PDA

View Full Version : wizard's favorite prepared spells by level

remember1
06-16-2013, 12:29 PM
looking to perceive which spells are more used at each level, in descending order, based on playing experience

starting with wizard level 1 and 2

lets start wizard level 1:

level 1 1st slot: magic missile
level 1 2nd slot: expeditious retreat
level 1 3rd slot: niac's cold ray

wizard level 2:

level 1 3rd slot: niac's cold ray
level 1 4th slot: mage armor

own preferences will be updated

Enoach
06-16-2013, 12:44 PM
This is what I found

1st Level
1. Sonic Blast <- Stun and Damage - very little is immune to sonic damage - Has a cone effect so can be used as CC.
2. Charm <- Because there are many times you don't have to kill everything, just distract it
3. Masters Touch <- Even with 6 Strength a THW is a good way to crush a skull or two

2nd Level
4. Shield/Night Shield <- avoiding Magic Missile damage is a good thing

- If the wizard has access to 1st Level spell augmentation MM will have more damage but not the bonus stun which also increase damage
- Naic's is good, but not against high reflex mobs. A rookie mistake is attempting to Maximize spam this spell against high reflex mobs, doing almost no damage and draining you fast of SP.

Expeditious Retreat is also a good spell but one that comes on early Clickable items.

remember1
06-16-2013, 05:49 PM
1st Level
1. Sonic Blast <- Stun and Damage - very little is immune to sonic damage - Has a cone effect so can be used as CC.
2. Charm <- Because there are many times you don't have to kill everything, just distract it
3. Masters Touch <- Even with 6 Strength a THW is a good way to crush a skull or two

selecting magic missile instead of sonic blast because of higher damage since I picked force enhancements but sonic is a good alternative

y I drop niac's in favor of charm and got master's touch in case of....

1st Level
2nd Level
4. Shield/Night Shield <- avoiding Magic Missile damage is a good thing.....
Expeditious Retreat is also a good spell but one that comes on early Clickable items.

prefer expeditious over shield/nightshield

so after wizard level 3

wizard level 3:

level 1 3rd slot: charm
level 1 4th slot: master's touch

level 2 1st slot: scorching ray
level 2 2nd slot: web

EllisDee37
06-16-2013, 06:27 PM
Sonic blast is the best barrel-breaker in the entire game. It's so good that all my umd alts carry a stack of 100 sonic blast scrolls. I can't imagine not slotting it on a wizard. (Set to never use any metas, of course.)

Also, nightshield is one of my core buffs on both my cleric and wizard even at level 25.

Magic missile damage is terrible, even with a maxed force line with the best force gear. Just terrible. Only shirardi makes it worthwhile.

In terms of single-target ray-type spells, I much prefer:

Niac's Cold Ray
Scorching Ray (no save!)
Frost Lance (replacing niac's immediately)
Lightning Bolt (not a huge fan of this, but if not cold specced for some reason)
Necrotic Ray (probably best-in-game, but without nullification enhancements it's essentially PM-only)

None of the force damage "ray" spells are worth much at all even if force-specced: Magic Missile, Chain Missiles, Force Missiles.

remember1
06-17-2013, 03:33 AM
I've played scarcely wizard in the past but gained a deeper insight in wizard's spells with the comments provided so far

....Niac's Cold Ray
Scorching Ray (no save!)
Frost Lance (replacing niac's immediately)
Lightning Bolt (not a huge fan of this, but if not cold specced for some reason)
Necrotic Ray (probably best-in-game, but without nullification enhancements it's essentially PM-only)....

since wizard is level 4 Frost Lance, Lightning Bolt, Necrotic Ray arent available yet

lets extend to the additional slot prepared at wizard level 4 (talking about the most obvious wizard's prepared spells, ofc in undead's dungeons disrupt undead is a must, etc.)

wizard level 4

level 1 4th slot: master's touch

level 2 2nd slot: false life

EllisDee37
06-17-2013, 01:52 PM
lets extend to the additional slot prepared at wizard level 4 (talking about the most obvious wizard's prepared spells, ofc in undead's dungeons disrupt undead is a must, etc.)I have tried disrupt undead but always found it lacking. For undead heavy quests I prefer scorching ray and scorch, replaced with firewall at level 7.

