PDA

View Full Version : Gearing my monk and FvS

Laeelin
03-25-2013, 12:17 AM
I've started playing again, and I would like some gear advice.

My monk (16): http://my.ddo.com/character/orien/laeelin/
My FvS (18): http://my.ddo.com/character/orien/sorun/

I'm not sure what I should be looking for most. Basically I'm looking for gear from now till starting epics.

Thank you!

Archangel666
03-25-2013, 12:26 AM
If you have access to the Canith Challenges I highly recommend the gear from there for your Monk. It's excellent for the level and at level 16 the Frozen Tunic gains +1 Enhanced Ki, which can't be found on anything else below level 18 (Tower of Despair Necklace and Canith Necklace who's name has momentarily escaped me). Bracers of the Wind (Which give perma Blur and a few other goodies, and other items). Be aware that the Wraps from the Challenges are pretty much useless against Dragons, because you'll probably have a caster in the party when fighting them and the Wraps are bugged and have a DoT which wipes some Arcane DoT's.

For your FvS, unless it's seriously deficient in gear I wouldn't worry too much, just get it to 20 and start on the Eveningstar Commendation gear, it's decent for its level, easy to get and a good stepping stone for better stuff.

TeacherSyn
03-25-2013, 07:43 AM
I've started playing again, and I would like some gear advice.

My monk (16): http://my.ddo.com/character/orien/laeelin/
My FvS (18): http://my.ddo.com/character/orien/sorun/

I'm not sure what I should be looking for most. Basically I'm looking for gear from now till starting epics.

Thank you!

Hey there.

Armor: Run Gianthold Tor for 20 White Dragon Scales and build the hardy White Dragonscale Robe. This has Heavy Fortification, like the Garments of Equilibrium, but far stronger overall AC including a Shield bonus (which you normally can't get as a Monk).

Trinket: The Voice is OK at the end, but unless you're desperate to keep a little extra reflex from its Luck bonus, consider a Devotion item, a crafted Melee Alacrity 10%, or combine them as both. Outside of crafting, if you're not a Light Monk that can blur themselves, a Dusk Heart isn't bad there, or a Blood Stone, or practically anything that adds a bit more to attacks.

Noted that you have a quiver; you're using a bow from time to time? Do note that, as you go into Epics, that the Monk-aligned Grandmaster of Flowers destiny isn't very compatible with bow effects. You'll need Sharadi Champion for that (once unlocked).

Goggles: The Optics you have are good, but it's time to look for True Seeing effects to fight off mages that love to go blurry and thwart attacks (you might have this already somewhere not shown).

That Chord of Reprisals (first I've seen of it) is perfect for adding a PRR, Deathblock, Improved False Life and/or Heavy Fortification gems, allowing you to have some flex in swapping out your Cloak of Night from time to time. The Ghostly on that item is valuable, so I'd not part with it in heavy fighting.

Handwraps: Adjust your handwraps to your Monk stance. Burst effects won't go off without Improved Critical: Bludgeoning or a perfect 20 or Greater Mountain Stance. Not sure what your preferred stance is typically.

Your general stats look good and you're favoring more WIS...it will serve you well in Epics. But try to get your DEX higher; you won't believe how key your Reflex save will be later.

Laeelin
03-25-2013, 09:37 AM
Noted that you have a quiver; you're using a bow from time to time? Do note that, as you go into Epics, that the Monk-aligned Grandmaster of Flowers destiny isn't very compatible with bow effects. You'll need Sharadi Champion for that (once unlocked).

It's just there for the rare switch that needs to be shot. I don't actually use it for fighting except in very rare situations :)

That Chord of Reprisals (first I've seen of it) is perfect for adding a PRR, Deathblock, Improved False Life and/or Heavy Fortification gems, allowing you to have some flex in swapping out your Cloak of Night from time to time. The Ghostly on that item is valuable, so I'd not part with it in heavy fighting.

Great point, I picked that up before I stopped playing my monk and didn't even see the change. It's actually really nice now!

