PDA

View Full Version : Monk handwrap damage from level 21+ ?

stefferweffer
03-05-2013, 12:36 PM
Someone said a couple weeks ago, I think in one of my threads, that Monk handwraps DO do more damage as you go from levels 21-25. First of all, is this accurate? If it's NOT accurate then it seems to me like Monk DPS will seriously slow down after level 20, since other weapons get at least an extra + 1W damage from 21+

If they do increase in damage, then where is the epic level progression on handwraps' base damage located? I can't find it on Wiki anywhere.

It has frustrated me for a while now that seemingly every other weapon in the game shows it's base damage, but they haven't found a system to show this to Monks for their handwraps. I understand why it is hard to do so, since it is based on the level of the monk that is looking at the item at the time, but I would still think this would be possible. If nothing else, put a base damage chart per monk level on each and every one of them so that we always know what our base damage is.

It's the same deal with Epic level handwraps on the AH (level 21+). Do these do more damage than pre-20 handwraps or not? If they do, is it the handwraps themselves doing extra damage, or the epic levels of the monk doing more damage?

Thanks for helping me understand this. As they seek to raise the level cap to 28 with the next expansion, meaning monsters become even bigger sacks of hit points, and if my monk's damage is going to basically be capped at level 20, then I might as well stop leveling my 12 monk right now, because that is just stupid (IMO).

Missing_Minds
03-05-2013, 12:49 PM
It sounds like you are confusing monk unarmed damage with handwrap damage.

Your unarmed damage (native to class) caps at 20.

But epic handwraps (ml 21+) allow you to do an extra 1W more damage.

So a monk that is lvl 20 will do 3.5[1d6] with non epic handwraps,
but will do 4.5[1d6] with epic (non named) handwraps.

Assuming I got the numbers right. If I didn't, you know someone will come along to correct it.

johnnyputrid
03-05-2013, 12:53 PM
Someone said a couple weeks ago, I think in one of my threads, that Monk handwraps DO do more damage as you go from levels 21-25. First of all, is this accurate? If it's NOT accurate then it seems to me like Monk DPS will seriously slow down after level 20, since other weapons get at least an extra + 1W damage from 21+

If they do increase in damage, then where is the epic level progression on handwraps' base damage located? I can't find it on Wiki anywhere.

It has frustrated me for a while now that seemingly every other weapon in the game shows it's base damage, but they haven't found a system to show this to Monks for their handwraps. I understand why it is hard to do so, since it is based on the level of the monk that is looking at the item at the time, but I would still think this would be possible. If nothing else, put a base damage chart per monk level on each and every one of them so that we always know what our base damage is.

It's the same deal with Epic level handwraps on the AH (level 21+). Do these do more damage than pre-20 handwraps or not? If they do, is it the handwraps themselves doing extra damage, or the epic levels of the monk doing more damage?

Thanks for helping me understand this. As they seek to raise the level cap to 28 with the next expansion, meaning monsters become even bigger sacks of hit points, and if my monk's damage is going to basically be capped at level 20, then I might as well stop leveling my 12 monk right now, because that is just stupid (IMO).

Monk unarmed damage continues to increase with levels, equipment, destiny abilities and epic-level handwraps. Epic wraps do indeed add 1 die of damage. At lvl 20, your base unarmed damage will be 3.5 [1d6]. You can see this information on the wiki.
http://ddowiki.com/page/Monk

Epic handwraps, such as the incredibly awesome Grave Wrappings, will add another die of damage. Now we are up to 4.5 [1d6]. The Grandmaster of Flower epic destiny has an ability called A Dance of Flowers, which can add up to another 1.5 [1d6]. That is 6 [1d6] so far. The Reinforced Fists special item enchantment can add another .5, for 6.5 [1d6]. My capped lvl 25 light monk does a hefty 8 [1d6] with Grave Wrappings equipped, and I'm sure there are some monks out there that are past that, doing 9-10 [1d6] damage.

Monk DPS, especially paired with Stunning Fist and epic destiny abilites, only continues to increase.

stefferweffer
03-05-2013, 01:03 PM
That is encouraging news on the increasing base damage opportunities. Thank you. Does the crit multiplier on Epic Wraps ever go to 3, or does it stay at 2 unless you do something else (like Mountain Stance)?

Missing_Minds
03-05-2013, 01:05 PM
That is encouraging news on the increasing base damage opportunities. Thank you. Does the crit multiplier on Epic Wraps ever go to 3, or does it stay at 2 unless you do something else (like Mountain Stance)?

You have to do something extra. Currently I can think of no wraps that increase the multiplier.

Overwhelming Critical does effect the multiplier last I heard. (would someone correct me if I'm wrong please. Thanks.)

CheeseMilk
03-06-2013, 10:48 AM
You have to do something extra. Currently I can think of no wraps that increase the multiplier.

Overwhelming Critical does effect the multiplier last I heard. (would someone correct me if I'm wrong please. Thanks.)

Yes, OC does add +1 to your crit multiplier on rolls of 19-20.

Earth Stance III and IV also adds +1. (I haven't tested whether this stacks, but I assume it does.)

The Tier Five Dreadnaught ability (name escapes me at the moment) adds an additional +1 on 19-20 (stacks with OC, at least.)

Paleus
03-06-2013, 11:23 AM
The Tier Five Dreadnaught ability (name escapes me at the moment) adds an additional +1 on 19-20 (stacks with OC, at least.)

The Tier Five ability is Devastating Critical: Passive Bonus: +1 Critical Damage Multiplier on rolls of 19-20. This should not be confused with the Tier Six ability, Pulverizer: Passive Bonus: Increases the critical threat range of bludgeoning weapons you equip by 1. That one does not work with Handwraps, much like most of that destiny.

Missing_Minds
03-06-2013, 12:36 PM
The Tier Five ability is Devastating Critical: Passive Bonus: +1 Critical Damage Multiplier on rolls of 19-20. This should not be confused with the Tier Six ability, Pulverizer: Passive Bonus: Increases the critical threat range of bludgeoning weapons you equip by 1. That one does not work with Handwraps, much like most of that destiny.

That was also per design as we have been informed by developers.