PDA

View Full Version : Guilds should be able to charge plat for invites.

Brendae
03-28-2013, 05:44 AM
I was thinking that it would be a great idea to add value for guilds if they were able to charge platinum for invites.

One of the biggest benefits to a guild is the guild buff system which is often neutralised by the ability of a person to just get invited to a ship and get those benefits. Since there is a cost associated to those buffs it only makes sense that a guild can recoup costs by charging for the service.

How I foresee this working is that when a player is invited to a ship they are informed of the cost (Set by the guild which would be able to price themselves out of the market if they don't want non-guild members to go on board.). If the player accepts the invite the money is deducted from their account and deposited into the guild's coffers and the player boards.

From a development perspective it is a small non-invasive change (and another mechanism to act as a plat sink to reduce inflation if required.), and from a player perspective it makes belonging to a guild a valuable asset. The guilds benefit by having their buffs subsidised and buffs can become a valuable commodity. You will also reduce guild invite spam in pugs because suddenly there is a real cost associated to it.

Menace13
03-28-2013, 06:04 AM
You could just ask for a toll now as is?

Brendae
03-28-2013, 06:19 AM
I'll be honest, I don't have a ship (I'm in a one man guild working towards one.) and I pug a bit and ask for invites occasionally and I've never been asked for a toll. (Although I have wanted to donate or give something back to guilds I have sponged off but there is no way of doing this.) I think that a formal mechanism set by the guild leader and enforced by the system would be good.

Standal
03-28-2013, 06:30 AM
I'll be honest, I don't have a ship (I'm in a one man guild working towards one.) and I pug a bit and ask for invites occasionally and I've never been asked for a toll. (Although I have wanted to donate or give something back to guilds I have sponged off but there is no way of doing this.) I think that a formal mechanism set by the guild leader and enforced by the system would be good.

As an officer in a level 90 guild I think it's garbage. Why would I charge you to visit my ship? That's like me asking you over to my house to watch a ballgame and then charging you $5 to compensate me for using my television.

You also aren't sponging off of us in any meaningful way. If the group isn't waiting on you to buff at the door, it's really no issue for you to use our buffs. You don't wear them out. We're going to pay exactly the same for them whether you use them or not.

If you want to repay the guilds you have "sponged off", please become a fun, skilled cheerful player. That's more than enough payment for using our buffs.

Argila
03-28-2013, 06:42 AM
/not signed

Lvl 80 guild ship and never asked for plat to invite someone and the idea never crossed my mind.
I invite someone to help them out not to make a profit of it.

Besides, if you want to make a profit from it, you can always ask the money at front and then invite.

Therigar
03-28-2013, 06:46 AM
It is amazing how even the most ill thought out ideas are viewed by some people as exceptionally brilliant.

Providing buffs to non-guild members is not a requirement, no guild has to let others aboard.

Yet, almost all guilds do. Why is that?

IMO it is because those guilds recognize that they benefit by being generous to the other players.

The quests run smoother when everyone has guild buffs. And, the guild itself gains in server reputation by its willingness to help others.

Certainly, if a guild wanted to be known as elitist and greedy, it could ask for payment now. Yet, AFAIK, no guild does this.

That ought to be reason enough for us to understand that this "brilliant" idea isn't.

SableShadow
03-28-2013, 06:54 AM
Although I have wanted to donate or give something back to guilds I have sponged off but there is no way of doing this.

Your trade window is broken? Bug report it.

and from a player perspective it makes belonging to a guild a valuable asset.

Already is. The amenities are just very nice icing on the cake.

CavernDragon
03-28-2013, 07:10 AM
I have been offered10k plat to ues our ships 3 shroud alters, no way would i take plat for someone to advance there toons dps. Free ship invites for all

Brendae
03-28-2013, 07:26 AM
Ok, fair enough. We're all entitled to a bad idea from time to time.

As for the trade windows,etc. I thought it would be nice to pass the money directly to the guild account and not a player's account so that it goes directly to the guild itself.

SableShadow
03-28-2013, 07:33 AM
Ok, fair enough. We're all entitled to a bad idea from time to time.

