PDA

View Full Version : MMOs and Behavior [Thesis Study]

Lisento
05-20-2013, 10:09 AM
***Moderators: If this is inapropriate to post here like this or if I need to get permission prior to posting please private message me so I can clear it! I browsed the rules and was unable to determine this as inappropriate or violating a rule! Please contact me if it is.

Hello everyone!

It's been a long time since I've been around (pre-free-to-play) but decided to start it back up again in celebration of my thesis study, the only thing I have left to finish. It is looking at the relationship between self-perceived behavior and MMO gameplay. If you could please take a moment out of your time to take this survey, or if you know someone who would be interested in participating please pass it along! Below is the general advert and link for the completely anonymous online survey. Thank you in advance if you take the survey or pass it along to anyone you know! Also, please note that this link is to an official Purdue University server and is clean!!!

An online study regarding massive multiplayer online games (MMOs) and behavior is looking for participants. If you are at least 18 years old, currently living within the United States and have played an MMO within the last three months then you are eligible to participate. This study is investigating the relationship between playing MMOs and behavior as well as between motivations for playing MMOs and behavior. Your participation will help the scientific community acquire necessary research on electronic gaming.

If you know people who may fit the criteria and may be interested in participating in this survey, you are welcome and encouraged to provide them with this information and web link.

LINK TO THE QUESTIONNAIRE: http://isprsurvey.purduecal.edu/survey/intweb.dll/project/cawi/mmostudy1

zeichen-thest
05-20-2013, 09:54 PM
It is clear that you crafted your questions to get a specific result. I cannot believe any professor wouldn't be able to see your specific agenda. You will get the result that proves your thesis statement. Though I have only been playing this game and been on the forums for 1 year, this is the fourth thesis thread I have seen. Mostly they are trying to prove addiction, but yours is clearly trying to prove that MMO's influence people's aggressiveness. I really hope this isn't what is considered graduate level research at your school.

TheMash
05-21-2013, 12:43 AM
Did... Did I fail by not being from the US?

Charononus
05-21-2013, 12:43 AM
It is clear that you crafted your questions to get a specific result. I cannot believe any professor wouldn't be able to see your specific agenda. You will get the result that proves your thesis statement. Though I have only been playing this game and been on the forums for 1 year, this is the fourth thesis thread I have seen. Mostly they are trying to prove addiction, but yours is clearly trying to prove that MMO's influence people's aggressiveness. I really hope this isn't what is considered graduate level research at your school.

This, your questions are set up to get the answer you want not to provide accurate information. It reminds me more of a political survey than a pyschological one. Pretty sad and if you run with this I really hope the prof gives you the fail you deserve for it.

forummuleonly
05-21-2013, 01:11 AM
I like the end of the survey:

Statement of Feedback

Thank you for participating in this study! Your contribution is greatly appreciated and will help further knowledge on this particular subject.

Counseling Information
If you experienced any discomfort at any time while participating, you may wish to contact a mental health professional. You can find local therapy services from the American Association of Marriage and Family Therapy at www.therapistblahblahblah.net

Keep that link handy OP, you may need it if you feel any discomfort at any time while participating in the reading of my answers.

Saihung423
05-21-2013, 08:42 AM
I'll gladly take that to help:)

Saihung423
05-21-2013, 08:56 AM
Done. Just let me know if I win. I lost powerball and am hoping this makes up for it.

cdbd3rd
05-21-2013, 10:24 AM
...., this is the fourth thesis thread I have seen. ....

This. And most with the same "don't hurt me" intro blip.

Hmm. A little Google research later...

Help my sister graduate!
I wil name your REAL LOVER...

Octopus has the potential to...

The Use of Computer-Mediated Communication to Resolve Romantic Interpersonal Conflict
Link is clean it is a university server

Would've figured there were plenty of responses from the posting on battle.net/guild wars/eve/rift forums over a month ago...

http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/uu105/solinoure/skeptical-cat.jpg

cdbd3rd
05-21-2013, 10:38 AM
I like the end of the survey:

...Therapy at www.therapistblahblahblah.net (http://www.therapistblahblahblah.net)

Therapist = TheRapist.

:rolleyes:

Sonos
05-21-2013, 11:30 AM
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/34444676.jpg

Saihung423
05-21-2013, 11:32 AM
I love that hair.

