PDA

View Full Version : Enhancements: Event #1 – Dev Q&A

SqueakofDoom
04-10-2013, 06:03 PM
We are very excited for you to have the opportunity to get an Early Preview of the Enhancement revamp. I’m sure you will have lots of questions about the new Enhancements! All Racial Enhancements as well as Artificer, Cleric, Fighter, and Ranger Enhancements will be the first to reach Lamannia.

Vargouille, KookieKobold, and I will drop by to say "hello," answer questions, and chat! Show up on Lamannia on the following day and time and use "/joinchannel DevChat" to join in on the conversation!

Thursday, April 11th from 6:00pm to 8:00pm

All times are Eastern (GMT-5)

Smiles,
Squeak

bhgiant
04-10-2013, 06:51 PM
Question, will there be a character wipe? And can we get a text version of the enhancements ahead of time so we can start planning now?

Missing_Minds
04-10-2013, 06:52 PM
Will DDO ever have dragonscale OUTFITS!???

btolson
04-10-2013, 07:01 PM
I doubt there is going to be a character wipe but would appreciate it if confirmation is offered, because I am currently rolling up and AH-gearing a bunch of test toons and would not want all that busywork to go to waste.

*Also some tomes in the AH would be great!

SqueakofDoom
04-10-2013, 07:08 PM
Answers!

There will not be a character wipe tomorrow. We want to verify that the Old Enhancements to New Enhancements process is working as it should.
Sadly I do not have a text version of the Enhancements that I can share. Plus, I really would like to encourage you to view the new Enhancements in game and actually try them out! (Granted, they are arriving in the middle of the week, so I know you may not have the opportunity to view them until the weekend. :()
Unfortunately, it is highly unlikely that DDO will get Dragonscale outfits.
I will put +5 Ability Tomes on the Auction House tonight!

Vellrad
04-10-2013, 07:10 PM
Is there any chance to get Runesmith prestige for dwarves in the future?

Cernunan
04-10-2013, 07:13 PM
Answers!

There will not be a character wipe tomorrow. We want to verify that the Old Enhancements to New Enhancements process is working as it should.

Great, I have been saving up my transfers for this, just tried to copy 2 mains specifically for testing for this , and both failed. That leaves me 1 more attempt.

Missing_Minds
04-10-2013, 07:15 PM
*sigh* Well thanks for the answer, Squeak. It is appreciated.

*removes a few more months on how much longer he thinks he has left in this game* Those outfits could have done a lot to help keep me.

Small things matter after all.

Ovrad
04-10-2013, 07:16 PM

http://www.alexblauhorn.com/english/images/photos/sad_monk.jpg

:(

btolson
04-10-2013, 07:21 PM
Answers!

Sadly I do not have a text version of the Enhancements that I can share. Plus, I really would like to encourage you to view the new Enhancements in game and actually try them out! (Granted, they are arriving in the middle of the week, so I know you may not have the opportunity to view them until the weekend. :()
I will put +5 Ability Tomes on the Auction House tonight!

TY for the prompt communication!

shadereaper33
04-10-2013, 07:38 PM
So, is anyone else having issues getting the lamma client to install? I have tried a few times today, and I always get the error that pando media booster cannot connect to their server. I tried all of their fixes, as well as uninstalling and reinstalling pando, and nothing worked. Had a friend of mine also try and had the same results on his machine, so I don't think the problem is on my end. Curious if anyone else has tried to install lamma today, successfully or otherwise.

EnjoyTheJourney
04-10-2013, 07:39 PM
A few questions for tomorrow:

1. When you say "enhancements", do you mean the naughty kind? Is that why the term "action points" was picked?
2. Will oxygen masks and peer counseling opportunities be provided to those who need them, when the number of trees is announced?
3. Will the UI be so profoundly, dazzlingly simple that we'll need spouse or child aggro to return us to thinking about our daily lives?

Ganolyn
04-10-2013, 09:10 PM
Answers!

How about Blue Augment slots on DT armor?

Archangel666
04-10-2013, 09:14 PM
Question: Is there any chance that Rangers might finally get their Animal Companion? You do have some practice now with Arti's and Druids. (Oh and was it an intentional snub at those Ranger players who've wanted the pet since forever to have Druid Wolves be classed as Rangers?)

