PDA

View Full Version : Returning newbie

hamsik
05-25-2013, 10:11 AM
Hello

I played for a few months about 2 years back but i'm still very much a newbie

I've been away from mmos for a while but have recently levelled a couple of characters to 60 in NWO
Since there is little end game there at the moment it made me want to go back to DDO

So my questions are

1. How is the Ghallanda server doing?
That's where all my characters are

2. My highest level is a 7 bard but she was made following a build i found on the forums but have long since forgotten
Would i be better served by starting over?

3. If i'm starting over what class and build would be best suited for a beginner?
Ideally i'd like to solo a lot until i get my bearings and find a nice guild

4. How is the game doing in general?

Cheers

Stoner81
05-25-2013, 10:43 AM
1. How is the Ghallanda server doing?
That's where all my characters are

Never played on it so can't comment on that.

2. My highest level is a 7 bard but she was made following a build i found on the forums but have long since forgotten
Would i be better served by starting over?

If you have not played in over 2 years then yes I would say so, the game has changed massively and that's just in the 12 months that I have been playing!

3. If i'm starting over what class and build would be best suited for a beginner?
Ideally i'd like to solo a lot until i get my bearings and find a nice guild.

This really depends on what you have access to, I would say a Dwarf Cleric with 2 Fighter levels or Dwarf Cleric with 1 Fighter and 1 Wizard. The first option grants extra feat/s proficiency with Dwarf Axe for free too and a higher BAB (I think), the second option you got all that maybe not as many feats but you gain a metamagic feat for free so you could take Empower Heal for awesome self healing. You could of course go pure Cleric :)

Really depends on if you want to play at end game a lot or jump on the TR hamster wheel ;)

4. How is the game doing in general?

Pretty good overall I think, sure there are bugs in the game but that is nothing new and the game is still fun so what's to lose :D

Stoner81.

hamsik
05-25-2013, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the advice

So i've decided to start over

I will sub so not sure if that changes anything regarding the best class to start with?

I'm currently looking through the forum for some nice cleric/fighter builds
I almost always end up playing a healer in other mmos so it sounds perfect!

Stoner81
05-25-2013, 11:00 AM
The main thing to decide early on is if you want to melee or be a offensive caster there is a character planner available here (http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO/) which is very handy for making builds and posting them on the forums so I recommend you have a bit of play with that and see what you come up with. The biggest piece of advice I can say is "build a toon you want to play and have fun with it" this is a game after all and is meant to be fun.

"Best class" is speculative at best since each have their own merits and weaknesses, like I said build something you want to play and have fun doing it ;)

Stoner81.

hamsik
05-25-2013, 11:07 AM
Yea, you're definitely right regarding havin fun:)

What i mean by best class is more in the line of something newbie friendly that i can't mess up too much

Thanks for the planner link though it looks a bit advanced to me. I was checking the cleric forum for a build, did they remove all the old ones when they remade the forum?

Stoner81
05-25-2013, 11:11 AM
Most things should still be there, just a case of digging round, I have never really played a Cleric so can't help you too much on a build for that, hopefully some of the other vets will have a look here and give you some better ideas than what I can do.

In those terms for best class then Cleric you can't go too far wrong, since they have simply awesome healing and can wear heavy armour and shields so lots of protection there, Fighters are good first choices too (that was mine when I started) since they are pretty simple to play for the most part but the self healing can be annoying but can use hirelings for that... when they work lol.

Stoner81.

hamsik
05-25-2013, 11:33 AM
I found the build section, was looking in the cleric section at first:)

Thanks a lot for your help

Stoner81
05-25-2013, 11:35 AM
No worries just happy to help out :)

Stoner81.

AbyssalMage
05-25-2013, 12:37 PM
Yea, you're definitely right regarding havin fun:)

What i mean by best class is more in the line of something newbie friendly that i can't mess up too much

Thanks for the planner link though it looks a bit advanced to me. I was checking the cleric forum for a build, did they remove all the old ones when they remade the forum?
Favored Soul (pure), Druid, or Cleric are all good classes and should fit your play style. FvS and Cleric offer better PL feats if you ever make it to that point/decision.

Druid's are harder to mess up than the other 2 and probably the easiest of the three. 18/2 Druid/Monk Half-Elf with Rogue Dilly would be my suggestion if you are starting off "new."

Str/Dex/Con/Wis - 14/14/14/16 (I think that is a 28 pt. build.) All level ups in Wisdom (Makes Stunning Fist/Spell DC better. Wont really help your DC's in EE content though, but this build isn't designed for that on a first life/28 pt. build). 14 Dex is to give you a decent Evasion DC. Wolf builds are built on Double Attack/haste so STR at 14 is fine.

