PDA

View Full Version : My take on the new cleric enhancements

knightgf
04-12-2013, 01:56 AM
Well, I gotta say, after looking at the new cleric enhancements on Lamannia, I have to say it is 'interesting'. The question is though, "Is it interesting in a good or a bad way?" Well, actually, both! Let me go over some of the good, bad and ugly I've seen in the alpha preview.

First off, I want to say that there are a couple of nasty bugs. Oddly enough, the game has trouble keeping track of how many points I have spent, and it is causing some weird stuff to happen, such as the action point reminder in the top left part of the screen saying I have X many points when I dont. In addition, there seems to be a 'invalid' choice for selecting a tree; is that supposed to be my domain choice, or am I really restricted to two trees? Also, I thought the abilities at the bottom of the screen were supposed to be free? Did I miss something? Not to mention there also seems to be a gap in the healing and protection trees where the 'free' abilities are supposed to be, so im not sure if somethings missing or what. On a side note, I was also able to pick a cleric domain; were those supposed to make it into the enhancement pass or is that just a leftover from the last beta update?

Anyways, moving right along, what can I say that's good about what I see so far? Well, for one, there are a few new abilities I've seen that are noteworthy. On the healing domain, the cure focus, as well as the ability to regenerate turns like in the U.S. epic destiny and a few other things are nice. On the protection domain, there are a few nice personal abilities, such as a perma blur and blur SLA at the top tier, knockdown guard, the ability to use spells like close wounds, prayer, stalwart pack and command as SLA's (Though at a increased cooldown), and maybe a few other things. Its also simple to use, and is a bit easier to read than the previous enhancements. Overall, for a alpha version, its pretty good, but I certainly would not want to release this to live.

For the bad stuff, well...I haven't seen much in the way of offensive stuff here. I was seriously hoping to find enhancements that buff my offensive spells quite a bit. Also, I feel that the protection domain offers weak choices; to me, quite a bit of the enhancements offer just weak buffs that cost too many action points. It would be nice to use shield other as a powerful, but very short duration protection buff(Others cant attack you, and you cant attack?), or to be able to use a ability that absorbs 50% damage from another player to you. The protection tree doesn't seem like protection much because of how weak quite a bit of the abilities are, although the SLA's are quite good and some of the higher tier stuff is not bad.

I might also add that while the class enhancements trees are simple to use, it also changes around our current enhancements and tosses some out of the way. For example, currently I am able to use the divine intervention capstone enhancement because I am a pure cleric, but when this comes around, I may not be able to anymore because of how the trees are set up. It seems as if the advantages of being a pure cleric may be taken away; if anything, I really wish that getting a capstone enhancement is a seperate thing that doesn't look into how many action points you spend in what tree, but only if you are a pure cleric or not.

Overall, there certainly is work to be done with the cleric enhancements. Here is what I suggest be fixed with the enhancements:

Add more power to the protection domain.
Move perks around so clerics can be encouraged to cap without multi-classing.
Add more offensive stuff that boosts cleric's offensive spells.
Add a domain tree based on the feat we pick at character creation! Seriously, it kills me not to have it, especially when I can take them as feats!

CaptainSpacePony
04-12-2013, 08:36 AM
Protection does need a lot of work.

Matuse
04-12-2013, 09:39 AM
Protection is almost universally awful.

There's no offense tree, either for melee or casting. Divine Might is gone entirely.

The hjeal-mode option in the healing tree is offensive, in its wanton and punitive reduction to everything-that-is-not-healing.

That third tree begs to have something fill it. Domains would be nice. Pick a domain as a multi-enhancement selector on tier 1, then have branches going up to expand on the ability. The cost per tier would obviously need reworking, since you'd only be able to spend a couple of points.

And this goes for every class: A 4th tree window, for multiclass characters to use.

guardianx2009
04-12-2013, 10:42 AM
Is there any enhancements to boost Turn Undead? Or is that kicked to curb... again?

Clerics are supposed to be versatile with a wide variety of skills: TU, cast, melee, heal, etc.

Are all that's available now is heal and shield?

knightgf
04-12-2013, 11:29 AM
Is there any enhancements to boost Turn Undead? Or is that kicked to curb... again?

Clerics are supposed to be versatile with a wide variety of skills: TU, cast, melee, heal, etc.

Are all that's available now is heal and shield?

Well, there are enhancements to boost how many turns you have, the caster level you turn at, as well as being able to outright destroy undead instead of scaring them, but that's about it.

One thing I might add, the things you know on live are basically ripped apart and seperated to some degree. For example, Radiant Servant's healing aura and positive energy burst are both in different places; energy burst is supposed to be with the 'free' enhancements on the bottom, while healing aura is at the very top.

emtp
04-12-2013, 12:36 PM
Has anyone tested how mush their burst is doing on the test sever.

on test i was hiting auras around 48
burst was only hitting 150
spell power 338 for positive
on live i was hitting 72
brust 288
spell opower 237

the other thing is on test i have all destinies unlocked and have more sp unlocked as you can see above. Am i doing something wrong or were these two nerf bad. and yes i striped of all grear cause with the healing amp on live it hits for even more I just dont have the same grear on lam.

guardianx2009
04-12-2013, 04:18 PM
Well, there are enhancements to boost how many turns you have, the caster level you turn at, as well as being able to outright destroy undead instead of scaring them, but that's about it.

One thing I might add, the things you know on live are basically ripped apart and seperated to some degree. For example, Radiant Servant's healing aura and positive energy burst are both in different places; energy burst is supposed to be with the 'free' enhancements on the bottom, while healing aura is at the very top.

Thanks, I just saw the turn undead enhancements.. which is basically exactly the same as what is on live. Which means it is still useless in Epic Elite.. sigh.

Both healing/protector tree looks horrible.. everything is as you say ripped apart and separated. All the other abilities are quirky heal/parlor tricks (martydom?? seriously? lol)

My2Cents
04-13-2013, 09:44 PM
I just road-tested my first pure cleric on Lamma and I agree with everything that has been said. And I agree capstones should be apart from any one tree.

Protection needs work, no offensive melee or caster support, and so forth, more encouragement for pureness, the aura/burst split, etc.

Its a fine start. It's just needs substantial improvement.

And I do hope a dev makes one good pass just to make sure all prerequisites are listed properly for each tree for each class/race. It adds a little guesswork to our testing and I think it's not worth bug reporting each one. Would seem an obvious part of the process.

It's a good thing I'm not a fan of mashing keys for 20 second bursts, it freed up the points I needed on the human racial tree as I could just ignore those. I also ignored the Shield Other and "do unto other" type enhancements, in part because we're not grouping here on lam to test these anyway, and in part because I needed to conserve my points and I think those would tend to be situational at best. My experience with a cleric is somewhat limited, so maybe a veteran cleric could feed back more on that.

Ginarrbrik
04-14-2013, 12:49 PM

Don't forget the one that increases the rate that your turns regenerate, which is actually kinda useful. And the core enhancements at the bottom aren't exactly "free" cause you still hafta spend action points on them, unlike Epic Destinies. but i know what you mean and I agree.

as for the OP, the protection tree could use a little work. and the addition of an offensive casting tree would be EXCELLENT. but overall, considering it's just alpha (which people need to keep in mind) I'd say it all looks fairly promising. keep tweaking it and tweaking it and tweaking it some more and it'll be fine.