Here's the spells my wizards use when they have 4 wizard levels:

wizard level 4

level 1 1st slot: expeditious retreat
level 1 2nd slot: nightshield
level 1 3rd slot: sonic blast
level 1 4th slot: niac's cold ray

level 2 3rd slot: scorch (or blur)

Next level you get 2 level 3 spells, which for me would be:

level 3 1st slot: frost lance
level 3 2nd slot: buff of some kind (displace, haste, rage, magic circle vs evil)
level 1 4th slot: protection from evil replaces niac's cold ray

Aashrym
06-18-2013, 12:34 AM
Another common tactic is to alternate acid burst and burning hands at those levels. They can carry you up to your 4th level spell list when things get really interesting.

I have to add my vote for sonic blast too. The damage has no save, AoE's, and has a save or daze effect, plus breaks boxes. The way it's damage is set up it does 3 dice instead of 2 for magic missile and almost as much as burning hands or acid burst but at range with the daze. It's a top notch spell at 4th level.

I also don't use disrupt undead. Web works on them and there are other damage spells that are more universal.

Sokól
06-18-2013, 05:01 AM
Sonic Blast is is a good spell and it works well with Electric Loop if you can fit him in.

remember1
06-18-2013, 02:33 PM
....wizard level 4

level 1 2nd slot: nightshield
level 1 3rd slot: sonic blast
level 1 4th slot: niac's cold ray

level 2 3rd slot: scorch (or blur)....

without master's touch you gave up melee option, but melee could be useful at least at low levels

same argument for charm

owning doubts if web is useful so early in the game, feeling any of scorching ray, blur and false life are more helpful

Another common tactic is to alternate acid burst and burning hands at those levels.....

wouldnt the wizard take noticeable melee damage ?

Sonic Blast is is a good spell and it works well with Electric Loop if you can fit him in

good point

EllisDee37
06-18-2013, 03:06 PM
without master's touch you gave up melee option, but melee could be useful at least at low levelsI never use melee on a wizard, and have never needed to. I have now done 3 wizard lives, two on my wizard and one on my cleric. All 3 lives I never used melee.

same argument for charmI do like charm when soloing, but it's not a priority. I much prefer dominate, to be honest, because charmed mobs stay behind and contribute to dungeon alert. Dominated mobs come with you and eventually die.

owning doubts if web is useful so early in the game, feeling any of scorching ray, blur and false life are more helpfulFalse life has always struck me as particularly useless. Scorching ray is full of win, but web is the best level 2 spell there is, bar none. Nothing is quite as satisfying as kiting a bunch of mobs into a web and then cooking them up with scorch. Blur is good, but can be delayed.

remember1
06-18-2013, 03:23 PM
I never use melee on a wizard, and have never needed to. I have now done 3 wizard lives, two on my wizard and one on my cleric. All 3 lives I never used melee....

useful insight

....web is the best level 2 spell....

may be.... my point was its usefulness at level 4

remember1
06-18-2013, 03:38 PM
after the help below

wizard level 4

level 1 2nd slot: niac's cold ray
level 1 4th slot: nightshield

level 2 2nd slot: blur
level 2 3rd slot: melf's acid arrow

Aashrym
06-18-2013, 10:50 PM
wouldnt the wizard take noticeable melee damage ?

Not anymore than with master's touch and mêlée. A person can potion heal well enough at that level. Or practice moving more.

Mêlée used to be a common method until the U9 spell pass. Cheaper direct damage changed that.

EllisDee37
06-19-2013, 01:11 PM
may be.... my point was its usefulness at level 4Web is useful at level 4.

AbyssalMage
06-20-2013, 12:52 AM
What are we talking about here?

Solo? Molo (mercenary solo'ing)? Group?
Normal, Hard, or Elite?
Role Playing or Min/Max?
I assume pure?

I molo, its cheaper than buying healing potions and they contribute to the goal of finishing faster :D I usually do Normal/Hard (premium player) and even on Elite (for favor) I can use the same strategies except on WW/Ironstone Inlet(sp?)

Level 1:

Expeditious Retreat
Master's Touch
Burning Hands

I just swing a big stick and conserve SP's. Once I get sufficiently surrounded I use a maximized burning hands.
*If RP, drop ER for Niac's and Master's for Charm.

Level 2

Above +
Niac's

Same strategy as above but now I have range DPS.
*If RP, Slot Shield for +4 AC and immunity to MM as you will already have Niac's slotted. And the saves from Nightshield can be slotted with gear at this level.

