PDA

View Full Version : Barbarian Gear to improve surviving?

Varashad
03-07-2013, 04:20 PM
Currently I'm relying on my 4 displacement clickies, the Bracers of Twisting Shade, and the Treads of Falling Shadow(both EH versions) to act as my defenses on my barbarian. I also have Epic Claw Gloves(30% amp) and a Ring of the Ravager(20% amp), and am trying to figure out how to slot 10% amp.

It's more than plenty on EH, but I want to get into EE at some point, and I feel like these will not be sufficient defenses. What items could I potentially add in to improve my ability to survive?

Current Gear

Helmet: Purple Dragon Knight
Necklace: Kyosho's Necklace
Trinket: Voice of the Master/Sustaining Symbiont
Cloak: Fortification +25%
Belt: Colenthenis
Rings: Kyosho's Ring(+2 str)/Ring of the Ravager(20% heal amp)
Boots: Madstone Boots/Treads of Falling Shadow
Gloves: Epic Gloves of the Claw
Bracers: Epic Bracers of the Claw
Armor: Terrorweb Chitin Breastplate(+8 str)
Goggles: +45 HP Blurry

HalfORCastrator
03-07-2013, 04:30 PM
For a barbarian it's very tough to fit in 10% heal amp. Not worth it in my opinion. For the Barb, what you have is great. The only other thing you can do is go human for 20-30% racial amp(and sprint boost while dmg boosting).

Make sure you have a tactics setup(trip/s-blow) that gets your tactics into the 60s. This will take a +10 item for each feat and a +5 combat mastery item.

EDIT:
I go with FB set personally, the gfl helps with slot consolidation, the +2 str helps get 1 more tactic dc, and the damage is similar*.

(ravager=2d12=7avg/2secs=3.5dps. fb set=+2dmg+1strdmg=3) +2 str gives 1ab and with 50%+ glancing blows it gives 1 more damage on glancing blows, 2 more damage if the barb is pure and you have the 9% glancing blows in FOTW.

EDIT:
As for reflexes, I almost reach 50 in my tactics setup, with Uncanny Dodge active.

EDIT:
Oh, and I was assuming you have access to Silver Flame potions. If you don't, that's the number one thing you need to do on your barbarian from now until you get them.

nni
03-07-2013, 07:25 PM
You haven't tried epic elite yet with your barb? You should, it's not as scary as people make it out to be.

The earlier you start running EEs, the sooner you will realize what you need more of to be more successful.

My barbarian has even less bonuses than you, and I do perfectly fine on EE. A big part of EE is knowing how to approach different situations, when to fall back, move around, etc. You can only get better at that by playing more.

PRR is quite useful on EE, especially as you're on the low-end of it, so any increases will provide substantial benefits. Try to get a sheltering item. I use the cloak of the bear, but it's easier than ever now to just slot it somewhere. The planar conflux set bonus is also nice for that as it adds a stacking 15 PRR.

A big part of survivability is also the ability to prevent mobs from damaging you. The adrenaline knockdowns from Fury are awesome for this. You should also have stunning blow and get both a +10 and +5/6 exceptional stunning items. I'm still looking for the +10 stunning ring, but even without it you can successfully stun low fort EE mobs if you have legendary tactics and exceptional combat mastery items on.

Ivan_Milic
03-07-2013, 07:52 PM
What armor you have?
Fleshshapper brigadine gives 10% hamp and you can put displacement on it(10% to get it on being hit).

Wipey
03-07-2013, 08:15 PM
(ravager=2d12=7avg/2secs=3.5dps. fb set=+2dmg+1strdmg=3) +2 str gives 1ab and with 50%+ glancing blows it gives 1 more damage on glancing blows, 2 more damage if the barb is pure and you have the 9% glancing blows in FOTW..
Ravager is 7 avg per every hit, on bleeding mobs it's like claw+crusty together.

For the OP, prr from conflux, 14 from slot maybe ?
Your saves are probably autofail so crafted ( flexible ) absorptions items and umd ( gasp ! ) fire shield.
More dodge.

