PDA

View Full Version : Is this game too grindy?

skaught78
04-14-2013, 03:11 PM
So I started playing the game about a year ago. I'm just now finishing up my third life (been a fighter all three lives). My first life was pretty fun, but got a little tired of fighter by second life, but enjoyed a different build anyway. This life, I'm pretty burned out. Im at Level 19, and it has taken forever to get here. Everything from about level 16 and up has taken way too long to even be enjoyable. At level 15, I bought a greater tome of learning, and really, didn't find that it made the leveling go much faster. To get from 18 to 19 was completely unenjoyable. Now I've largely lost the motivation to get to 20.

I really like this game, and want to keep playing and build up some nice past life feats, but this is just way too much grind for me. As a result, I'm thinking of canceling my VIP status and quitting the game altogether. My questions are:

Do any of you other players find that at third life, the game just requires too much XP?

Is there a nice relatively fast and easy way to get from 16 - 20 at third life?

What other suggestions, if any, do you have to get from 16-20 without grinding the heck out of the same quests over and over?

inb4 dont be a baby
inb4 play the game like everyone else
inb4 stop complaining
inb4 other random generic insult

Kilbar
04-14-2013, 03:16 PM
All I can say is play MapleStory or one of the other ultra-grinder Korean MMOs and then ask that same question again. Actually, just go play MapleStory for a few hours, that'll make you feel ALL better about DDO.

Dolphious
04-14-2013, 03:24 PM
There's no non-grindy way of getting from 16-20 on a TR2+. The only way you can really avoid it is not doing second TRs. Just make new toons or play at 25 running what you want when you want.

You can ease the pain a bit by running the right quests in the right order at the right time. There are lots of threads about how to do this. Yes it's not much fun having to be so OCD about a video game, but it beats sitting at 18-19 with nothing to run and hundreds of thousands of XP short of 20.

It's a constant complaint from players that the TR2+ 16-20 grind is no fun, and the XP costs and rewards in that range need to be adjusted, but no serious changes have been made. You wouldn't be the first person to give up on the game because of it.

My recommendation would be to make that final push to 20, then leave that toon at epic levels while you start a new toon for variety. TRing again when you're feeling burned out on the grind is a good way to start hating the game.

Kilbar
04-14-2013, 03:35 PM
There's no non-grindy way of getting from 16-20 on a TR2+. The only way you can really avoid it is not doing second TRs. Just make new toons or play at 25 running what you want when you want.

You can ease the pain a bit by running the right quests in the right order at the right time. There are lots of threads about how to do this. Yes it's not much fun having to be so OCD about a video game, but it beats sitting at 18-19 with nothing to run and hundreds of thousands of XP short of 20.

It's a constant complaint from players that the TR2+ 16-20 grind is no fun, and the XP costs and rewards in that range need to be adjusted, but no serious changes have been made. You wouldn't be the first person to give up on the game because of it.

My recommendation would be to make that final push to 20, then leave that toon at epic levels while you start a new toon for variety. TRing again when you're feeling burned out on the grind is a good way to start hating the game.

Actually, there IS a way, but they're rare and expensive. Stones of Experience will zip you right from eight to twenty after a couple TRs and with the right XP items on and/or active.

skaught78
04-14-2013, 03:41 PM
Thanks Dolph. Yeah. If theres been a lot of complaints, and people leaving, I'm surprised they haven't done anything about it. I mean, I'm not trying to be a whiner or ask for special treatment from Turbine, I just can't see why they'd make it so difficult, and not change things. I wouldnt even mind so much if there were more quests at those levels so there could at least be some variety of quests to run. And especially if those quests weren't so G.D. difficult! Nobody ever seems to want to run the high XP quests at those levels cause they know they'll die.

Maybe it's just my class, and maybe I'm just burned on fighter. Is there another class thats esier to solo with or run with a smaller party?

skaught78
04-14-2013, 03:42 PM
Actually, there IS a way, but they're rare and expensive. Stones of Experience will zip you right from eight to twenty after a couple TRs and with the right XP items on and/or active.

