PDA

View Full Version : Pay 10 astral shards to skip this thread

Qaliya
07-23-2013, 07:27 AM
Seriously, guys, where does it end?

I have a management degree and have been in the business world for over two decades. I understand that companies have to make money, and that DDO runs on a transaction model. I don't generally have a problem with the loads of stuff in the DDO store: the cosmetics are fine, with the ones that let people speed up play (XP pots) I can deal with, and I can even forgive things like SP pots that clearly break an important game mechanism.

But ever since astral shards, you have gone completely overboard.

Microtransactions should be used to enhance the game, provide new options and allow people to get extras that make the game a bit easier or more fun. They should not be used to circumvent the basics of gameplay. I never took issue with seeing astral shards here and there but this business of bribing NPCs in quests is simply a step too far.

What's next? Pay 100 AS to skip a level? Pay 200 AS for a special weapon that instakills a quest boss? Raid gear at a trader for astral shards?

Some of us actually like to immerse ourselves in quests. We do not want to see the company we already pay money to every month essentially begging us for more money or enticing us to spend money to cheat.

I can tell you what you are accomplishing in my case: annoying me to such an extent that I am boycotting the use of astral shards for pretty much everything except trading to other players. The more you to try to ram this stuff down my throat, the less inclined I am to spend money on this game.

You're killing the proverbial goose that laid the golden egg.

PS I don't want to see my astral shard total on the screen at any point except when it is directly necessary. If you think that ham-fisted move is going to magically cause people to spend the damned things more often, you understand little about human nature.

Cetus
07-23-2013, 10:51 PM
Agree on all points.

Noctus
07-24-2013, 04:16 AM
PS I don't want to see my astral shard total on the screen at any point except when it is directly necessary. If you think that ham-fisted move is going to magically cause people to spend the damned things more often, you understand little about human nature.

/signed.

-Zephyr-
07-24-2013, 10:57 AM
It felt to me like the AS count on the screen permanently is exactly to allow giving us options to spend them everywhere (skip quests in Sagas, save prisoners) without having players complain that they didn't have their totals on screen when spending them. Because let's face it, not knowing your total (and how fast it's dropping) can make you not realize how much you've spent till you're completly out. Just look at the daily dice horror stories.

UurlockYgmeov
07-24-2013, 11:46 AM
*shudder* *feeling of someone walking over my grave* *the sound of davey jones calling my name*

what might be next is in game ads..... pop ups etc.... based upon tracking data....

I hope this is only in jest - but if cupidity rules the day...

What I want (What we all should want) is for Turbine to generate enough to cover costs and keep their employee's happy; their employee's keep us happy. I want Turbine to generate enough revenue to continue to update, improve, expand this game we all love so much.

What I don't want (what we all shouldn't want) is to generate so much excessive cash-flow that the executives get fat and the games becomes profit-centric ie maplestory etc.

Solid performance - not a cash cow. Where the vast majority of profit goes back into the game to continue it not into a mother company that will just bonus its executives with golden parachutes and use the money to create other games we all don't like (hint - NWO)

IronClan
07-24-2013, 01:32 PM
This is thread is full of somewhat humorous if it wasn't so amazingly prevalent naivety. "just enough to keep employees happy" LMAO...

Seriously the OP claims to understand business and then goes on to suggest that his 9.99 a month is a Golden goose!

At a labor hour of $30 less than half what most industries charge for a labor hour, and less than half of a man hours COST to the company in the game development industry where salaries AVERAGE $80,000 a year (Note the difference between salary and Labor cost, if you don't understand the difference please don't try to argue) and assuming a modest 40 hour work week per employee (industry average is over 50) your monthly golden goose pays for exactly ONE THIRD OF ONE MANHOUR (Salary not actual Labor cost) . Over 160 man hours (again realistic number is more like 200) worked in a month your golden goose contributes a number that has a decimal and I'd guess a couple zeros in front of it .

