PDA

View Full Version : Player Housing

Kilbar
02-28-2013, 12:06 AM
This... Would be difficult to implement. But I don't believe it would be impossible. Stormreach is a city and all we've ever seen is the Harbor, the Marketplace, and the Noble House Quarters. We also got a peek at the Tenements in The Sharn Syndicate quest chain.

My idea is to make standard housing out in the Tenements area. You can either pay a monthly platinum fee based on the size of your house or you can pay a one-time Turbine Point fee for a permanent residence. It comes unfurnished and new quests are made that drop furniture loot, some of which can bestow buffs if used. For instance, you'll get a temporary bonus for logging out in bed and when you log in, you can get another temporary bonus for eating breakfast in your own home.

You access the house by going to the Marketplace, go to the same place you go to reach the Sharn Syndicate quest, but you're given an additional "go home" option when you click the doorway which will send you to your personal doorstep. You have a little porch there and a short landing where you can look out on the street, if you like. There's also room on your porch for a few furniture items like a potted plant or rocking chair or (during Halloween) jack o'lantern. You can even get custom doors with special designs or crossed axes or whatever.

Favor with the Houses or Free Agents can net you the right to have a home in the House Quarters or the Harbor.

So... Fail idea or awesomesauce?

Sir_Noob
02-28-2013, 12:09 AM
Hmmmm, wouldn't it be nice to have more storage in your own home?

This could be a win win...

Kilbar
02-28-2013, 12:17 AM
That's one of the furniture pieces you could get, chests. Chests, drawers, dressers... It's a home. And you can invite people inside simply by grouping with them. You can give people the ability to actually take and leave things there via the same control panel you pay rent with.

This idea has been percolating in my mind literally since I first started playing half a decade ago. Back then, I came here from Star Wars Galaxies where players could create entire cities that would appear on the in-game world maps.

HunterjWizzard
02-28-2013, 12:19 AM
I support any measure that adds player housing.

I do not think furnature should be dropped as loot, however. Something more like the system used on guild airships. Maybe decorative furnature is a one-time fee but useful furnature costs?

I also would be very unhappy with any kind of monthly fee on the house. However, a single TP payment or single large plat payment would be great.

Most of the work is already there in the form of guild airships, but this is something more personal. It actually bothers me quite a bit that I have no personal space in the game. I feel like a vagrant, a drifter. I imagine my characters sleeping in gutters or huddled up behind the crafting machines in the crafting hall, with nowhere to hang his hat... its kind of depressing, actually.

In general I say awesome idea. Frankly the one thing that might make me leave DDO eventually is the utter lack of housing. I need someplace to park my characters at the end of the day... you know in Skyrim I never save an exit until my character is safely in a room at the inn or in his house.

HunterjWizzard
02-28-2013, 12:20 AM
Hmmmm, wouldn't it be nice to have more storage in your own home?

This could be a win win...

Everyone wants more storage. Please, please more storage!!

Uska
02-28-2013, 12:27 AM
The only game I have ever seen to have a decent housing system was SWG players could build towns and have their houses where people could come in a see people's trophies and decorating if we can have that I dont care to see it. Well I could live without the town building though but I would like us to be able to decorate and have people come see what we have done but there isnt enough entrances in town for each player to do it proper so I doubt I would be happy with what they could do.

Kilbar
02-28-2013, 12:33 AM

I do not think furnature should be dropped as loot, however. Something more like the system used on guild airships. Maybe decorative furnature is a one-time fee but useful furnature costs?

I also would be very unhappy with any kind of monthly fee on the house. However, a single TP payment or single large plat payment would be great.

Most of the work is already there in the form of guild airships, but this is something more personal. It actually bothers me quite a bit that I have no personal space in the game. I feel like a vagrant, a drifter. I imagine my characters sleeping in gutters or huddled up behind the crafting machines in the crafting hall, with nowhere to hang his hat... its kind of depressing, actually.

In general I say awesome idea. Frankly the one thing that might make me leave DDO eventually is the utter lack of housing. I need someplace to park my characters at the end of the day... you know in Skyrim I never save an exit until my character is safely in a room at the inn or in his house.

You would've loved Star Wars Galaxies. We had everything from little two-room Tatooine adobe huts to Sail Barges for housing. We could build entire cities complete with cantinas, shuttlecraft ports, healing facilities, mayor's halls, guild halls, even opera halls, the works. And yeah, that's where the monthly fee idea comes from. It wasn't onerous or excessive, and if you missed a payment your house went into foreclosure where everything was still there, you just couldn't access it until you paid your bills.

Uska
02-28-2013, 12:44 AM
You would've loved Star Wars Galaxies. We had everything from little two-room Tatooine adobe huts to Sail Barges for housing. We could build entire cities complete with cantinas, shuttlecraft ports, healing facilities, mayor's halls, guild halls, even opera halls, the works. And yeah, that's where the monthly fee idea comes from. It wasn't onerous or excessive, and if you missed a payment your house went into foreclosure where everything was still there, you just couldn't access it until you paid your bills.