Narfle_the_Garthok
03-08-2013, 02:58 AM
What is your passive dodge currenly?
Do you currently have gear on with craft options and what is your craft lvl?

Dieterstrife
03-08-2013, 03:21 AM
True Druidic Heart of Wood. TR into a Paladin, then you'll have tons of survival :D

But yeah, you should be fine with that setup.

Uska
03-08-2013, 03:29 AM
Do 3x paly lives for more healing amp:D

Eth
03-08-2013, 06:04 AM
Try to slot an improved deception item (Seal of House Avithul, New Ring from Fall of Truth, Golden Guile).
Mobs that turn around and swing at walls and thin air, aren't doing any damage to you. And improved deception procs a lot.

DarkForte
03-08-2013, 06:10 AM
More displace clickies. SF pots. A ******** high blow DC. Slotting 10% amp cripples you elsewhere, I'd not do it.

Hawkwier
03-08-2013, 06:36 AM
Personally, as my AC is meh when raging anyway, I just accept I'll likely get hit 19 times out of 20. I've tried to build in other ways of not getting hit. I use:
smoke (20%) greensteel item (necklace currently) along with 4xdisp clickies (50%),
shadow treads (10% ghostly)
dun robar ring (4% dodge). With my base dodge of 6% that stacks with the ring, partially, to give 9% base dodge -boosted to 60% with uncanny on a burst.

That all translates to:

-----------miss %---hit %---no of hits per 12 attacks
base-------38%-----62%--------------7
displaced --61%-----39%--------------5
uncanny---73%-----27%--------------3
full boost --83%------7%--------------2

Ironforge_Clan
03-08-2013, 06:39 AM
Someone else posted this question but it needs to be restated....What are you using for armor? You have a number of options and some of them will help out immensely. If possible try to find an armor that has one of the following: Lesser Convalescence and Alertness (10% healing amp, +4 insight bonus to AC, and 3% dodge) or Lesser Convalescence of Omniscience (pretty much the same but its +5 and 4%).

If you can find one of those two you can get the last piece of healing amp and some more dodge...two things that will be of use to your build.

Narfle_the_Garthok
03-08-2013, 06:45 AM
Try to slot an improved deception item (Seal of House Avithul, New Ring from Fall of Truth, Golden Guile).
Mobs that turn around and swing at walls and thin air, aren't doing any damage to you. And improved deception procs a lot.

Very true. And it helps out any team member using sneak attack greatly as well.
On that note, a radiance guard item is a dual threat as well. Blindness is just all kinds of neat.

Bacab
03-08-2013, 06:58 AM
From a "Professional Cleric's" view...

Your gear looks fantastic.

The 50% Healing amp is nice.

Unsure what necklace you wear...but Finger Necklace may be helpful to you?

Silver Flame pots can save your life.

Work on absorption items where you can...I did this for my Cleric and it has worked wonders.
*Firestorm Greaves
*Ring of the Djinn
*Pale Lavender Ioun Stone
*Jeweled Cloak
*Mantle of the Worldshaper

The biggest thing to survival is tactics.

Get your DCs high for Trip and Stunning Blow.

Also tactics for the player behind the keyboard...

You have Sprint Boost...I don't.

In fact Clerics have been proven to be the slowest and heaviest toons in the game.

I am 18Cleric/2Paladin.

There are glaciers that are faster than me.

My point, when you hit Sprint Boost and blaze on up to that pack of mobs...I am no longer behind you. I am slow.

It is easy for Barbarians, Monks, Rangers to outrun the Crowd Control and Healing.

So, just stay with the group the best you can (yes, jumping over the melee monsters to kill a caster is a great strategy).

Cheezburgerz
03-08-2013, 07:21 AM
The suggestions in this thread are fine but none as significant as silver flame pots. If you don't have the favor, then that's the first thing you need to do. You won't need anything else.

Forzah
03-08-2013, 07:39 AM
Silver Flame pots can save your life.

But in the next 30 seconds you are much more likely to be killed due to lower movement speed and lower saves....