Yeah dude, how do I get one of those?

Kilbar
04-14-2013, 03:46 PM
Yeah dude, how do I get one of those?

Find one who has one for sale and be prepared to pay through the nose for it. And whatever you do, make sure you only pay half up front and the other half after its been used. If the ORIGINAL owner isn't the one to use it on you, it's worthless.

As for being burned on Fighter, I went to Monk and only look back when I'm feeling nostalgic. Then I quickly remember why I switched in the first place.

t0r012
04-14-2013, 03:47 PM
Even a TR3 is nothing compared to the grind in most MMOs.
As said before try some of the Asian MMOs like silk road or Rohan
You will have a whole new appreciation for DDO.

skaught78
04-14-2013, 03:51 PM

Naw, Im not interested in that, nor am I talking about that, or making comparisons. I'm talking about DDO.

Kilbar
04-14-2013, 03:54 PM

Indeed. The aforementioned MapleStory has over four times as many levels, each of which is harder to attain, than DDO. And that's including the upcoming 28th level cap raise. 120 levels in all.

nni
04-14-2013, 03:55 PM
inb4 dont be a baby
inb4 stop complaining
This shows immaturity and is likely to keep away people that would otherwise make constructive comments on your thread.

psykopeta
04-14-2013, 03:57 PM
in my lives(actually 15th) i take 18 once i hit the xp to take it, the reason is quite simple: i don't farm quests with poor xp base(and the completion time or xp/min isn't a WOW I MUST DO IT) nor bank lvls, in fact i only farm shadow crypt(till madness, something like 1e/11h/1n/1 c or 11e/1h/1n/1c) von 3 and wizard king(maybe 6 times each?) and litany of dead(also till madness) then i take 18
once i take 18 i have 1M xp left, so that may be a bit hard, what should i do?
running with the devild + HARD farm = over 200k
enter the kobold + NORM farm = over 200k
monastery of scorpion + NORM farm = over 200k
sane asylum + NORM farm = not much xp, maybe 100-150k

add first time runs in rest of quests(not all of course) and you're capped, i do it every life, just think in 1 of the farms/day, cn't be grindy

if can't farm that(i pointed even the difficulty, aren't the toughest options) because it's too grindy, maybe you should farm lower lvl quests and bank xp(useless imho, the quests i farm have more xp/base, that's why i farm em) if both options aren't ok for you, then should try wow or any other mmorpg, where you don't have to repeat quests, just spend 1 day killing stuff in the same place to get 1 lvl, of course that game have more than 20 lvls because with a bot you can get the same results

leaving vip? im not vip, in fact i think nobody should be, only looking the turbine's customer service, think it's reason enough

skaught78
04-14-2013, 04:00 PM
Kil and Tor, Trying a different game will not allow me to level faster from 16-20 in DDO. On that note, I appreciate your participation. But other games and they're relative grindiness are not what I am talking about, nor what I care to discuss in this thread, nor is it the topic of this thread. Please stay on topic :)

Kilbar
04-14-2013, 04:04 PM
Kil and Tor, Trying a different game will not allow me to level faster from 16-20 in DDO. On that note, I appreciate your participation. But other games and they're relative grindiness are not what I am talking about, nor what I care to discuss in this thread, nor is it the topic of this thread. Please stay on topic :)

Sorry, man. I do tend to ramble.

skaught78
04-14-2013, 04:04 PM
This shows immaturity and is likely to keep away people that would otherwise make constructive comments on your thread.

Thanks for that tip, however, If people are going to come in and insult me, I have no interest in their feedback anyway. I post on a few other forums where "inb4" is frequently used. (not refering to 4chan). I use it to make the statement that I expect people will make unrelated and useless posts, and that I do not want them to post in my threads, unless they have constructive criticisms or suggestions.

But if this forum generally frowns upon it, I will refrain from using it in the future, so thanks :)

skaught78
04-14-2013, 04:06 PM
Sorry, man. I do tend to ramble.