What server and did you play before they ruined the game with NGE? I played on Intrepid Chilistra and Bria

Kilbar
02-28-2013, 12:49 AM
What server and did you play before they ruined the game with NGE? I played on Intrepid and I forget the other 2 played a lot on

I joined about a week after the dreaded NGE and spent the next several years being made to feel like a horrible excuse for a human being for daring to play a Jedi. I didn't even KNOW about the damned thing until I finally got sick of being pushed around and demanded to know why I was being treated like Grand Moff Tarkin being tried before a court of Alderaan survivors about a month in. Anyway, Draekk Cromwell was born and died on Starsider.

Uska
02-28-2013, 12:53 AM
I joined about a week after the dreaded NGE and spent the next several years being made to feel like a horrible excuse for a human being for daring to play a Jedi. I didn't even KNOW about the damned thing until I finally got sick of being pushed around and demanded to know why I was being treated like Grand Moff Tarkin being tried before a court of Alderaan survivors about a month in. Anyway, Draekk Cromwell was born and died on Starsider.

You missed the better game but I know why people wanted to play jedi at least they kept the excellent housing system:) You can play somewhat of the classic SWG if you try the emu.

HungarianRhapsody
02-28-2013, 12:53 AM
Everyone wants more storage. Please, please more storage!!

I don't want more storage.

I want the storage I have to be more useable.

Sorting for Green bags, please.

Kilbar
02-28-2013, 12:56 AM

Sorting for All bags, please.

Fixed.

Uska
02-28-2013, 01:04 AM

Sorting for Green bags, please.

that would be wonderful

HunterjWizzard
02-28-2013, 01:23 AM
Ultima Online had a pretty great housing system. I never actually got to play that game, but you could build your own house and have crafting stations and nearly infinite storage. The game in general just had ridiculously good storage, very easy to organize, very extensive... if I remember correctly, its been so very many years...

Anyway as far as how to "do it proper", remember Stormreach is a humongous city, all we really need are a few well-placed entrances, the inmplication being(as it always has been) that there is just a lot more of the city that we dont even really see.

Think less "house" and more "apartment" you have a room or a few rooms you rent.

Although I really am still opposed to the monthly-fee system. One of my favorite aspects of DDO is the ability to put it down and stop playing(I'm premium, though I spend more than a VIP). The idea that without any effort, I can just not log in for a long time, then come back to the game. I get the whole house going into forclosure and all, thats ok, I just in general prefer one-time payments to anything reocuring. Thats why I went premium instead of VIP, thats why I prefer to buy rather than rent.

donfilibuster
02-28-2013, 01:43 AM
Housing has been done before in other games, but D&D has much potential on its own.
It can be coded simple and grow up from there, starting with we already have and later inventing new stuff to put in houses.

A toon may begin with a humble shack and then move up towards a big hall.
What to put in there? Those chests that dun fit your airship to begin with.
Then your pets, so they can roam free, after all they aren't pokemon.
Your house should heal and rest like a tavern, and also receive mail, since it's your address.

I'm not too fond of furniture collecting, since in D&D house is more like a base or hideout to a hero.
However beside the basic props it should have some form of trophy displays.
You may get some mementos as rewards from the adventures, including paintings.
Treasure in the form of art pieces is also very D&D, which people often skip due to their lack of functional value.
Books could be nice too, filling up quest by quest, useful if you tend to skip the storylines.

New ammenities would be good features, since there can be stuff that doesn't belong to ships.
Your big spellbook could be there, from which you can memorize spells on every new wizard life.
It's an excellent place for potion storing, since devs seem to have trouble or are otherwise unwilling to put boxes on inventory.
Scrolls too of course, wands, and other stuff that take room like airship contracts.
I imagine turbine would be willing to sell new storage, and the housing is one good excuse.

Wouldn't be far fetched to have a special chest for bound to character items.
In fact, it could hold your whole TR bank, since there's no reason to have it open every single time you go to the bank.
Or at least the stuff that is bound to character, which is deemed hard to steal.
It's a good thing Stormreach is tight on security, despite all the thieves and invaders.

It'd be nice to leave in house the stuff you won't use and leave the rest in the actual TR cache in the bank.
That way your house would collect mementos of past lives, like family heirlooms, minus the dust in the attic.

That aside, a mirror portal would be nice, require favor with each patron before being able to teleport to each site.
(including house L for the airship tower)
You can then use clickies of Word of Recall, making the spell useful for once.

And speaking of favor, as your house grows into a big mansion your social status go up as well.
You need plenty of patron favor before being allowed bigger houses in Stormreach, real state isn't cheap.
NPCs should be able to tell you apart from the freshly arrived mercs in the harbor.