Level 3

Above +
Second level spells
Scorch
Web/Scorching Ray/Invisibility

Web and Scorching Ray I switch between. But I am liking Web more and more and I don't switch out as often.
Web + Door way = lots of things lined up for you to swing at without fear of damage. If there are casters, you have Niac's (Unless its an undead/skeleton heavy adventure in which case you want to switch out your spells anyways because Niac's is worthless)

Level 4

Same as above +
Web (now permanent)

Above

The one thing I like about Wizards is that they have plenty of versatility at lower/mid levels. This set-up just works best for my play style. I have done the RP thing, it was fun, but I found myself bored half way through the adventure. In groups (thanks to dungeon scaling), I tend to use Web, Niac's, and Scorching Ray (Long range DPS) and hang out in the rear so I don't cause an undue burden on the Cleric's SP. If the melee are really good, I'll drop Web for Blur, and try to make myself useful in some other way. Level 5 my spell book goes through a minor revamp and again at level 7 and 8.

EllisDee37
06-20-2013, 01:18 PM
Level 3

Above +
Second level spells
Scorch
Web/Scorching Ray/Invisibility
Invisibility can be scrolled, and the scrolls are sold at vendors and dirt cheap.

Lanhelin
07-04-2013, 06:21 AM
I'm quite impressed by the power of Sonic Blast. Since it's a Level 1 Spell and one can find Items with DC increase for level 1 spells quite early (note: the Apprentice Robe at the end of the grotto in the chest adds +1 DC to spells of all levels, the reason why I weared it until I got the Robe at the end of the Catacombs questline). I took sf:evocation and the storm enhancements too, and there were only a few enemies that are immune to daze like Oozes or Undead so far, but even hostile shamans or clerics that are supposed to have high will saves get dazed very often. And yet I've not met a single one which was immune to sonic damage.

It works similar to Web with a few advantages: It has double range like a ray, it follows running enemies (even if you do not hit the mob directly it gets damaged and dazed on failed will save because of AoE effect; this is also perfect to make hidden enemies appear on e.g. platforms far away), it costs no materials, it does AoE Damage, it destroys entire destructable barricades/blocked doorways/crates in its range, it has a low cooldown and low mana cost (4 Pt.), the dazing effect works like an interrupt and in best case a group of mobs can remain dazed until they die at range, never getting into melee range to the wiz. It can easily be combined with other AoE spells like Fireball or Touch of Idiocy against single targets.

At least at early levels this spell is one of the most powerful a sorc/wiz/bard can cast imo. I'd never slot MM or Niacs instead. Yet I don't have the experience to tell about its effectivity as heightened spell in higher levels, but I'll definitely try.

FuzzyDuck81
07-12-2013, 10:35 AM
..... Yet I don't have the experience to tell about its effectivity as heightened spell in higher levels, but I'll definitely try.

The extra cost for heightening makes it terribly inefficient so higher level spells will be better by then - your best bet is just to use it completely un-meta'ed, it still sticks from time to time & as you noticed, very few things are actually immune to sonic damage (and the save is ONLY for the daze, no reflex for half damage so it's not subject to evasion!) so though its low damage, its at least reliable. Great for spotting invisible things too, use it as a literal sonar "ping" to find things :)

Inoukchuk
07-15-2013, 10:07 AM
The extra cost for heightening makes it terribly inefficient so higher level spells will be better by then - your best bet is just to use it completely un-meta'ed, it still sticks from time to time & as you noticed, very few things are actually immune to sonic damage (and the save is ONLY for the daze, no reflex for half damage so it's not subject to evasion!) so though its low damage, its at least reliable. Great for spotting invisible things too, use it as a literal sonar "ping" to find things :)

I'm shocked nobody has mentioned mesmerize. There are some early quests where crowd control becomes important (protection quests), and grouping them up then hitting with acid spray (better than fire since it affects almost all oozes and undead) works very nicely. Those 2 spells were a staple for me. With an invulnerability item and good maneuvering you can kill a lot of stuff for cheap with acid spray.

Plantman81
07-18-2013, 11:08 PM
This is what I found

1st Level

2nd Level
4. Shield/Night Shield <- avoiding Magic Missile damage is a good thing

- If the wizard has access to 1st Level spell augmentation MM will have more damage but not the bonus stun which also increase damage
- Naic's is good, but not against high reflex mobs. A rookie mistake is attempting to Maximize spam this spell against high reflex mobs, doing almost no damage and draining you fast of SP.

I highly agree. Master's Touch and Shield for early levels work well. A THW like the Nicked Great Sword from the Sharn chain is awesome, for example. As far as Exp Retreat goes, there ARE many clickies available at low level that have multiple charges/rest. My lvl 1 wizzie spells are Sonic Blast and the two above mentioned spells. Sonic for initial damage and stun. Go beat on one w/ your big stick and move to the next. Repeat Sonic if the stun wears off.