Cheezburgerz
03-08-2013, 07:43 AM
But in the next 30 seconds you are much more likely to be killed due to lower movement speed and lower saves....

Nope. Not even close. If you get low on health again, drink another and keep fighting. I was soloing EH without any displacement, 20 AC, no blur, no PRR and cleaving through mobs while sipping silver flame.

When you give advice, you should speak from experience. :D

DarkForte
03-08-2013, 08:18 AM

Kill casters first. Chug like a maniac. Problem solved.

Forzah
03-08-2013, 08:50 AM
I was soloing EH

How can you speak of experience if all you did is solo EH? On EH saves or incoming damage don't matter.

Try to do the blue dragon fight in EE Tor with SF pots.

Eth
03-08-2013, 09:41 AM
How can you speak of experience if all you did is solo EH? On EH saves or incoming damage don't matter.

The time I actually survived on my sorry bard I chugged about 60 SF pots. The problem is in the end I couldn't even get swings inbetween the chugging when the dragon was some feet away, so you have a valid point there :D

Varashad
03-08-2013, 10:19 AM
People have asked about my gear, so I'll include it here and the OP. This is not my final gear set, but merely what I have now.

Helmet: Purple Dragon Knight
Necklace: Kyosho's Necklace
Trinket: Voice of the Master/Sustaining Symbiont
Cloak: Fortification +25%
Belt: Colenthenis
Rings: Kyosho's Ring(+2 str)/Ring of the Ravager(20% heal amp)
Boots: Madstone Boots/Treads of Falling Shadow
Gloves: Epic Gloves of the Claw
Bracers: Epic Bracers of the Claw
Armor: Terrorweb Chitin Breastplate(+8 str)
Goggles: +45 HP Blurry

I have slot in gear for specific circumstances such as the energy absorption items previously mentioned. Silver Flame potions are carried with me by the hundreds; I literally have two entire pages of my inventory full of them. A third page has my swap in gear.

All good posts. I eventually will swap out Kyoshos and the Ravager ring for Encrusted Ring and a Seal of Dun'robar, though this is more long term. I plan to use the Cormyrian Red Dragonscale armor eventually. The bonuses to fire and seeker on that armor are worth more to me than the 15% fortification bypass and 5% damage boosts. I'll probably make both eventually and swap them as needed.

The cloak is loot gen, and a serious weakness in my gear setup. I'm probably going to make it where I slot my green steel, and then put in Tharne's Goggles for sneak attack and true seeing, or maybe the Dream Visor depending on ease of obtaining. Kyosho's Necklace will be replaced with the Golden Guile, or green steel; I'm unsure, and doubt I'll have a final answer until Turbine stops adding new content.

Flawless Black - http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Flawless_Black_Dragonscale_Armor
Cormyrian Red - http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Cormyrian_Red_Dragonscale_Armor

smithj_2020
03-08-2013, 11:01 AM
your a barb the only way for more survivability is to have someone healing you, you are going to take damage and lots in epics, because your going to be out damaging almost everything.

You need:
HPs
Heal AMP
PRR
Some Dodge chance
Silver Flame Pots are a huge help

and MOST IMPORTANTLY......KILL IT FIRST...haha

Stormraiser
03-08-2013, 11:17 AM

The truth. Reflex needed is about 59...

Stormraiser
03-08-2013, 11:24 AM
There are some things you can do to increase your survival in EE, but they will come at the cost of DPS. A lot of it depends on the party setup and often you'll increase everyone's survival by just killing stuff faster while at other times, scaling back a bit will do wonders.

CC will help a lot. Can you trip/stunning blow? Proper use of uncanny dodge.

Aside from that here are things that will boost your survival at the cost of some DPS:

Improved deception
Radiance weapon
Fatesinger ED (don't worry, it does offer some ok. DPS boosts too)
Level drain weapon
Tumble through enemies ED twist

EE is not as scary as people make it out to be, provided the groups works as a team and understands their strengths and weaknesses.