In a house theres lots of room (isn't it) for tinkering with new ideas.
Henchmen, followers, come to mind. There's actual house stuff in PnP books.
By the SBG you can even make rooms and furniture into magic items.
On DDO as it is it'd be useless but maybe there could be quests where your house comes into play.

And beyond Stormreach, there's Eveningstar, Schillindryn, etc.

This... Would be difficult to implement. But I don't believe it would be impossible. Stormreach is a city and all we've ever seen is the Harbor, the Marketplace, and the Noble House Quarters. We also got a peek at the Tenements in The Sharn Syndicate quest chain.
Don't forget Rushmore Mansion, lots of room in all those alleys in the outskirts.
However, mind Stormreach is relatively small for D&D standarts, it's just a fortified settlement.
It exists to get the patron's little mining venture running in the otherwise savage land of Xen'drik.

Naturally, the Coin Lords might be willing to lease a room for a fee.
Not with plat though, they dun like our coin or gems, that's just bait to bring fresh mercs offshore.
The city live off the trade of dragonshards, but that aside getting favor with the patrons should do the trick.

Kilbar
02-28-2013, 01:53 AM
Ultima Online had a pretty great housing system. I never actually got to play that game, but you could build your own house and have crafting stations and nearly infinite storage. The game in general just had ridiculously good storage, very easy to organize, very extensive... if I remember correctly, its been so very many years...

Anyway as far as how to "do it proper", remember Stormreach is a humongous city, all we really need are a few well-placed entrances, the inmplication being(as it always has been) that there is just a lot more of the city that we dont even really see.

Think less "house" and more "apartment" you have a room or a few rooms you rent.

Although I really am still opposed to the monthly-fee system. One of my favorite aspects of DDO is the ability to put it down and stop playing(I'm premium, though I spend more than a VIP). The idea that without any effort, I can just not log in for a long time, then come back to the game. I get the whole house going into forclosure and all, thats ok, I just in general prefer one-time payments to anything reocuring. Thats why I went premium instead of VIP, thats why I prefer to buy rather than rent.

A one-time payment is fine with ME, it's just not what I remember from SWG, you know? The Empire apparently didn't believe in privately-owned housing. Other games do, such as DCUO and Champions Online. Neither of those caught my imagination quite like SWG, however. I lived in a city created by someone I KNEW in SWG. He was a buddy and I was in his guild and we organized that city into coherent streets and boulevards together and placed the shuttleport and vehicle garages together in one convenient spot and we put the cantina and the diner and the nightclub all together in a little entertainment district. Most of our guild lived in that city and we had some non-guild allies to round out the population. We had a little park with several fountains and a floral garden and a bunch of sculptures and none of it had ANY game effect, but it looked cool, so we spent HOURS putting it all together.

Memnir
02-28-2013, 03:09 AM
Just to daydream for a moment...

This would make for a great intermediary Favor benchmark. Earn X favor with a faction or house - gain the right to purchase property there. Start with a small apartment - earn up to a Syndicate size mansion with max favor in the house.

Each favor faction's housing would have it's own style and motif suited to the faction, and houses could have hookpoints for personalizing amenities. No buffs, however... keep those the bailiwick of the Guild Ships. These would be for decor/trophies/storage options only. No timers on them, unless the owner wants to swap them out for something new. Beat VoN - unlock a set of VoN trophies for the house - etc.

Want to invite somebody over? Modify the Airship Beacon to be a House beacon, and invite folks over.

...sigh. It was a nice dream, but I don't think it's going to go beyond that.

danzig138
02-28-2013, 07:35 AM
I think it's insane to want Turbine to find a way to house all of the players. First, I imagine most of them already have a place to live. I know I"m not trading my house for whatever bug-infested shack Turbine would provide. Second, they'd have to burn it down and rebuild it two days after everyone moved in, and then where would we all go?

Now, character housing? That might be a good idea.

OzmarDDO
02-28-2013, 07:38 AM

My idea is to make standard housing out in the Tenements area. You can either pay a monthly platinum fee based on the size of your house or you can pay a one-time Turbine Point fee for a permanent residence. It comes unfurnished and new quests are made that drop furniture loot, some of which can bestow buffs if used. For instance, you'll get a temporary bonus for logging out in bed and when you log in, you can get another temporary bonus for eating breakfast in your own home.

You access the house by going to the Marketplace, go to the same place you go to reach the Sharn Syndicate quest, but you're given an additional "go home" option when you click the doorway which will send you to your personal doorstep. You have a little porch there and a short landing where you can look out on the street, if you like. There's also room on your porch for a few furniture items like a potted plant or rocking chair or (during Halloween) jack o'lantern. You can even get custom doors with special designs or crossed axes or whatever.

Favor with the Houses or Free Agents can net you the right to have a home in the House Quarters or the Harbor.

Major Awesomesauce! +100

And closets for storage space. And rooms for your pets to sleep.

I love it! I want one for each of my chars!