NP mate ;) And thanks!

Junk
04-14-2013, 04:11 PM
If you find the TRing a grind don't play the TR seen. Try permadeath (which has its own grind by the way). Try a different class. Play the end game, try a Role playing guild. Try a non PD D&D guild. TRing is not the only way to play DDO. There are many ways to play DDO which you get bored with one way try another you can always go back to TRing.

skaught78
04-14-2013, 04:14 PM
running with the devild + HARD farm = over 200k
enter the kobold + NORM farm = over 200k
monastery of scorpion + NORM farm = over 200k
sane asylum + NORM farm = not much xp, maybe 100-150k

add first time runs in rest of quests(not all of course) and you're capped, i do it every life, just think in 1 of the farms/day, cn't be grindy

Thats great feedback! I'll deffinitely give that a try Thanks a ton man!

...then should try wow or any other mmorpg

Yuck! God no! No other game has anything over DDO!

Ape_Man
04-14-2013, 05:21 PM
Slightly, at this point a few things stand out.

- ED grind is friggin insanse.
- Gear droprates are abysmally terrible.

Chai
04-14-2013, 05:26 PM
It is grindy enough to make people jump at the opportunity to pay over and over again to temporarily not grind as much, in multiple incarnations.

Miow
04-14-2013, 05:41 PM

I'm going to tell you what i do

Don't play your tr everyday
Find a group to tr with<-------important
Have a Greater tome of learning
Drink Superior learning pots for high xp quests
Maintain elite streak straight to 20(squip a a quest or two if you have to)

Doing this we run almost all the content but don't require very much farming at all...

adam1oftheround
04-14-2013, 05:51 PM
Yes, the game is too grindy. I recommend you go grind to level 20 in real life, so you can pay to win.

coldblade000
04-14-2013, 06:14 PM
It's a long and tiresome journey to be sure after you've reached Life 3.

It's good that you got that tome of learning. Even if you might not notice it helping. Part of that might be because you got it after so many lives. On a character I gave the learning tome to on his first life I skyrocketed through. Like, we are talking I missed out on loads of content cause I just got levels so quick.

Farming the right quests can be your best friend. It's all too easy to level yourself into a difficult corner and the game then becomes much too like a chore than fun. Others have pointed out in numerous ways, and kindly suggested, increasing quests within certain level ranges, or lovely rewards to keep that spark ignited.

Finding those golden quests, getting good at them, and getting accepted into groups that will help you with them...that's the real grind. Solo is certainly possible most of the time...but not always fun.

As others have also pointed out, having an alt can really help breath some life into the game. The different play styles alone keeps the entertainment factor way up(and remembering how easy it was to level lesser lives.) Major kudos on you for doing Fighter all three times. I can totally see why you would be burned out, even with a different build, and even probably loving the class.

Kmnh
04-14-2013, 06:18 PM
Stop TRing, stick around for endgame quests and raids. It's like playing a completely different game. You can play at the difficulty you prefer, without the pressures of keeping BB going or doing the same quest on normal 7 times in a row to keep up with your leveling party.

KongColeus
04-14-2013, 06:59 PM
I login and see my inventory is full, I can't run a quest. I have to deconstruct stuff. No beholders there, just broccoli.

I run around to the item collectors to get augments or look to see what augments I can get and how much. No beholders there, just broccoli.

Oops, too many dragonshard fragments, got to go convert those. No beholders there, just broccoli.

Rats, my large red bag is full of collectables again and overflowing into my inventory. I got to mail that stuff off to whoever stores what.

Daily Dice, not too much of an intrusion so that one is okay for now.

I check the AH, the weapons brokers, the armor brokers, the item brokers for gear. No beholders there, just broccoli.