Lanhelin
07-19-2013, 09:17 PM
The extra cost for heightening makes it terribly inefficient so higher level spells will be better by then - your best bet is just to use it completely un-meta'ed

Yes, I' can confirm it now. Tried to heighten it but there was no difference to the unheightened version. It blows up and dazes all in its reach. It's simply amazing. It's the swiss knife of the Wizard^^

Lanhelin
12-31-2013, 08:10 AM
Necroing this thread because since a few days I use two spells I completely ignored before, never used them in my first life and now in the second life at Level 19 for the first time but I'm quite impressed: T5 Prismatic Ray and T7 Prismatic Spray. Yesterday I did the Overgrowth quest solo on hard where one has to defeat a Dryad and a Dryad Tree at the end. Both are considered Boss monsters, so they should be immune to death effects, but fortunately they are not immune to being banned to another plane which is not exactly a death effect but the result is the same. The tree had nearly full HP when my Combat Log said: "You hit Dryad Tree with Violet Prismatic Beam. You killed Dryad Tree." The same happened when I beamed the rare Beholder in the Orchard away.

For my actual build which is focused on Enchantment these two Evocation spells are a real boon. Though which of the seven beams hits a mob is by chance but everything in DDO is a lucky dice roll so it's nothing uncommon. The CD of the ray is even quickened a bit long, so one cannot spam it but has to cast one or two fillers, but the possible results are worth it. And the best thing: the violet beam effect doesn't have the restriction as banishing weapons have (if more than 1k HP only 100 dmg). Second best thing: it's not for Monks ;)

Lionoress
01-12-2014, 03:32 AM
I think a lot of what you choose is going to depend upon your playstyle. I tend to play ranged DPS characters in MMOs, and DDO is no exception. My characters tend to be the glass cannon archetypes, and squishy, so I use tactics and focus on long-distance kills versus melee kills to avoid death. Way back in the day with some of the first MUDs I played, death caused all kinds of negative side effects and item loss, and I still don't like the whole "zerg it and keep reviving until you do enough damage to kill it" mentality. I also believe in protection, protection, protection. I have one wizard who's going up the Pale Master rung, and I do wish I could do that for this wizard, but this character simply would not be one.

I'm lucky in that I usually run with my husband, who prefers melee characters, so he's usually my front line. I realize that's a luxury not everyone has, but it ends up shaping what spells I take -- I tend to be a bit more party-oriented with my spells, and I usually pick ones which coordinate with whatever abilities his character has. Right now, he's running a paladin along with my wizard, and it's working out pretty well.

So, keep in mind that when I'm picking spells, I'm thinking duo, utility and range. I haven't specialized, although I do have a couple of items I can swap to if I know I'm fighting a lot of enemies which are particularly sensitive to one type of elemental attack or the other.

At level 15, this is what I'm using right now, tweaks listed after.

Level 1: Detect Secret Doors, Expeditious Retreat, Jump, Nightshield, Magic Missile.
*Note: I took Abjuration for my specialty, so I have Shield as a spell-like power for lower SP cost and no memorization slot required. At lower levels, I took Niac's Cold Ray, but I've got more reliable cold rays now.

*I know a lot of people have expressed dislike of MM, and I agree, the damage isn't that great. However, it's got two things going for it: one, it's a force based spell, and there's a few critters which are sensitive. Mostly, though, it's great on 3D maps. It doesn't do a great deal of damage, but it doesn't use a lot of spell points, either, and it doesn't miss. If you've got a guy who's partially around a corner, you may not be able to hit him with a ray, but MM will usually work and you can whittle him down. I've also noticed that several acid and lightning creatures (like the wisps in the Red Fens) are particularly susceptible to force spells, and Disintegrate, as much as I love it, doesn't seem to affect them that way.

Level 2: Invisibility, Blur, False Life, Knock and Scorching Ray.

*Invisibility is a situational one I have up at the moment, but that spell slot varies frequently. I will frequently trade out with Scorch if we're fighting a lot of undead. Since the spells to boost stats are situational (and since by now, we mostly have things which are higher than the boost the spell gives) I just carry wands with Owl's Wisdom, Eagle's Splendor, Bear's Endurance, Bull's Strength, Fox's Cunning and Cat's Grace. Why wands instead of potions? Because I've got them on a separate hot bar and if the better half needs a fast boost mid-battle, I can grab the wand and cast it on him rather than having to trade a potion.

*I've got a staff which can do Gust of Wind, or else I might carry that a bit more often than I do.

