PDA

View Full Version : Serious Discussion on Past life feats revamp.

Belsogno
03-01-2013, 05:13 PM
I think that the time has come. While the latest updates, mainly U14, took the game to a higher level of gameplay, the benefit of these feats has been stuck for about 4 years.
Game changed a lot since then and I personally think most of these feats got meaningless, compared to the power that both our toons and enemies have achieved.

Are them worth the time needed to run a full life?
Just to do some examples:
Barbarian past life: 10hp? Seriously? What's the point to spend the time to have that past life, when after ED you can go over 1000 hp with no effort? Or when mobs are hitting for 200-500 damage like in the GH EE quests?
Druid's: +2 to abilities of your minions? Meh!

ecc ecc

While i need to admit that some past lives are still nice and worth taking for the TR grinders, some of them got really meaningless.

This is what I would do:

Past Life: Barbarian
You were a barbarian in a past life. You occasionally find yourself filled with a nearly irresistable urge to smash boxes. With your head. Each time you acquire this feat you gain 1 hit points for character level. This feat can be stacked up to three times.

Past Life: Bard
You were a bard in a past life. You occasionally find yourself humming a merry tune. Each time you acquire this feat you gain +2 to saves vs. enchantments and illusions, +1 to the DC of your Enchantment spells and +1 Bardic Song usage. This feat can be stacked up to three times.

Past Life: Cleric
You were a cleric in a past life. You occasionally feel the presence of the divine. Each time you acquire this feat you gain +1 to the DC's of your Conjuration spells, +1 Turn Undead attempt per rest, and you Turn Undead as if you were two levels higher. This feat can be stacked up to three times. (this is fine, no change here)

Past Life: Favored Soul
You were a favored soul in a past life. You occasionally find yourself wishing to leap off of tall things. Each time you acquire this feat you gain +1 to spell penetration checks and gain 3 additional spell points for character level. (These spell points are only available if you are able to cast spells.) This feat can be stacked up to three times.

Past Life: Fighter
You were a fighter in a past life. You occasionally find yourself filled with the urge to bark orders to your fellows in combat. Each time you acquire this feat you gain +2 to attack rolls and +1 to the DC's of your tactical feats. This feat can be stacked up to three times.

Past Life: Monk
You were a monk in a past life. You occasionally find yourself contemplating the mysteries of life. Each time you acquire this feat you gain +1 to damage rolls. This feat can be stacked up to three times.(this is fine. No change here)

Past Life: Paladin
You were a paladin in a past life. You occasionally find yourself overcome with righteous fervor. Each time you acquire this feat you gain 5% more health when affecting by positive energy. This feat can be stacked up to three times.(this is fine. No change here)

Past Life: Ranger
You were a ranger in a past life. You occasionally find small animals in your backpack. Each time you acquire this feat you gain +2 damage with ranged weapons and +5 to elemental resistances. This feat can be stacked up to three times.

Past Life: Rogue
You were a rogue in a past life. You occasionally find yourself looking over your shoulder. Each time you acquire this feat you gain +2 to saves vs. traps and deal +1 damage when sneak attacking. This feat can be stacked up to three times.(this is fine. No change here)

Past Life: Sorcerer
You were a sorcerer in a past life. You occasionally find yourself daydreaming of dragons. Each time you acquire this feat you gain +1 to the DC's of your Evocation spells and gain +3 additional spell points for character level. (These spell points are only available if you are able to cast spells.) This feat can be stacked up to three times.

Past Life: Wizard
You were a wizard in a past life. You occasionally find yourself desiring a good book. Each time you acquire this feat you gain +2 to spell penetration checks and the DC's of wands you use. This feat can be stacked up to three times.(this is fine. No change here)

Past Life: Artificer
You were an Artificer in a past life. You occasionally find yourself tinkering with your gear. Each time you acquire this feat you gain a stacking +1 damage with ranged weapons, +1 bonus to all Intelligence based skills and Use Magic Device. This feat can be stacked up to three times.

Past Life: Druid
This is completely broken and needs to be completely retought

Completionist
You win DDO! You've leveled to 20 in every class, and for your effort can take this feat to get a +2 bonus to all skills and ability scores.This feat can be stacked up to three times. When more classes are added, this feat will deactivate and you will need to gain those past lives before this benefit reactivates.

edit: I modificated Barbarian, FVS and sorcerer gains, because I understand that giving all the sp and hp at level 1 could be unbalancing at lower levels.