-Ozmar the Homeowner

OzmarDDO
02-28-2013, 07:41 AM
Housing has been done before in other games, but D&D has much potential on its own.
It can be coded simple and grow up from there, starting with we already have and later inventing new stuff to put in houses.

A toon may begin with a humble shack and then move up towards a big hall.
What to put in there? Those chests that dun fit your airship to begin with.
Then your pets, so they can roam free, after all they aren't pokemon.
Your house should heal and rest like a tavern, and also receive mail, since it's your address.

I'm not too fond of furniture collecting, since in D&D house is more like a base or hideout to a hero.
However beside the basic props it should have some form of trophy displays.
You may get some mementos as rewards from the adventures, including paintings.
Treasure in the form of art pieces is also very D&D, which people often skip due to their lack of functional value.
Books could be nice too, filling up quest by quest, useful if you tend to skip the storylines.

New ammenities would be good features, since there can be stuff that doesn't belong to ships.
Your big spellbook could be there, from which you can memorize spells on every new wizard life.
It's an excellent place for potion storing, since devs seem to have trouble or are otherwise unwilling to put boxes on inventory.
Scrolls too of course, wands, and other stuff that take room like airship contracts.
I imagine turbine would be willing to sell new storage, and the housing is one good excuse.

Wouldn't be far fetched to have a special chest for bound to character items.
In fact, it could hold your whole TR bank, since there's no reason to have it open every single time you go to the bank.
Or at least the stuff that is bound to character, which is deemed hard to steal.
It's a good thing Stormreach is tight on security, despite all the thieves and invaders.

It'd be nice to leave in house the stuff you won't use and leave the rest in the actual TR cache in the bank.
That way your house would collect mementos of past lives, like family heirlooms, minus the dust in the attic.

That aside, a mirror portal would be nice, require favor with each patron before being able to teleport to each site.
(including house L for the airship tower)
You can then use clickies of Word of Recall, making the spell useful for once.

And speaking of favor, as your house grows into a big mansion your social status go up as well.
You need plenty of patron favor before being allowed bigger houses in Stormreach, real state isn't cheap.
NPCs should be able to tell you apart from the freshly arrived mercs in the harbor.

In a house theres lots of room (isn't it) for tinkering with new ideas.
Henchmen, followers, come to mind. There's actual house stuff in PnP books.
By the SBG you can even make rooms and furniture into magic items.
On DDO as it is it'd be useless but maybe there could be quests where your house comes into play.

And beyond Stormreach, there's Eveningstar, Schillindryn, etc.

Don't forget Rushmore Mansion, lots of room in all those alleys in the outskirts.
However, mind Stormreach is relatively small for D&D standarts, it's just a fortified settlement.
It exists to get the patron's little mining venture running in the otherwise savage land of Xen'drik.

Naturally, the Coin Lords might be willing to lease a room for a fee.
Not with plat though, they dun like our coin or gems, that's just bait to bring fresh mercs offshore.
The city live off the trade of dragonshards, but that aside getting favor with the patrons should do the trick.

There are so many great ideas that could be easily implemented. This is a fertile field of wonderful ideas to draw on. Turbine, please do this! Do this! Do this!

-Ozmar the Excited

Lagin
02-28-2013, 07:49 AM
Discussed many times in the past.

It won't happen. At least not with the game in it's current form.

Aliss7
02-28-2013, 08:22 AM

Discussed amongst players or actual devs? I don't see why an instanced apartment gotten to with the tenements quest entrance wouldn't be possible to implement. It seems dead simple. It's not personally what I would be looking for in player housing, but it's certainly an option.

Loromir
02-28-2013, 08:31 AM
The end game house...should obviously be a Castle. Some settings for this Castle IMO:

-Vale of Twilight once cleansed of Devils and Gnolls.
-Mount Reyslon once cleansed of Gnolls.
-Searing Heights
-Cerulean Hills
-Even Korthos Island
-Sorrowdusk Isle

Storage would be the biggest benefit of housing imo. I would like to see:

-some sort of Armory for unused weapons and armor (The ones you just can't bear to vendor, but really don't use anymore).
-Closet or Wardrobe for extra Outfits, Robes, Boots, Belts, Helms, Hats, Gloves & Cloaks.
-Jewlery Armoire for Rings, Bracers, Trinkets & Neckalces
-Medicine cabinet for Potions
-Library for Scrolls, Hireling Contracts, Amenity Contracts, etc...
-Cabinet for Wands
-Vault for your Plat

I would also like to see:
-a trophy case to display evidence of various acheivements.
-The ability to prominently Display the best of the best loot that you have earned (Example: ESOS hanging over the fireplace).
-A Portal for transport to various locations.

The Character house should provide faster HP/SP regeneration than even a tavern.

Everything in relation to Character Housing should be earned and paid for via Plat or TP. It would provide a new stream of revenue for Turbine and since it would be optional, it wouldn't be considered a P2W feature.

