PDA

View Full Version : warforged arcanes

TTHJR
06-23-2013, 06:01 AM
Warforged arcane casters is ridiculous! This breaks one of the oldest and most fundemental rules of D&D.Casters cant wear metal armor without spell failure.

What is turbine trying to tell us with warforged arcanes without any spell casting hinderance?That its ok to break the rules as long as you have money to spend with us?

Vellrad
06-23-2013, 06:05 AM
http://dndtools.eu/classes/runesmith/

Kthxbai.

CaptainSpacePony
06-23-2013, 06:15 AM
Warforged arcane casters is ridiculous! This breaks one of the oldest and most fundemental rules of D&D.Casters cant wear metal armor without spell failure.

What is turbine trying to tell us with warforged arcanes without any spell casting hinderance?That its ok to break the rules as long as you have money to spend with us?

I remember once upon a time, long, long ago, D&D had elves. They were really multiclass fighter/wizards that could wear armor and cast arcane spells.

Warforged do have arcane spell failure. The more metallic and inflexible they are, the worse it gets. Even so, warforged may be less metal than you think.

I'd like to add, the spurious nature of the OP's final sentence strips the credibility of what may be a simple question regarding the nature of an aspect of DDO's game design.

TTHJR
06-23-2013, 06:16 AM
http://dndtools.eu/classes/runesmith/

Kthxbai.

my drow sorc can also cast arcane spells while wearing certain plate armors, and trained in required enhancments/augment of spell agility. you seem to be missing the point all together.

Vellrad
06-23-2013, 06:18 AM
my drow sorc can also cast arcane spells while wearing certain plate armors, and trained in required enhancments/augment of spell agility. you seem to be missing the point all together.

Can't miss something that don't exist.

TTHJR
06-23-2013, 06:38 AM
[QUOTE=Vellrad;5027321]Can't miss something that don't exist.[/QUOTE

Very little thought was involved in creating the warfoiged race. Here is a race that has a composite metal skin that acts like plate armor with only5% spell failure.Now what would all the other races do to the warforge race?would they hunt them like dragons for their skins to make armor?Maybe the warforged race would have been hunted too extinction because they sure are alot easier to kill than a dragon is.Why doesnt a rust monster do triple damage to them?Or send them running scared? I see alot of pro's very few con's for warforged

Also this has created racial bias when trying to join a group with other than a wf character.

Nerf the wf or thats all that will be running quests before long.

Vellrad
06-23-2013, 06:54 AM

Very little thought was involved in creating the warfoiged race. Here is a race that has a composite metal skin that acts like plate armor with only5% spell failure.Now what would all the other races do to the warforge race?would they hunt them like dragons for their skins to make armor?Maybe the warforged race would have been hunted too extinction because they sure are alot easier to kill than a dragon is.Why doesnt a rust monster do triple damage to them?Or send them running scared? I see alot of pro's very few con's for warforged

Also this has created racial bias when trying to join a group with other than a wf character.

Go read some Eberron lore, then come back (or even better, go and dissapear ;p)

TTHJR
06-23-2013, 07:01 AM
I remember once upon a time, long, long ago, D&D had elves. They were really multiclass fighter/wizards that could wear armor and cast arcane spells.

Warforged do have arcane spell failure. The more metallic and inflexible they are, the worse it gets. Even so, warforged may be less metal than you think.

I'd like to add, the spurious nature of the OP's final sentence strips the credibility of what may be a simple question regarding the nature of an aspect of DDO's game design.

once upon a time wizards could always wear ant armor and use any weapon if they had the strength.however they couldnt wear any type of protective helm at all, including cloth.

TTHJR
06-23-2013, 07:08 AM
[QUOTE=TTHJR;5027329]

Go read some Eberron lore, then come back (or even better, go and dissapear ;p)

why dont you pull your head out of your ???.Anyone can create a society or dungeon that is suited for p2p only.But doing this by bending game laws that have been around for 40 years insnt a wise thing to do.these so called game s still opereate under a trademark.