Storm

Cheezburgerz
03-08-2013, 11:27 AM

Who said all I did was solo EH? EE Blue Dragons is the toughest fight in the game right now if you don't have evasion. 10% more healing amp is not going to help you, but being able to chug SF will. I have Energy Sheath twisted in and a ring of the Djinn, so that's how I mitigate damage in that fight. But all of that would not matter if I didn't have SF. Learn something.

HalfORCastrator
03-08-2013, 11:39 AM
Who said all I did was solo EH? EE Blue Dragons is the toughest fight in the game right now if you don't have evasion. 10% more healing amp is not going to help you, but being able to chug SF will. I have Energy Sheath twisted in and a ring of the Djinn, so that's how I mitigate damage in that fight. But all of that would not matter if I didn't have SF. Learn something.
Yep. The blue dragon is one of the toughest EE encounters in the game, hardly an average expectation for EEs. For that encounter, electric absorb is the only way to go.

The cloak is loot gen, and a serious weakness in my gear setup. I'm probably going to make it where I slot my green steel, and then put in Tharne's Goggles for sneak attack and true seeing, or maybe the Dream Visor depending on ease of obtaining. Kyosho's Necklace will be replaced with the Golden Guile, or green steel; I'm unsure, and doubt I'll have a final answer until Turbine stops adding new content.
I suggest going with Adamantine or Mithral Cloak of the Wolf. Gets you exceptional seeker(Mithral is 1 less, but gives you 3% dodge which is much less common than 4% and is much less of a grind. Up to you) in an underused slot.

Varashad
03-08-2013, 07:21 PM
Yep. The blue dragon is one of the toughest EE encounters in the game, hardly an average expectation for EEs. For that encounter, electric absorb is the only way to go.

I suggest going with Adamantine or Mithral Cloak of the Wolf. Gets you exceptional seeker(Mithral is 1 less, but gives you 3% dodge which is much less common than 4% and is much less of a grind. Up to you) in an underused slot.

I've never heard of this item before. I didn't even know there was an Eveningstar Challenge pack... Huh. Well, that sounds very much worth making. How long would it take for me to make said Mithral Cloak of the Wolf?

Ozrik
03-11-2013, 05:25 AM
As soon as you get an item with a nice blue slot..grab a 14 ppr augment.If possible grab the axe from Citw and a planar focus of prowess trinket.When you eventually have the PDK favor for the set bonus will add another 15 ppr.Both will make a nice difference to the damage being mitigated that is incoming.My barb was on 19 ppr.Since i made these changes its between 33-48.This makes a big difference.

Only last night i was on elite shroud at first harry healer instant death..soon followed by a couple of dps. After the first wave of blades the second healer died and most of the raid followed.Leaving 3 of us 2 ranged guys and my barb.We took down harry with him at 30% with no heals with blades inc i was chugging silver flame pots and standing up to my beating quiet well.We made it thru and successfully completed the raid.Certainly was entertaining and i would have been fodder with out the pots and ppr.I only run 20% amp when in full dps 50-60% when i have to tank.I didnt have time to switch gear to tank mode so a barb can survive a fair battering.

goodluck in your quest for survival its possible!:)

Cromelia tr2xbarb thelanis

HalfORCastrator
03-11-2013, 11:20 AM
I've never heard of this item before. I didn't even know there was an Eveningstar Challenge pack... Huh. Well, that sounds very much worth making. How long would it take for me to make said Mithral Cloak of the Wolf?
It has been to long since I made the (adamantine) cloak. It did take a while and it is a grind. The best way to find a ballpark timeframe would be to go into each challenge once, at cr25, 5star it(with or without a group) and see how many ingredients you get, then multiply it by how many you need for the Mithral or Adamantine cloak. As an example of the difference, 5 starring cr25 Daybreak Ritual for Copper Thumbs, I got ~500-700 mats(like I said, been a while). 6 starring(cr30 5 star) I got over 1k. That said, as far as Daybreak Ritual vs. the other challenge payouts, you need many more Copper Thumbs than the other mats, but you get a greater number of mats than the other challenges. Sorry I can't help more.

This site (http://ddowiki.com/page/Eveningstar_Challenge_Pack) has cumulative mats needed.