Momsboys
04-10-2013, 09:35 PM
Answers!

Just transform the Robe into a outfit...

bbqzor
04-10-2013, 10:31 PM
Answers!

Just a comment here. A text version of what they *should* be doing would be very useful.

We can all log in and read tool tips, and we can go look at the effects using them. But its a virtual certainty they will not all work as described. And some will probably work in a completely different way because we are using an older version of stuff you guys have already changed internally.

I say this because, time and again, we are told "things are corrected on our internal build" which never populate to live (madstone boots shaken anyone), and because plenty of destiny abilities *STILL* work differently than tool tips indicate or have tool tips which disagree in different windows (symmetric strikes anyone). And that doesn't even cover ones which work differently than expected, such as Rejuvenating Cocoon breaking invisibility, despite being a beneficial/healing effect which should not do so under any circumstances yet does there, probably because of some missed flag code side.

It is impossible to tell which tool tip should be right, which rules rejuve cocoon should be following, etc without being told, at some point, what we are supposed to be seeing.

I would strongly advocate for a write up of what its supposed to do. For once, let us know what to look for so we can find it and point it out instead of just guessing what doesn't match.

Make this enhancement pass a shining example of quality work, and not another half finished bug patch which months later we are still left living with. Epic destinies are a cool feature, but they are not polished. The game does not need another unproofed system patched in.

I understand not having time to go fix everything... but please fix this before it gets started. Now is the time to go in and mess with the code. Now is the time to fix all that without breaking anything, or without complicating something else. The more transparent you are about what we should be seeing, the more eyes you will have looking for errors and/or providing feedback. Otherwise, its just going to be a guessing game at every turn where things don't match up... and thats sure to be a lot of places. I understand this is only the first test pass, but the time to fix is before the bugs get too far. And the sooner we know what to watch for the better quality things will be in the end.

Hopefully, thanks.

Ovrad
04-10-2013, 11:33 PM

Ah but then they would lose the ability to change a tooltip and call it WAI when solving the bug looks like too much work.

...yeah, I'm looking at you Legendary Dreadnought with handwraps.

Jay203
04-10-2013, 11:40 PM

*removes a few more months on how much longer he thinks he has left in this game* Those outfits could have done a lot to help keep me.

haha, squeak said highly unlikely
not NEVER~~~ xD

Ziindarax
04-11-2013, 12:28 AM
How effective (or ineffective) would 12/6/2 builds become in light of the new enhancement pass?

Uska
04-11-2013, 01:07 AM
Question: Is there any chance that Rangers might finally get their Animal Companion? You do have some practice now with Arti's and Druids. (Oh and was it an intentional snub at those Ranger players who've wanted the pet since forever to have Druid Wolves be classed as Rangers?)

Rangers were given both melee and ranged bonus feats to replace the missing pets which one are you willing to give up to get a half-strength gimp pet?

blerkington
04-11-2013, 01:37 AM
Hi,

I'd like to second the call for text showing how enhancements are supposed to work.

All of my worst professional experiences with systems developers have been dealing with people who can't or won't document their work. I double special promise with a cherry on top that it will be useful both to you and to us.

Thanks.

Arlathen
04-11-2013, 01:43 AM
Rangers were given both melee and ranged bonus feats to replace the missing pets which one are you willing to give up to get a half-strength gimp pet?

For me, neither. Keep Ranger pets shelved, I'd rather have access to both combat styles.

Arlathen
04-11-2013, 01:44 AM
How effective (or ineffective) would 12/6/2 builds become in light of the new enhancement pass?

We'll get to see soon enough :)

I'm sure I'll find a lot to post about :)

LrdSlvrhnd
04-11-2013, 02:07 AM
(Oh and was it an intentional snub at those Ranger players who've wanted the pet since forever to have Druid Wolves be classed as Rangers?)

What gets me is even though they're rangers, you have to *purchase* Evasion, and you can't until L13... after purchasing 3 ranks of Trap Sense.

Some rangers they are...

I have said before, and I still maintain... rangers are hardly so overpowered that adding companions would require that, especially at the half-levels you seem to think is the only way to go.

And even if it did: I'd cheerfully give up ranged feats. Give me a perfectly valid reason to never pull out a bow on my Tempests. And 98% of AAs never switch to melee anyway. As long as the individual ranger got to choose which line to take, that would be perfectly acceptable... for a full-leveled pet, at least.