I have tried to copy it and all I get are comments telling me to take a shower and go away hippie....to be fair I do need a shower.

Silverleafeon
05-21-2013, 11:41 AM
Reported this thread to the moderators:

This thread links to a survey that in the end links to a profession type paid service.
Hence it is in fact, real world advertising seeking business on the DDO website.
I believe typically that is not allowed to be done on most gaming websites.

Please remove this thread completely.

I also find this thread offensive due to its superiority complex
and all that it attempts to imply. A true expert in this field would
have strong compassion and common sense which is not seen here.

Thank you for all you do for us.

Cheers.

Lisento
05-21-2013, 11:53 AM

Thank you for your concern. I assure you the methodology used to construct the survey *was* chosen purposefully but it was *not* chosen to construct particular results. There is a discussion in the body of the literature regarding why certain scales and questions were used over others. If you believe that the methodology is deeply flawed I encourage you to get in contact as it directs participants on the entry page of the survey. I DO appreciate concerns and suggestions as I wish to continue a line of research regarding MMOs! :)

Reported this thread to the moderators:

This thread links to a survey that in the end links to a profession type paid service.
Hence it is in fact, real world advertising seeking business on the DDO website.
I believe typically that is not allowed to be done on most gaming websites.

Please remove this thread completely.

I also find this thread offensive due to its superiority complex
and all that it attempts to imply. A true expert in this field would
have strong compassion and common sense which is not seen here.

Thank you for all you do for us.

Cheers.

This thread does not link to a profession type paid service. No one is getting paid for performing this research and it is purely academic, in other words for my masters thesis. You can verify this by contacting Purdue's IRB board as directed on the entry page of the form. The protocol number and all necessary information linking to this particular study is available on that page.

Silverleafeon
05-21-2013, 11:58 AM
This thread does not link to a profession type paid service.

Yes it does.

Right at the start:

"You can find local therapy services from the American Association of Marriage and Family Therapy at _________"

Do you deny that these people will charge money?

Lisento
05-21-2013, 12:02 PM
Would've figured there were plenty of responses from the posting on battle.net/guild wars/eve/rift forums over a month ago...

Sorry for double post. Missed this in the previous reply.

The response rate and completion rate are...verrrry different things :)

Lisento
05-21-2013, 12:05 PM
Do you deny that these people will charge money?

I'm ethically obligated to refer participants to a way to get in touch with local therapists in the event of an issue. The link you are referring to directs people to a directory of AAMFT certified therapists in the United States. It does not cost money to use that directory.

Silverleafeon
05-21-2013, 12:11 PM
I'm ethically obligated to refer participants to a way to get in touch with local therapists in the event of an issue. The link you are referring to directs people to a directory of AAMFT certified therapists in the United States. It does not cost money to use that directory.

The directory refers to people who will charge money.

Silverleafeon
05-21-2013, 12:17 PM
[QUOTE=Lisento;5004539]I'm ethically obligated to refer participants to a way to get in touch with local therapists in the event of an issue.[QUOTE]

If there is any concern that you could be doing harm to us, then the moderators of this website
should be very concerned about your presence here.

This space is provided by a business for luxury entertainment.
It is not public property.

Silverleafeon
05-21-2013, 12:21 PM
Reporting this post a second time:

This thread openly admits that it could do harm to us.

Please review your policies on allowing threads of this nature.

AlmGhandi
05-21-2013, 12:23 PM
Does answering the questions more than once increase my Chance of winning? I'd hate to waste more time than necessary... and if answering it more than six times doesn't bring anything more... then I guess I'll stop now.
Please let me know,. I want to win!

Do you have to be over 18 to win? My 8 year old Cousin wants to win too.

Citzen_Gkar
05-21-2013, 12:35 PM

He's right here. He probably didn't even type that, its probably boiler plate (or required text) in anything posted relating to research at his school.

Now, with that said.... I can't believe you got this survey past your thesis committee. It's HORRIBLE lol.

For example, "describe your character". What is that even supposed to mean? Describe WHAT about them?

And the garbage questions that lead to meaningless results like "Given enough provocation, I may hit another person" (or its twin question, I can think of no good reason for ever hitting a person ) 99% of thinking people SHOULD feel that with enough provocation they would hit another person or they are mentally ill. It's the level of provocation you need to test. For example, is calling me names enough to provoke me, or is it only when I find them raping my infant daughter? Kind of different psychologically and in both cases you have to answer a "4 or 5" on that one recognizing that eventually "enough" could be reached, even for a normally completely non violent person.

