PDA

View Full Version : Get rid of seal/shard/scroll

Kza
03-07-2013, 08:32 AM
I really like forgotten realms Epics and Gh Epics. The key for me is its simpler and it feels less grindy.

I get items and most of them i can trade or use directly. For me thats way funnier then first farm and farm and farm for some bound to account seal, then do same thing for a shard, then do same thing for an item. After that i can start trade etc for the scroll atleast.

suggestion 1. Just let the Epic items drop, the items outside raids as bound on equip and the items in raid bound on aquire.

suggestion 2. make all new start items be bound on equip but free up all seals and shards to be freely traded. The crafted weapon be bound to the toon crafted it.

Many old quests are ghostsquests, and i think its not because ppl dont want the items. Its just so slow and grindy getting right seal/shard. (if you not in a hardcore Guild but for that 5% of ppl but 75% on forum, nothing except hardest ee quests is any problem, i know that)

obscure.jester
03-07-2013, 06:03 PM
i came up with something similar to ease the often insane amount of grinding one has to do in order to craft epic items due to the extremely poor drop rate for mats.

while i disagree about making seals and shards unbound as it would totally break the market, i think a good idea might be to add 2 new mats in game: "universal seal" and "universal shard".

a universal seal or shard can be used as any seal or shard in game, like a jolly. lez say i have seal and scroll of sword of shadows. missing shard. i run a raid and loot a universal shard. i can use that shard to craft my epic sword of shadows.

universal seal and shards are BtA on acquire as normal epic mats.

another thing which would help is having a system for seals and shards similar to the one used for scrolls in the twelve: i trade to the epic vendor 3 seals or 3 shards from a pack in exchange for 1 seal or 1 shard of my choice of same pack.

Kza
03-07-2013, 08:14 PM
i came up with something similar to ease the often insane amount of grinding one has to do in order to craft epic items due to the extremely poor drop rate for mats.

while i disagree about making seals and shards unbound as it would totally break the market, i think a good idea might be to add 2 new mats in game: "universal seal" and "universal shard".

a universal seal or shard can be used as any seal or shard in game, like a jolly. lez say i have seal and scroll of sword of shadows. missing shard. i run a raid and loot a universal shard. i can use that shard to craft my epic sword of shadows.

universal seal and shards are BtA on acquire as normal epic mats.

another thing which would help is having a system for seals and shards similar to the one used for scrolls in the twelve: i trade to the epic vendor 3 seals or 3 shards from a pack in exchange for 1 seal or 1 shard of my choice of same pack.

What i want is that they reduce all different systems. They have so many different crafting systems (Epic, cannith, traps, shroud, droam... maybe even more?)

I Think to introduce even more ingredients is wrong way.

And this last augment system wo ingr bags .............. no comment.

Vellrad
03-07-2013, 08:38 PM
I prefer shard/seal/scroll than EE or GTFO items.

HunterjWizzard
03-07-2013, 10:40 PM
I like the shard/seal/scroll system, but I think the loot from it could stand to be made a little bit more powerful.

TrinityTurtle
03-08-2013, 10:19 AM
They could up the drop rates for the things. I've been farming a small problem forever, got a million scrolls but no seals. *sighs* All I want is one wee ring of elemental essence shard. Luckily I have a dungeon partner on call to farm whenever I feel like it. :)

TeacherSyn
03-08-2013, 11:14 AM
With (really) Epic gear from MotU, I agree; this system of crafting is antiquated.

The devs did rectify the then-equally useless/difficult to upgrade old augment system with the much-welcomed U17 augment system.

Time will tell if they modify this to use a better formula to update these classic items, and modify their epicness. I'd love an Epic Jidz-Tet'ka with AC 10, improvements to all Monk stances (better than their originals), and at least one slot (green, please).

A trade system that exchanges shards or seals or scrolls or allows astral diamonds to buy what you need would not need much coding on the dev's part. I'd rather they keep going with the work in larger game upgrades than to take too much time on something like this.

Taters214
03-08-2013, 11:43 AM
I could never get into the whole scroll/seal/shard epic system because of the insane amount of farming it required and no guaranteed return on investment. It just wasn't worth it; I'd rather tr or roll up an alt.

However, I LOVE the new GH epic system (which i think technically was introduced in the expansion) and augments and dragon armors. I love it because although you still must grind, I know that I'm guaranteed to get some good stuff.
-completing the chain (cabal,ms,pop,tor) lets me select a boa epic item (only epic not eh or ee, but still nice)
-while I'm running the chain I'm accumulating restored relics that can later be used to purchase augments and dragon armor
-doing tor I'm getting flawless dragon scales to be used for armor later on
-doing the quests on eh I've always got a shot at a eh item dropping in a chest for me.(and eh is really not hard and I accept the first 5 level 20-25 players to click the lfm (I'm fvs so heals are covered)) (on a side note I don't get why leaders restrict GH eh groups to 22 or even 23 or above only...)
-overall there is this feeling that I'm actually progressing toward having some nice items- guaranteed return on envestment.
-since everyThing is boa, I'm looking through the ah and seeing that I can reduce my grind by just buying what I need too.
After only running the chain 2 times and doing the raid once, I've already accumulated several nice epic items and have enough restored relics and a commendation to buy a level 24augment of my choice. This update has breathed new life into the game for me!:-D

bruener
03-08-2013, 12:05 PM
the drop rates for seals and shards is down right insulting. IMO there isnt a single piece of equipment or any weapons that is worth the amount of time it takes to get all the ings. i understand there are people who view this differently and have way more time and the desire to spend it running the same quest 200 times.