Traveler knows I've put my share on these boards. ;)

As for the trade windows,etc. I thought it would be nice to pass the money directly to the guild account and not a player's account so that it goes directly to the guild itself.

If there were a central "guild fund for amenities" that would make sense, but...

Ok, new suggestion: create a guild fund for amenities that automatically renews them as long as there are funds available. Guild members can contribute and the amenities keep refreshing auto-magically as long as there's cash in the coffer.

Bekki
03-28-2013, 08:01 AM
Uhhh... No.

I'm sorry, I think that is a bad idea.
You join a guild because you like the people, and you share the
Same personality, and a like minded sense of what is fun in the game.

Because you're a good fit with the other people in the guild
And you all feel that it would be fun to game together...

As soon as you introduce the notion of "charging" for admission...
That goodwill all goes out the window.... "Donations are welcome, but not required"
That is fine and can help support the guild, but it does evoke that same... Hubris...

This is one I cannot get behind, sorry.

Hafeal
03-28-2013, 08:07 AM
Ok, new suggestion: create a guild fund for amenities that automatically renews them as long as there are funds available. Guild members can contribute and the amenities keep refreshing auto-magically as long as there's cash in the coffer.

This I like. In the guilds I am in, the leaders tend to take care of all the business and spend the plat. Now grant you, plat is not hard to come by - but even so - it would be nice to have a guild fund to auto renew plat purchased amenities which any guild member could make a deposit into. My guild leaders never ask for plat - but sometimes the gift is in the giving. :)

Memnir
03-28-2013, 08:16 AM
Guild Tip Jar.

Guild Members can add to the Tip Jar to help fund amenities - visitors can pay what they wish for the invite to the buffet.
http://i.imgur.com/o1eicoo.jpg
One caveat, however... it takes up a Large hookpoint. If a guild wants one, fine... but they lose something else that could be going in that spot instead.

CaptainSpacePony
03-28-2013, 08:27 AM
Bad idea.

If you think it nessesary to extort plat from party members for a ship invite, meet them at the portal, open a trade window, and demand payment in advance.

My guess is you'll be party leader a lot. That way you can't get kicked from the party.

TrinityTurtle
03-28-2013, 08:57 AM
One of the biggest benefits to a guild is the guild buff system which is often neutralised by the ability of a person to just get invited to a ship and get those benefits. Since there is a cost associated to those buffs it only makes sense that a guild can recoup costs by charging for the service.

The thing I would like to point out here, is that there is no cost per use. Inviting these people onto the boat does not cost your guild a copper. What you are proposing is not recouping the cost to a guild for the one time use of a non guildie, you are proposing that non-guildies pay the cost for the constant use of the buffs by guildies on their own ships. The only way non-guildies would be paying thier own way and not the guildies way is if there was a per-use fee to the shrines and not a fixed monthly rate that does not vary as is the case now.

From a development perspective it is a small non-invasive change (and another mechanism to act as a plat sink to reduce inflation if required.),

This is no more a plat sink than the current guildies pay for the shrine. The ONLY impact this would have on the plat economy of the game is who is paying the fees for the shrines. Example: let's say a shrine cost 100plat. Current system: Someone in the guild pays the 100 plat, money goes from the game. Your system: 10 players pay 10 plat each over the month, 100 plat leaves the game. This will have ZERO effect on inflation.

shadereaper33
03-28-2013, 08:58 AM
No.

Kalari
03-28-2013, 09:02 AM
um no and even with my stance on people who beg for invites (I am not a fan of those and tend to ignore them) there are plenty of nicer people who do not mind ship invites. If you don't want the filthy masses on your fancy boat don't invite them. There are plenty of high level peeps who will share their ship perks with others.

Charging a plat toll for basically being nice? Thats like me saying "okay you want protective buffs from my arcane or divine pony up."

Sorry but no just no

fco-karatekid
03-28-2013, 09:11 AM
...One caveat, however... it takes up a Large hookpoint. If a guild wants one, fine... but they lose something else that could be going in that spot instead.

You've been reading FoS items too much :D

Although the first part I really do like. No pressure, but allows to show common courtesy. If it's good enough for the Alamo, it should be good enough for our ships :D

Insofar as OP and making it a mandatory control of some sort - no.