Level 3: FIREBALL, Lightning Bolt, Acid Blast, Haste, Frost Lance.
* I have Protection from Energy as a spell-like Abjuration ability, which is why I don't use a spell slot on it; I just have the different types hot barred. I've tried Displacement and was seriously disappointed for the SP vs. protection effects and length of time. I was seriously disappointed in Sleet Storm - I love spells which allow you to do some good crowd control, and having enemies slipping, sliding and falling is great for that...but can someone tell me why Grease and Sleet Storm affect you and your party!? How borked!
* I used to have heroism in there, but I've got Greater Heroism now.

Level 4: Stoneskin, Dimension Door (get out of jail free card!), Wall of Fire and either Death Aura or Negative Energy Burst (for melee crowd control) are the usual go-tos. The last slot usually gets taken by Force Missiles (for the same reason I have MM) but I've played around with some other options.
* I have Stoneskin as a spell-like Abjuration ability for 10 points instead of 25, but it's slow to recharge, and sometimes that Stoneskin gets knocked off fast, so I still keep the spell slot for backup, at least for now.
* I used to run Remove Curse, but I just use Break Enchantment now, since it's more multipurpose.

Level 5: Ball Lightning, Break Enchantment, Dismissal, Cone of Cold and Teleport, the last of which I would never be caught dead without because I am one lazy wizard player.
*I have Protection from Elements as a spell-like Abjuration ability, again, each hot-barred in case one element of the Mass Protection gets knocked down. It's a spell point saver.

Level 6: Disintegrate, Otiluke's Freezing Sphere, Necrotic Ray, Greater Heroism.
* I can't wait to get another slot at this level so I can get Chain Lightning back...I just recently disovered Necrotic Ray, and it's a good Necro balance for my arsenal, but I do love me some chain lightning.

Level 7: Banishment, Mass Protection from Elements, Summon Monster VII.
* I'd try Finger of Death, but I'm figuring most enemies at our level have deathblock protection, and for 40 SP...hmm. Not worth the cost unless it's a guaranteed killshot.

Level 8: Black Dragon Bolt and Polar Ray, but I can definitely see swapping in Horrid Wilting on a situational basis. I have Greater Shout in the wings, also, but I have not really cared much for sonic spells as a whole.

The more I read, the more I see people specialize in a particular element, and I'll assume it works for them. I'm most comfortable so far with a utility infielder type of wizard. I try to keep a variety up and pay attention to what seems to affect a particular target the most. For example, I'd rather have some fairly strong cold spells on hand to use against fire creatures rather than be an exceptionally strong Fire caster...and have my best weapons be useless against certain targets. My tactics may change at the epic levels, but so far, this seems to be working well enough.

My (devalued) two cents, at least at this level...

~Elizabeth

P.S. Thanks for the tip on prismatic spray. I didn't have much luck with it at lower levels, but I was looking at the ray the other day and wondering if the high power version would be good. Will definitely scrounge up a scroll and give it a go!

Lionoress
01-12-2014, 03:38 AM
(Blasted not-working edit button!)

I just saw that you said the Prismatic spells worked on beholders. THANK YOU for the tip! I am making sure I have those available RIGHT NOW. Hate, hate, hate, hate, hate beholders...

EllisDee37
01-12-2014, 06:10 AM
* I'd try Finger of Death, but I'm figuring most enemies at our level have deathblock protection, and for 40 SP...hmm. Not worth the cost unless it's a guaranteed killshot.They generally do not, and it's a guaranteed kill shot on the mobs you most want to kill quickly: casters.

The more I read, the more I see people specialize in a particular element, and I'll assume it works for them.That may be from before the enhancement pass, when you had to spend AP on each different element instead of it all being universal like it is now.

No dots? (Niac's and Eladar's)

A note on beholders: Your ray spells have a longer range than the beholder anti-magic cone. As long as your draw distance is set high enough you can ray beholders to death with impunity. (Necrotic ray is particularly effective against them with their terrible fort saves.)

Draeqo
01-17-2014, 06:59 AM
I'm quite impressed by the power of Sonic Blast.
At least at early levels this spell is one of the most powerful a sorc/wiz/bard can cast imo. I'd never slot MM or Niacs instead. Yet I don't have the experience to tell about its effectivity as heightened spell in higher levels, but I'll definitely try.

Spells to slot:

Level 1: Sonic Blast
Level 20: Sonic Blast (Heightened)

This happens to be one of the ways to successfully CC high SR highly resistant Epic Drow in E*... :cool:
At least it works for full Sorcs & Wizzies.
Electric Loop is also nice but has two saves (Reflex then Will) to overcome so it usefullness drops off quicker.

