PDA

View Full Version : Leaving a Path.

Olvig
07-19-2013, 05:40 PM
Hi, all. Sorry if this has been asked before, but I could not find any threads that might have covered it. I've been playing for a few weeks now, and I have a level 4/1 ranger/rogue. Unfortunately, when I first started the character, I chose to go down a preset path. When I hit level 2, I chose to stay on that path. When I multi-classed to rogue, I was under the impression that it would take me off the ranger path that I selected, but that does not seem to be the case. Having leveled a few more times in ranger, the game is still assigning my feats, and I do not seem to be given a choice by the ranger trainer. Is there any way that I can leave this path and start choosing my own feats at this point, or do I need to start a new character. Any help would be appreciated.

Frotz
07-19-2013, 05:53 PM
Every character gets a feat every three levels: at 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18. Some classes get bonus feats that you can choose from a list, and some classes get specific feats automatically at certain levels. Rangers get a lot of the latter (http://ddowiki.com/page/Ranger), and you won't get a choice of feats until 6th level. You're not stuck on a path; you're just getting the automatic Ranger feats.

Olvig
07-19-2013, 06:04 PM
Thanks very much for the reply. That cleared a lot of questions up for me. Also, thank you for the link. I'm sure it will be very useful.

Philibusta
07-19-2013, 07:35 PM
Another thing about multiclassing:

If you're wanting to multiclass, and make Rogue a splash class (there are, or at least used to be, a lot of Rangers out there with 1 or 2 Rogue levels), it's a good idea to take at least one Rogue level as your FIRST level. In other words, plan out your stats (STR, CON) etc when you roll up your character as if you're rolling a pure Ranger (you'd have to choose the "Customize" option for this; Paths pre-set your stats), but make the character a Rogue. After you go through level one, THEN switch to Ranger, or take two Rogue levels, putting as many Skill Points into Disable, Search, and Open Locks as you can, then go Ranger the rest of your levels.

The reason for this is you get a LOT more Skill Points to distribute at level one than you do at subsequent levels. And Rogues get more Skill Points than any other class. Which means more points to put into Disable, Search, and Open Locks. Also, those are Rogue Class Skills, which means you'd only pay one Skill point for each Rank in them, instead of the two you have to pay to raise those skills by one rank when you level up as a Ranger.