Kaytis
07-24-2013, 09:15 PM
This is thread is full of somewhat humorous if it wasn't so amazingly prevalent naivety. "just enough to keep employees happy" LMAO...

Seriously the OP claims to understand business and then goes on to suggest that his 9.99 a month is a Golden goose!

At a labor hour of $30 less than half what most industries charge for a labor hour, and less than half of a man hours COST to the company in the game development industry where salaries AVERAGE $80,000 a year (Note the difference between salary and Labor cost, if you don't understand the difference please don't try to argue) and assuming a modest 40 hour work week per employee (industry average is over 50) your monthly golden goose pays for exactly ONE THIRD OF ONE MANHOUR (Salary not actual Labor cost) . Over 160 man hours (again realistic number is more like 200) worked in a month your golden goose contributes a number that has a decimal and I'd guess a couple zeros in front of it .

If you are so smart how come you think there is only one person paying a subscription?

Firewall
07-24-2013, 10:06 PM
/signed

Deadlock
07-25-2013, 04:45 AM
If you are so smart how come you think there is only one person paying a subscription?

That's not what his post says.

caissede12
07-25-2013, 08:09 AM
That's not what his post says.

Agreed, his point was that subscription are not that much money for turbine (which is the reason why most games companies are going more whit F2P game whit a cash shop etc) while micro transaction can bring a lot of money to the company.

Personally, its the same as the bells and such items in Store. You can do without, but if you cant, well you can pay XYZ amount. Its the perfect balance between P2W and F2P. There are quite a few skill/stat that can be used to success the rolls, not like the only way was AS (The fact that the roll needed on those skill/stat are high are a whole other story). As I see it, AS were pretty useless, now they offer you a few way to spend them. What they allow you to do whit it could and can still be done without, so I dont see the problem.

What's next? Pay 100 AS to skip a level? Pay 200 AS for a special weapon that instakills a quest boss? Raid gear at a trader for astral shards?

If you go this road, we can got a looooonnng way. Speculation are speculation, you pretty much ruined your whole post (arguments) whit that xD

as for the AS showed in the corner, I 100% agree whit -Zephyr-, it allow you to see how fast you spend it. If it wasnt there, it would be a good way for Turbine to make you spend more and faster (For someone in business, Im kinda sad you didn't tough of it). For the begging part... the AS line is supposed to be at the end of the option (so not WAI for the moment), so I dont feel its begging, otherwise pretty much all the content (such has the "ViP promotional download screen") would be begging.

Qaliya
07-25-2013, 08:41 AM

No, he did not. The OP didn't even mention being a VIP.

The golden goose being killed here is the goodwill that prompts players to use microtransactions. If Turbine was subtle and reasonable about it, players would understand that it's a way for them to make money that doesn't impact the basic game too much. Instead, they are acting like the proverbial bull in the china shop, and it's a major turn-off.

And for those who think I was exaggerating with my examples, all I can say is: we'll see. If I had suggested two years ago that Turbine would let people spend TP to bypass quest objectives or reroll a chest, I would have been laughed off the forums. And yet, here they are.

Bridge_Dweller
07-25-2013, 03:38 PM
The golden goose being killed here is the goodwill that prompts players to use microtransactions.

I'm not sure if my experiences apply to other people or not . . . but I used to be a big spender in DDO. In addition to a VIP sub I would buy $50 pack every time they went on sale. I'd buy tomes, armor kits, lots of junk like that because I wanted to. It was never a lot of money since this is the cheapest hobby I've ever had.

But I haven't bought DDO point since MoTU. Turbine changed since then and at this time I want to give them as little of my money as possible. I get the cheapest sub and don't buy anything from the store.

It's cheap garbage like the Astral Shards that have turned me off.

I cannot say this is everyone, but what the OP is talking about sure as heck affected me. I went from spending a ton on points to nothing because of P2Win.