I didn't take into consideration active feats here, but something should be done there also.

What do you guys think about it?

rimble
03-01-2013, 05:21 PM
I'd just like Completionist and the other 'active' Past Life Feats to not require Feat slots. Seems inappropriate that only Fighters, Monks, and Wizards can benefit from them the most.

Alternately, grant 'free' Past Life Feat slots every few levels that we can use for these...somewhere in the every 4-5 levels range. Not only would that ALLOW us to use them, it'd REQUIRE us to use them, which is kind of neat.

Other than that, your little bumps seem appropriate to me, other than stacking Completionist. Not so sure about that one.

redspecter23
03-01-2013, 05:31 PM
Some interesting thoughts and I agree that some of the weaker or very narrow past lives could use a touch up, but allowing the completionist feat to stack up to 3 times? That screams overpowered for the price of a single feat slot. Past lives are supposes to be very small stacking bonuses. If there were some artificial limit placed on the amount of past lives you could have active at one time, then I could see the power level bumped slightly. Have it function similar to ED twists and you can customize your character without adding even more power to players with large amounts of past lives.

shadereaper33
03-01-2013, 05:54 PM
I think the barbarian, sorcerer, and favored soul passives are a bit much personally. Currently, that would be 25 STACKING HP per level for a barbarian life, up to 3 times, for a total of 75 STACKING HP unobtainable from another source. That is almost twice the HP available from any other non-constitution source. The favored soul and sorcerer passives each grant 5 STACKING spell points per level, for a total of 125 STACKING spell points at level 25, up to 6 times total, for 750 additional STACKING spell points that would be unavailable anywhere else in the game. I didn't see it mentioned if these sources of SP would be doubled for favored souls and sorcerers like everything else is, but even if it isn't, that is 3 times more than any available source of spell points currently in the game, that will stack with everything on top of it. Seriously, just getting these passive feats on my sorcerer alone would increase her hp by over 10% at cap, and her sp by over 23%. Passively. Now, if these abilities didn't stack, the power level would be just fine, but given that they stack up to 3 times, and are given out passively, that is way, WAY too much stacking power for free. I could see these effects being added to, or included in a modified version of the active feat that you have to spend a feat on, since those can only be taken once, but as is, this is way too much.

Oh, and the completionist stacking to 3 times thing? Just NO! As I just mentioned in another post, that would be +6 to all stats, +9 to all skills, +3 attack, +3 damage, +3 spell DC's, +3 saves, + 25/50 more hp, +3 AC (6 monk), +3 tactics DC's, a probably a few other things that I am forgetting. Turbine is trying to move away from having a lot of sources of stacking character power, so that it is easier to keep the expected level of character power in a relatively tight band, thus making it more likely that content can be kept balanced for the majority of the player base, and you are asking them to instead go and blow it wide open with some of these changes.

Vellrad
03-01-2013, 07:13 PM
Past Life: Ranger
You were a ranger in a past life. You occasionally find small animals in your backpack. Each time you acquire this feat you gain +2 damage with ranged weapons, +2 to elemental resistances and +3% chance to strike with off hand weapon. This feat can be stacked up to three times.

Still, most of rangers I see pull out bow only for manyshot, and all are tempests.
Their past life must add off hand.

oradafu
03-01-2013, 07:30 PM
I agree that there should be some changes with the Past Life feats, but I don't agree with some of the OP changes.

The changes that I would like to see are as follows:

