PDA

View Full Version : The Official Lines of Supply (Storm Horns) Loot Thread!

SqueakofDoom
07-19-2013, 10:34 AM
Use this thread to discuss items found in the Storm Horns Quest: Lines of Supply (Previously known as "The Giant's Run").

End and Optional Chests' Named Items:

https://www.ddo.com/sites/default/files/MastersRiposte.jpg

Master's Riposte (Longsword - It's just currently pretending to be a Rapier...)
Heroic Normal

+1 Enhancement Bonus
Parrying VI
Random Effect
Empty Red Augment Slot

Heroic Hard

+1 Enhancement Bonus
Parrying VII
Random Effect
Empty Red Augment Slot

Heroic Elite

+1 Enhancement Bonus
Parrying VIII
Random Effect
Empty Red Augment Slot

Epic Normal

+1 Enhancement Bonus
Parrying X
Random Effect
Empty Red Augment Slot

Epic Hard

+1 Enhancement Bonus
Parrying XI
Random Effect
Empty Red Augment Slot

Epic Elite

+1 Enhancement Bonus
Parrying XII
Random Effect
Empty Red Augment Slot

https://www.ddo.com/sites/default/files/PrismaticCloak.png

Prismatic Cloak (Cloak)
Heroic Normal

Elemental Absorption – 16% (Acid, Cold, Electric, Fire, Sonic Absorption)
Random Effect
Empty Green Augment Slot

Heroic Hard

Elemental Absorption – 18% (Acid, Cold, Electric, Fire, Sonic Absorption)
Random Effect
Empty Green Augment Slot

Heroic Elite

Elemental Absorption – 20% (Acid, Cold, Electric, Fire, Sonic Absorption)
Random Effect
Empty Green Augment Slot

Epic Normal

Elemental Absorption – 26% (Acid, Cold, Electric, Fire, Sonic Absorption)
Random Effect
Empty Green Augment Slot

Epic Hard

Elemental Absorption – 28% (Acid, Cold, Electric, Fire, Sonic Absorption)
Random Effect
Empty Green Augment Slot

Epic Elite

Elemental Absorption – 30% (Acid, Cold, Electric, Fire, Sonic Absorption)
Random Effect
Empty Green Augment Slot

UurlockYgmeov
07-19-2013, 11:25 AM
Thanks Squeak!

One observation - the Heroic Hard (Vorpal) and Epic Normal (Greater Banishing) appear to be the best of the rapiers..... the other iterations loose the vorpal and g.banishing....

I see the theme - but the different level versions seem to be, well.... unless there are several versions of each level version....

Greantun
07-19-2013, 11:32 AM
It looks like the follow the pattern of the named items in wheeloon:
* Enhancement Bonus
* Parrying
* Random Effect
* Red Augment

So that means Vorpal could be on any of them, but it is random.

Dandonk
07-19-2013, 11:34 AM
More random effects, it seems? Please, no.

ArcaneArcher52689
07-19-2013, 11:40 AM
More random effects, it seems? Please, no.

I won't mind the random effects as long as there aren't any worthless effects. I'd also suggest removing anarchic, axiomatic and true law/pure good type effects. It's one thing if you get banishing and wanted vorpal. It's another if you now suffer a negative level to use the item (leave holy in though, because no one suffers a negative level from holy).

TPICKRELL
07-19-2013, 11:56 AM
Really???

Dandonk
07-19-2013, 11:59 AM
Really???

Not only that, but rapiers with 19-20/x2 crit ranges...

oradafu
07-19-2013, 01:08 PM
Did the loot designer get replaced with a monkey throwing darts at a board?

Named weapon loot should have equal or (to be truthful) better crit range and damage, not worse. Critical threat range for the average rapier is 18-20/x2, yet this one has 19-20/x2. If you are decreasing the crit range, the crit multipler should be increased.

On top of the poor basic weapon stats design of the named item, it only has a +1 enhancement. A +1 Enhancement isn't going to cut it for a weapon that is worse than all randomly generated rapiers. A Red Slot does not make up for creating worse than randomly generated loot, especially since the "Enhancement Bonus upgrade" crystals were purposely removed from the game.

