PDA

View Full Version : Wand/scroll crafting

MalarKan
07-12-2013, 08:22 PM
Yes... caster/divine classes should definetly be able to create wands and scrolls based on the spells they can cast and, you know, probably adding a skill to the ones we already have would be a way to implant this system... adding them to the canith system seems ilogical to me, but you are the guys in charge anyways :P

Long Live R.O.G.U.E. !

droid327
07-12-2013, 08:47 PM
Yes... caster/divine classes should definetly be able to create wands and scrolls based on the spells they can cast and, you know, probably adding a skill to the ones we already have would be a way to implant this system... adding them to the canith system seems ilogical to me, but you are the guys in charge anyways :P

Long Live R.O.G.U.E. !

Just to play Tiefling's Advocate...

That would kinda negate the whole idea of slotting spells. If you could just craft your own wands/scrolls (presumably, from cheaply-acquired vendor components) then you could just keep a stack of scrolls for spells you only need to cast occasionally and don't need to meta (long-term buffs, status-curing effects, etc.), meaning you get all your utility spells on scrolls and can save all your actual slots for offensive, meta-requiring spells.

Also, would they be BtC or tradable? If its the former, then there's not really much use for the system OTHER than to bypass spell slotting. If its the latter, then its going to short-circuit the dev's ability to control certain spell availability by making them non-vendor. Basically every spell would be readily available on the market - with enough UMD, you could get every single buff from every single class, in a full stack of 100. And healing scrolls would be way cheaper and more readily available. UMD would become way too overpowered.

ssgcmwatson
07-13-2013, 10:02 PM
I would just be happy if we could crunch wands together to save bank space, perhaps at the cost of a charge or two.

i.e. you have a Wand of Stoneskin (12 charges left) and pull another Wand of Stoneskin (22 charges) - put both in the stone of change and get a single Wand of Stoneskin (~34 charges)

MalarKan
08-10-2013, 08:54 PM
That would kinda negate the whole idea of slotting spells.

Yes. That is precisely the point. But not really. Wether they become btc, bta or unbound its a subyect that only matters to the DDO development team, for now. My idea is just that, an idea, its just a starting point, which is not even original, since scroll creation already exists in the D&D world, and however the game developers decide to implement this mechanic into de game it wont be game breaking or make UMD absolutely overpowered as you suggested... well, it might only if Quicken would aply to scrolls and also if you could create ANY scroll and make it caster level as high as the caster who created it along with making it completely unbound. THAT would be overpowered, but we know that would never happen.

Anyways, back to the begining... wand/scroll creation, btc or not ... Is it really a bad idea? I think its a great idea that would add a little more flavour to this already dying game, a little more versatility to spell casting classes

Wanesa
08-11-2013, 03:41 AM
did anybody see a wand bracelet? (it is part of description of every wand)

salmag
08-12-2013, 12:03 PM
Yes. That is precisely the point. But not really. Wether they become btc, bta or unbound its a subyect that only matters to the DDO development team, for now. My idea is just that, an idea, its just a starting point, which is not even original, since scroll creation already exists in the D&D world, and however the game developers decide to implement this mechanic into de game it wont be game breaking or make UMD absolutely overpowered as you suggested... well, it might only if Quicken would aply to scrolls and also if you could create ANY scroll and make it caster level as high as the caster who created it along with making it completely unbound. THAT would be overpowered, but we know that would never happen.

Anyways, back to the begining... wand/scroll creation, btc or not ... Is it really a bad idea? I think its a great idea that would add a little more flavour to this already dying game, a little more versatility to spell casting classes

Isn't there a rule in DnD that you could only craft 4th level spells and lower. I could be wrong, but that would not be earth-shattering, or game breaking. Make them BTC.

The only spell I could foresee a problem would probably be Dimension Door. But even that is not a problem if the Scrolls/Wands were BTC.

I would make potions BTA and only be of the self-buff/heal (repair) variety, with no level limit.