* Barbarian passive feat is fine, although I would like to see +1 Damage here. The Barbarian active feat should be viable substitute for any prerequisites that needs Toughness.
* Bard passive feat is fine and I don't think it really needs a boost. The Bard active feat should act as Spell Focus: Enchantment. If Spell Focus: Enchantment is needed as a prerequisite, Bardic Dilettante should be a viable substitute.
* Cleric passive feat is fine. The Cleric Active feat should probably be +5 Heal skill and the clicky could be boosted to a 1d6 instead of a 1d4.
* Fighter passive and active feat are fine, although a bit dull.
* Paladin passive feat should have either a +1 Smite or +1 Lay On Hands. The Paladin active feat should have +5 Heal skill. (As a Paladin, I find both passive and active feats currently to be very underwhelming.)
* Ranger passive and active feats are fine.
* Rogue passive and active feats are fine.
* Sorcerer passive feat is fine. The Sorc active feat should be a viable substitute for any prerequisite that needs Mental Toughness.
* Wizard passive and active feats are fine.
* Monk passive feat should provide +1 Ki. The Monk passive feat should probably provide Unarmed Strike. As it currently appears in the game, the feat is only selected by monks and they already get Evasion at level 2.
* FvS passive and active feats are fine.
* Artificer passive and active feats are fine, although I wouldn't mind a +1 ranged damage or +5 Repair skill to either feat.
* Druid passive and active feats kind of stink. A +1 to Conjurgation or Transmutation should have been included in the feats, but it looks like that ship has sailed. As a minimum, I'd say +1 Heal skill for the passive should be added.

Belsogno
03-01-2013, 07:49 PM
I think the barbarian, sorcerer, and favored soul passives are a bit much personally. Currently, that would be 25 STACKING HP per level for a barbarian life, up to 3 times, for a total of 75 STACKING HP unobtainable from another source. That is almost twice the HP available from any other non-constitution source. The favored soul and sorcerer passives each grant 5 STACKING spell points per level, for a total of 125 STACKING spell points at level 25, up to 6 times total, for 750 additional STACKING spell points that would be unavailable anywhere else in the game. I didn't see it mentioned if these sources of SP would be doubled for favored souls and sorcerers like everything else is, but even if it isn't, that is 3 times more than any available source of spell points currently in the game, that will stack with everything on top of it. Seriously, just getting these passive feats on my sorcerer alone would increase her hp by over 10% at cap, and her sp by over 23%. Passively. Now, if these abilities didn't stack, the power level would be just fine, but given that they stack up to 3 times, and are given out passively, that is way, WAY too much stacking power for free. I could see these effects being added to, or included in a modified version of the active feat that you have to spend a feat on, since those can only be taken once, but as is, this is way too much.

Oh, and the completionist stacking to 3 times thing? Just NO! As I just mentioned in another post, that would be +6 to all stats, +9 to all skills, +3 attack, +3 damage, +3 spell DC's, +3 saves, + 25/50 more hp, +3 AC (6 monk), +3 tactics DC's, a probably a few other things that I am forgetting. Turbine is trying to move away from having a lot of sources of stacking character power, so that it is easier to keep the expected level of character power in a relatively tight band, thus making it more likely that content can be kept balanced for the majority of the player base, and you are asking them to instead go and blow it wide open with some of these changes.

While i could agree 5 sp is a bit too much (im gonna change on the opening post), i dont on 1hp for barbarian PLF. Running a life takes time, it needs to be worth the effort, and seriously do you think 25hp changes something in end-game? Sure 75 hp do, but it's the reward for the effort.

Belsogno
03-01-2013, 07:59 PM

great work, great reward imho.
Do you have any idea what would take to achieve that?

redspecter23
03-01-2013, 08:01 PM
While i could agree 5 sp is a bit too much (im gonna change on the opening post), i dont on 1hp for barbarian PLF. Running a life takes time, it needs to be worth the effort, and seriously do you think 25hp changes something in end-game? Sure 75 hp do, but it's the reward for the effort.

Players should be rewarded for their efforts, but you do have to keep those rewards at a level that doesn't punish players that don't have the past lives. If the bonus is too large (as arguably the current wizard past life is) then players consider it as mandatory for a "useful" toon as content begins to be designed around new maximums.

Currently every past life stacks 3 times each and fully with each other. That is a lot of potential stacking bonuses so because of that fact, each bonus has to be kept very small overall in order to keep first lifers and multilifers relatively close. The greater the bonus on each feat, the larger the divide is between the two. If there were some check in place to limit how much stacking could occur, then I think some of the bonuses could be raised slightly.