Or in a similar vein, "If i have to resort to violence to protect my rights, I will " Once again you its too vague. What is meant by rights? Protecting your right to yell loudly at a movie theatre is very different than being willing to fight for your right not to be sent to a death camp for being a particular race/religion/sexual orientation.

The bias in these and other questions all swing towards people indicating more violence, not less, in the case of the ambiguity. This is either deliberate or very sloppy work and goes a long way to invalidating the study. I strongly suggest you consult with your thesis advisor again because there is no way a thesis committee at a reputable school would accept this at the graduate level. It looks like a high school survey.

Gkar
05-21-2013, 12:37 PM

He's right here. He probably didn't even type that, its probably boiler plate (or required text) in anything posted relating to research at his school.

Now, with that said.... I can't believe you got this survey past your thesis committee. It's HORRIBLE lol.

For example, "describe your character". What is that even supposed to mean? Describe WHAT about them?

And the garbage questions that lead to meaningless results like "Given enough provocation, I may hit another person" (or its twin question, I can think of no good reason for ever hitting a person ) 99% of thinking people SHOULD feel that with enough provocation they would hit another person or they are mentally ill. It's the level of provocation you need to test. For example, is calling me names enough to provoke me, or is it only when I find them raping my infant daughter? Kind of different psychologically and in both cases you have to answer a "4 or 5" on that one recognizing that eventually "enough" could be reached, even for a normally completely non violent person.

Or in a similar vein, "If i have to resort to violence to protect my rights, I will " Once again you its too vague. What is meant by rights? Protecting your right to yell loudly at a movie theatre is very different than being willing to fight for your right not to be sent to a death camp for being a particular race/religion/sexual orientation.

The bias in these and other questions all swing towards people indicating more violence, not less, in the case of the ambiguity. This is either deliberate or very sloppy work and goes a long way to invalidating the study. I strongly suggest you consult with your thesis advisor again because there is no way a thesis committee at a reputable school would accept this at the graduate level. It looks like a high school survey.

Gkar
05-21-2013, 12:39 PM
Does answering the questions more than once increase my Chance of winning? I'd hate to waste more time than necessary... and if answering it more than six times doesn't bring anything more... then I guess I'll stop now.
Please let me know,. I want to win!

Do you have to be over 18 to win? My 8 year old Cousin wants to win too.

If he is following even the most basic online methodology he is collecting your IP to reduce the chance of that. Of course I didn't notice that collection of personal information in his disclosure statement so I suppose its possible he isn't checking for duplicates lol

AlmGhandi
05-21-2013, 12:40 PM
or is it only when I find them raping my infant daughter? Kind of different psychologically and in both cases you have to answer a "4 or 5" on that one recognizing that eventually "enough" could be reached, even for a normally completely non violent person.

Drat! I missed that question about my daughter. I'll take the Survey again and give the right answer (you can take out my other answers... I'm the one that said I am 28 years old).

Oh and my Cousin wants to know how carefully you are going to check the ID of the winner.

AlmGhandi
05-21-2013, 12:41 PM
If he is following even the most basic online methodology he is collecting your IP to reduce the chance of that. Of course I didn't notice that collection of personal information in his disclosure statement so I suppose its possible he isn't checking for duplicates lol

Drat!
If only there were a reliable way to fudge IP detection... :/ But then if he were collecting the Information without saying it... then could I sue him or something?

CE2JRH123
05-21-2013, 12:43 PM
I just think it's funny that you have a couple questions about disagreeing with people beside questions with becoming violent. I do public speech and and debate semi-professionally and study rationality, and I consider being able to disagree and argue with someone the highest virtue.

Silverleafeon
05-21-2013, 12:46 PM

To guard his school and himself which is selfish because he is on our turf provided to us.
Who is protecting us?

Silverleafeon
05-21-2013, 12:54 PM
But then if he were collecting the Information without saying it...

Indeed.
And why are not all the religious organizations linked to for counseling as well?
The should claim discrimination.

I come here to have a good time, not see something like this,
particularly when it is poorly done that people can easily poke holes in it.

