PDA

View Full Version : Protection spells giving some PRR

bbcjoke
07-20-2013, 11:12 PM
Since the MotU update in which the entire AC system changed, some spells whose only purpose is to give AC bonuses have become borderline useless (and I say borderline just to be respectful here). Those are, namely: Mage Armor, Shield of Faith and Barkskin. There are two reasons why they are bad spells right now: AC is useless and their bonuses can be found elsewhere (*cough* augments *cough*), and usually with better values.

So, in order to make them useful again, I suggest the developers give them a little upgrade by making them grant a small amount of PRR. My initial suggestion is: have both Shield of Faith and Barkskin give the same amount of PRR as they would give AC bonuses. Maybe make those bonuses named (Deflection/Natural Armor bonus to PRR, how does this sound?) so they won't stack with some other sources, who knows?

As for the Mage Armor, I suggest making them give the target the same PRR as if he or she were wearing a light armor (1/2 BAB +2). These changes would be a nice survivability boost for wizards and sorcerers (even though they have a horrible BAB), but even more to monks who could get their hands on a clickie, and who knows, maybe even allow them to be tanks again. And of course, monsters like Mind Flayers would get a bit more frightful with that extra protection, so this could be a double-sided edge.

What do you guys think?

PrimalConcreteSledge
07-21-2013, 09:20 AM
Since the MotU update in which the entire AC system changed, some spells whose only purpose is to give AC bonuses have become borderline useless (and I say borderline just to be respectful here). Those are, namely: Mage Armor, Shield of Faith and Barkskin. There are two reasons why they are bad spells right now: AC is useless and their bonuses can be found elsewhere (*cough* augments *cough*), and usually with better values.

So, in order to make them useful again, I suggest the developers give them a little upgrade by making them grant a small amount of PRR. My initial suggestion is: have both Shield of Faith and Barkskin give the same amount of PRR as they would give AC bonuses. Maybe make those bonuses named (Deflection/Natural Armor bonus to PRR, how does this sound?) so they won't stack with some other sources, who knows?

As for the Mage Armor, I suggest making them give the target the same PRR as if he or she were wearing a light armor (1/2 BAB +2). These changes would be a nice survivability boost for wizards and sorcerers (even though they have a horrible BAB), but even more to monks who could get their hands on a clickie, and who knows, maybe even allow them to be tanks again. And of course, monsters like Mind Flayers would get a bit more frightful with that extra protection, so this could be a double-sided edge.

What do you guys think?

AC change or not, from these 3 spells, only barkskin was ever usefull. And considering from these classes only ranger atm does need a boost, i'm in for that. However, prolly best to wait for the enhancement pass and see who will still needs a boost, if any.

Also with the new AC formula, now any AC does matter (even if only slightly). So if anything, these spells actually got a buff with the new sistem.

anivaj
07-22-2013, 06:42 AM
AC change or not, from these 3 spells, only barkskin was ever usefull. And considering from these classes only ranger atm does need a boost, i'm in for that. However, prolly best to wait for the enhancement pass and see who will still needs a boost, if any.

Also with the new AC formula, now any AC does matter (even if only slightly). So if anything, these spells actually got a buff with the new sistem.

Shield of faith and barkskin were amazing spells before the AC change, if you built for AC. +5 deflection AC and +5 nat armor in a spell saved an inventory slot, which was huge. Also, back then +10 to AC could have meant going from being hit 50/50 to not at all. Now +10 AC is lucky if it takes you from 50/50 to 40/60.

Before the AC change, even my wizards/sorcs only got hit 5% of the time all the way up until Vale.