PDA

View Full Version : Best Epic Destiny for a Cleric???

GDMcCabe
05-28-2013, 12:09 AM
Just hit Level 20 as a Cleric & trying to decide on an Epic Destiny.

I'm attracted to Unyielding Sentinel (not sure I remember the name right) or Exalted Angel.

Advice?

--Priss

Brunhildha
05-28-2013, 06:50 AM
Just hit Level 20 as a Cleric & trying to decide on an Epic Destiny.

I'm attracted to Unyielding Sentinel (not sure I remember the name right) or Exalted Angel.

Advice?

--Priss

1). E.D.s are not irrevocable. You can train more than one and swap at a fate spinner. Later on it is a standard decision to make before any particular quest - which E.D. do I want to be in?

2). But you can only start in an E.D. in your home circle. Look at the "tree" view. Unyielding Sentinel or Exalted Angel are your only choice to START with.

3). Clerics and FVS got the short end of the stick for choice. Any other class gets three E.D.s in their home circle, but initially clerics can only choose between those two, and then have to wade through "Flowers" (which is hard work with no monk levels) before getting access to anything else.

4). Of those two, Unyielding Sentinel is mostly melee and defensive (you can pretend to be a tanking Paladin) while Exalted Angel is mostly caster and offensive (think caster based FVS). Pick which ever style you find more fun.

5). Both allow excellent healing at low SP cost, using either Renewal or Healing Hands for single healing, although only E.A. has Divine Wrath (cheap mass heals + boss damage).

6). Fate points and "Twists" are a way of keeping a single ability (or later two or three) from an E.D. that you are not currently in. Don't worry for now, but find out about these later.

7). Oddly, take the one you like less first. This means that you will be levelling your less useful E.D. during the easier lower level 20 - 25 quests, and working on your preferred E.D. in the higher level quests.

It's a whole new ball game. Have fun with it!

Brun

Dexraven
05-28-2013, 07:02 AM
Exalted Angel is the destiny designed mostly for clerics, but you will eventually level them all up.

As for which will be best for you, that depends on your play style, try them all out and pick what feels the most fun.

Veles
05-28-2013, 08:46 AM
For casting cleric, exalted with 3+2 evo twists, brace for impact/magister dodge/cocoon as last one ?
Renewal is amazing, so is rebuke. Too bad you have to sacrifice wisdom if you want divine wrath which is not as fast recharging as with fvs archon.

Melee, fury or dread with appropriate twists, renewal again, brace for impact,more defenses/tactics/boosts, whatever suits your toon/gameplay best.
As been said, level up as many and just try everything :)
Sentinel is terrible, you ever been in 2 hour citw when all melees were levelling or at various levels in sentinel ?

Enoach
05-28-2013, 09:49 AM
Unyielding Sentinel has synergy with Cleric's abilities and can speed up your Turn Undead regeneration rate giving you a nearly endless supply of bursts and other Turn Based abilities.

The stances are beneficial in increasing your combat prowess.

Exalted Angel has benefits towards your Healing and Light Powers and the Angelic Forms can also increase your melee capabilities.

However, I recommend taking Unyielding Sentinel first and leveling it to 4. This will open the bridge to the Melee Sphere which currently is the Gateway to all of the other spheres.

As a divine character and depending on your build you will find very interesting mixes and abilities with every ED. Divines with monk splash in particular do well with GMoF, while offensive melee types find LD and FoTW abilities extremely satisfying. For the Caster types DI, Magistar and Primal Avatar have some very interesting abilities that increase your spell power, pool and DCs.

Fatesinger also has some fun abilities especially for those that enjoy a more generalist view between buffing, melee and healing roles.

guardianx2009
05-28-2013, 12:46 PM
Having all EDs maxed out and did a lot of testing with various EDs. Having also solo'ed EEs with my cleric (https[/COLOR]//www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/416444-EE-Solo-s-Pure-Cleric), here's my response:

Exalted Angel
Overall this is the most ideal for most generic caster clerics. Most notably, you gain SP, renewal and great mobility in wings.

Unyielding Sentinel
This ED is good for tank-ish/survivability mode, as with this destiny you can push your HP to the max. Otherwise, not that great, IMO

Fury Of the Wild
This a very, very good ED. The best overall for advanced clerics that can melee/cast/heal, or if your cleric any good at melee.

Legendary Dreadnaught
Good if you're a melee-based cleric and invested heavily in THF, Cleave, Power attack, etc feats.

Primal Avatar
Has a lot of synergy and a few fun tricks. Unfortunately most the abilities aren't SP efficient. Cocoon is fantastic. Tree-twitch mode makes it very strong, unfortunately it is considered a bug.

Grandmaster of Flowers
This ED allows you to use handwraps even if you have no monk levels. If you have monk levels, or TWF feats, you can take advantage of this ED. Ideal for clonks.

SirValentine
05-29-2013, 06:23 AM
For caster Clerics, there is only one destiny that gives caster levels and Wisdom: Exalted Angel.

For melee Clerics, any of the melee destinies are possible options.

Someone else already mentioned the synergy with Grandmaster for clonks.

For nukers, you could go Shiradi, maybe twist in Energy Burst or something. I haven't used this much yet, but plan to play with it a bit more.

Unyielding is great for survival. A bunch of HP, and immunity to knockdown? Awesome.