Again, I repeat, if the loot designer isn't a monkey with a dart board, fire the loot designer and hire the money with a dart board. The monkey can't do a worse job and it will probably be more fun at office parties.

UurlockYgmeov
07-19-2013, 01:09 PM
Thanks Squeak for the update!

Random isn't so bad - as long as there are things like vorp and banish and disrup and smiting included :D

TPICKRELL
07-19-2013, 01:13 PM
Thanks Squeak for the update!

Random isn't so bad - as long as there are things like vorp and banish and disrup and smiting included :DIMO, a random effect slot added onto an otherwise solid item could be an ok starting point for a named item. A random effect on a named item that is complete **** without a very good result in the random effect slot is a very bad starting point for a named item.

ArcaneArcher52689
07-19-2013, 01:18 PM
i think this might be a bug issue. The rapier is a 1.5[1d8] slashing 19-20/x2... Anyone else think that looks suspiciously like a longsword?

just saying.

HatsuharuZ
07-19-2013, 01:45 PM
I'm wondering why it only has a +1 enhancement bonus.... the rapier, that is.

dlsidhe
07-19-2013, 01:58 PM
Hm.

Trying to figure this out.

+1 enhancement goes with the flavor text - it's a weapon for a master swordsperson (the person behind the sword) where additional enhancement bonuses are minor compared to the base bonuses the toon gets from wielding the weapon. Still, it's an epic item so it should give some kind of improved bonus - maybe along the lines of being +7 when used by a toon with the proper kensei specialization, or when wielded by a drow or elf with the tier 5 rapier bonuses?

Damage/Crit profile of a longsword; also, the thumbnail graphic is of a longsword. So...a longsword typed as a rapier so it's finesseable? Does it use IC:Piercing or IC:Slashing? What is this?

Random effects I'm actually fine with; I like flexibility in slotting, though on weapons it's less important.

Overall, the parrying bonus is nice, and I love anything that's done for flavor, but I'm not sure I get the point of the weapon overall.

SqueakofDoom
07-19-2013, 02:04 PM
i think this might be a bug issue. The rapier is a 1.5[1d8] slashing 19-20/x2... Anyone else think that looks suspiciously like a longsword?

just saying.

Why look at that! You are right. The Rapier is actually a Longsword. I've updated the OP, and bugged the name! Thank you!

Cetus
07-19-2013, 03:00 PM
LOL!

A +1 weapon at ML28?

Yikes, just when I thought it couldn't get any worse

soloist12
07-19-2013, 03:32 PM
Some of the worst stuff I've seen. Level 23-25 loot is currently better than 26-28.

No wonder they had us pre-pay before seeing anything.

maddmatt70
07-19-2013, 05:01 PM
The rapier looks a little bugged. Not sure if the intent is a slashing rapier with parry 6 on it which would be useful on a light tank type build. Actually the first non spellcaster thing that I have truly been interested for one of my characters - my light tank in this case.

Cernunan
07-19-2013, 05:11 PM
As someone who uses longswords exclusively on mostly every build, these are pretty much awful in just about every way.

They neither compliment nor replace any existing gear. The Oathblades at level 20 are far superior than the epic versions.
The heroic versions are far below greensteel anything, although to be fair greensteel is raid gear, if albeit dated raid gear.

The one bright spot is the chance of getting banishing/greater banishing on slashing weapons. The greator vorpal mutations on the epic version shows a little promise as well, just not much.

TazMan098
07-19-2013, 05:44 PM
Thanks for posting the loot Squeak! But some opinions..... The EE version is pathetic atm and random weapons at level 21 are better. I would like to see it be like 3.5[1d8], Axiomatic 8 (8-32 law), keen 4 (1.5[w] and double crit range), red slot, and a random DAMAGE effect.

TazMan098
07-19-2013, 05:45 PM
Gah edit is broken for me... I forgot to say +9 enh bonus on the item.

Svartelric
07-20-2013, 07:19 AM
Erm... +1 on a ML 28 item? Really? What, is this a joke or something? I hope you are implementing something that will make the items actually usable after some ritual, or crafting recipe, or a set, or anything at all. Because nobody needs an item like that, unless some major change we haven't heard of is on the way.

Btw, is FoS still doing items?

LightBear
07-21-2013, 05:29 PM
Ok, that has got to be a broken item.

