PDA

View Full Version : Shared Exp between Alts

droid327
05-21-2013, 03:47 PM
I know this is probably not going to be a very popular suggestion, but I think it'd improve the experience for a lot of players :) I thought of this as I was trying to decide whether to go quest on my lowbie firstlife "change of pace" cleric, or grind out a couple more Tear of Dhakaans on my third life ranger I'm grinding through...

Have a percent of experience earned on any character apply to all that account's characters on the same server. It doesnt have to be a lot - maybe just 25%. And it would scale based on relative level, so your L1 alt might only get 5% of the baseline bonus exp you earn with your L20 alt (1/20=0.05).

It could, alternatively, go into a "banked XP" bonus-type system, rather than just immediately apply...but that'd be more complicated to implement, of course.

I think this adds value because you're no longer forced to choose between playing "finished" characters for fun, or grinding through "advancing" characters to "finish" them as well. Any time you play, you're earning something - albeit small - for all your characters. Rolling up and playing a firstlife alt is no longer a "waste of time", so to say, that you could better spend grinding out your TR character. It also rewards you for variety and keeping your alts near the same level, rather than leaving one parked at L4 till you "finish" with another.

And since everyone loves to monetize their suggestions for Turbine, this gives a lot more value to buying additional server slots - and ESPECIALLY for going VIP, since that raises your per-server cap by a lot, and the more alts you have the more bonus XP you get. And for staying VIP, since "suspended" character slots wont get any bonuses, of course.

I dont think it would imbalance anything, since the number of alts per slot for non-VIPs, and especially F2Ps, is fairly negligible. It wouldnt give any bonus favor (=TP), so you'd still have to play through every quest with each character for favor milestones. And it wouldnt allow you to just "park" a character and have them, essentially, autolevel, since the bonus exp would drop pretty quick if you left them at low level and played your other chars up through 20+.

droid327
05-21-2013, 03:52 PM
Oh, needless to say (but nevertheless saying it), Stones of XP do not award bonus XP to alts :)

Systern
05-21-2013, 04:10 PM
You're confusing Ends and Means. XP is not an End unto itself. The purpose of the game is not to gather XP. The purpose of the game is to play and progress through the game, and XP is just the means to measure that progress.

So like Stones of Experience, another mechanic enabling people to not play the game is.... silly. If you're not enjoying that third life ranger, stop TRing and do something you do enjoy. It's a game. It's purpose is to be fun.

If you're "grinding" at all these days, you're doing it wrong. Elite Streak Bravery bonus makes grinding irrelevant. Streak all the quests you like, repeat a few that you particularly enjoy, and you'll progress just fine. If you don't enjoy any of them, it's time to find another game.

droid327
05-21-2013, 04:30 PM
You're confusing Ends and Means. XP is not an End unto itself. The purpose of the game is not to gather XP. The purpose of the game is to play and progress through the game, and XP is just the means to measure that progress.

So like Stones of Experience, another mechanic enabling people to not play the game is.... silly. If you're not enjoying that third life ranger, stop TRing and do something you do enjoy. It's a game. It's purpose is to be fun.

If you're "grinding" at all these days, you're doing it wrong. Elite Streak Bravery bonus makes grinding irrelevant. Streak all the quests you like, repeat a few that you particularly enjoy, and you'll progress just fine. If you don't enjoy any of them, it's time to find another game.

Fair enough, except for two things....

-The TR system is designed so that you have to play other classes to get bonuses beneficial to your "desired" class. I cant earn +2 ranged damage for my Artificer unless I play through the Ranger life. And TR bonuses are becoming less and less "optional", though less so for non-DC based classes arguably....

-The game forces every character within a limited "window" of content at any given point, and pretty much forces them to repeat it after you get tired of it. If I really felt like going back and enjoying the Harbor content on my L15, its trivially easy and gives no reward. If I'm bored with running GH stuff, tough luck, I dont get to go play in the Vale until I've eaten my vegetables and cleared Gianthold Tor 9 more times on Hard.

I do have a full elite BB streak going, with a permanent +20% XP tome no less, and I've already exhausted all my at-level quests with 2 1/2 pips left to go to the next level...

Thats partly what this suggestion was designed to ameliorate...you can fill part of that gap by going back or forward and playing characters at different stages of the game. And you earn it by playing the game (just on another char), not buy buying it in the Store. Obviously your L15 wont benefit much from 25% of a Harbor quest, but its still something. If a whole play session on my Cleric saves me 1 run of ToD on my Ranger, that's made it worthwhile for both chars :)

droid327
05-21-2013, 04:40 PM
agh no edit post....

Or let me say it another way: I have 17 quests total available to me right now without a noticeable XP penalty, all of which I've run at least twice already. If I'm bored with them and/or the repeat penalty has already grown too cumbersome, how else can I "progress" my character that isnt some form of "grinding"?

There is no social XP, crafting doesnt advance your level, and there's no open-ended "hunting grounds" you can go and kill stuff for a fixed repeatable reward (adventure zones dont count, their returns diminish too quickly), I can't "delevel" to repeat lower-level content for XP, and prematurely advancing to higher-level stuff only means i'll be that much more content-starved once I'm at-level for it.

If they ever added decay on quest repeat penalties, I'd be fine with that too, incidentally...

SisAmethyst
05-21-2013, 06:12 PM
...Have a percent of experience earned on any character apply to all that account's characters on the same server. It doesnt have to be a lot - maybe just 25%. And it would scale based on relative level, so your L1 alt might only get 5% of the baseline bonus exp you earn with your L20 alt (1/20=0.05)...

Not so sure about this being a good idea while on the other hand we already have something that is shared: The Monster Manual and their Account wide unlocks.
Regarding your suggestion: 25% is a lot of XP, especially if one of my mid level or TR characters farm an Elite Wiz-King or Reaver Refuge and all my level 4 and 5 characters would suddenly rocket through the roof. Needless to say that this would even break groups apart as I actually hold back some characters at lower level to play with our new guild members.

With the tome of learning, XP pots and bonus XP events like currently, heck even those stones I don't really see the need for it.

FalseFlag
05-22-2013, 07:39 AM
No, that's just a poor (and lazy) suggestion. A better suggestion is more and better content added across the range of levels.