Sidewaysgts86
03-01-2013, 10:22 PM

Iunno, I "get" your point, but then the other half of me says "You ARe talking about 39, thats thirty nine past lives...". +6 to all stats for someone with 39 past lives? Dont know how game breaking that is to me.

shadereaper33
03-01-2013, 10:37 PM
The issue isn't the reward vs. effort comparison, it is the fact that the proposed changes are such a major increase in POTENTIAL character power, that the dev's would have to take it into account when balancing content. This means that, at the very least, the hardest content in the game would have to be balanced with this potential power level in mind, otherwise anyone who achieves this will find the hardest content in the game relatively boring and easy. On the other hand, once the hardest content is balanced with that potential power level in mind, the characters that don't have it, or even part of it, will find that content arbitrarily out of there reach, unless they devote the months/years required to get there. That is the big problem with absolutely stacking sources of character power. The actual effects are of fairly little consequence, sure they are fairly overpowered compared to just about everything else, but how does one go about balancing content for people with such vastly different potential power levels? Do you say that the best of the best don't get a challenge, or that the challenge is so extreme that first life characters simply can't compete?

zarthak
03-01-2013, 11:12 PM
Iunno, I "get" your point, but then the other half of me says "You ARe talking about 39, thats thirty nine past lives...". +6 to all stats for someone with 39 past lives? Dont know how game breaking that is to me.

they deserve it tho, i mean there's maybe 10 triple completionists, that's not game breaking cause theres so few of them, just like the EROSS its insanely powerful, yet there's less then 100 out there, sure those 100 lucky people get major benefits but it doesn't affect that much of the game. only the select few

Qhualor
03-01-2013, 11:32 PM
completionist should be a free passive feat with any PL active feat that you can choose as a feat. all that work for +2 to stats and skills just to take up a feat slot.

some of the active PL feats need some real work, like to-hit isn't what it used to be, the ranger one is laughable since AC isn't very good anymore and so is the paladin one since they can cast divine favor anyways. maybe I could see them being useful if you don't stay that class, but its a definite waste if you do stay a paladin or ranger.

the good news is that I did read past lives will be getting looked in to.

Sidewaysgts86
03-01-2013, 11:39 PM
The issue isn't the reward vs. effort comparison, it is the fact that the proposed changes are such a major increase in POTENTIAL character power, that the dev's would have to take it into account when balancing content. This means that, at the very least, the hardest content in the game would have to be balanced with this potential power level in mind, otherwise anyone who achieves this will find the hardest content in the game relatively boring and easy. On the other hand, once the hardest content is balanced with that potential power level in mind, the characters that don't have it, or even part of it, will find that content arbitrarily out of there reach, unless they devote the months/years required to get there. That is the big problem with absolutely stacking sources of character power. The actual effects are of fairly little consequence, sure they are fairly overpowered compared to just about everything else, but how does one go about balancing content for people with such vastly different potential power levels? Do you say that the best of the best don't get a challenge, or that the challenge is so extreme that first life characters simply can't compete?

Sorry- I just dont agree. I dont see a +3 str mod to damage/attack as being "game breaking", nor do I see a +3 to ac (for characters wearing armor that allows a +3 anyways) or the potential +6 a monk might get, as being detrimental enough to warrant massive changes in game balance. The extra spell points some magic users might see? We both know this really wouldnt be a concern. The +3 to saves, or even the potential +6 for paladins? Meh. The extra hp is a drop in the bucket when you consider that many chars are easily reaching 4 digit hp values. I know numerous tanks who have a standing hp of over 1500 hp self buffed. I just cant see +3 con mod as the factor thats going to vastly overpower their hit point pools.

But then we all know the biggest thing from this is the "potential" +3 to DCs. But seriously, i'm very hard pressed to actually believe that a +3 to abilit mods/dcs, is the game changing difference that makes the game trivial for anyone, or as was put- "relatively boring and easy"- For someone who has done 39 past lives.

And thats the thing- I dont feel that +3 to mods will trivial content any more than it would be trivialized already for someone who has 39 past life feats. Nor do I feel there would be any justifiable need to warrant a complete end-game rebalance for the very, VERY few people who actually grind out thirty nine past lives and the uber amazingly awesome +3 to mods theyd have. Honestly speaking, the benefits of a fully done ED that a first-lifer can have trump and relatively trivialize the benefits a +3 mod score would give- at least in my opinion.