Seems clear that this was yet another quick push to get things out of the door.

Sad thing for us it's unfinished.

Systern
07-21-2013, 06:19 PM
Erm... +1 on a ML 28 item? Really? What, is this a joke or something? I hope you are implementing something that will make the items actually usable after some ritual, or crafting recipe, or a set, or anything at all. Because nobody needs an item like that, unless some major change we haven't heard of is on the way.

Btw, is FoS still doing items?

Read the flavor text.... "It's not the weapon but the wielder"

Sooooooo, It's a swap item for wizards/sorcs that have an orb in one hand, this in the other, and need to run through a trap.

LightBear
07-22-2013, 01:57 AM
Read the flavor text.... "It's not the weapon but the wielder"

Sooooooo, It's a swap item for wizards/sorcs that have an orb in one hand, this in the other, and need to run through a trap.

Then why does it have a red augment slot and why is the secondary thingy on the weapon doing damage as well?

dejafu
07-22-2013, 02:52 AM
The +1 enhancement sounds like a thematic thing - this is supposed to represent the "off-hand defensive weapon" of the classic swashbuckler that's used more for parrying than fighting.

Which is a fun bit of roleplaying... at the expense of almost any real utility given the way two-weapon fighting works in this game.

Gwyxxx
07-22-2013, 04:57 AM
The Enigma that Devs could solve with two words.
Bug. Or not bug.
But they as usual are silent.

lyrecono
07-22-2013, 08:28 AM
Thanks for the post Squeak,

Please put some more food and water in that cage, seems like that weapons design monky is running high on fever (or crack XD)

seriously, for its (epic) level its terrible weak, a drow weapon master item would be stronger then this:
longsword of the drow weapon master (http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Drow_Longsword_of_the_Weapon_Master)
and even this longsword pales compaired to the drow weapon master kopesh.
and these can be picked up at lv 21!
please take the suggestions at heart and stop this random named loot, it simply doesn't work.

named loot, as the name implies, should be special, ranging from good (http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Sword_of_Shadow) to funy but useless (http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Filtration_Module)

I can only assume that its too late to abbandon this course for this expansion pack but for future work, please return to propper named items.
A year after the expansion the underdark is deserted, usualy run for its loot, flagging and ED exp farming (and only 2 drow city quests at best).
After most people have left behind this expansion(no propper named loot, no raid, no good exp etc) this pack will be at the bottom of the lfm barrel, togheter with 3 barrel cove and the underdark pack. not a pretty sight for newcommers.

Manasdirge
07-23-2013, 06:21 AM
ok those loose **** are not ever going to replace my pair of tier 4 celestia.

Thrudh
07-23-2013, 07:35 AM
Not only that, but rapiers with 19-20/x2 crit ranges...

Yeah, what is up with that? Why are the crit-ranges wrong? Is that just a mistake? Or is that on purpose? And if so, why?

Thrudh
07-23-2013, 07:36 AM
Why look at that! You are right. The Rapier is actually a Longsword. I've updated the OP, and bugged the name! Thank you!

Ah, okay... so it's a longsword...

LightBear
07-23-2013, 02:14 PM
Yeah, what is up with that? Why are the crit-ranges wrong? Is that just a mistake? Or is that on purpose? And if so, why?

It also has slash damage.

More and more reason to believe this whole pack is a rushjob as far as items go.

CoasterHops
07-24-2013, 03:28 AM
Its rumored that you can roll up a fresh level 1 toon, have that Riposte sword in your backpack after acquiring it from the AH for next to nothing, slip over in the Harbor, pierce your heart with it and still not manage to take enough actual damage to die........

oradafu
07-24-2013, 04:07 AM
Its rumored that you can roll up a fresh level 1 toon, have that Riposte sword in your backpack after acquiring it from the AH for next to nothing, slip over in the Harbor, pierce your heart with it and still not manage to take enough actual damage to die........

Well, there's also the Shiv that would only hurt you if you rolled a confirmed 20.

On the plus side, the Devs decided to add a named Dwarven Axe in one of the quests for the Expansion. So after years of players begging for Dwarven Axes to be included, they seem to be actively including them... Although the begging for decent unique Docents seems to continue to go unheard.