I am not a fan of the idea of collecting furniture.

jonqrandom
02-28-2013, 08:54 AM
this all sounds rather like the housing in elder scrolls games.

shame bethesda aren't developing an mmo...

oh. wait.

Truga
02-28-2013, 08:58 AM
Player airships. That can dock with guild ships. For epic air battles.

hermespan
02-28-2013, 09:23 AM

Actually I love this idea. Especially if you can pick from different house designs.
The entrances/housing area could be instanced and turbine could simply create a new type of bank slot for this. This would be a pretty simple design to implement. The hard part would be allowing people to add furniture and customize it.

We could have a whole new loot mechanic for furniture and decoration items added :) Maybe pick up cool stuff from adventures and add a pack mule pet. I certainly wouldn't want players to be able to put a 2-300lb couch in their backpack. The customization mechanic could be adapted from ship hook points. Open pack mule inventory, stand on (or select by clicking on it) hook point, double click couch.

I say awesomesauce, though this has been suggested many times lol.

TrinityTurtle
02-28-2013, 10:54 AM
Hehe...you guys knew I'd show up on this thread sooner or later, right? :) I compltely agree that we need player housing, both as a personalization fun concept and a money sink in the game. People are always complaining about the economy in this game, of course its broken when every single quest you undertake results in adding more money to the economy without any effective removals from it. Housing with monthly rentals would be a good way to get some cash out, and is in fact used to that purpose in Lotro. It could also contain extra storage, which would add to it's attractiveness to packrat players and make them more likely to invest (and thus remove some coinage from the system), and make them happier. The forum has a lot of people complaining about the lack of storage.

I disagree that it would be overly difficult to implement as the op stated, since they already have a working housing system in another of their games. They already know how to do it.

Kalari
02-28-2013, 10:58 AM
I remember my call for housing, I even laid out how they could make money selling furnishings in their store and stuff ahh the memories. People posting I was wrong it was a waste of devs time blah bleh.

We got airships instead so I quieted down but Id love an actual house id use my astral diamonds to buy a house the size of that Phiarlan one, hey I am an elf to I want a big ole house with multi dimensions and crazy cabals trying to attack it! lol

Seriously though id love a keep out in the forgotten realms more then anything or a wizard's tower out in the king's forests...sigh just typing this out shows me so many possibilities for a time sink, fun for players and money in Turbine's pockets at least from my end.

CaptainSpacePony
02-28-2013, 11:07 AM
I think it's insane to want Turbine to find a way to house all of the players. First, I imagine most of them already have a place to live. I know I"m not trading my house for whatever bug-infested shack Turbine would provide. Second, they'd have to burn it down and rebuild it two days after everyone moved in, and then where would we all go?

Now, character housing? That might be a good idea.

Good thing I read the whole thread before responding. I was just about to say that.

Zorth
03-03-2013, 09:40 AM
VIP does not pay rent.

One per account.

One per server.

HunterjWizzard
03-04-2013, 12:52 AM
I think the player housing should function somethine like shared bank, insofar as it is not a per-character thing. All of your characters get to share the same house, etc.

Like I said, I feel like a pack of hobos presently, even with my guild ship!

HungarianRhapsody
03-04-2013, 10:26 AM
If Turbine did decide to implement housing for PCs, it wouldn't be all that hard to find room. We all use the same door to get to our different airships. We could all use the same door to get to our homes.

DDO = Magic doors.

TrinityTurtle
03-04-2013, 11:12 AM
VIP does not pay rent.

One per account.

One per server.

I disagree, one of the major (and badly needed in this games) features that should be focused on is that this absolutely could be a coin sink. MMO economies are inherently broken from the moment the game turns every, every encounter generates and adds coins to the economy. People are constantly complaining about the economy, and this is why. The only other real plat sinks in the game are the % of the ah and the few useful consumables, such as healing/ressing scrolls/wands/pots. Anything that gets money off the servers is a good thing. And for the record, I am vip, this is not a 'vip perk envy' opinion.

LordMond63
03-04-2013, 05:33 PM
Lord of the Rings Online has player housing (a pretty decent system, IIRC from my playing days).

Turbine is the developer of LotRO.

So they know how to do it; the trick is convincing them it would be in their best interest (i.e. profitable) for them to do so.

I seem to recall that it was account-based and not character-based, meaning one dwelling per account. You first bought the deed to the property (and a budding player driven real estate market came into being because the lots closest to the zone entrance sold at a premium because you could get there faster. players let it be known via message boards that they owned a choice lot in a particular housing zone and wanted XXXX plat for it).