My only personal concern is how the potential of having these stacking ability scores count towards feat requirements. And personally speaking- Id strongly feel that they should not help qualify for them.

butcheredspirit
03-02-2013, 03:06 AM
I would be happy just to be able to stack passive past lives up to four times.

noinfo
03-02-2013, 03:19 AM
Sorry I have no support for this at all. The feats are an added bonus to any character, not all of them are relevant all the time to every class but the passive ones can be used from level 1 onward. You will always get those benefits. They lose some relevance toward end game but they are stacking with any other ED benefit.

There are balancing issues still at end game but pastlives are not the thing they should be ballanced around.

I would support completionist for free though instead of a feat being used up.

Lonnbeimnech
03-02-2013, 04:13 AM
I agree that there should be some changes with the Past Life feats, but I don't agree with some of the OP changes.

The changes that I would like to see are as follows:

* Barbarian passive feat is fine, although I would like to see +1 Damage here. The Barbarian active feat should be viable substitute for any prerequisites that needs Toughness.
* Bard passive feat is fine and I don't think it really needs a boost. The Bard active feat should act as Spell Focus: Enchantment. If Spell Focus: Enchantment is needed as a prerequisite, Bardic Dilettante should be a viable substitute.
* Cleric passive feat is fine. The Cleric Active feat should probably be +5 Heal skill and the clicky could be boosted to a 1d6 instead of a 1d4.
* Fighter passive and active feat are fine, although a bit dull.
* Paladin passive feat should have either a +1 Smite or +1 Lay On Hands. The Paladin active feat should have +5 Heal skill. (As a Paladin, I find both passive and active feats currently to be very underwhelming.)
* Ranger passive and active feats are fine.
* Rogue passive and active feats are fine.
* Sorcerer passive feat is fine. The Sorc active feat should be a viable substitute for any prerequisite that needs Mental Toughness.
* Wizard passive and active feats are fine.
* Monk passive feat should provide +1 Ki. The Monk passive feat should probably provide Unarmed Strike. As it currently appears in the game, the feat is only selected by monks and they already get Evasion at level 2.
* FvS passive and active feats are fine.
* Artificer passive and active feats are fine, although I wouldn't mind a +1 ranged damage or +5 Repair skill to either feat.
* Druid passive and active feats kind of stink. A +1 to Conjurgation or Transmutation should have been included in the feats, but it looks like that ship has sailed. As a minimum, I'd say +1 Heal skill for the passive should be added.

Am I missing something? I don't see how a boost to the heal skill would make them any better.

oradafu
03-02-2013, 08:37 AM
Am I missing something? I don't see how a boost to the heal skill would make them any better.

Well, currently a +2 Heal does very little. If we're going to have the skill boosted, why not have it at a +5? It wouldn't make it overpowered. It's not like I'm suggesting anything that is game changing.

shadereaper33
03-02-2013, 09:19 AM
Sorry- I just dont agree. I dont see a +3 str mod to damage/attack as being "game breaking", nor do I see a +3 to ac (for characters wearing armor that allows a +3 anyways) or the potential +6 a monk might get, as being detrimental enough to warrant massive changes in game balance. The extra spell points some magic users might see? We both know this really wouldnt be a concern. The +3 to saves, or even the potential +6 for paladins? Meh. The extra hp is a drop in the bucket when you consider that many chars are easily reaching 4 digit hp values. I know numerous tanks who have a standing hp of over 1500 hp self buffed. I just cant see +3 con mod as the factor thats going to vastly overpower their hit point pools.

But then we all know the biggest thing from this is the "potential" +3 to DCs. But seriously, i'm very hard pressed to actually believe that a +3 to abilit mods/dcs, is the game changing difference that makes the game trivial for anyone, or as was put- "relatively boring and easy"- For someone who has done 39 past lives.

And thats the thing- I dont feel that +3 to mods will trivial content any more than it would be trivialized already for someone who has 39 past life feats. Nor do I feel there would be any justifiable need to warrant a complete end-game rebalance for the very, VERY few people who actually grind out thirty nine past lives and the uber amazingly awesome +3 to mods theyd have. Honestly speaking, the benefits of a fully done ED that a first-lifer can have trump and relatively trivialize the benefits a +3 mod score would give- at least in my opinion.

My only personal concern is how the potential of having these stacking ability scores count towards feat requirements. And personally speaking- Id strongly feel that they should not help qualify for them.

