seen the closed beta so no idea what's upcoming, so...... no idea if "good" healing aura will be possible once the enh pass comes to Live....

Propane
07-24-2013, 10:40 PM
Take a look at a clunk ~ 17 cleric and 3 monk - WIS based - stunning fist build.
You can get some good healing amp (Human for amp - Dwarf for tactical bonus) and go to town

With some gear - you can get 50+ a healing TIC before crits-

Lots of fun IMO - can raid heal and solo

cru121
07-24-2013, 11:01 PM
the builds on the wiki are often obsolete. look around the class forums instead for newer information.

(almost) all clerics take radiant servant enhancements

positive energy aura is affected by your devotion spell power.
100 base + 60 enh + 60 item + 100 empower healing = 320
I.e, your base of 4 at level 12 is multiplied by 3.2, your aura will heal around 12 per tic.

Also note that at cleric 12, you're already CL 14 for positive energy effects (radiant servant benefit), this means that your aura gains additional +1 base at cleric level 13 (cl15), cleric lvel 16, 19

aura and burst make for the bulk of cleric healing in most content. it's great.

sandypaws
07-26-2013, 05:38 PM
Aura is great. Slap on some healing amp and it's like a free full heal for you every 7-8 seconds.

Put another way: When you're running around taking care of teammates, wouldn't you love it if you can pretty much just ignore your own survival?
I'd also like to point out that auras stack with each other. Three clerics can very reasonably hit ~210ish hp/second from aura alone, if the party has solid healing amp.

mobrien316
07-26-2013, 06:38 PM
I have a battle cleric and once he gets to level 12 and gets his healing aura (I TR him a lot) it's like getting free automatic heals from that point on.

With his Devotion items and other positive energy bonuses, it's like everyone in the party drinking one to eight CSW pots every few seconds any time the aura is going. What's not to like?

Rubbinns
07-26-2013, 07:20 PM
The benefit of having Aura on the Cleric is substantial. Out weighing the cost of enhancement points spent, by far. Look at it in various ways, a high potency regen, and essentially hundreds of extra HP.

giftie
07-27-2013, 02:20 AM
Aura is amazing. I run a Horc 17 CLR/2 MNK/1 RGR battle cleric, with maxed positive healing line (which all clerics should take, regardless of playstyle) and a swap in +108 devotion, +12% crit chance item (the devotion item only needs to be equipped when casting the aura).

My aura has a base heal of 26 (I think) per tick at level 20, adjusted for healing amp about 30-40, and crits over 90 is not uncommon. 1000+ heal/minute is a very conservative estimate.

Since I don't use Divine Might, my 6 turns/rest (yes, I dumped CHA) has so far never ran out, and I usually have some DVs to spare.

Wipey
07-27-2013, 03:16 AM
Human with decent amp gets 80 - 100 from one TICK, I've noticed 240 crits on my fighter standing/fighting near SOME clerics/clonks.

Smart play ( and NOT : please everybody, pick your own mob to beat and don't you dare to fight together, your kill count is so much important , e.g. Mistresses in Citw, y u no hjeal me stoopid cleric when I am here alone ), and you can hjeal most stuff with almost no SP spent, renewal, aura , bursts.

SirValentine
07-27-2013, 08:01 AM
It seems to me if you take Radiant Servant you should be a darn good healer and still have room for a fighter level or two. However, when I look at sample builds on DDO wiki I notice that only the “healbot” build takes this enhancement, not the generalist or battle cleric.

Is there something I am missing here as to why this enhancement isn’t on a “generalist” build? Perhaps the prerequisites are too steep, or the damage comes in so fast and heavy at 12+ that it isn’t as much healing as it seems?

As others said: 1. The aura is awesome, and 2. Both DDO's pre-built paths and the Wiki builds are woefully outdated and sub-par.

I know of no good reason for anyone with 12+ Cleric levels not to have Positive Energy Aura under the current enhancement system. It's the only PrE available to Clerics, and is worth the cost.

Note all this changes in a month when the new enhancement system comes in. Then, the requirement costs get jacked way up, and it locks out other powerful options, so some builds may well pass on it.

Iaga
07-27-2013, 08:40 AM
..., but I’ve noticed that battle cleric is often interpreted to mean “not very good at healing.” ...They can heal quite well. The comments you see about not being able to heal are refer to the inability of many players to muti-task effectively, which is the most important part of playing a battle cleric.

A lot of players who are DPSing focus on which mobs to hit [casters first, then melee, etc], where are those mobs [front row, hiding in the back, etc], watching their hot bars to see when their tactical feats are off cool down, etc ... they don't notice the raging barbarian who has stepped away from the main group for some reason, or the arcane who has been tripped or held and is being ganked and thus don't heal them.

That's when players scream battle clerics suck.

I've got some guildies who play a variety of 18/x battle clerics, and they play them well. It's a solid build - but you better be good at multi-tasking if you want to avoid playing one and catching a lot of hate ...

oseanessy
08-31-2015, 03:11 PM
can someone tell me how often positive energy aura ticks? every 2 secs, 3 sec's, 4? -don't seem to be able to find that info anywhere. thanks in advance.

oseanessy
08-31-2015, 03:42 PM
looks like a click every 3 sec's from test to me.

can someone tell me how often positive energy aura ticks? every 2 secs, 3 sec's, 4? -don't seem to be able to find that info anywhere. thanks in advance.