Personally, I run in Exalted (with DC-upping twists) for general questing, and switch to Unyielding (with survivalist twists) for hjeal-botting EE raids, etc..

SirValentine
05-29-2013, 06:29 AM
For casting cleric, exalted with 3+2 evo twists, brace for impact/magister dodge/cocoon as last one ?

I went with Acute Instincts for another +1 to all DCs.

Too bad you have to sacrifice wisdom if you want divine wrath

You do? I currently have all 6 Wisdom increases and Divine Wrath.

Veles
05-29-2013, 06:54 AM
I went with Acute Instincts for another +1 to all DCs.
We all know how DC are at bad point now. What is yours, 55 -57 ? But if you think about it, assuming you took all feats and no spell pen ones ( you have spell pen from PLives ), the content where that 1DC will make a difference is also where sub 30 reflex, no except fort will kill you. Then you have to slot both more resistance, fort somewhere in gear.

You do? I currently have all 6 Wisdom increases and Divine Wrath.
My bad, I was assuming every divine would take renewal :) I use it all the time, literally every cooldown. You can keep blitzing smart playing human/helf with decent prr and decent defenses/displace alive with renewal only.
It's so good.
You either don't have it, or didn't take spellpower+echoes stuff.
Rebuke is must have, avenging light is not bad as something to spam when you have spare second.

SirValentine
05-29-2013, 07:49 AM
55 -57

Y, 57 unless I have a Bard help push me up to 59. Still need to get 2 more Sorc lives at some point, though.

the content where that 1DC will make a difference is also where sub 30 reflex, no except fort will kill you. Then you have to slot both more resistance, fort somewhere in gear.

Haven't really had a problem with my reflex save killing me. And have Exceptional Fortification and some Resistance slotted anyway.

My bad, I was assuming every divine would take renewal :) I use it all the time, literally every cooldown.

I have all 3 tiers of Renewal.

You either don't have it, or didn't take spellpower+echoes stuff.

Ah, I see. No, I don't have much of that stuff. Just enough to unlock the higher tiers.

ThePrincipal
05-29-2013, 01:19 PM
Angel is great fun. Use the wings and the rechargeable smite. However, my home is Unyielding Sentinel. It's like being a Paladin that is welcomed in groups ; )

GDMcCabe
06-02-2013, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the info.

I have a couple questions, re: your post.

1. I have Radiant Servant II & Renewal seems a lot like Positive Energy Aura. Should I still get it?
2. Also, I couldn't find any reference to "Wings". Is this slang for one of the Exalted Angel choices?
3. Finally, some of the final options talk about needing to have Endless Ardor or Righteous Fury stacked to a 10. I don't understand what that means.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

FuzzyDuck81
06-03-2013, 02:52 AM
Thanks for the info.

1. I have Radiant Servant II & Renewal seems a lot like Positive Energy Aura. Should I still get it?
2. Also, I couldn't find any reference to "Wings". Is this slang for one of the Exalted Angel choices?
3. Finally, some of the final options talk about needing to have Endless Ardor or Righteous Fury stacked to a 10. I don't understand what that means.

1 - Renewal is a single-target heal over time spell, its definitely worth picking up & maxing out - you'll be able to do a LOT of healing though this low-cost ability. Once you have enough fate points it can be twisted & used while in a different destiny, but then it will be good for helping others only. To have it work on yourself, you need to be in the EA destiny.
2- "wings" is actually the leap of faith ability, giving you the leap ability like favoured souls, monks & air savant sorcerers, its an auto-granted ability when you hit exalted angel 3. This ability is addictive.
3 - Ardor & Fervor are counters that build up as you cast certain spells... Ardor boosts positive energy BUT is charged up using light/alignment spells (therefore is very easy to build up on a favoured soul as the archon's pewpews will count) & Righteous Fervor boosts light/alignment spells, BUT is charged up using positive energy (ie healing) spells. The counters of these max out at 10, and decay by 1 every few seconds.

moops
06-03-2013, 05:18 AM
My Necro Cleric is currently only running in Shiradi ( for 3 months I have not switch destiny) with Energy Burst from Draconic for most content, the harder EEs I used Sense Weakness instead of Energy burst. I twist in Avenging Light, and The spell point one from Exalted that I'm blanking on.

Before the insane DCs of Gianthold I was running in Magister or Draconic depending on quest. For a couple things, I twist in Brace for Impact...like EE DQ with a questionable pug:)

Alot will depend on your playstyle and who you play with...For instance, I don't need any extra healing stuff, and don't carry RS, but I have many sp clickies, and run with very good people who I can just use scrolls on for the most part, and use my SP for fun:)

Destinies are really fun to play with, even if you take the short route of farming XP in Rusted Blades, I suggest that you go out and play with them all a bit...most of them have something that you will want to situationally twist at some point.

Rubbinns
06-03-2013, 05:18 AM
Thanks for the info.

Depends on what you focus your character on, but EA is fine if youre not sure.

Divine Wrath or Strike Down can be charged easily with either the Avenging Light SLA or the Renewal ability. Just spam either, though Renewal spam is faster.

Endless Ardor is good if youre going as a raid healer. Or spamming Smite/Punishment.

Rebuke Foe has got to be one of my favorite things to spam, I'm Necro specc'ed and Rebuke gives me a solid way to make red names hurt. Ascendance + Positive Aura + Astral Vibrance + Positive Bursts is my standard heal combo for boss fights.