You don't see that a stacking +3 to damage, that is affected by crit multiplier, is overly powerful, yet Turbine is going through and changing a bunch of set bonuses to artifact type from untyped so that they won't stack. Set bonuses in the 2-4 damage range. Sure, there are tanks that can reach 1500+ hp at end game, there are also drow rogues that barely make 200. All this change would accomplish is to widen the gap between the maximum possible character power and the minimum possible character power, which means that balancing out that content will be even more difficult. Unless of course you just want a way to grind out enough power for your character to be able to sleep-walk through everything in the game on epic elite.

Honestly, if you don't see the balance issues these changes would cause, I doubt that there is anything I can say here that will make those issues apparent to you. Suffice to say, I feel that these changes would be extremely detrimental to the game and only serve to further arbitrarily separate the have's from the have-not's.

Mastikator
03-02-2013, 11:58 AM
[snip]ecc ecc

While i need to admit that some past lives are still nice and worth taking for the TR grinders, some of them got really meaningless.
[snip]This right here is where the problem lies, past lives were never intended to be "worth the grind" for the auto-granted ones. The taken ones I'd like to see a buff to, since you have to pay a feat to take them.

Barbarian PL, counts as Toughness for the purpose of all pre-reqs, berzerkers fury lasts 30 + 6*CON Mod sec

Bard, +1 DC to illusion in addition to what it already does.

Cleric, gain Turn Undead, or if already present +2 turns and +2 turn levels. Unlock all cleric Turn Undead related enhancements including Divine Might, Divine Light, Divine Vitality etc. Instead of what it currently does.

Fighter, 5 charges of an action boost that gives +20% damage, +20% attack speed & +6 to hit, instead of "Martial Prowess"

Paladin, gain the ability to add Pure Good to self for 5 minutes 5/day, instead of what it currently does.

Ranger, Use full strength modifier for off-hand attack instead of what it currently does.

Sorcerer, Gain 10 spell points + 5 per level. Gain 20 stacking spell power Fire, Electricity, Acid, Cold. Counts as mental toughness for the purpose of pre-req. Keep the "random elemental damage spell"

Wizard, is fine.

Monk, when activating Evasive Trance, if the character already has evasion, upgrade to Improved Evasion. If the character already has Improved Evasion add stacking +4 to reflex.

Favored Soul, Avenging lights recharges 1/2 minutes.

Not sure what to do with Artificer or Druid.

hermespan
03-02-2013, 05:41 PM
Druid's: +2 to abilities of your minions? Meh!

What do you guys think about it?

From the point of view of a druid who likes to use pets/summons/hirelings, this is fantastic actually. You can TR 3 times, replace augment with something else and free up a feat slot on a class that is feat starved, your pets will still be useful in EN/EH where they are now.

Maxing out druid past life means freeing up a feat if you use pets. That's not meh to me at all. However, if you don't use pets at all, it is meh.

My suggestion about past lives is to have multiple passive past life feats per class. Create as many past life feats as you have prestige lines, on every class, and on TR you get the past life that applies to your PrE at TR time.

Done.

For example you are a ranger and were an AA, you get +2 ranged damage past life feat.
If you were a tempest, 3% melee alacrity.

However to get the past life feat you have to take the PrE up to top level. IE if you want alacrity 3% past life feat, you need to do Tempest III.

If you did 3 lives, 2 were AA, one was tempest, you end up with +4 ranged damage and 3% alacrity boost (no it doesn't stack with haste, but does stack with melee haste boost) and now you are capped and can't get any more ranger past life feats. Further, turbine could allow you to overwrite one of the lives by doing another life so if you decided the tempest life was a horrible mistake you could do another AA life and choose to clobber the tempest past life feat.

I've been dreaming this dream for a while. Your past life feat should always be impacted by how you built your character. Otherwise it's not _your_ past life. It's an arbitrary one.

Gremmlynn
03-02-2013, 06:14 PM
I don't get the point. The feats were good enough when one TRed, or they wouldn't have. If they aren't good enough to make TRing worth the effort any more, then don't. Personally I think they are fine. A bonus to sooth the feeling of "wasting your time" doing something you like in a video game, while not being game altering enough for those who don't feel the need to hop on that hamster wheel to feel they are missing out on anything important. If anything, the spell pen and spell DC feats are a bit much.