I applaud the Devs for the new epic stuff.

LordMond63
03-08-2013, 05:46 PM
To steal an idea from Diablo 2....

Remember that you got a higher chance for Diablo himself to drop set or relic items the first time you killed him on each difficulty level? Well, why not implement that same thing here: first time you complete an Epic quest on each difficulty level, you get a MUCH higher chance for a Seal or Shard to drop from the boss quest (to the point that, on EE you would be guaranteed a Shard AND a Seal for your first completion)?

Maybe something along the lines of:

First EN- 33% Shard, 60% Seal
First EH- 66% Shard, 80% Seal
First EE- 100% for both

(TURBINE: maybe offer a special Jewel of Epic Fortune in the DDO Store that increases drop chances for Scrolls/Seals/Shards too?)

Also, I'd still love to see a trade-in system in which you could exchange three Shards/Seals/Scrolls for any Shard/Seal/Scroll from the same chain. The process would still contain some grinding- as it should- but not be the seemingly endless frustration that it is now.

TrinityTurtle
03-08-2013, 08:34 PM
A trade system that exchanges shards or seals or scrolls or allows astral diamonds to buy what you need would not need much coding on the dev's part. I'd rather they keep going with the work in larger game upgrades than to take too much time on something like this.

Well, it is my understanding that the incoming astral shard auction house will allow trading of bound to account items. However, unlike the regular ah where I support the 30% fee as pretty much the only coin drain from the server economy other than heal scrolls, yugo pots, and silver flame pots, I can't support that fee for astral shards that users basically gain by buying with irl money. So I doubt I'll use it even to get that long sought shard/seal.

Postumus
03-08-2013, 08:39 PM
Well, it is my understanding that the incoming astral shard auction house will allow trading of bound to account items.

Only BtCoE items. Not BtA items or BtCoA items.

Kilbar
03-08-2013, 08:46 PM
How about making a shard, a seal, and a scroll a guaranteed end reward item for every X repetitions of the quests where they drop? That way you're guaranteed a chance at all three by just running the cycle three times.

Scraap
03-08-2013, 08:47 PM
Two thoughts on what to do with the outdated epic collectables system:

1- base+scroll = EN, EN+seal = EH, EH+shard = EE.
2- Just drop the things whole cloth with nothing more complex, have the ability to turn in seals/scrolls/shards for 2-3 epic tokens a pop, and put the old system out of it's misery already.

Either way, if you're not going to keep the things relevant enough so that starting a new one makes any sense at all by the time you've finished grinding out the parts, then it's time, and past time to be done with it.

Kza
03-08-2013, 08:51 PM
For example, doing gh chain + raid 2 times guarantee you some commendations, relics and 2 en items. And i got a total of more than that, inkluding a raid item.

I have soloed Queen prequest + raid on en around 10 times now, on my druid. Not a single item/shard/or seal some scrolls only. One other idea is that each 3 runs you do a quest on Epic setting you would het 2 seals and a shard at random on endreward. (each 3-5-7 maybe ee eh en, to make it good play on harder difficulties) But i really want em to change to gh style tbh.

Old quests are so out of sync with insane amount of grind it isnt reeally funny.

I really hope Turbine implement the gh system on all older content. Its fast furious and you progress.

And this en eh ee items is perfect, you can plan out some item setup and start with en and work from there.
That is for me a real Winner.

Phemt81
03-08-2013, 10:12 PM
The problem here is that the seal and shard spawn rates are totally broken.
Before motu, each player was entitled to a shard or a seal at end chest, often all different. After the change the mats are totally random but some just won't spawn no matter what.

I have run myself epic snitch something like 40 times always changing the difficulty and with 5-6 players and the only seal that was repeteadly showing up was the utility vest.
40 times. And this is totally nonsense since we can get much more powerful items with much less grind.
Possible solutions:

1) Make a new system like the commendation one, less stress more fun.

2) Make seals and shards unbound so we can trade them freely among us and get what we need finally.

3) Give more freedon to epic mats use allowing to use same mat to get the epic item. E.g. use three scrolls if you don't have shard and seal.

4) Repair the mats spawn generation so that we can actually get them by running the quests.

One of this solution would also take some people back to running the old epics, who are not so popular anymore.

lorenpechtel
03-16-2013, 06:11 PM
How about a different approach:

Quit dropping shards/seals/scrolls in the first place. Perhaps they should be available on the 20x completions but not in the quests. Instead, fragments of shards/seals/scrolls drop and with a high frequency. That way you make progress towards what you're after rather than the current low-probability random approach.