Gkar
05-21-2013, 12:59 PM
I just think it's funny that you have a couple questions about disagreeing with people beside questions with becoming violent. I do public speech and and debate semi-professionally and study rationality, and I consider being able to disagree and argue with someone the highest virtue.

I agree. That's especially funny for a University based study when disagreeing is a REQUIRED part of progressing to a graduate degree. If you don't disagree with people often you probably aren't a good academic because then all you do is regurgitate and not add unique and corrective. We would never advance in anything if people didn't challenge accepted beliefs and even accepted "facts".

Citzen_Gkar
05-21-2013, 01:00 PM

I agree. That's especially funny for a University based study when disagreeing is a REQUIRED part of progressing to a graduate degree. If you don't disagree with people often you probably aren't a good academic because then all you do is regurgitate and not add unique and corrective. We would never advance in anything if people didn't challenge accepted beliefs and even accepted "facts".

Silverleafeon
05-21-2013, 01:03 PM

Which is why I questioned his compassion and common sense.

Isolation and forcing submissive behavior are key ingredients to some of the world's bigger problems.

DDO promotes free exchange of ideas globally which can potentially do a great deal of good in the long run.

I perceive this as potential to be added to current political debates in high places.
Since"findings" of this nature could be used by lawmakers in the future,
I am very questioning this whole matter and its legitimacy as well as the impact it may have on our future.

Silverleafeon
05-21-2013, 02:16 PM
..currently living within the United States...

D&D players are smart.
We watch the news.
We saw the USA president issued a request for research concerning whether there is possible links to violence with video games;
along with many other things during a tragedy awhile back. All these requests were to be done quickly.
{Pardon me if my quotes are poor, that was my general impression.}

When the President of one of the strongest counties in the world strongly wants something,
there is a great deal of potential available.

Potential professional prestige, future promotions, government grants, etc...

A whole lifetime of a person could be influenced by such things.
A person could be influenced by the potential.

The latest raid created for DDO concerns a Dragon who began twisting logic in his mind,
it eventually warped his entire being. The raid is entitled, "The Fall of Truth."

Do not presume that we are blind.
Your false data, in large enough amounts, generalized in the final reports
could be very damaging to the MMO industry.

It is sad that you have not come here with an open mind.

Silverleafeon
05-21-2013, 02:19 PM
Did... Did I fail by not being from the US?

Aye, there is no gain for him from you.

Silverleafeon
05-21-2013, 02:21 PM
...It's been a long time since I've been around (pre-free-to-play) but decided to start it back up again...

Get your toon out of the harbor and wander around the market place.
Open your eyes and you will see how we feel.

Do presume to call yourself one of us, till you start thinking as player.

Silverleafeon
05-21-2013, 02:24 PM
Ok, I'll stop.

Politely requesting that threads such as this never enter these forums again.

Missing_Minds
05-21-2013, 02:25 PM
I would find it deliciously ironic if the real topic is how people respond to surveys. (or some such related topic.)

*continues to eat his burger, not willing to fill out any forms as the burger has priority.*

geoffhanna
05-21-2013, 02:33 PM
I would find it deliciously ironic if the real topic is how people respond to surveys. (or some such related topic.)

*continues to eat his burger, not willing to fill out any forms as the burger has priority.*

Exactly what I was thinking while reading this thread :)

Grosbeak07
05-21-2013, 02:51 PM
Ok, I'll stop.

Politely requesting that threads such as this never enter these forums again.

Given the amount of agitation you seem to be having from this thread.... perhaps some sort of counseling is in order?

Pretty sure there is a link somewhere....

FlaviusMaximus
07-22-2013, 11:55 PM
I completed the survey.

While they essentially mean the same thing, I would have liked to have seen the words "debate" or "persuade" instead of "argue", since "argue" is often used to describe a more aggressive kind of debate. Felt a bit trapped in that section, since the rest of the questions involve aggressive behavior. I will debate, but not in an aggressive way, so without knowing how "argue" was being defined in the survey, it was a hard question to answer. In other words, if I say I argue frequently, are people going to get the wrong impression or will they realize that reasonable debates are taking place?

A link to the data once it is added up would be appreciated. I would be curious to see what the results are.

Morgraim
07-23-2013, 02:43 AM
I won a free iPhone!