Feats:
(1)Toughness, (m)PA, (3)Cleave, (6)G. Cleave, (9)Maximize, (m) Stunning Fist, (12) IC: Blunt, (15, 18, 21) Fang x 3, (24) Empower Healing

Feat order can be adjusted for play style. Fang can't be taken before Druid level 9 and IC: Blunt requires BAB +9 (I think) so that is the only considerations you need to make.

If you go human, you can take Empower Healing earlier and have an open level 24 Feat.

This is a standard wolf build. Nothing too special about the build or requiring hard to get gear. Torc (from ADQ raid) would make your life easier but is not necessary. You will play in Wind stance mostly and switch to Water when you need higher DC's.

hamsik
05-25-2013, 02:41 PM
Favored Soul (pure), Druid, or Cleric are all good classes and should fit your play style. FvS and Cleric offer better PL feats if you ever make it to that point/decision.

Druid's are harder to mess up than the other 2 and probably the easiest of the three. 18/2 Druid/Monk Half-Elf with Rogue Dilly would be my suggestion if you are starting off "new."

Str/Dex/Con/Wis - 14/14/14/16 (I think that is a 28 pt. build.) All level ups in Wisdom (Makes Stunning Fist/Spell DC better. Wont really help your DC's in EE content though, but this build isn't designed for that on a first life/28 pt. build). 14 Dex is to give you a decent Evasion DC. Wolf builds are built on Double Attack/haste so STR at 14 is fine.

Feats:
(1)Toughness, (m)PA, (3)Cleave, (6)G. Cleave, (9)Maximize, (m) Stunning Fist, (12) IC: Blunt, (15, 18, 21) Fang x 3, (24) Empower Healing

Feat order can be adjusted for play style. Fang can't be taken before Druid level 9 and IC: Blunt requires BAB +9 (I think) so that is the only considerations you need to make.

If you go human, you can take Empower Healing earlier and have an open level 24 Feat.

This is a standard wolf build. Nothing too special about the build or requiring hard to get gear. Torc (from ADQ raid) would make your life easier but is not necessary. You will play in Wind stance mostly and switch to Water when you need higher DC's.
That sounds intruiging

What about skill points?

Stoner81
05-25-2013, 08:11 PM
10 ranks or so in to Jump bearing in mind the skill caps out at 40, max out UMD if you can though can be hard on a first life. Other ones are Balance and Concentration for getting spells off when being attacked (Quicken helps with this though if you decide to take that). 1 full point in to Tumble is generally recommended to enable the action and leave it at that.

Stoner81.

unbongwah
05-27-2013, 02:51 PM
In terms of simplicity, it's hard to go wrong with a pure barb; the drawback is they're fairly...limited in their repertoire. They're like the heavy-metal guitarist who only know like four chords; but what they lack in variety they make up for in volume. :cool:

However, it's possible to solo any class (w/hireling), so the correct answer is: "The one you like best." Since you mentioned clerics, this is my go-to build for a caster-oriented cleric:

Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 03.16.01
DDO Character Planner Home Page (http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO)

Level 25 True Neutral Human Female
(19 Cleric \ 1 Wizard \ 5 Epic)
Hit Points: 348
Spell Points: 1519
BAB: 14\14\19\24
Fortitude: 14
Reflex: 5
Will: 21

Starting Feat/Enhancement
Abilities Base Stats Modified Stats
(32 Point) (Level 1) (Level 25)
Strength 14 14
Dexterity 8 8
Constitution 16 16
Intelligence 8 8
Wisdom 18 27
Charisma 8 8

Level 1 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Empower Healing Spell
Feat: (Human Bonus) Maximize Spell

Level 2 (Wizard)
Feat: (Wizard Bonus) Empower Spell

Level 3 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Toughness

Level 4 (Cleric)
Ability Raise: WIS

Level 5 (Cleric)

Level 6 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Extra Turning (swap for Spell Penetration before level 18)

Level 7 (Cleric)
Enhancement: Cleric Radiant Servant I
Enhancement: Human Adaptability Wisdom I
Enhancement: Racial Toughness I
Enhancement: Racial Toughness II
Enhancement: Improved Heal I
Enhancement: Improved Heal II
Enhancement: Cleric Prayer of Smiting I
Enhancement: Cleric Prayer of Life I
Enhancement: Cleric Smiting I
Enhancement: Cleric Smiting II
Enhancement: Cleric Life Magic I
Enhancement: Cleric Life Magic II
Enhancement: Cleric Wisdom I
Enhancement: Cleric Divine Vitality I
Enhancement: Cleric Improved Turning I
Enhancement: Cleric Wand and Scroll Mastery I
Enhancement: Cleric Wand and Scroll Mastery II

Level 8 (Cleric)

Level 9 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Quicken Spell

Level 10 (Cleric)

Level 11 (Cleric)