I can probably spend two hours a day doing what I call account maintenance. By then, I can pretty much figure out I have run out of game time.

unbongwah
04-15-2013, 10:53 AM
TRing is for the OCD; multiple TRs and/or going for Completionist is for the truly masochistic and inveterate minmaxers. :p

The reality is you can run the vast majority of DDO content on a first-lifer with relatively modest gear; I know because that's what most of my characters have been. A solid build, player skill, and foreknowledge of each quest are a lot more important than riding the TR train; failing that, finding the right group to pike with can really save your bacon. ;)

DDO is only "too grindy" if you let it become too grindy. If you subject yourself to the TR grind - rather than, I dunno, just playing to have fun, maybe? - you have only your own gamer OCD to blame. :cool:

[That said, I won't complain if Turbine decided to up the drop rate on some of the newer gear... *cough*]

Ryiah
04-15-2013, 11:21 AM
Do any of you other players find that at third life, the game just requires too much XP?

Yes and no. I do believe a lot of the better XP quests are too early in the level range. I would love to see quests with the XP reward like Shadow Crypt and the Pit closer to end game. But instead we have Amrath which is horrible XP for the time investment.

At the same time I can run the majority of quests available as I level and, even on a third life, only one each quest once till around Vale. Though some are simply too excellent to only run once.

I agree with those who state that TRing is not necessary. Especially for Fighters. You are gaining +1 to-hit and +1 to your tactical DCs. Well the +1 to tactical feats is very nice but still only at most a 5% difference assuming you could land them to begin with. If you landed them perfectly every single time or if you never could land them even with the increase it is worthless. The +1 to-hit increase is nice early on but at end game the difference is minor and unlikely to make a visible difference.

psykopeta
04-15-2013, 11:25 AM
Thats great feedback! I'll deffinitely give that a try Thanks a ton man!

Yuck! God no! No other game has anything over DDO!

forgot to add i don't use pots, (i get 3k favor /life, that's 750 tp then i use em for things like races/classes/packs, actually missing last 2 packs and arti)

ummmm oh true, i take lvl 17 with 3,1M xp, so can hit 18 farming only litany, once hit 18 i claim the lvl and i get the 1M xp like i told you before(so can do any other quest of your choice at lower lvl, as harbinger of madness or path to eveningstar)

and...think it's everything, of course take it easy, because that 2 lvls can make u feel anxious, it's just another 1M xp, and the worst part in the farms i told you is the 1st elite run

useful tips:
enter the kobold: ice shield clicky/scroll/whatever, need it for elite(and some kiter would be useful too)
sane asylum: ignore mobs in the beginning and run til the receptionist,do ALWAYS the puzzle,be careful with the boss hits harder when less hp she has
monastery: don't attack the boss, you may lose the xp "for completing the puzzle w/o harming the boss 10%" (once u hit him for 10% he deletes 1 tile of the puzzle, do it if there's no solution, meanwhile kite)
rwtd: banishing weapons for everyone, banishing spells(with lawful outsider bane are useful too) and don't gather mobs, they hit for 200 light damage each, pm's will be 1 shoted

and the most important thing: the game is grindy if you do it so, i farm 10 quests/life and run over 200(i know it because the bb), there're players who run maybe 30 quests and farm em all with 50% pots and tr faster

also there're players who cap epic xp and then grind all the ED in 1 life(i got em 1 each life aprox, while getting tokens to tr and commendations for some gear) with 2 quests: impossible demmands and house of rusted blades, guess it worths spending 2 hours doing the same quest to cap 1 ED, with 26 hours they have all ED maxed i guess

EDIT; true, almost forgot it(maybe said it before rofl) ddo is only grindy if you make it so

CheeseMilk
04-15-2013, 11:29 AM
It certainly is a big grind on your first Legend build. It does get easier the more times you do it, though.

I recommend rolling up a brand-new character and getting it to 20. You'll be surprised how quick and easy a first life gets to cap after grinding through a third-lifer. Play around with epic stuff a bit, but try to get at least a few thousand XP on your TR every play session. Eventually you'll get there, and the journey won't be as mind-numbing with another character to cut the boredom.