Sonic Blast is also the best way to handle archers and casters who are partially hidden & high up ranging you.
And you can blast barrels :).

During leveling you do not need to use Heighten, unless your DC's are bad (really bad).
But by level 18/20 you may really want to check how many monsters are really still dazed at all.

Of course it may be better to let items do the heightening than paying SP for it via the Heighten feat.
A full L20 sorcerer may only need to equip something like Twilight, Element of Magic (http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Twilight,_Element_of_Magic) and still succesfully use Sonic Blast without any meta's (or just meta's for the damage).
Of course that staff only raises the level by 2, so at higher difficulties than EN you will still need to switch on Heighten; obviously that depends a lot on the mobs, you would be surprised how many very though critters have only so-so Will saves.

Theolin
01-17-2014, 09:21 AM
I do not understand why one would memorize spells that can be scrolled and work just as well even if the duration is a bit shorter, between shrines is just not that long.
Those in question are:

Expeditious Retreat - wear an item / Haste is more run speed - or use a scroll
Invisibility - scrolls are plenty long enough
Stone skin - wand - you still get 70 out of it & it is cheaper than the spell components
Break Enchantment - scroll are usually good enough & the mobs Caster Level is ridiculous compared to ours
Teleport - scroll it .....
Greater Heroism - 12 minutes is enough & if you do get debuffed recasting isn't that big a deal
Summon Monster - scroll it ......
Mass Prot Elements - this one is a toss up depending on the quest, but is 120 from a scroll enough or do you need more from your level (at 15 its only 30 more)
fire shield - not much in duration difference to matter
enervation - scrol

SirValentine
01-18-2014, 05:06 AM
Spells to slot:

Level 1: Sonic Blast
Level 20: Sonic Blast (Heightened)

Sonic Blast is also the best way to handle archers and casters who are partially hidden & high up ranging you.
And you can blast barrels :).

I'd change that to:

Sonic Blast is the best way to handle breakables. And you can also blast mobs.

I'm annoyed that Sound Burst doesn't break breakables, too.

Todkaninchen
01-18-2014, 02:47 PM
Sonic blast is the best barrel-breaker in the entire game. It's so good that all my umd alts carry a stack of 100 sonic blast scrolls. I can't imagine not slotting it on a wizard. (Set to never use any metas, of course.)

Why would you do that?

Let me save you some encumbrance and point out:

http://ddowiki.com/page/Dampened_Cacophonic_Verge

An eternal Sonic Blast wand...

It's BTA, the upgraded version (need a Golden Pearl) is BTCoA, so you can farm it on a high level alt if you have account bank.

You can find it in that giant skeleton's chest in heroic Red Fen's Claw of Vulkoor...

Todkaninchen
01-18-2014, 02:56 PM
Web is useful at level 4.

Heightened web is usually useful all the way up, especially in combo with a non-fire damage AOE. (Fire burns the web away).

Works especially well--as I'm sure someone's pointed out--on most non-incorporeal undead for crowd control and many things you can't get to dance.

Tactically, use it on doorways the enemy has to go through to set up any expensive AOE's or insta-kill spells later.

EllisDee37
01-18-2014, 05:08 PM
Why would you do that?

Let me save you some encumbrance and point out:

http://ddowiki.com/page/Dampened_Cacophonic_Verge

An eternal Sonic Blast wand...

It's BTA, the upgraded version (need a Golden Pearl) is BTCoA, so you can farm it on a high level alt if you have account bank.

You can find it in that giant skeleton's chest in heroic Red Fen's Claw of Vulkoor...That's the greatest thing ever; time to start farming! Being a wand it also doesn't suffer ASF checks like scrolls do, right? ASF is problematic for both my cleric and my fighter.

Heightened web is usually useful all the way up, especially in combo with a non-fire damage AOE. (Fire burns the web away).

Works especially well--as I'm sure someone's pointed out--on most non-incorporeal undead for crowd control and many things you can't get to dance.

Tactically, use it on doorways the enemy has to go through to set up any expensive AOE's or insta-kill spells later.I've always found webs to be super fragile. Sure, I'll stay away from explosive aoe fire spells but enemy mobs sure do seem to love them. As a general rule I view webs as pointless in any content with enemy clerics.

rayworks
01-18-2014, 05:18 PM

Firewall doesn't burn your webs. Lay both down and kite mobs all day long.

Theolin
01-18-2014, 06:46 PM
Web is useful at level 4.