Level 12 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Heighten Spell

Level 13 (Cleric)
Enhancement: Cleric Radiant Servant II
Enhancement: Unyielding Sovereignty
Enhancement: Follower of the Sovereign Host
Enhancement: Cleric Prayer of Incredible Smiting I
Enhancement: Cleric Prayer of Incredible Life I
Enhancement: Flame Manipulation I
Enhancement: Cleric Smiting III
Enhancement: Cleric Life Magic III
Enhancement: Cleric Life Magic IV
Enhancement: Cleric Wisdom II

Level 14 (Cleric)

Level 15 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Spell Focus: Evocation

Level 16 (Cleric)

Level 17 (Cleric)

Level 18 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Greater Spell Penetration

Level 19 (Cleric)

Level 20 (Cleric)
Enhancement: Human Improved Recovery I
Enhancement: Cleric Prayer of Smiting II
Enhancement: Cleric Prayer of Incredible Smiting II
Enhancement: Cleric Smiting IV
Enhancement: Cleric Improved Spell Penetration I
Enhancement: Cleric Improved Spell Penetration II
Enhancement: Cleric Wisdom III
Enhancement: Cleric Wand and Scroll Mastery III
Enhancement: Cleric Wand and Scroll Mastery IV

Level 21 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Epic Spell Penetration

Level 22 (Cleric)

Level 23 (Cleric)

Level 24 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Spell Focus: Necromancy (or Greater Spell Focus: Evocation)

Level 25 (Cleric)

28-pt version: drop CON to 14 or STR to 10
Skills: I would max Concentration and UMD (the latter more for bypassing restrictions on gear than anything else)

The wiz splash adds an extra metamagic, Force I enh (boosts Blade Barrier & Cometfall, IIRC), lvl 1 arcane spells, and access to arcane wands (e.g., Blur, Stoneskin); which more than makes up for losing the capstone & -1 Spell Pen from splashing, IMHO.

At low lvls, she plays like a melee battlecleric; spells are mostly for heals & buffs (2H weapon+Master's Touch+Divine Favor+Bull's STR or Divine Power), which the occasional CC spell like Command or Soundburst. Once you have Radiant Servant, you'll lean more on your bursts / auras for heals, freeing SPs for other spells. Eventually you'll add in the light spells (esp. Divine Punishment vs bosses); by the time you hit lvl 12 you have Greater Command, Blade Barrier & Cometfall, all of which become part of your caster rotation.

Son_of_the_South
05-27-2013, 06:54 PM
If you're going to Sub then I might suggest a WF Sorcerer. They're actually very easy to play (the Barbarian of the Arcane world if you like). And a Quickened Reconstruct is awesome.

A great current build is 18 Sorc/2 Paladin. The 2 Paladin gives you access to Divine Grace granting a bonus to all your savings throws based on your CHA modifier.

Fire Savants tend to be the flavour of choice here although Earth is also popular. Very easy to pick feats and spells;

Here is my feat/stat choice for my old Sorc build;

1 Maximise
3 Toughness
6 Empower (a bit 'ify' on this one - don't really know how great this was tbh)
9 Quicken
12 SF:Evocation
15 Heighten
18 GSF: Evocation

ST 14
DEXT 8
CON 18
INT 10
WIS 6
CHA 16

(The above was for a 34 pt build though so you might wanna bring CON to 16 or adjust ST - I LR'd this build about lvl 9ish and dumped ST altogether for more INT and a bit of WIS and/or DEXT)

For spell choices it will depend on the Savant you want (but you WANT Fire or Earth up to the time you hit the Vale of Twilight then you prob want Air or Water main). Here is my spell list for the Earth Savant;

1 Acid Spray, Expeditious Retreat, Masters Touch, Jump (Nightshield/Protection from Evil/Acid Spray - SLA)
2 Scorch, Melf’s Acid Arrow, Resist Energy, Web, (Scorching Ray/Blur? Melf’s -SLA)
3 Acid Blast, Displacement, Repair Serious Damage, Haste (Rage/Frost Lance)
4 Acid Rain, Stoneksin, Burning Blood, PK (Fireshield/Ice Storm) - Wall of Fire??
5 Cone of Cold, Niacs Biting Cold, Eladars Electric Surge, Ball Lightning
6 Disintegrate, Reconstruct, Otiluks Freezing Sphere (Greater Heroism)
7 FoD, Otto’s, Protec Elements (Mass)
8 Polar Ray, Black Dragon Bolt, Otto’s Irresistible Dance
9 Wail, MSIX, PWK/Meteor

The ones in brackets are to swap in to replace early picks (ie at lvl 3 replace Acid Blast for Frost Lance and Repair Serious for Rage) at later points - the above list doesn't account for the 2 Paladin levels though as this build was pure Sorc so you'll have less spell slots.

Sorcs are insanely fun. I currently have a Sorc/Paly Fire Savant that has just been awesome to level. Has been able to solo just about all Elite content so far (but has decent gear too - the Vaults of the Artificers loot has some great stuff for casters btw!)

Good luck and happy questing! :-)