Gremmlynn
04-15-2013, 03:32 PM
The way I see it, if you don't like grind the TR play style likely isn't the best choice. It's really a minor gain in power in most cases, with a tremendous grind attached. It seems something more suited to players who are being turned off from the game having to little grind to fill their play time than those who are turned off by to much grind.

Ivan_Milic
04-15-2013, 06:07 PM
Its not grindy.
Im on my 6th life, I expected it to be nightmare at lvl 18 to 20, everyone writing how awful it is and such, but when I did it first time it felt fast.
DDO is not grindy game, only if you want to get best gear and you are not lucky it gets grindy.
I used to play a game where you have 200 lvls, at lvl 120 1 monster kill gives you 0.01 % xp, thats the only way to get xp, killing monsters, now calculate how many mobs you need to kill to get to 200 and xp for killing mobs gets lower and lower.

RedHost
04-17-2013, 02:42 PM
I really like this game, and want to keep playing and build up some nice past life feats, but this is just way too much grind for me. As a result, I'm thinking of canceling my VIP status and quitting the game altogether. My questions are:
This is not so much saying that DDO is grindy, as much as you have chosen to play in a very grindy manner. The past life feats offer very little actual benefit, relative to the other means of character power. You made the decision to pursue them, this is not something that the game really pushes players to do.

It certainly does slow down at level 18. However, if you hold off on taking all of that nice XP from the Vale quests until you get to this point it will go much faster.

This is something that many guides have been written on. It might take some searching to find which one is best for your playstyle, but you can start looking for this information with Mr. Cow's 'Diaries of a True Reincarnate' series of guides. Some of the specifics are a bit dated, but it should still help. http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=237895 is the Melee one.

What other suggestions, if any, do you have to get from 16-20 without grinding the heck out of the same quests over and over?
If you 'once and done' everything on Elite streak you will get there, even on a third life. I ~think~ that even just once-and-done on Hard streak will put you pretty close to not having to repeat much, but I haven't personally done it so not entirely sure. It is definitely not the fastest way to level, but it is an alternative to grinding specific quests.

If you are not at all interested in running the low XP/min quests that tend to be very prevalent in the 17-19 range, you could always do some Epic Challenges to break up the monotony. The XP on them is not really amazing any more, but as long as you have someone level 20+ in your group you will be able to enter and solo them. And it is far, far better than the Heroic Challenges, without being much more difficult.

This situation really hasn't existed since Bravery Bonus and Tomes of XP. There may be stuff that you do not ~want~ to run. But there is in no way any kind of shortage of XP to be had.

Cheezburgerz
04-17-2013, 03:06 PM
It's not even in the same grind universe as chess.

Purkilius
04-17-2013, 03:44 PM
I login and see my inventory is full, I can't run a quest. I have to deconstruct stuff. No beholders there, just broccoli.

I run around to the item collectors to get augments or look to see what augments I can get and how much. No beholders there, just broccoli.

Oops, too many dragonshard fragments, got to go convert those. No beholders there, just broccoli.

Rats, my large red bag is full of collectables again and overflowing into my inventory. I got to mail that stuff off to whoever stores what.

I check the AH, the weapons brokers, the armor brokers, the item brokers for gear. No beholders there, just broccoli.

I can probably spend two hours a day doing what I call account maintenance. By then, I can pretty much figure out I have run out of game time.

lol this happens to me often :)

SealedInSong
04-17-2013, 07:41 PM

This is so much of what I do on DDO. It's just so sad to admit it.

Hendrik
04-17-2013, 08:52 PM
So I started playing the game about a year ago. I'm just now finishing up my third life (been a fighter all three lives). My first life was pretty fun, but got a little tired of fighter by second life, but enjoyed a different build anyway. This life, I'm pretty burned out. Im at Level 19, and it has taken forever to get here. Everything from about level 16 and up has taken way too long to even be enjoyable. At level 15, I bought a greater tome of learning, and really, didn't find that it made the leveling go much faster. To get from 18 to 19 was completely unenjoyable. Now I've largely lost the motivation to get to 20.

inb4 dont be a baby
inb4 stop complaining

The game is what you make it.

