PDA

View Full Version : Producer Rowan, are we stuck with this loot?

esheep
07-20-2013, 09:20 PM
Simply put, no one is excited about the loot we've seen -- granted we likely haven't seen all of it, but what we have seen is largely less desirable than old school epic items.

With the expansion coming out in (now) less than a month should we expect any changes or should we just give up?

It would be nice to get some conversation going about the loot as nearly all forum feedback from players suggests disappointment, yet there has been no comment on Turbine's side about said feedback.

esheep
07-23-2013, 05:30 PM
Granted I didn't expect a response, but the lack of counter-feedback on loot as well as any of the rest of the closed beta program is sad.

Guess no one should be surprised that my subscription was just cancelled.

whereispowderedsilve
07-23-2013, 05:39 PM
Bump -- Could we please get some interaction/thoughts on loot. What the devs intentions are. What they want it to accomplish. Etc. Etc. Asking nicely/sincerely/politely. Thanks in advance!

Cheers! :P! :)!

Hendrik
07-23-2013, 07:44 PM
Granted I didn't expect a response, but the lack of counter-feedback on loot as well as any of the rest of the closed beta program is sad.

Guess no one should be surprised that my subscription was just cancelled.

Cancelling won't make them reply and less then a month is not enough time to re-do all the loot, least I doubt it is.

Something about toys and going home.

Bye.

lyrecono
07-24-2013, 02:18 AM
i wouldn't mind a response either,
i'm very currious about the future of the game, named loot should be unique and fit the lore.

The new named loot feels very lazy (though i won't deny the effort put in it so far) because its a system that randomly generates stuf, we already have such a system, its called random loot generation.

It was stated that this was done to create more customisation in gear set ups, ddo has tried this in the past, here are two examples, both create interesting gear but the manner of aquiring is somewhat different:

The lottery system of the dragon touched armor borred people due to the grind, this was changed a little whille back but the orriginal system was horrible and people abbanded it. way better gear has come out since then.

The shroud on the other hand allowed people to craft good gear with effect not easely found loot generated or other named gear. I see 3 shroud runs up each day, even this many years after its release. i can only assume people still find reasons to run it.

so costumisation yes, random named loot NO!

So honnestly, are we continuing this way?

patang01
07-24-2013, 09:05 AM
Cancelling won't make them reply and less then a month is not enough time to re-do all the loot, least I doubt it is.

Something about toys and going home.

Bye.

I agree, it's to far gone for a major overhaul of what they envision. It's sad tho - it should be clear just what people feel about random effects and if they do have some amazing upgrade system in store I think it would work in their favor to share it before people get too upset about it.

patang01
07-24-2013, 09:13 AM
i wouldn't mind a response either,
i'm very currious about the future of the game, named loot should be unique and fit the lore.

The new named loot feels very lazy (though i won't deny the effort put in it so far) because its a system that randomly generates stuf, we already have such a system, its called random loot generation.

It was stated that this was done to create more customisation in gear set ups, ddo has tried this in the past, here are two examples, both create interesting gear but the manner of aquiring is somewhat different:

The lottery system of the dragon touched armor borred people due to the grind, this was changed a little whille back but the orriginal system was horrible and people abbanded it. way better gear has come out since then.

The shroud on the other hand allowed people to craft good gear with effect not easely found loot generated or other named gear. I see 3 shroud runs up each day, even this many years after its release. i can only assume people still find reasons to run it.

so costumisation yes, random named loot NO!

So honnestly, are we continuing this way?

Gianthold loot shows the best way to customize. Some items with a narrow set of random stats. Worked in MOTU too. There's always someone willing to buy the version you don't want. Then augment slots for true customization. Best of both words. Meanwhile the rest of the features on the item remains largely the same. And if you want even better loot (which usually add minor improvements) you run it at a higher difficulty setting.

Here they add bad loot (morningstar?) worse stat then some random pulled loot, random features AND 3 different difficulty levels. That's just way too much random. On lackluster items too. Lets say you want the best of the best. You run it on EE - it's a grind. Then on top of that you pull something with say axiomatic. Now you've spent your time running something on EE for a reward you and no one else wants.

Loot is important; it drives people to grind the same quest over and over. If it doesn't have good or interesting loot people will run it a few times for XP and be done with it.

This is an expansion that even VIPs has to pay for. If they burn people on this they will have a really hard time selling people on a pre-purchase for next expansion. I certainly won't bite.

Grosbeak07
07-24-2013, 09:21 AM
This is how I see it.

Its the devs fault. They gave us way too good of weapons back when the Shroud came out (and heck we can even go back to the original gianthold launch too). But basically at the pace we were on, weapons (and other items) needed more and more attributes to be deemed "worthy" by the players. We would eventually reach a point where in order for a named item (weapon in particular) to be useful would need every single attribute in the game on it. Essentially OP.

Named loot is now more like Drow weapons, only slightly better than regular loot, but still better.

The game had reached a point where gear was all named items and nothing else. A quest could have 27 chests in it, but if it doesn't drop named loot its almost all instantly vendor trashed (if the quest is run at all). Under this new system, you now have a chance of pulling something useful out of any chest, as opposed to just a few chests in the game. This is a major plus for causal players, but is taking a source of fun for more serious players (like myself), who enjoy hunting for rare loot.

Like the enhancement system, I'm not sure we can accurately judge the effects of this new loot system until a couple of months after launch, when we see how drop rates are, and what kind of combinations we can get. Plus we might actually see useful items on the Auction Houses instead of just the named loot searches we are all doing now.

Of course I also hope that the decrease in player power (gear wise) will also lead to a decrease in mob HP. Probably not, but I can hope.

LightBear
07-24-2013, 01:05 PM
I'm probably am going to make a harsh remark here in this comment and there so let me start of by saying that I love this game.

I must admit that at some point in time I have wished for more randomness on items as it would give me more options on gearing up my char(s).

The latest notes on the named items gives me the feeling that we've been given to much randomness on named items.
I can't believe that the defs would hand out something like a limited in use 1d6 damage on a named level 28 item... seriously {insert something nasty here} where they thinking when they came up with this.
The randomness would not be so bad if all the random generated "fixes" on it was anything with a base price modifier of at least +6 and most possibly higher.
Wouldn't it be great to see both mangling and devastation on these new named items?

I agree with most people here that it feels that we are missing something as far as the loot goes for this expansion.
However, I've seen some clues left here on the boards that the loot from this pack is "craftable" in some sort of way.
Personally I hope we can make them into named augments of some sort but I have no pointers towards this.