Edit: Well, that sucks.. I didn't see the change because I have an old one.

Handwraps: Adjust your handwraps to your Monk stance. Burst effects won't go off without Improved Critical: Bludgeoning or a perfect 20 or Greater Mountain Stance. Not sure what your preferred stance is typically.

I'm normally in wind stance right now, I really should reset my enhancements though. I don't change my stance often at all. I also have the vampiric stonedust handwraps (something like that - i'm on break at work) for healing.

I'm currently a light monk. I'm thinking about changing to a dark monk though. I also have whirlwind and cleave for some reason... I don't remember why. I might have a free LR on this character. I really hope so.

TeacherSyn
03-25-2013, 02:19 PM
Great point, I picked that up before I stopped playing my monk and didn't even see the change. It's actually really nice now!
Edit: Well, that sucks.. I didn't see the change because I have an old one.

Many of us feel your pain. The good news is that there are many comparatively low level quests to farm for the updated items. The ghosts in Delera's Tomb have set up a cot and some snacks for me since I've started farming that again. The updated Devotion handwraps are +3 Holy, high Devotion spell power with a Red slot---Harry Beaters, just add Silver augment gem.

I'm normally in wind stance right now, I really should reset my enhancements though. I don't change my stance often at all. I also have the vampiric stonedust handwraps (something like that - i'm on break at work) for healing.

The Vampirics are still quote useful into Epic Normal in Eveningstar. By then you should have some Stunning +10s of almost any kind. The Drow are hard-headed and need extra concussion to bring them around. Ideally, you'll find the much-loved Grave Wrappings. They stun, they neg-level, they destroy armor and fortification. Delicious.

As for stances: Train up to at least Greater Mountain or Greater Ocean for emergency defense. My main is a Wind Stancer and I love her--but she was cut to ribbons in a recent Epic Elite. Maybe her demise wasn't because she's a Wind Monk but because it showed serious flaws in how I played her in that difficulty. Ocean gives high WIS and better Dodge for better stunning and damage avoidance. Mountain Stance adds better defense and more opportunity for damaging critical hits.

I'm currently a light monk. I'm thinking about changing to a dark monk though. I also have whirlwind and cleave for some reason... I don't remember why. I might have a free LR on this character. I really hope so.

Whirlwind is most cool as you add in Grandmaster of Flowers, especially after you use the area-of-effect Drifting Lotus. Whirlwind is often a finishing blow there. That you had to add three other feats to get this adds more Dodge to your mix, as well. Never a bad thing. Every Monk should take at least Cleave. Why attack one enemy at a time? Also: Cleave and similar feats are the rechargers to the Legendary Dreadnought Epic Moment, Master's Blitz. You're a bezerker that (armed or unarmed) starts doing 1,000-pt critical hits and 600-800 damage per normal hit. It's totally insane. It almost--ALMOST--makes me say that it's better than GMoF's "Everything is Nothing."

Many people go Dark Monk for damage. That's nice, but it's a toon that deserves a better playstyle than being a better bludgeon. Take a gander in my guide under "The Adept" and the chapter, "The Power of Shadow" for more. Ninja Spies PrEs for Dark Monks make them ridiculously powerful solo toons if you play their stealth gifts right and use your super-killing at the right time and place. Shadowdancer PrE makes the Ninja Spy that much better.

Laeelin
03-27-2013, 02:59 PM
Many people go Dark Monk for damage. That's nice, but it's a toon that deserves a better playstyle than being a better bludgeon. Take a gander in my guide under "The Adept" and the chapter, "The Power of Shadow" for more. Ninja Spies PrEs for Dark Monks make them ridiculously powerful solo toons if you play their stealth gifts right and use your super-killing at the right time and place. Shadowdancer PrE makes the Ninja Spy that much better.

I have read most of your guide now. It's very helpful, thank you!

Atremus
03-27-2013, 03:25 PM
Don't forget to pick up a pair of Grave Wraps from the quest Unquiet Graves when you reach FR (and the first story arc). Essentially the coolest hand wrap in the game.