PNellesen
08-31-2015, 04:18 PM
Gah - didn't notice the necro... :p

Nevermind.

Tlorrd
09-02-2015, 08:25 PM
When I ran my cleric ... my aura at level 28 would crit for 550+hp per tick and since radiant moment was bugged, it stayed at 80% chance to crit forever. Thus I ran around with my aura ticking for nearly 1/3 to 1/2 my hps.

Enderoc
09-02-2015, 10:45 PM
I had healing aura on a clonk maximizing heal and took empower heal and maximize and was pretty much invincible for the most part.

Whitering
09-06-2015, 08:04 AM
I play a pretty warped 16 Cleric, 2 Monk, 2 Rogue, and my gear is super meh, but even I get 45-55 per tick and 120 or so if it crits. In fact, in on level normal content its the only healing I need for me. I have respawning turning or whatever, I can do entire quests with no shrining blowing all my sp on the bosses. I like it quite a bit, but then, I am obviously not a min maxer.

axel15810
09-07-2015, 10:33 AM
It's still really good. I'm on a 15c/4p/1f and my aura ticks for 110 or so, double that on a crit. And I actually fit in healing lore with the new Epic Shavarath helmet so I get them quite often. Aura is still wonderful, you want to exploit it by building for as much healing amp as possible. Makes your character so much more survivable. In most EE quest situations my aura beats trash DPS, so I really can't be killed unless I have ton of monsters beating on me at once...or I get hit with spike damage...or I'm not paying attention. And that's just me. Other party members still get nice benefits from it, let's them DPS more and self-heal less. In heroics aura is even better because many people don't have great self-healing until they get their destinies at level 20.

kmoustakas
10-21-2015, 02:53 AM
For me the aura is still the main reason to run a cleric, both for the ticks and the side effects to empyrial magic and spirit generation.

Now if only we had enough AP to have both ameliorating strike, aura AND sunburst from divine disciple...

eachna_gislin
11-07-2015, 12:47 PM
I just started playing three months ago and I’m having a lot of fun trying different alts. I mainly solo, and recently have been trying different cleric/fighter/pally combinations. I’m trying to settle on a build to take into epic levels.

I think I want to run a battle cleric, but I’ve noticed that battle cleric is often interpreted to mean “not very good at healing.” But from the written descriptions (and some other posts) it seems like the Radiant Servant prestige enhancements with the “Positive Energy Aura” turn you into a little walking altar of healing goodness while still leaving room for fighter levels and melee feats. The healing energy aura is powered by Turn Undead and your turns regenerate. although not quite as quickly as they get used up. A level 12 cleric heals a team member by 4 hit points every 2 seconds, so you would be healing everybody at the rate of 120 HP per minute just by standing around, before you fire off a single spell. By level 18 this increases to 180 a minute.

Thanks!

Why every cleric doesn't have it: the aura is quite nice and has it's place on many builds, but it also takes the T5 spot and you can only have T5's from one tree. Many martial cleric players don't want to give up a better T5.

Why the ones who have it do have it: It's passive and it costs no spell points. Healing amp (including passive boosts like Paladin Past lives) and Devotion/Positive Spell Power (including Divine Epic Past lives) increase its healing potential at no extra "cost".

You could search the forums for Axel's Battle Cleric. Axel's build used to use the aura, I'm not sure if it still does.

You do need to be careful when playing a splashed battle cleric as each non-cleric level you take weakens the aura. A pure cleric (or 1 fighter splash) battle cleric is still pretty weak only because Warpriest sucks as a tree and the good aura may not be worth the weak combat. You'll want to find the sweet spot of enough melee levels to get enhancements in a good combat tree (something like fighter or paladin is nice) but not so many that your aura begins to suck.

axel15810
11-10-2015, 10:09 AM
Why every cleric doesn't have it: the aura is quite nice and has it's place on many builds, but it also takes the T5 spot and you can only have T5's from one tree. Many martial cleric players don't want to give up a better T5.

Why the ones who have it do have it: It's passive and it costs no spell points. Healing amp (including passive boosts like Paladin Past lives) and Devotion/Positive Spell Power (including Divine Epic Past lives) increase its healing potential at no extra "cost".

You could search the forums for Axel's Battle Cleric. Axel's build used to use the aura, I'm not sure if it still does.

You do need to be careful when playing a splashed battle cleric as each non-cleric level you take weakens the aura. A pure cleric (or 1 fighter splash) battle cleric is still pretty weak only because Warpriest sucks as a tree and the good aura may not be worth the weak combat. You'll want to find the sweet spot of enough melee levels to get enhancements in a good combat tree (something like fighter or paladin is nice) but not so many that your aura begins to suck.

Yes, my build still uses aura.

Yes, every cleric level you lose does hurt the aura but it's only 1 hit point per 3 Cleric levels, so positive spellpower and healing amp can more than make up for it.