Uska
04-11-2013, 02:34 AM
What gets me is even though they're rangers, you have to *purchase* Evasion, and you can't until L13... after purchasing 3 ranks of Trap Sense.

Some rangers they are...

I have said before, and I still maintain... rangers are hardly so overpowered that adding companions would require that, especially at the half-levels you seem to think is the only way to go.

And even if it did: I'd cheerfully give up ranged feats. Give me a perfectly valid reason to never pull out a bow on my Tempests. And 98% of AAs never switch to melee anyway. As long as the individual ranger got to choose which line to take, that would be perfectly acceptable... for a full-leveled pet, at least.

Your wrong on evasion rangers get it for free at level 9 and they dont have to use any enhancement points to get it and even full strength pets are annoying and useless I would hate to see more in the party cluttering up my screen with their soon to be dead bodies.

Ranger pets are half strength by pnp they should in no way get equal to arties and druids

Uska
04-11-2013, 02:37 AM
For me, neither. Keep Ranger pets shelved, I'd rather have access to both combat styles.

I find pets annoying anyways I approve of getting both styles myself

Ovrad
04-11-2013, 02:39 AM
Your wrong on evasion rangers get it for free at level 9 and they dont have to use any enhancement points to get it and even full strength pets are annoying and useless I would hate to see more in the party cluttering up my screen with their soon to be dead bodies.

I was about to post a similar response, but noticed he was talking about pets having to buy evasion even though they are 'considered' rangers.

And personally, the less pets there are in the game the happier I am.

Azara
04-11-2013, 03:51 AM
Here's the thing:

1 - Rangers DO get pets as PART OF THEIR CLASS! Just like Artificers. Just like Druids. Get over it.

2 - Paladins get mounts as PART OF THEIR CLASS. We have yet to see mounts OF ANY KIND.

3 - Sorcerers and Wizards get familiars as PART OF THEIR CLASS. We have yet to see those either.

So your wish to keep the "pet classes" to a minimum has already been over-written by THE PLAYER'S HANDBOOK and Turbine would be stupid to keep promising these additions only to never add them (I do however remember a promise of the Warlocks coming to the game 4 years ago that still has yet to materialize).

Ryiah
04-11-2013, 04:43 AM
Rangers DO get pets as PART OF THEIR CLASS! Just like Artificers. Just like Druids. Get over it.

Turbine's original stance was they either didn't have the code in place to handle animal companions or simply did not want to be bothered. Either way instead they gave us the ability to have both melee and ranged bonus feats for free. As part of their class, Rangers are supposed to be required to choose one path.

I would rather have both melee and ranged than a pet that is worthless to anyone playing on a difficulty higher than casual.

Fecerak
04-11-2013, 04:49 AM
Could you give a source for any of those promises? Because I cannot remember ever seeing the promises of any of them, and I often view the dev tracker. I cannot remember a dev ever stating that we would eventually get familiars/paladin mounts/ranger pets/warlocks.

Also:
This is not PnP. Sure, rangers in PnP would get animal companions as part of their class. However, they would not get both archery and TWF feats. Considering how useless the pets are (IMO anyway) a pet that's half the strength of the druid pets that I'd basically just use as lever pullers is not worth losing RS/MS/IPS or TWF/iTWF/gTWF for.

Dieterstrife
04-11-2013, 04:50 AM
Here's the thing:

1 - Rangers DO get pets as PART OF THEIR CLASS! Just like Artificers. Just like Druids. Get over it.

2 - Paladins get mounts as PART OF THEIR CLASS. We have yet to see mounts OF ANY KIND.

3 - Sorcerers and Wizards get familiars as PART OF THEIR CLASS. We have yet to see those either.

So your wish to keep the "pet classes" to a minimum has already been over-written by THE PLAYER'S HANDBOOK and Turbine would be stupid to keep promising these additions only to never add them (I do however remember a promise of the Warlocks coming to the game 4 years ago that still has yet to materialize).

If you read some of the info about this game, it states a simple fact about rangers:

Rangers were granted access to both Ranged combat and Two Weapon fighting instead of being granted a pet.

