PDA

View Full Version : Beholder anti magic question

Spadeathome
07-13-2013, 06:43 PM
Is there anyway to counter or nullify a beholders anti-magic cone?

unbongwah
07-14-2013, 08:30 AM
http://ddowiki.com/page/Anti-magic_cone

As a frontal AoE cone atk, it can be dodged (in theory - in practice I don't have much luck); or you can slip behind the beholder. But there is no way of resisting its effects, if that's what you're asking.

Spadeathome
07-14-2013, 08:50 AM
http://ddowiki.com/page/Anti-magic_cone

As a frontal AoE cone atk, it can be dodged (in theory - in practice I don't have much luck); or you can slip behind the beholder. But there is no way of resisting its effects, if that's what you're asking.

Yes I was asking about resisting it affects. I checked wiki but never saw this page.

Thanks

FuzzyDuck81
07-14-2013, 11:35 AM
The bluff skill makes enemies turn around for a few seconds, that can help too.

droid327
07-14-2013, 12:26 PM
http://ddowiki.com/page/Beholder_race#Attacking_a_Beholder

I'm guessing you're a caster if the antimagic is such a problem?

The only way to avoid the antimagic cone is to get alongside or behind the beholder. The best way to do that is to render it unable to turn, by use of a Paralyzing weapon, or some attack/spell that stuns them. They have low STR, so spells that reduce their STR by a big chunk (Ray of Enfeeblement+Ray of Exhaustion+Weakening on a throwing weapon) can be used to try and render them Helpless before they can turn their cone on you. Helpless Beholders lose their antimagic.

They also tend to not move around much, so AOE DOT spells like Acid Rain/Firewall are useful. The only caveat there is they will move more if you break LOS to them, so you have to run around (avoiding their ray attacks) while the DOT ticks.

They also, IIRC, have low Saves, so instadeath spells work if you can get into range before they face you. Worst comes to worst, just pull a Bruce Willis, run straight at and under them, turn, and blast them with something before they can spin around :)

That being said, I always assume that I'm going to get at least nicked by the AM cone every time I fight a Beholder, and lose all my buffs.

TheNameIwasntB4
07-15-2013, 06:40 AM
The anti magic ray is a pain. As is disintegrate. Bard song buffs are immune to the Beholder Anti-Magic.

I use objects in the game to block their rays. Beholders are quite squishy.

I can solo Invaders!! at level with DPS, divines, or arcanes. It took me a while to do figure out how best to do it. Run fast, get around corners, jump, dodge, long range, etc.....

The reason I had to learn to solo Invaders!! is because way back when, new players only knew one thing "CHARGE!!! RAISE ME!!!!! CHARGE!!!!! RAISE ME!!! dang I keep dying, I quit" Zero strategy and no teamwork, so I thought it best I play it solo so as not to have to deal with the negative nancies that refused to try and play smart.

TeacherSyn
07-15-2013, 01:47 PM
Be sure to read that article on the Beholder race.

One thing that beholders can't do is attack you while stunned.

But with ten eyes, a beholder WILL see through your Invisibility. But they CAN'T easily see a Stealthed one.

That means light to no-armor classes with a Stunning or Assassinate ability (read: Monks and Rogues) have advantage here--if they bothered to add points to Hide and Move Silently. Too many players don't care to think of the subtle approach--now you shall PAY for your lack of vision! (#emperorpalpatinewasaninja)

Seriously, for the non-stealthy of us, certain Paladin builds can shake off beholders, and Warforged players can do some work, too. The key is to get close to them and spike 'em like a volleyball before they can sense you. A mage should go "shock and awe" and attack as far away as you can with the most nastiest spell that will kill 'em. You're likely not going to get a second shot. Sorry. That's why beholders are there, to ruin your day. But many players do succeed--so just read up and try something new.

PsychoBlonde
07-16-2013, 05:13 PM
SLA's (spell-like abilities) can be cast while in antimagic. Sorcs and Wizards both have access to SLA's from their prestige lines, and there are several epic ones as well.