Citzen_Gkar
06-23-2013, 07:11 AM

Clearly you don't know what you are talking about because some casters could wear metal armor right back to AD&D 1.0 (and maybe even Basic/expert, but I'm not certain about that).

ok for those that dont grasp game mechanics

lol, wow, you don't even grasp the basics of the game mechanics do you? Oh well, at least from your post title you seem to understand that you don't know anything, that's a good first step

Dandonk
06-23-2013, 07:16 AM
If anyone has popcorn, /share please.

Dandonk
06-23-2013, 07:19 AM
EDIT: Yay, double-post. Love the new forums. Or something.

Ykt
06-23-2013, 07:20 AM
Very little thought was involved in creating the warfoiged race. Here is a race that has a composite metal skin that acts like plate armor with only5% spell failure.

Composite plating is not plate armor, did you even read the feat descriptions of Mithral Body and Adamantine Body?
Mithral body is light armoring equivalent to chainmail shirt or studded leather while adamantine body is heavy armoring equivalent to half plate.

Composite plating, the base armor of the Warforged is only +2 AC not +8 like full plate.

There is no point to this thread since it's based on misconceptions.

Uska
06-23-2013, 07:35 AM
Learn eberron and 3.x

Uska
06-23-2013, 07:37 AM
once upon a time wizards could always wear ant armor and use any weapon if they had the strength.however they couldnt wear any type of protective helm at all, including cloth.

Pretty much totally incorrect

TTHJR
06-23-2013, 07:37 AM
Composite plating is not plate armor, did you even read the feat descriptions of Mithral Body and Adamantine Body?
Mithral body is light armoring equivalent to chainmail shirt or studded leather while adamantine body is heavy armoring equivalent to half plate.

Composite plating, the base armor of the Warforged is only +2 AC not +8 like full plate.

There is no point to this thread since it's based on misconceptions.

lol alot of players want thier warforged casters lefted alone i see, i can understand that if you dont have the skill to level a real caster.

Basically thats why warforged was created for all you that cant build a toon.So if all else fails , you can always buy points and go warforged

Vellrad
06-23-2013, 07:44 AM
lol alot of players want thier warforged casters lefted alone i see, i can understand that if you dont have the skill to level a real caster.

Basically thats why warforged was created for all you that cant build a toon.So if all else fails , you can always buy points and go warforged

So, in your twisted vision of world, Eberron was created by Turbine?

This is even getting better.

Please, don't cease to amuse us.

Lonnbeimnech
06-23-2013, 07:52 AM

1.wf do take extra damge from rust monsters
2.the 2 points of ac mean almost nothing, actually an elf can get to a higher ac

3. Elven Arcane Fluidity IV: Your arcane spell failure chance while wearing light armor decreased by 20%, your arcane spell failure chance while wearing medium armor is decreased by 15%, and your arcane spell failure chance while wearing heavy armor or using shields is decreased by 10%.

combined with mithral armor such as http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Shadowmail_%28Level_25%29, their casting failure is 0%

4. the biggest negative for wf casters is that most of the good casting armors are robes and wf cant wear robes, that causes slot configuration issues for them, the biggest negative for wf in general is negative healing amplification

5. and their biggest pro is not 2 points of ac or the tiny amount of damage reduction that means almost nothing and doesnt even stack with stone skin. it is the reconstruct spell, but now everyone with a blue bar can twist rejuvination cacoon, so...

TheLegendOfAra
06-23-2013, 08:32 AM

You have no idea of what you speak, young one.

I've very rarely, in all my years of playing this game seen anyone turned down from a group for not playing a WF. in any class.
And the only times I did was back when VOD was end game, and WF tanks were preferable in that one raid. And that was it. And even then, if you had anyone else who had the AC needed, you took them.

If there is any racial bias, you're creating it.