Once you bought the lot, you then chose the house that you wanted to build on it. There were three sizes of dwellings, but the largest one, which was meant as a guild hall, was typically out of the price range of players, so you in actuality could choose from two sizes. It seems like you paid rent monthly in game currency, but I'm not positive on this. The smaller had fewer hookpoints and the larger more. As far as what you could place on the hookpoints (and not only in the house but in the yard as well), you had standard things such as- yes!- chests to store things, but also trophies made from the remains of certain rare mobs, furniture that was crafted by players- a way for crafters to make money- (and some schematics were rare drops, which gave certain pieces of furniture more of the "WOW!" factor). In the yard, you could place store-bought shrubs, trees and decorative items (like a wishing well) and also items that you could only get during special events, game anniversaries or such.

I think each class had access to a spell/ability that allowed them to teleport to their personal or guild house. That was really convenient. Each housing zone had a town square with a vendor that would buy loot and sell various items.

It was not the most complex housing system I've ever run across ( Dark Age of Camelot was more robust and it appears the Star Wars game even more so), but it worked and worked well. It siphoned off a fair amount of coin from players, as the race to 'bling up' was never-ending. Crafters could build and auction furniture items to make themselves a tidy bit of coin, especially if they were lucky enough to loot some of the more rare recipes/schematics. Player had more storage- always necessary. And I'm sure Turbine made a fiar amount of money from players buying housing goodies that were available only from their store or via events.

Do I hope that they will do something similar in DDO? Absolutely.

Do I think they will? Nope.

Turbine made their choice when they decided to introduce guild airships into the game. They could have rolled out player housing at that time. Instead, we got airships. I can't see Turbine admitting they got it wrong, scrapping airships and introducing player housing. In a game where bug fixes can take years to make- if then- can we reasonably expect them to devote so much in the way of resources to something so frivolous? Much as I wish otherwise, I'd think not.

HungarianRhapsody
03-04-2013, 05:42 PM
Turbine made their choice when they decided to introduce guild airships into the game. They could have rolled out player housing at that time. Instead, we got airships. I can't see Turbine admitting they got it wrong, scrapping airships and introducing player housing. In a game where bug fixes can take years to make- if then- can we reasonably expect them to devote so much in the way of resources to something so frivolous? Much as I wish otherwise, I'd think not.

No need to scrap airships in order to add individual housing.

They could just have both side by side. And they could add crafting ingredients that you need to build your house because there aren't enough different crafting systems sitting side-by-side in DDO.

donfilibuster
03-05-2013, 12:22 AM

As i recall what a dev has stated unavailable was player dungeons, since it takes new tools than the ones they use.
There's some overlap in threads about housing, guild halls and player content.
Supposedly they reviewed all three things while deciding on what to do with the guild halls.

The end game house...should obviously be a Castle. Some settings for this Castle IMO:

I'd prefer to work with the setting when possible, such as Stormreach being the only safe settlement in Xen'drik.
It would be fine to have housing in Stormreach and Eveningstar, even Sschindylryn. (maybe Korthos lol)

Player airships. That can dock with guild ships. For epic air battles.
Though this goes on a different way than ground housing, the idea lives on its own.
Would love to see this for sub-guilds, but that'd be off-topic.

brickwall
03-05-2013, 12:26 AM
There are far more pressing matter that must be attended to before they should make any attempt at adding any new content of any kind.

HunterjWizzard
03-05-2013, 12:45 AM
I'm telling you, people: Apartments! Thats where it's at. Hey, theres already a dungeon called the Harborview Lofts. I swear when I first saw that I thought it was going to end up being player apartments...

LordMond63
03-05-2013, 03:13 PM

They could just have both side by side. And they could add crafting ingredients that you need to build your house because there aren't enough different crafting systems sitting side-by-side in DDO.

I think it would be more a perception thing on the part of Turbine.

If they were to add player housing now after giving us airships, it would be tantamount to admitting that they made the wrong decision back when they could have done either one. It wouldn't be a matter of not being able to do it; it would be a matter of not wanting to do it.

UurlockYgmeov
03-05-2013, 03:34 PM
Sounds like LOTRO

Ducaster
03-05-2013, 03:56 PM
can't let this pass without a "Mee too!"

Oh how I would LOVE a Trophy rack as furniture.. A place to hang all those semi neat bits of gear that crop up that a part of me wants to keep but there not quite usful enough (Threnal Warblade for an example) or the classic Docent +3 of uberness (RR - Dwarf) Wish I had been able to keep that; even if it was just to look at and not sell or use....

Maybe we could start with a rented room at a tavern then as other have said move up to apartments even houses as favour rewards. Yes yes an yes amen.

Of course I wonder if you have a room to call your own - would a form of PvP for rogues be implemented where we get to rob each others cribs???

