PDA

View Full Version : Dear Devs: Why the hate on UMD lately?

Systern
07-01-2013, 05:16 PM
Just a humble question.... why is UMD being downplayed recently?

First the skill tomes are specifically excluding UMD.
The UMD +1 Tome is 800 TP which is more than double the price of a +3 tome.
The Enhancement preview shwos that the Artificer ArcanoTechnician tree changed so that it got rid of Wand Heightening (thank you), but replaced it with something that's not Improved UMD.

I see that you're getting rid of race restrictions which indeed help, but what about the alignment restrictions that are already in game? Greater Good carries UMD 46. To UMD a heal scroll you need a 39... Are these DCs going to be adjusted as well?

The silliest piece of named gear in the game, by my opinion, is the Korthos gloves that give +1 to UMD... What in the game, other than something like the Eternal Wand of Cure trivial wounds, will benefit from a UMD of 5-7? Which is what a level 1 or 2 character will have.

Missing_Minds
07-01-2013, 05:29 PM
UMD is extremely powerful, and can cause (and has) a power creep in and of itself.

Ever wonder why Wall of Fire, Cloudkill, and others (baring ddoor) got removed from the vendors? UMDers were making casters irrelevant.
I'm just thankful that Heal and the various Raise scrolls are still in the store. Which with skill tomes, players could access such, much earlier than currently causing creep again. I'm guessing given their high price they figure they can limit the creep while making a few bucks also. I honestly didn't know they had UMD tomes till your post.

ThePrisoner
07-01-2013, 05:43 PM

First the skill tomes are specifically excluding UMD.
The UMD +1 Tome is 800 TP which is more than double the price of a +3 tome.
The Enhancement preview shwos that the Artificer ArcanoTechnician tree changed so that it got rid of Wand Heightening (thank you), but replaced it with something that's not Improved UMD.

I see that you're getting rid of race restrictions which indeed help, but what about the alignment restrictions that are already in game? Greater Good carries UMD 46. To UMD a heal scroll you need a 39... Are these DCs going to be adjusted as well?

The silliest piece of named gear in the game, by my opinion, is the Korthos gloves that give +1 to UMD... What in the game, other than something like the Eternal Wand of Cure trivial wounds, will benefit from a UMD of 5-7? Which is what a level 1 or 2 character will have.

Even though UMD is such a useful skill that it almost does belong in a different category, I agree that UMD tomes seem a bit pricey for what you get back.

While I do understand your complaints about the difficulty of getting a useful UMD number on a character, there have been and will be some changes that help make it easier. For example, we have 5 epic levels now in which you get a full 1 point of UMD per level whether or not it is a class skill. In a couple months, it will be a total of 8 levels equaling 8 points of UMD. In addition, there is the doubling (but not stacking) of exceptional skill items. This makes it easier to justify wearing a +6 charisma skills item since you can now use Tiers 1 and 2 for other things and don't need to devote the whole item to getting the +6. Factor in Greater Luck being blue slot-able and UMD tomes, expensive as they may be, and at end game at least it's not too tough to scroll heal on non charisma based, non UMD class skilled characters.

redoubt
07-02-2013, 12:48 AM
As MM said, UMD is hugely powerful. It needed to be treated differently.

Tscheuss
07-02-2013, 02:12 AM
Maybe it is meant to stimulate new interest in the Twilight Forge?

TrinityTurtle
07-02-2013, 10:53 AM
In addition to the power creep issue, and mind you I have no idea how much time spends on player culture issue, but there are a lot of threads about the divide between vet and new players, and self-sufficiency is one of the key measures of which side you belong on. There are a lot of threads in which players indicate they WANT Turbine to nanny us with incentives into playing together, and making umd more easily available could very realistically only separate everyone even further apart. \

Personally I think people taking the time to BE personable and friendly in groups would help a lot of these people, but what do I know. I'm just a turtle. :) But I notice that some of the ones that complain they can't get groups I have played with and were really unpleasant or might as well have been a hireling for all they contributed to the social aspect of it. And while I know everyone is different, I'm far far more likely to remember fun people and group with them again or choose them in my list of applicants to my lfm over silent people who are just kinda there.

But you know, we 'need' Turbine to fix it for us instead of putting out some effort. LOL Sorry, I went off on a tangent, I'll shut up now. :)