The only thing, and I mean the ONLY thing inherently better about WF casters than fleshy casters is the ability to self heal without swapping to heal scrolls. And this doesn't even matter on a palemaster, and you'd be better off with a different race. And now with ED's and cocoon. Well, WF just aren't that great anymore in comparison. They're about equal now, since the +2 racial con does make it easier to qualify for epic toughness.

And WF have been out for how long now?
They're still not the most popular race... And are pretty horrible for EVERYTHING outside of like what, 3 builds?

And besides all of the game mechanics, it's a pretty integral part of the Eborron lore, from the original PnP game books. If these weren't in the game, or had been implemented differently... well, Let's just say it would have been one of the biggest fails in this games history.

TTHJR
06-23-2013, 08:37 AM
[QUOTE=TTHJR;5027329]

1.wf do take extra damge from rust monsters
2.the 2 points of ac mean almost nothing, actually an elf can get to a higher ac

3. Elven Arcane Fluidity IV: Your arcane spell failure chance while wearing light armor decreased by 20%, your arcane spell failure chance while wearing medium armor is decreased by 15%, and your arcane spell failure chance while wearing heavy armor or using shields is decreased by 10%.

combined with mithral armor such as http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Shadowmail_%28Level_25%29, their casting failure is 0%

4. the biggest negative for wf casters is that most of the good casting armors are robes and wf cant wear robes, that causes slot configuration issues for them, the biggest negative for wf in general is negative healing amplification

5. and their biggest pro is not 2 points of ac or the tiny amount of damage reduction that means almost nothing and doesnt even stack with stone skin. it is the reconstruct spell, but now everyone with a blue bar can twist rejuvination cacoon, so...

really dont care what is replied, as a DND player since the 70's .warforge race is a total joke, no brain, no lungs,no sexual organs, no soul, more or less a playable golem . golems where controlled by their makers.unless the warforge has some kind of fantasy microprocessor in its head giving it the ability to think and have int. was very convient that not all of labatories that make warforge wasnt destroyied as ordered by house canith so no other warforge could be produced. like i said a joke of a race made for those that just dont get it when it comes to rolling a toon

BoBach
06-23-2013, 08:58 AM
Do you realy know the game, TTHJR?

The normal composite plaiting is only a feat that enables you to wear a docent ... (like a wizzy can wear a robe ...)
If you are talking about armour, then look at mithril (light-) or adamatine body (heavy armor). The arcane spell failure is significantly increased here.

http://ddowiki.com/page/Warforged

Regards Bo

TTHJR
06-23-2013, 09:08 AM
You have no idea of what you speak, young one.

I've very rarely, in all my years of playing this game seen anyone turned down from a group for not playing a WF. in any class.
And the only times I did was back when VOD was end game, and WF tanks were preferable in that one raid. And that was it. And even then, if you had anyone else who had the AC needed, you took them.

If there is any racial bias, you're creating it.

The only thing, and I mean the ONLY thing inherently better about WF casters than fleshy casters is the ability to self heal without swapping to heal scrolls. And this doesn't even matter on a palemaster, and you'd be better off with a different race. And now with ED's and cocoon. Well, WF just aren't that great anymore in comparison. They're about equal now, since the +2 racial con does make it easier to qualify for epic toughness.

And WF have been out for how long now?
They're still not the most popular race... And are pretty horrible for EVERYTHING outside of like what, 3 builds?

And besides all of the game mechanics, it's a pretty integral part of the Eborron lore, from the original PnP game books. If these weren't in the game, or had been implemented differently... well, Let's just say it would have been one of the biggest fails in this games history.

I'm not all that young. Warforge is a part of Eberon history.I could list all the other races that are a part of Eberon history that are not a part of DDO.Everyone has an opinion, mine is Warforge as a player race was a total bust. Not because they dont belong. Just read up on the warforge race. They cant reproduce, they are created.Who is doing the creating?The lord of Blades? Muwhahahahaha or, one of those Canith labratories that that should have been destroyed?