Therigar
03-28-2013, 09:32 AM

:)

This is an idea worth supporting.

Make it a dialog option at the ship's captain. When chosen it opens a window to allow plat deposits -- maybe with a guild/guest subtree.

CaptainSpacePony
03-28-2013, 09:32 AM
Charging a plat toll for basically being nice? Thats like me saying "okay you want protective buffs from my arcane or divine pony up."

That reminds me of my days on Khyber. While by and large the players on Khyber were terrific, helpful, and fun, there was an infamous cleric known server wide. He would say and do things like, "I will heal your shroud raid for 60k plat." I always felt an approriate reply would be, "No problem, but, I want all your chest loot, and since I'm a DPS toon, you compensate me 50 plat for each point of damage I deal."

CaptainSpacePony
03-28-2013, 09:37 AM
Guild Tip Jar.

I may be out of touch, but are there really guilds that can't afford their ship ammenities? I am the only "truely active" member of my tiny guild and I have no problem paying plat for a fully stocked (for lvl 56) airship entirely by myself. I assume higher level guilds harvest more plat than I do (since they've harvested more reknown) and don't have a problem making their payments.

Is this really a problem--are the "Fat Cat" guilds spending all their plat on http://hookersandblow.org/?

Missing_Minds
03-28-2013, 09:40 AM
It is amazing how even the most ill thought out ideas are viewed by some people as exceptionally brilliant.
*shrugs* Some people see $$$, others see communal effort.

Uska
03-28-2013, 09:52 AM
No! I am happy to invite anyone to the Eagle's ship it doesnt cost us to have people use the ship stuff any more than it does to have them not use it.

Kalari
03-28-2013, 10:00 AM
That reminds me of my days on Khyber. While by and large the players on Khyber were terrific, helpful, and fun, there was an infamous cleric known server wide. He would say and do things like, "I will heal your shroud raid for 60k plat." I always felt an approriate reply would be, "No problem, but, I want all your chest loot, and since I'm a DPS toon, you compensate me 50 plat for each point of damage I deal."

Clerics like that **** me off, they started lumping all of us into that nonsense specially those who would demand pots up front for healing raids..um no let me show you what I can do then if you feel you need to compensate or replenish my stock fine.

But I swear stuff like this drives me up a wall charging for something that other players will freely give will just give the Op and his guild a rep they may not want.

Mastikator
03-28-2013, 10:16 AM
Guild Tip Jar.

Guild Members can add to the Tip Jar to help fund amenities - visitors can pay what they wish for the invite to the buffet.
http://i.imgur.com/o1eicoo.jpg
One caveat, however... it takes up a Large hookpoint. If a guild wants one, fine... but they lose something else that could be going in that spot instead.

I really like this idea. Would love for this to exist.

danzig138
03-28-2013, 11:23 AM

I don't hate this idea, but I think you'd have to set a select on each amenity for it to auto renew or not. For example, on our ship, an auto-renewing cold res shrine would be spiffy. Because no one ever changes it. But there is a constant (and annoying) switching back and forth between the alter of invasion and the stone of change (because taking an extra 30 seconds to run to the 12 is too much effort I guess), so auto-renewal might not work on that.

But it's a solid idea for sure. I surely do not have a problem with tossing some plat towards the amenities, and this would sure make it convenient.

KingKoz
03-28-2013, 06:56 PM

Providing buffs to non-guild members is not a requirement, no guild has to let others aboard.

Yet, almost all guilds do. Why is that?

IMO it is because those guilds recognize that they benefit by being generous to the other players.

The quests run smoother when everyone has guild buffs. And, the guild itself gains in server reputation by its willingness to help others.

Certainly, if a guild wanted to be known as elitist and greedy, it could ask for payment now. Yet, AFAIK, no guild does this.

That ought to be reason enough for us to understand that this "brilliant" idea isn't.

Well said! Agree totally

susiedupfer
03-29-2013, 08:23 AM
/not signed

I think this goes against everything I, personally, and my guild stands for. The reasons are enumerated in previous replies.

Qhualor
03-29-2013, 08:53 AM
Anyone is welcome on my guild ship if they want to craft, buff or just shoot the **** free of charge. Just ask when im not in a quest.