Now, which are you going to give up: Two Weapon Fighting or All ranged feats? I'm perfectly fine with them not getting a pet, I'm none to fond of the druid and arti pets as is.

I will say though, I wouldn't mind mounts in the game but it's currently not expansive enough to justify needing to move like that

Azara
04-11-2013, 04:54 AM
ACTUALLY, there is no rule anywhere in D&D that states you cannot follow both paths as a Ranger. You only get the feats for one of them for free, but you can still take the feats for the other as selected feats.

I would say that it is high time Turbine went to a strict 3.5 edition stance. Half-Elf Dilettante is NOT part of 3.5, it was introduced in 4th edition. So at BEST what we have now is some amalgamated bastardized half-breed that truly fits nowhere in either game. Is it playable? Yes. Is it D&D? Not so much.

I understand changes and "compromises" have to be made to bring it to a video game equivalent, but Neverwinter managed to do it WITHOUT compromising the game mechanic structure that made it D&D in ALL 3 of their incarnations! Turbine could take a lesson.

Ryiah
04-11-2013, 05:03 AM
ACTUALLY, there is no rule anywhere in D&D that states you cannot follow both paths as a Ranger. You only get the feats for one of them for free, but you can still take the feats for the other as selected feats.

For starters, this is not D&D. This is DDO. As for adding back the other path via selected feats, that really isn't viable with the heavy feat requirements for Tempest and Arcane Archer. Even if you could fit them in you would still be gimping yourself in some fashion. All for a pet that is worthless in any meaningful content.

Fecerak
04-11-2013, 05:07 AM
Neverwinter (not talking about the MMO, which doesn't seem to have character customization from what I've heard anyways, which doesn't make it PnP in any way shape or form to me) also is a single player game. When you are making a singleplayer game different rules apply compared to when you are making a MMO. In single player class balance isn't as important, repeating quests/dungeons/raids, etc. doesn't necessarily have to be something one can do and loads of other things.

And while you can take both types of feats as a ranger, who would do that? The thing is that if that change went through and rangers would have to specialize in exchange for getting a pet, it would likely be a huge nerf to the class overall.

If you really think NwN is that much better, go play that instead then, or make your own computer game version of DnD.

Nephilia
04-11-2013, 05:10 AM

That's pretty much what the other guys are saying to u... In pnp u get one line of damage for free and u've to spend feats for the other one (if u care). Here in DDO u get both lines for free.
The pet would be really worthless and in case u're going for tempest u should waste almost all the feats u've to get both the PrE and the TWF line.
If u really really really want a little wolf that follow u and contribute near to 0 in contents just farm 250 pdk favor :D
Heck they could even jump and dance all around with a shiny sprinkling dust following 'em (and they can dress a big top!!!) :D :D :D

I would say that it is high time Turbine went to a strict 3.5 edition stance. Half-Elf Dilettante is NOT part of 3.5, it was introduced in 4th edition. So at BEST what we have now is some amalgamated bastardized half-breed that truly fits nowhere in either game. Is it playable? Yes. Is it D&D? Not so much.

And this was one of their best move since Helf in 3.5 were a worthless race. The introduction of dilettante was a great choice since here Helf are not only useful but, for certain purposes and builds, one of the best race.
About the D&D facts one could even state that enhancement system is nowhere in no D&D editions so the game itself it's a half bastardization :)

I understand changes and "compromises" have to be made to bring it to a video game equivalent, but Neverwinter managed to do it WITHOUT compromising the game mechanic structure that made it D&D in ALL 3 of their incarnations! Turbine could take a lesson

But it was not a MMO, isn't it? ;)

Azara
04-11-2013, 05:16 AM
Actually, the current incarnation (based on 4th edition) is an MMO and as a beta tester for it I can attest that it stays fairly close to the PnP.

CarpeNoctu
04-11-2013, 05:24 AM
Thursday, April 11th from 6:00pm to 9:00pm

1am to 4am for me... Looks like I'll be getting up a couple of hours early.

Truga
04-11-2013, 05:52 AM
Actually, the current incarnation (based on 4th edition) is an MMO and as a beta tester for it I can attest that it stays fairly close to the PnP.

Unfortunately, 4th edition is a steaming pile, so staying close isn't really a good thing.

Svartelric
04-11-2013, 06:57 AM

Lol, passive-aggressive behaviour galore!

