PDA

View Full Version : Monk Enhancement/AP assistance needed

AStormbringer
04-01-2013, 05:13 PM
32 point, Human (dark) Monk. Level 13. WIS focus, not Finesse. Went with the standard 15/15/15/8/15/8 start in ability points. Extra leveling points into WIS as well as the first Human Adaptability. +3 tombs for Str, Dex, con, Wis.

So my questions: I spent the action points to pick up WIS 1&2 but for WIS 3 it costs 6 AP's. That seems like a pretty big AP expense for 1 point. Is it worth it?

Along those lines, is it worth the 4 AP's to pick up another Human Adapt. and if so, which ability should I pick?

Thanks.

TeacherSyn
04-01-2013, 06:24 PM
32 point, Human (dark) Monk. Level 13. WIS focus, not Finesse. Went with the standard 15/15/15/8/15/8 start in ability points. Extra leveling points into WIS as well as the first Human Adaptability. +3 tombs for Str, Dex, con, Wis.

So my questions: I spent the action points to pick up WIS 1&2 but for WIS 3 it costs 6 AP's. That seems like a pretty big AP expense for 1 point. Is it worth it?

Along those lines, is it worth the 4 AP's to pick up another Human Adapt. and if so, which ability should I pick?

Thanks.

Here's my take:

AP for Monk Wisdom is too expensive. Many of your abilities come from the enhancements, specifically Void Strike and the elemental stances/strikes. Now that Epic levels are here, items that add greater WIS, and quests that give you a shot at +4 and even +5 tomes, make using AP on WIS not such a good idea.

Another strike against using AP for lots of WIS is that these points do not count for Vorpal Strikes, an excellent Epic feat that requires a natural WIS 23 (tomes and natural points only, not enhancements).

That said, it doesn't mean you don't need WIS. If you see a need and AP is the only way to go, do it. But if you can get a second Grandmaster with the points (Ocean is a favorite now), do that. Void Strike IV is also worthy still, but if you haven't the points and aren't gunning for IV, save your points and take only Void I for its finishers.

Same answer for Human Adaptability and Greater Adaptability. While you can always reset your AP and experiment, your AP often is better suited to enhancing your Monk's innate powers of attack, in my opinion.

If there are two stats I'd promote more after WIS, it's (in order) DEX and STR. DEX helps your AC and Reflex save--the key to making Dodge and Evasion actually work: simply owning the feat doesn't guarantee it works. STR really helps your overall damage per hit. A 30 or higher STR is very helpful in Epic.

You need at least 500 HP for a survivable Epic toon, but 600+ is better--provided your Reflex is high and you can add to Dodge, Concealment, Incorporeality and (depending on your stance, Epic Destiny, feats and items) PRR.