PDA

View Full Version : Protection from Tainted Creatures question

FAQ
07-04-2013, 06:58 AM
I have a level 18 human monk with all the Shintao prestige enhancements. Part of the description says, if I'm not mistaken, that I have Protection from Tainted Creatures (Warding against mental domination and granting a +6 deflection bonus to AC and a +6 resistance bonus to saves against attacks from extraplanar creatures, aberrations, and undead).

When I read this I assumed that "+6 resistance bonus to saves against attacks from..." meant I would have a +6 bonus to my saves from spells cast by these creatures. Is this correct?

I ask because I was just exploring the Eerie Forest yesterday and summoned Varney the Vampire (obviously an undead and, therefore, a tainted creature to my monk). I forgot to wear my deathblock item and was in wind stance. So before I knew it he used destuction on me and I went caput.

My fort save was listed as 24 in my character sheet and when I check my log it said something like: "You rolled a 24+4 failure againts destruction...

Wasn't my fort save supposed to be 30 in this case or am I missing something.

Thanks in advance for the answers

sebastianosmith
07-04-2013, 07:14 AM
Protection from Tainted Creatures grants resistance only to those spells or spell-like abilities which affect a character's mind and have a will save. Destruction is a fortitude save-or-die spell so is not subject to the bonus.

FAQ
07-04-2013, 07:28 AM
Thank you kindly for your clarification