Archangel666
04-11-2013, 07:08 AM

Yes.

patang01
04-11-2013, 07:27 AM
If you read some of the info about this game, it states a simple fact about rangers:

Rangers were granted access to both Ranged combat and Two Weapon fighting instead of being granted a pet.

Now, which are you going to give up: Two Weapon Fighting or All ranged feats? I'm perfectly fine with them not getting a pet, I'm none to fond of the druid and arti pets as is.

I will say though, I wouldn't mind mounts in the game but it's currently not expansive enough to justify needing to move like that

I agree - I rather do both as a ranger so that rangers can be competitative in dps, then a gimp pet like my Arti's. It's a cute idea but giving up ranger versitility for something with limited functionality seems silly.

Missing_Minds
04-11-2013, 07:46 AM
Negative. Not like. Half level. They also don't get both combat styles either. Fair trade off.

No disagreement, nor is there anything extra they get in turn for not getting their mount.

True, however, wizards get an extra meta magic feat, and sorcs get shorter spell timers.

I remember no such promise of warlocks ever. A lot of player hope, but no such promise of warlocks. Nor have they ever promised to add the above. Again, a lot of player hope and want.

Cernunan
04-11-2013, 08:41 AM

I would just like to say that I would NOT be happy to give up the feats. 6 ranger deep splash in today's end game environment is an extremely worthwhile investment for those of us who understand the current multi class system.
Of corse that may change with today's revamp, but until I see what is coming, I am firmly in the camp of no useless half class level gimp pet trading for top end DPS splashing.

Uska
04-11-2013, 08:50 AM
Here's the thing:

In pnp rangers have to chose between ranged and melee here they don't its what they got instead of a half strength gimp pet.

And they never promised or even gave a hint of adding warlocks though a lot of people have asked for them but an equal number or more are against them

Uska
04-11-2013, 08:53 AM
I was about to post a similar response, but noticed he was talking about pets having to buy evasion even though they are 'considered' rangers.

And personally, the less pets there are in the game the happier I am.

Oh I did get that :o and had zero idea that pets are considered rangers I thought they just were annoying

Archangel666
04-11-2013, 08:55 AM
In pnp rangers have to chose between ranged and melee here they don't its what they got instead of a half strength gimp pet.

And in PnP players don't fight 200+ enemies in the space of an hour, To-Hit isn't rolled on a d100 and then converted to d20 for show, AC works and so on.

What's your point? (Other than you simply don't want Rangers to have Animal Companions).

Uska
04-11-2013, 08:57 AM

I understand changes and "compromises" have to be made to bring it to a video game equivalent, but Neverwinter managed to do it WITHOUT compromising the game mechanic structure that made it D&D in ALL 3 of their incarnations! Turbine could take a lesson.

Sorry NWO is a terrible game and isn't rally based on 4E it uses a modified CO engine

Uska
04-11-2013, 09:01 AM
Yes.

If they did I would never play a ranger again or accept one in any of my lfm's I hesitate to accept Druids now because of their pets Artie's I take because they more than make up for their annoying pets which most of the smart ones don't even pull out

Archangel666
04-11-2013, 09:06 AM
If they did I would never play a ranger again or accept one in any of my lfm's I hesitate to accept Druids now because of their pets Artie's I take because they more than make up for their annoying pets which most of the smart ones don't even pull out

That's fine. I feel no overwhelming desire to run with you anyway, so let's go for it.

Just out of curiosity, how many Rangers do you currently run? (And I don't count 6 levels of Ranger/14 levels of anything that's not a Ranger, as a Ranger).

Paleus
04-11-2013, 09:27 AM
I'd like to second the call for text showing how enhancements are supposed to work.

All of my worst professional experiences with systems developers have been dealing with people who can't or won't document their work.

My take on this is that its likely the developers have documented their work internally. However, when it comes to testing its probably better that players don't have that documentation, at least for the first round of lammania. When the system goes live the majority of players in game don't bother reading the forums so their experience with the system would not include carefully reading through documentation released on the forums, but rather straight up messing with the system in game. The system therefore needs to stand on its own merits inside the game. So if people in lammania look over the system without the aid of documentation and come back going "my gods, what have you wrought this is incomprehensible," that would be better information than having them go in with documentation that helps them figure out the system better.

