PDA

View Full Version : Movement choices

Saml
05-05-2013, 11:43 AM
I am a founder but have been gone for a long time. I started EQ in August '99 and was in open beta for DDO and LOTRO. I still play LOTRO.

I play in first person view and use mouse for movement in LOTRO. Right button for direction and left button for forward movement, especially for "scooching" a small amount. I can not find a key bind in DDO that will allow me to do so. Any joy?

Mahalko128
05-05-2013, 01:41 PM
Esc-Options-Key Mapping-FPS Style.

Hopefully that's what you want, if not though, try to continue tinkering with that section and let us know what you come up with.

Saml
05-06-2013, 09:53 AM
Thanks, but no joy. The options will not allow binding movement to the 0,1 or wheel. After fourteen years I can't break the habit and am forever attacking instead of moving forward.

~Marthesis_
05-06-2013, 01:04 PM
Thanks, but no joy. The options will not allow binding movement to the 0,1 or wheel. After fourteen years I can't break the habit and am forever attacking instead of moving forward.

Unfortunately, DDO is much more heavily movement-based than LOTRO, the control scheme you're asking for would likely make for poor gameplay compared to the more conventional controls. (WASD + Hold Right button to change facing)

If you're still willing to give it a shot, I understand there are programs like AutoHotkey that can map keyboard buttons to mouse buttons and vice versa, so you could give one of those programs a shot, mapping forward to some unused key like ']', then mapping your mouse 1 button to that key. Downside would of course be sometimes scooting forward when you're trying to use a menu, but I imagine it wouldn't be that big a deal.

Saml
05-06-2013, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the answer. I guess this is one reason I dropped out before. I am an old phart and hard to deprogram.

~Anasa
05-08-2013, 06:14 AM
I suspect a simple autohotkey (free download) script would do the job, but I'd like to be sure I understand what you're asking for. The game supports mouse-look while holding the right mouse button. You just have to assign the right button to one of the "steer" options. Is that what you mean by "right button for direction"? If so, I guess it's just a matter of adding forward movement to the left button. You'd only want that to happen while already holding the right button, correct? Otherwise you'd scooch forward every time you left-clicked something in the interface.

~Anasa
05-08-2013, 06:45 AM
Well, if that is what you want, I have a working script. You can download the program from autohotkey.com. Once it's installed, right-click in whatever folder you want and do New - Authotkey Script. Name it, right-click it, choose Edit, and paste the following into the script:

~RButton & LButton::
while GetKeyState("LButton", "P") && GetKeyState("RButton", "P")
{
Send {Up down}
}
Send {Up up}
returnSave and exit. It might run more smoothly if you right-click it and choose compile. Then you launch the .exe version instead of the .ahk version. You might have to right-click and run as administrator. If that does the job, thank the person who helped out with it here: http://www.autohotkey.com/board/topic/93198-hold-arrow-while-both-mouse-buttons-are-pressed/#entry587495

Edit: Oh yeah. You have to first hold the right button and then hold the left button. That feels ok though, because you don't want to move until you're in mouse-look. In WoW and other games though, it doesn't matter which button you hit first, so I thought I'd mention it.

~Anasa
05-08-2013, 08:04 PM
I should also mention that {Up Down} simulates pressing and holding the Up arrow key. If you mapped those to something else and are using, for example, WSDF for movement, you'd change it to {W Down}. {Up Up} or {W Up} is to release the key.