Be a place to put all my spare traps etc and use all those rune & sigle spells (Assuming their duration was dinked with as well)

PookaWitch
03-05-2013, 04:08 PM
/signed and +1 for requesting it

I would so love to see houses. :D I don't usually like to bring up other MMOs on another MMO's forums (it feels kinda rude to me) but I can't help but mention Runescape and their housing. I've only every played RS and DDO for MMOs, but I loved the houses in RS. It was one of my favourite things, which is something my husband would lovingly tease me about. We would describe RS to people and he would talk about the combat, the armor, the fun quests.. and I would chime in 'and it has houses, and MY house is AWESOME!' lol
(That and I loved summoning too, so he would joke about how I'm such a girl playing with my house and pets in RS. lol )

Anyhow, I would LOVE houses in DDO! The guild ships are 'nearly' there but not quite. We need houses with animations to actually lay down and sleep in your bed (maybe with some rested bonus?) and sit at a table to eat your ham and broccoli, or couches to sit on to chat with your friends that you invited into your house. <3

Seriously loving this.

Orratti
03-05-2013, 04:40 PM
I don't want my house in Stormreach. I want my KEEP outside of Stormreach. I want to be able to start construction on it at lvl 9 as it is "supposed" to be. I also want my mount and the ability to travel by it should I choose.

Different housing for different types of classes would be nice but with the tr thing I doubt it would be done. Would like my wizards tower as well.

If it were in the game like some kind of apartment I could buy or rent I doubt I would bother. If it were like land and keep granted by the nobility that I must protect and could be able to expand on then I would like to try that.

What I would like is too complicated though.

PookaWitch
03-05-2013, 05:03 PM
I don't want my house in Stormreach. I want my KEEP outside of Stormreach. I want to be able to start construction on it at lvl 9 as it is "supposed" to be. I also want my mount and the ability to travel by it should I choose..

And attract followers! Don't forget the followers. :D *loves on you for the AD&D nostalgia*

Thayion516
03-05-2013, 05:25 PM
I also posted a few months back on the need for Player Housing here: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=401946

Seeing as Storage is becoming a problem with the limited number of backpacks we can hold per toon, and given the influx of BTC items over the last few add-ons.

There are only 4 real requirements IMO.

1) Instance Room/Area (Place to call MINE)
2) Item Storage/Addition (Badly needed in game)
3) Turbine HAS to make a Profit in some fashion (they need to pay for the game)
4) Simple to Understand / Implement (use hook points and just reskin the ship Chest)

It does not have to be huge or fancy. The more complicated it is, the more likely Turbine will not install it. And they have to make $$$.

A Small instance room accessible thru a clicky Door. Usable PER CHARACTER ONLY, aka not shareable. Lasts thru TR. Therefore a TP moderate sink for Turbine.

VIP Instant Access. Giving a much needed perk to VIP.

4 Orange Hook Points (Apartment Hooks)

Room by default has a Small Chest. (20 slots any item) and a Armor Rack (5 Armor slot items).

Turbine Points purchasable for Orange Hooks only:

1500TP = Apartment Key. (Grants access, free to VIP)

1000TP = Room Upgrade = 6 hook points.

500TP = Medium Chest (40 Slots)
750TP = Large Chest (50 Slots)

500 TP = Large Armor Rack (10 Armor Slots)

500 TP = Accessory Cabinet (20 Accessories slots)
750TP = Large Accessory Cabinet (40 Slots)

Ect Ect ect.

weapons rack
scroll rack
potion table
wand cubby
clothing armor
pet pen
ect ect

I would indeed buy MANY of these as storage is always a premium in DDO. Storage is one of the only things I would spend TP on as there is generally no in game equal.

We get Storage and Space + Turbine turns a continuous Profit = All Wins.

Any other ideas?

Remember, keep it simple and possibly something mechanically already in game. Copying or re-skinning an item/content is MUCH easier then building totally new code.

Everquest2 has the best Housing and Guild Hall features in the MMORPG industry. DDO has done many things right, but EQ2 got this feature right: http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Housing

When Everquest launched housing, people said it would tank because 'nobody wants to play house'. The masses who generally ignore forums however, proved them quite wrong.

Furniture, different housing styles, different textured walls, it all sells in the store, and sells pretty well apparently. Same is true for EQ2. I haven't played other games with housing, but from what I hear it's generally a very popular thing, and people will dump RL cash on it in an instant. They'll tailor the housing to look the way they want, and if they have the ability to show it off, they will, in a heartbeat.

If it's a robust enough housing system, they'll even compete with each other in giant forum threadnaughts of housing pictures to see who's got the coolest-looking house.

I suspect that housing in DDO would be no different. Might even draw additional players to the game, and help them feel connected to the game world, and invested in the story. After all, if the Truthful One's actions will destroy Xendrik, roleplayers will be even more concerned if they actually have a house there. And semi-roleplayers. And even the soloers who are effectively roleplaying with themselves as they craft (through quest choices) the story of their character, from nekkid shipwreckee, to godsbane.

Let them set their creature companions to roam the housing randomly performing their tricks. People will buy more creature companions for that, in addition to buying housing and paying upkeep on it (be it as platsink or TP). And the more you let them personalize it, the more they'll pay to do just that.