Spadeathome
07-17-2013, 05:53 PM
The bluff skill makes enemies turn around for a few seconds, that can help too.

I rarely use that skill. I will try it.

Spadeathome
07-17-2013, 06:03 PM
http://ddowiki.com/page/Beholder_race#Attacking_a_Beholder

I'm guessing you're a caster if the antimagic is such a problem?

The only way to avoid the antimagic cone is to get alongside or behind the beholder. The best way to do that is to render it unable to turn, by use of a Paralyzing weapon, or some attack/spell that stuns them. They have low STR, so spells that reduce their STR by a big chunk (Ray of Enfeeblement+Ray of Exhaustion+Weakening on a throwing weapon) can be used to try and render them Helpless before they can turn their cone on you. Helpless Beholders lose their antimagic.

They also tend to not move around much, so AOE DOT spells like Acid Rain/Firewall are useful. The only caveat there is they will move more if you break LOS to them, so you have to run around (avoiding their ray attacks) while the DOT ticks.

They also, IIRC, have low Saves, so instadeath spells work if you can get into range before they face you. Worst comes to worst, just pull a Bruce Willis, run straight at and under them, turn, and blast them with something before they can spin around :)

That being said, I always assume that I'm going to get at least nicked by the AM cone every time I fight a Beholder, and lose all my buffs.

I'm currently playing a cleric10/ranger1/rogue1. My other toon has 18 lev of ranger I just many shot them to death with good results. I have found a decent strategy since my 1st post. I get a hireling and pause him out of sight. then sneak behind or at least out of the way. then I call hire. when beholder reacts I strike. has been working pretty well.

Spadeathome
07-17-2013, 06:07 PM
Be sure to read that article on the Beholder race.

One thing that beholders can't do is attack you while stunned.

But with ten eyes, a beholder WILL see through your Invisibility. But they CAN'T easily see a Stealthed one.

That means light to no-armor classes with a Stunning or Assassinate ability (read: Monks and Rogues) have advantage here--if they bothered to add points to Hide and Move Silently. Too many players don't care to think of the subtle approach--now you shall PAY for your lack of vision! (#emperorpalpatinewasaninja)

Seriously, for the non-stealthy of us, certain Paladin builds can shake off beholders, and Warforged players can do some work, too. The key is to get close to them and spike 'em like a volleyball before they can sense you. A mage should go "shock and awe" and attack as far away as you can with the most nastiest spell that will kill 'em. You're likely not going to get a second shot. Sorry. That's why beholders are there, to ruin your day. But many players do succeed--so just read up and try something new.

I am having decent success with a sneak then a flame strike and then strike quickly with a couple of banish weapons.

Spadeathome
07-17-2013, 06:12 PM
I have sort of a follow up question. Any suggestions when there r more then 1 beholder in a fight? I am finding that a VERY VERY hard fight to win.

My example is jungles of Kyber. When u get to the beholder part if I fail to take out the 1st 1 quickly and a 2nd shows up things go down hill badly and my success race goes down rapidly.

FuzzyDuck81
07-18-2013, 01:57 AM
I have sort of a follow up question. Any suggestions when there r more then 1 beholder in a fight? I am finding that a VERY VERY hard fight to win.

My example is jungles of Kyber. When u get to the beholder part if I fail to take out the 1st 1 quickly and a 2nd shows up things go down hill badly and my success race goes down rapidly.

move forward slowly & fire into walls a way ahead of you... the noise will attract the nearest one allowing you to pick them off one at a time as they come round the corner. Pack a warforged hireling too (either fighter/barbarian type or there's a FvS one i think) & let them charge in, they might get splatted by a disintegrate but it'll be a handy decoy anyway. Otherwise, you'll need some kind of spell absorb effect - silver flame necklace & mantle of the worldshaper are the most likely ones you'll be able to get hold of at your level.