Web is useful in EE content if you have spec'd it enough (you can stick around 75% of mobs) or EH if you have not

Heightened, PL wiz, Conj focus, Cleric PLs, twist, ..... you can get the DC quite high & there is no spel pen check :)

Other good CC spells: gShout, sonic blast, elec loop - I just heighten them so they have the CC effect with minimal damage (3 sorc lives help with these)

Even more if you have counter spells going (FOM)
Grease & sleet storm

Then the 2 hypno's are good, well if you can stand the horrible green/pink sphere on the one

All of course need to be heightened (need good/great DCs) to actually work, that is just the way it is, though some can be used as a debuff for some other spells then of course you would not waste the spell points

Todkaninchen
01-19-2014, 01:49 AM
That's the greatest thing ever; time to start farming! Being a wand it also doesn't suffer ASF checks like scrolls do, right? ASF is problematic for both my cleric and my fighter.

I've always found webs to be super fragile. Sure, I'll stay away from explosive aoe fire spells but enemy mobs sure do seem to love them. As a general rule I view webs as pointless in any content with enemy clerics.

I use verges on every character I have that either has UMD or an arcane level. So far, I haven't had failures from ASF, but--to be honest--most of my artis only wear light or medium (mithral or dragon scale) armor and I don't generally have anyone in heavy armor to verify.

On the Web, I try to nail enemy healers first with as far a ranged spell/SLA/whatever I can first, then lay into the rest.

Although, if they're caught in web, they aren't usually casting...

Todkaninchen
01-19-2014, 01:54 AM
Web is useful in EE content if you have spec'd it enough (you can stick around 75% of mobs) or EH if you have not

Heightened, PL wiz, Conj focus, Cleric PLs, twist, ..... you can get the DC quite high & there is no spel pen check :)

Other good CC spells: gShout, sonic blast, elec loop - I just heighten them so they have the CC effect with minimal damage (3 sorc lives help with these)

Even more if you have counter spells going (FOM)
Grease & sleet storm

Then the 2 hypno's are good, well if you can stand the horrible green/pink sphere on the one

All of course need to be heightened (need good/great DCs) to actually work, that is just the way it is, though some can be used as a debuff for some other spells then of course you would not waste the spell points

Last wizard I ran to epic, I would almost always spam a non-meta'd Hypnosis before popping a charm or any other will-save. Even if it fails, it drops the enemy will save a couple points. That and a full (first life) enchantment/spell penetration build (actually, necro/enchant/spell pen) and I could tag--at the very least--enemy arcanes and rogue-ish types. Usually could charm/dance/etc. most melees. Only the enemy divines were often iffy...

...but, if you land a mass charm monster and the only uncharmed are the clerics...

Draeqo
01-19-2014, 04:54 AM
Yes, I' can confirm it now. Tried to heighten it but there was no difference to the unheightened version. It blows up and dazes all in its reach. It's simply amazing. It's the swiss knife of the Wizard^^

That may be a (display only?) bug when using Heighten set on that spell alone for the first time (after login).
When you switch on Heighten for all spells than the Will save is correctly adjusted.
When you then switch off the Heighten toggle (the Heighten for all spells) and THEN switch it on for that spell alone the will save numbers are increased correctly.

Sonic Blast Will Save (Wizard with INT 32, Mod +11 but multiclassed so at that time could only cast L4 spells max)
DC base: 25
DC when Heighten switched on for that spell alone: 25 (?? bug )
DC when Heighten switched on for all spells: 28
DC when Heighten switched on for that spell alone, after Heighten spells toggle (for all spells) has been switched on & then off again: 28

Of course the extra cost is pretty high, +5 SP for each level, so if you can can L9 spells then heightening this spell will be done for 8 levels (and cost 40 SP extra...).
Using an item with Arcane Augmentation (rare) is much cheaper (SP cost stays at just 4) and can give just enough boost at times, even in Epics.
For example a L23 Sorcerer (CHA 42 unbuffed, mod +16)
Sonic Blast DC (Will) - without Twilight: 33
Sonic Blast DC (Will) - with Twilight: 36 (I had expected this to be 35, as regulare Arcane Augmentation should only increase it +2)

Even so you may still want to use Heighten at higher levels, because even at a cost of 44 SP it can really be worth it for CC (especially when the monsters in question have high SR).

Lanhelin
01-19-2014, 06:05 AM
That may be a (display only?) bug when using Heighten set on that spell alone for the first time (after login).

No, it was meant regarding its effectiveness. In the first life I only used SB against Animals and they started to save more often against the daze effect of the unmeta'ed Sonic Blast on epic High Road and above. So until then it's not necessary to heighten SB.