TTHJR
06-23-2013, 09:24 AM
So, in your twisted vision of world, Eberron was created by Turbine?

This is even getting better.

Please, don't cease to amuse us.

Turbine didn't create the warforged race! They created the warforged player race. Wf pop out of some mythical laboratory that somehow manage to not get destroyed. Available for you to play for a small token price. Warforged should be a race on the verge of extinction, something rare and wonderous if you should happen to meet one. Not overly abundant arrogant player race that has no sex organs to reprodduce and run bias quest refusing players that are not warforged.

Lonnbeimnech
06-23-2013, 09:25 AM
I'm not all that young. Warforge is a part of Eberon history.I could list all the other races that are a part of Eberon history that are not a part of DDO.Everyone has an opinion, mine is Warforge as a player race was a total bust. Not because they dont belong. Just read up on the warforge race. They cant reproduce, they are created.Who is doing the creating?The lord of Blades? Muwhahahahaha or, one of those Canith labratories that that should have been destroyed?

When you roll a new character, you dont start at the time they were born. A human would be 18 or 30 years old, and elf would be 200 or whatever. Likewise if you start up a lvl 1 wf wizard, it wasnt just created, he has a back story. Perhaps he was forged 100 years ago and worked as a bartender until he got fired then went and bought a book and started learning. *shrugs*

Point is, the wf are already created, so them not being able to reproduce is a non issue.

TTHJR
06-23-2013, 09:51 AM
When you roll a new character, you dont start at the time they were born. A human would be 18 or 30 years old, and elf would be 200 or whatever. Likewise if you start up a lvl 1 wf wizard, it wasnt just created, he has a back story. Perhaps he was forged 100 years ago and worked as a bartender until he got fired then went and bought a book and started learning. *shrugs*

Point is, the wf are already created, so them not being able to reproduce is a non issue.

ok then, that brings us to another ******** aspec. Warforged being created just like a golem.Just how would a warforged be able to reincarnate?I mean really, hard to reincarnate if you were created not born of a living parents wouldnt you say?

Lonnbeimnech
06-23-2013, 10:00 AM
ok then, that brings us to another ******** aspec. Warforged being created just like a golem.Just how would a warforged be able to reincarnate?I mean really, hard to reincarnate if you were created not born of a living parents wouldnt you say?

The eberron setting leaves their creation as a mystery for the DM to fill in as suits his campeign. What the folks at ddo seem to hint at is that they were originally created by the quori from the dream plane as host bodies for their kind in the ancient war with the giants. House cannith found these creation forges and managed to get them online and made a few(hundred? thousand? hundred thousand?) warforged before it became illegal to make more of them some time ago when it became known that they were sentient beings and were to be treated as living humanoids with rights and so forth, rather than as golems or other constructs.

Talon_Moonshadow
06-23-2013, 10:33 AM

You have pretty much just proven to me that this whol ethread is based on your perception that WF casters are more powerful than othrr casters and that you do not want to pay to play one, so you want them removed from the game (or nerfed).

Some races are always better for some classes than others... this has probably always been true in D&D.

But WF get only two advantages IMO for being a caster.

Higher AC is one of them.... but..... only 2 higher from Composite plating. Maybe slightly higher from docents... but actually that is no longer true either. (unless you know where I can find a +8 Docent)

Self healing is the real advantage of WF. AC bo0nus is meaningless. Slightly meaningful at low levels, but I think that a fleshy caster can get a higher AC at high levels (right now... futire gear could always change that)

IMO, WF should... make poor Sorcs... but Turbine has turned Sorcs into damage dealers that could care less about a penalty to their casting stat so...... they actually make real good Sorcs.

Maybe your post should be about Con. Since the most common held beleif about how to buld a great caster in DDO is max casting stat and then pump just about everythin gelse into Con... and WF have a bonus to Con.