Mercureal
04-11-2013, 09:30 AM
Just a comment here. A text version of what they *should* be doing would be very useful.

We can all log in and read tool tips, and we can go look at the effects using them. But its a virtual certainty they will not all work as described. And some will probably work in a completely different way because we are using an older version of stuff you guys have already changed internally.

...<snip> ...And the sooner we know what to watch for the better quality things will be in the end.

Hopefully, thanks.

Well said. A very articulate and contructive comment. Hopefully the discussions in the days to come will look more like this, and less like the pointless arguments that forum threads so often become...

Matuse
04-11-2013, 10:39 AM
What's your point? (Other than you simply don't want Rangers to have Animal Companions).

Existing full strength pets are almost completely useless. Why would you want to give up anything to get a pet that operates at half that level?

For giggles, I summoned a Hezrou and took it into elite kobold assault. It took it FIVE HITS to kill a single kobold. That's the mighty offensive power of a level 9 spell pet.

You want something far worse than that? Why?

Archangel666
04-11-2013, 10:58 AM
Existing full strength pets are almost completely useless. Why would you want to give up anything to get a pet that operates at half that level?

For giggles, I summoned a Hezrou and took it into elite kobold assault. It took it FIVE HITS to kill a single kobold. That's the mighty offensive power of a level 9 spell pet.

Short answer? Because it fits my playstyle.

Could Pets and Summons use a buff? Of course they could, but them needing a buff doesn't invalidate their potential use.

The more I play on my Druid, the more I feel that Rangers should have them.

Grosbeak07
04-11-2013, 11:01 AM

Just shows you know nothing about those classes in DDO honestly. The pets are useless, the classes are not. So you don't take a class because of the pet? Really?

Scraap
04-11-2013, 11:06 AM

I'd kinda like to see em take a hard look at the underperforming aspects of gameplay, myself so that there is an expanded variety of approaches for replay value purposes. So things like summons, offensive traps, debuffing cost/rate ect. Guess we'll see how much system vs number-twiddling has gotten done thusfar shortly.

Xanstrollinoax
04-11-2013, 11:07 AM
Edit:

If your having the start issue this may work.

1. Uninstall Pando
2. Stat the regular ddo client BUT don't log in.
3. Start the lamannia downloader...pando should start.

Hope this helps.

Xanstrollinoax
04-11-2013, 12:27 PM
Edited my last post with help for my fellow pando start bug sufferers. Best of luck to all and I hope this is as awesome as we hope :).

rdasca
04-11-2013, 01:05 PM
For those arguing about Ranger pets, I suggest you listen to the PAX interview Steiner-Davion did, you might be surprised as to the answer to that question (and the one about Wizard familiars.)

Interview part is the last 40 minutes or so:

http://www.ddocast.com/2013/03/ddocast-275/

LrdSlvrhnd
04-11-2013, 02:35 PM
Your wrong on evasion rangers get it for free at level 9

And if you had read my post instead of blindly rage-negging me (and don't try to deny that you were the one who neg-repped my post) you'd've realized that that particular comment? Was replying to druid pets, who're labeled as rangers. But don't get evasion for free, but instead get it as a purchasable enhancement at level 13. Hence my "some rangers they are" comment.

Just because *you* don't want them doesn't mean they're automatically useless. Get over yourself, please.

SilkofDrasnia
04-11-2013, 08:04 PM

*snip*

Just curious but what did paladins get instead of mounts?

mystafyi
04-11-2013, 10:17 PM
Just curious but what did paladins get instead of mounts?

the shaft

Aussir
04-11-2013, 10:35 PM
We're all just getting the shaft and being pigeon-holed into roles.
Fixed that for you.

SilkofDrasnia
04-11-2013, 10:43 PM
the shaft

Ah I thought we already got that several times over lol, I guess it stacks hmm

Aussir
04-12-2013, 05:08 AM
I can think of several words to describe these changes and every single one of them would get me a forum timeout if I were to post them...

Ryiah
04-12-2013, 05:28 AM

Not surprising as 4th edition is pretty much designed to be easily adapted into a computer game.

Purkilius
04-12-2013, 06:04 AM

I never see Druids pull their pets out except for lower levels, I used mine to learn to heal others lol.