Ancient
01-19-2014, 09:21 AM
There are tons of good low level arcane spells. Rather than debate the merits of each one, I think it is best to find a set that works well together.

Long long ago, before I had any spell power gear or mana items or had a crafter. It made more sense to melee.

When I got the ability to craft/find spell caster gear, then I used to play bolt style with niacs, scorching ray at low levels and switch to scorching ray/frost bolt/lightning bolt at slightly higher levels. This is nice because single target damage doesn't pull too much agro and what you do pull usually dies quick.

Once I got better gear, could afford pots and thus could handle the agro. I switched to a more AE approach with burning hands, acid splash, sorch. This is generally what I play today at low levels. Either fire or acid works on just about anything and being able to have the specific lore/spell power gear helps do more damage. Don't skip the MM SLA, it allows metas for free.

As soon as I get the chain missile SLA, I generally switch over to fire/force and run with that till... forever :)

One good spell I haven't seen mentioned is jump. The scroll won't apply as big a bonus, and jump is both movement and damage mitigation.

Todkaninchen
01-19-2014, 04:32 PM
There are tons of good low level arcane spells. Rather than debate the merits of each one, I think it is best to find a set that works well together.

Definitely true there.

Got a hankering to play caster again after TRing my wizard to a henshin and got a new slot. Started an Eldritch Knight/Conjuration Archmage.

3SP heightened Webs and glitterdust plus cleave and the EK cleave is awesome. Web catches most things, Glitterdust (for the blind effect) if there's a lot of them and you can clear out a lot of things fast.

On the other wizard (necro AM/enchant secondary but enough pale master for the skeleton), I liked training circle of death/finger of death/horrid wilting or hypno (drop the will saves)/mass charm monster or disco ball together at higher levels because they took advantage of my spell penetration feats + gear/heighten/necro + enchant focuses to get good DC effects. Nuking things was so-so, most of the time, but I wasn't a sorc spamming...

Another thing that worked well in combos was a single charm monster (at range, before the party aggroed everything) followed by a circle of death centered on the charmed enemy. Basically, the charmed enemy grabs aggro, they mob him in a nice, tight group, maximizing the effect of the AOE follow up.

Another combo I used on undead, a lot, even though it was expensive was command undead then sunburst (same plan as charm monster + circle of death) or heightened web then sunburst at doorways or choke points. Again, it was about getting them lumped up together in the AOE's range.

LiquidZombie
01-21-2014, 05:23 AM
I'm lucky in that I usually run with my husband, who prefers melee characters, so he's usually my front line. I realize that's a luxury not everyone has

Everyone does in fact have that luxury, in the form of melee hirelings, although you have to be prepared to deal with their brain-dead AI (mainly in the form of standing in lava until you tell them to move, and standing five meters away from you doing absolutely nothing while you are taking on 10 mobs single-handedly). Make sure you choose a Warforged so you can heal them (wands or Reconstruct scrolls work fine).

Using melees as a front-line does seem to become more important in the later game too, since mobs' hitpoints scale WAY faster than the damage of your spells, and trying to take everything down with expensive insta-kills or maximised damage spells will drain your SP extremely quickly.

*Invisibility is a situational one I have up at the moment, but that spell slot varies frequently.

Slotting Invisibility is a waste of a slot and SP, since the scrolls are cheap and last quite long enough (invisibility is almost always broken by damage or action before its timer would run out).

Death Aura or Negative Energy Burst (for melee crowd control) are the usual go-tos.

Death Aura is great, but I don't recommend NEB unless you are a Pale master (in which case it is a healing spell). NEB does a pathetically small amount of damage for its SP cost; even the regular Fireball for 15 SP will do more damage in most cases. I would choose Acid Rain instead, which does an incredible amount of damage per SP at that level provided you can handle waiting 8 seconds.

* I'd try Finger of Death, but I'm figuring most enemies at our level have deathblock protection, and for 40 SP...hmm. Not worth the cost unless it's a guaranteed killshot.

Someone else pointed out that very few enemies have Deathblock, and FoD will work on most orange-named (although not red-named). Bear in mind also that a FAILED FoD does the same damage as a SUCCESSFUL Disintegrate (assuming no spell resistance), except of course on undead.

Ayrleig
01-17-2018, 12:43 PM
I think it's intriguing for a sneaker, especially an assassin that doesn't like poison, or a Eldrich Knight focused on melee classes, or Knife Fighter, or Bard Swashbuckler, etc....

...to splash 1 level Wizard and pick up Expeditious Retreat and Magic Missile. That way you can play as long as you want in *fleet-of-foot mode*. Expeditious retreat is about a lot more than retreat.