Easy answer here is don't grind for XP, just play and it will come. But if speed is your concern;

High XP/min Quests, suggestions given already. Add in a +50% XP pot...
Stone of XP with ALL available, store bought as well, XP buffs used at L8.
Change of pace from Quests, Challenges. First time 5-star can get you some good XP.

Again, the game is what you make it to be. If it is becoming a grind for you, stop grinding. It IS that simple. It is not a race, level cap will still be there, it is not going anyplace for awhile yet.

Play. Have fun while you do it too.

barecm
04-17-2013, 09:36 PM
I hate TRs. I really hate 2x+ TRs. However, what I have found is that you need to have more than one toon. One for TR when you feel like it. One maxed out toon for highend /raids when you feel like it.

bartharok
04-17-2013, 11:15 PM
I dont see it as a grind, since on high levels i tend to have short term objectives. That way i get the XP, but i dont really notice the grind since im doing something else than getting XP. The XP just ahppens.

karl_k0ch
04-18-2013, 08:37 AM
Again, the game is what you make it to be. If it is becoming a grind for you, stop grinding. It IS that simple. It is not a race, level cap will still be there, it is not going anyplace for awhile yet.

Play. Have fun while you do it too.

This. The same logic applies to getting raid loot. This is one of the nice things in this game: There are multiple kinds of endgame-like activities: TRing, eventually towards Completionist, raiding, farming twink gear for other toons (BtCoE and epic mats) as well as XPing for epic destinies.

All of these have some kind of grind aspect attached to them, but still they feel quite different; some of them are 'done' at some point, though (TRs and EDs).
If one of these feels to exhausting, you might try one of the others. Having multiple toons can help to diversify your game experience, too.

TasMagar
04-18-2013, 09:09 AM
I like playing the game for fun and not for far away goals. For me DDO is grindy so I chose to stay at end game and have fun with my monk . That was the best thing I did while playing ddo . Now I have muh more fun .

Second best choice I made was to forget about BB and play the game for fun . There I felt really good and fun .

So my suggestion is to play the game the way you like it . Everybody cares about BB ,but you should care about fun .

:)

ps : I used the word "fun" too much . I guess should be fun ...

TrinityTurtle
04-18-2013, 09:43 AM
There is an alternative to grindiness, although its not overly popular because it's slower, but you can cap a third life toon doing every quest on elite once, only needing to either grind out a few slayers or second quest runs at levels 14 and 17 becuase in the teen quest levels the list is small. I know, because I did it as an experiment to see. Each quest once and on to the next was fun and didn't feel grindy to me at all beyond the unescapable fact that I've been playing this game for four years and there are literally no quests or raids I have not done multiple times. And I used no xp potions on that life, just the 10% lesser spell tome I got on all my toons from the motu preorder, the voice, and the ship 5% buff of course. Basically I did it because someone once pmd me to the shut the hell up when I disagreed with him that you HAD to grind the huge xp quests over and over to level a 3rd life tr in a thread. I don't get mad, I prove my point. Next life I want to try doing hard and elite runs of every quest that does NOT have an epic version and see if I can cap without a ridiculous amount of sre's and still have first time bonuses on the epics. I succesfully did second life elite one and done skipping all quests with an epic, so I think an e/h run for a third life should work.

You don't have to try it of course, I just raise it as an alternative, especially since I believe you mentioned you are vip and therefore have access to all the quests. And if there are ones you really hate you can skip them with a few reruns of ones you like, it's a flexible plan. :) Sometimes the solution is how you approach the game. I like experimenting and dislike grinding quests, so I made an alternative option. Perhaps some form of permadeath or iron man variant where you run a toon with only what you pull, no auction house and no repairing, might bring some fun back into it for you.

gerardIII
04-18-2013, 09:49 AM

inb4 dont be a baby
inb4 stop complaining
my bookmarks :
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=349114
http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=3748605&postcount=29
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=367893

That's all I can contribute, I haven't TR'd in like a year.