It is almost laughable to me that you focus on WF caster AC.

IMO, WF AC for all classes is lacking behind other races.

WF immunities have been nerfed significantly.

I do agree that Rust Monsters should be returned to their previous furosios state that use to sened WF players running in fear. (God I miss that!)

You want a caster with AC? Play an Elf.
They are the best SR defeaters anyway.

Drow have the best save DCs.

Pale Masters can self heal.

Half Elf with Cleric dillie could wand and scroll heal very well. (but SP healing is always better)

News flash: WF are NOT the best casters.

But they do fit a popular playing style very well.

Charononus
06-23-2013, 10:41 AM

Guess you missed
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warlock_%28Dungeons_%26_Dragons%29
http://dndtools.eu/feats/complete-arcane--55/battle-caster--183/

really dont care what is replied, as a DND player since the 70's .warforge race is a total joke, no brain, no lungs,no sexual organs, no soul, more or less a playable golem . golems where controlled by their makers.unless the warforge has some kind of fantasy microprocessor in its head giving it the ability to think and have int. was very convient that not all of labatories that make warforge wasnt destroyied as ordered by house canith so no other warforge could be produced. like i said a joke of a race made for those that just dont get it when it comes to rolling a toon

Guess someone got booted from a byoh group for rolling a drow sorc with no umd.

The eberron setting leaves their creation as a mystery for the DM to fill in as suits his campeign. What the folks at ddo seem to hint at is that they were originally created by the quori from the dream plane as host bodies for their kind in the ancient war with the giants. House cannith found these creation forges and managed to get them online and made a few(hundred? thousand? hundred thousand?) warforged before it became illegal to make more of them some time ago when it became known that they were sentient beings and were to be treated as living humanoids with rights and so forth, rather than as golems or other constructs.
I always pictured the last war as being close to world war two in scale, with something like 100 million combatants 80% or so of which were warforged.

Rubbinns
06-23-2013, 11:21 AM
So you made your first ddo character thinking this was a round by round based and rooted combat structure like D&D.

Then you stepped into a byoh Elite BB streak pug thinking I'm gonna nuke things and ding'd on the first few mobs.

Then you realized since you can't heal that no one is going to stay behind you to pump hjeals at your fleshy wizard all dungeon long.

After further dying they told you to not join their group and pointed out that WF can self heal so you should probably roll one if you dont know how to heal yourself.
But, yeah, let's scream nerf WF because you don't want to learn how to better play a fast paced, first person shooter mmo with infinite character builds based on D&D.

droid327
06-23-2013, 09:19 PM
Everyone else has pretty thoroughly elucidated all the problems with the OP's viewpoint about WF and Eberron.

I'd just like to add that "Composite Armor" does not necessarily mean metal at all. I've always thought it was analogous to a "composite bow", ie layers of various materials like wood, bone, and sinew, that grant greater flexibility and elasticity to the material. If it was metal, you'd imagine that WF would not be able to be Druids no matter what, since that's why they cant take Mithral or Adamantine plating.

Modern composite armor is the same idea, albeit with metals, ceramics, plastics etc. as the layered materials.

Plus, its not like metal somehow "short circuits" arcane power in the first place, it just makes it hard to perform the somatic component of arcane spells.

Gkar
06-23-2013, 09:38 PM
Turbine didn't create the warforged race! They created the warforged player race. .

You know you can't make a single post without getting a fact wrong. Eberron is the default 3.5 campaign setting. In Eberron 3.5 PnP WF are a player race (and actually in many ways more powerful than the DDO WF since most of their immunities were stripped by Turbine)

Nightmanis
06-23-2013, 10:15 PM
Oh my god this is hilarious.

Seriously, you're convinced that Warforged Arcanes are overpowered?

Sorry about your E-peen bro.

sigtrent
06-23-2013, 11:50 PM
Some people like role playing a Warforged

Others apparently like role playing a Troll.

To each their own.