However, looking at all the weapons released in this expansion, it's truly sad that after the much delayed named Dwarven Axe that it's the Shield of Morning and the Magistrate's Scepter are the damage dealers.

Gratch
07-24-2013, 04:36 PM
I was gonna call this the worst named rapier at the worst time ever. Both due it's longsword stats (and wuss ones at those)... but also having basically EXTREME PARRYING on it given there's a much better Rapier (http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Balizarde,_Protector_of_the_King) that already has nonstacking Superior Parrying.

Maybe Feather Of Sun is working on enhancements and the new treasure dev is like REALLY new.... or there's just tons of pressure and no time so someone had the bright idea of "Give them all +7, base crit profiles and a um... random element so people will run it over and over." It would be nice to hear that the random element on each of these items is actually a small set of random properties that go with the item and not just FULLY RANDOM.

I'm guessing just no time given they created a rapier name with longsword stats and the LAMEST L28 ability you could put on a named rapier at this point in DDO. But you know... if Squeek thinks it's a longsword then... Let's hear it for Update 19: No Nameds you want but random items worth something again expansion.

redspecter23
07-24-2013, 04:45 PM
As mentioned earlier, I think the item, without the random effect, should stand on it's own. The random effect should be the icing on the cake, not the cake itself. For this item, assuming I would ever use it, I would be hunting for the right random effect first rather than the item in general. I'll be hunting a greater vorpal longsword, not a parrying longsword with a nifty added effect.

I really think you missed the mark on this item more than any other, though others also fall into this trap as well.

Short version. The core item without the random effect should be at least 75% of the power level of the overall item, with up to 25% being the added random effect. This item is more like 10% item/90% random effect.

Unfortunately that means that with a 5% drop rate and assuming say 10 mutations, I'll be doing approximately 200 runs to find what I'm looking for. I was annoyed with 5%, now you throw 0.5% drop rates into the mix.

PS, yes this item is garbage and I find that annoying that it's an ongoing theme for the entire expansion. I'm not going to get into constructive criticisms here as this item is beyond help.

oradafu
07-24-2013, 05:06 PM
Let's hear it for Update 19: No Nameds you want but random items worth something again expansion.

This wouldn't be too bad if this were a regular update. But for an Expansion that costs real money (at least for an update or two), you'd expect more. The lack of (decent) named items is just one of several reasons this Expansion is giving me horrible House C Challenge flashbacks. You know the one that was overpriced (and continues to be overpriced), lacked items for all builds, could only be run initially by casters even though it was pitched as a quick solo distraction for all classes, lacked good XP (that got bumped up then nerfed several times and never returned) and contained a item everyone really liked the idea of that was delayed then scrapped. Yup, this expansion is feeling a lot like that.

lyrecono
07-25-2013, 04:23 AM
This wouldn't be too bad if this were a regular update. But for an Expansion that costs real money (at least for an update or two), you'd expect more. The lack of (decent) named items is just one of several reasons this Expansion is giving me horrible House C Challenge flashbacks. You know the one that was overpriced (and continues to be overpriced), lacked items for all builds, could only be run initially by casters even though it was pitched as a quick solo distraction for all classes, lacked good XP (that got bumped up then nerfed several times and never returned) and contained a item everyone really liked the idea of that was delayed then scrapped. Yup, this expansion is feeling a lot like that.

I agree, the loot system in both Challange packs have been a huge letdown.
this expansion will be lurking on the bottom of my "new player buyers advise list"

i't's not worth the money.
The loot system is a huge letdown
I dont mind flavor, so the +1 is understandable put please add some real named loot, you know, stuff that actualy works...
So in a few years we can say:
player 1. Remember that overpriced pack back in the day with the terrible loot?
player 2. Yeah, but it had that awsome Rapier/dwarven axe/handwraps we had been asking about all those years...

Honnestly: melee's have been struggling for years untill the ED clossed the gap between casters and melee's a bit. melee's didnt need a nerf in gear and they certainly didn't need a second random loot generation system. Once again i can point at the shroud crafting system for an example of random drops ending up with the right gear for the right build. This is why this raid has been run so often, because it works .

dont listen to the points people make to fix it, you're most likely to far in to fix it. just abandon it and make something good for the next update, dont give us rush jobs.