ThePrincipal
04-18-2013, 09:50 AM
Yes, the game is too grindy. I recommend you go grind to level 20 in real life, so you can pay to win.

True words.

However, if you are stuck at lvl 19 IRL, then just play first life characters. It solves a lot of the grinding issues.

Uhtred_Stark
04-19-2013, 03:22 AM
The game would become so much friendlier if they would just eliminate the 3rd life TR xp requirement insanity and make every TR life the same as the first. 3 million and change is more than enough of a requirement. If they did this, server populations would instantly become more cordial, groups would be more fun and everyone would enjoy the game more. You wouldn't have people just losing interest at L18 and not playing for months. You wouldn't have people obsessed with quest completion times, bravery bonuses and in party deaths. I used to rack up lives on two characters but I don't really go beyond a 3rd TR on new characters now. Something I have found fun is taking a new character up to 25 in their 3 lives. This gives you 3 heroic lives and 3 epic lives. Just by default you unlock a ton of ED points to play around with and you have a real nice legend character that you go to spend some great levels with. Never really feels like a grind when you do that because you are mixing up epic levels and getting tons of great gear before you are TRing.

psykopeta
04-19-2013, 04:57 AM
my bookmarks :
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=349114
http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=3748605&postcount=29
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=367893

That's all I can contribute, I haven't TR'd in like a year.

u're exactly demonstrating him that ddo is grindy lol, think he isn't exactly an exp/min freak, so farm every quest in game 6 or more times is not a choice for him, neither me

Mastikator
04-19-2013, 08:53 AM
To OP: The game is grindy if you want multiple past life feats and/or rare and powerful raid items. Otherwise there's no grind at all.

bartharok
04-19-2013, 10:37 AM
I think what decides if the game is grindy or not is whether youre in a hurry or not. If you NEED to get somewhere or something the game gets grindy quickly. But if you just play it without a long term goal it doesnt get all that grindy at anyt point. Well.. the people you play with can affect the grindiness as well.

HungarianRhapsody
04-19-2013, 11:10 AM
Parts of it are *much* too grindy. All of the legacy Epic items are too grindy as far as I'm concerned. The close-to-top-end gear drops pretty quickly at the moment (all of the Gianthold items and all of the Forgotten Realms Epic items), but the old Epic stuff still takes just as long to grind out as it did when they were the absolute top end gear.

Barhai
04-29-2013, 02:03 PM
You know, contrary to the build you see all the time in the forums, you don't NEED to TR your character.
1)The xp grind is a lot less painful and in fact really fast when you just make first life.
2)There are many builds that work just great, even on EE with first life toon. Grinding 3 extra lives of pally so that your CSW goes from 200 to 230 is really not worth it for example.
3)Once epic, you don't need to cap all destinies. Yeah you might need to max one+level 1-2 to 4 and 1-2 to 3 (aka the long path of the sorcerer to shiradi)... Or not. You can do EE without 3 twist anyway.
Edit: and for every build that needs an "good luck getting it" item, there's several way to do it another way.* Yeah ESOS is nice, but there are several alternatives that ain't that far behind.
*I admit there are some exceptions. I try to make build that don't need one of these to function.

~Taeb
04-29-2013, 03:08 PM
honestly ddo is nothing like other mmo's that require a lot more grinding and the same thing over and over. i expect it in all games. Everything eventually turns into a grind or the same thing however you look at it. escort missions, kill this, defend this, stop this, etc. it all eventually repeats.

now to break that cycle of thinking is to set your mind set on how you want to do things or do you like to kill certain mobs do certain quests. try running some on different difficulties. honestly i have done the tr lives many times i usually farm running do all of vale elite/hard. run a few quests in reavers then im capped. also doing the dust chain as well.

i always find there was a lot of quests or things i did i skipped. i didnt even do all of my explorer runs or max some of them. Anyways if you mix and match a lot of the quests,challenges slayer you end up having plenty of xp.