Housing is a CASH-COW. That should have been apparent the moment Smedley gave the green light to implementing it for EQ. Turbine, I rarely say this, but follow Smedley's example. He was right about that. You WILL make money.

donfilibuster
03-05-2013, 08:05 PM
I don't want my house in Stormreach. I want my KEEP outside of Stormreach. I want to be able to start construction on it at lvl 9 as it is "supposed" to be. I also want my mount and the ability to travel by it should I choose.
You brave sir, are entirely right, but maybe chose the wrong land for this, it's not good for the health.
The reason there's no mounts to go out there it's they get eaten. Being right and dead isn't much fun.

Go and ask poor old Nash Braza how it worked for him, i can already picture you sitting on the road crying :/
Or the Deneith Army at the various outposts. Everyone else wall up in the city because that's what it was built for.

Oh but they ship in more brave warriors willing to go out there every day, to replace the ones that dun return.
No wonder there's so much junk loot in lairs, it's a pollution problem but hey, we are cheap, in the eyes of the Coin Lords.
Meanwhile them patrons get rich in their little mining venture that is Stormreach, we just keep the roads open.

I'm not saying of course, that wouldn't do it myself. I'll just bring an army. What's a landlord without the followers.
Gotta be worth it, the place is colorful and the view is nice, i hear the beach is a popular tourist spot, specially among the droaam and sahuagin.

There's plenty of cheap real state out there, the giants left them vacant that one time with the crisis.
Personally i'd ask Ugurtz for his hut, it's a nice building, right outside the goblins keep so it's good for business.
And just a short walk to the tavern, if they'd just fix the bridge.

p.s. maybe not a bad idea after all. Nothing wrong if we have player housing *and* monsters sneaking in when you visit.
Totally in the spirit of the game and setting.

HunterjWizzard
03-06-2013, 02:21 PM
They have to implement it without a favor/renown grind. Either store items or platinum, you have got to be able to walk into a house and buy whatever you want/can afford. Housing is the LAST thing that needs a heavy "grindy" element to it.

Kalari
03-06-2013, 04:08 PM
I more like the idea of a keep then a house at least then you can have a bit of it all, a home for storage and decoration, and the pleasure of fighting off the occasional wandering mob(s) who want to try to take your stuffs!

cdbd3rd
03-06-2013, 04:21 PM
I just want a place to hang my fishing trophies. :)

Oh, wait...

Right.

:(

LordMond63
03-06-2013, 05:59 PM
I played EQ2 for a brief time at launch and it seems like you automatically got a house- "hovel" would be more precise- with your account. I think housing was account-based rather than character-based. Aside from that, my memory fails me as to details. It was just too long ago.

Of the games I've played, Dark Age of Camelot had the best player housing system. If you know the game, it had three Realms (Albion, Hibernia and Norse). Each realm had their own housing zones located not too far from their main city. Each realm had three types of houses, ranging from rather spartan to deluxe (with costs to match).

The process went like this: buy your lot, buy your house deed and let the customization begin! You could pick different materials for the outside of your house and different colors for them and place various trees.shrubs and things like wishing wells and sculptures in the yard (each cost coin so were very good plat sinks). Each house had a number of hookpoints, and these hookpoints could be used for anything from Trophies crafted from the remains of rare spawns to crafting tables, a personal teleporter, storage chests and many other things. The best aspect of the house, I thought, was that you could add a Porch to the outside and install a player merchant to sell your crafted goods, loot or whatever (and could also be used for more storage if needed). Your items were listed at a Master Merchant at the entrance of the housing zone (you could buy the item from the merchant and pay a convenience fee or hop a horse and ride to the individual house to save money). Houses were account-based, and it was not unusual for a Guild to get together and buy a large Guild Hall in a village (each zone had multiple villages of perhaps ten lots each) and Guild members buy up all of the other lots in the village so a Guild could claim the village as their own (and place your Guild emblem on the outside of the house as a tapestry). Houses had a "security system" that you could set so that you could allow all, some or none to enter and see your decorating taste.

Mythic, DAoC's developer, did it up right. The system was extraordinarily versatile, letting a player go as complex as they wanted to in putting their own stamp on their house, yet you could also choose to do only the basics (storage, bind stone and teleporter). I do not recall that Mythic had any sort of store from which you could buy various housing items for real money, so they relied on an increase in the number of subscribers that a good housing system would bring in. I can tell you that they had to expand housing multiple times on some servers to handle the increase in subscribers once word got around that their housing was a winner.

HunterjWizzard
03-07-2013, 12:56 AM
I would also like to point out that Ashron's Call has player housing. Since Lord of the Rings Online has it, that makes 2 out of Turbine's 3 MMOs that have player housing. I think Dungeons and Dragons Online deserves it, too.

LeadHero5
03-07-2013, 11:51 AM
A house is a essentially a 1 person guild with a guild member only chest. Want company, send a 'ship' invite. Most of the current guild amenities could be available as well. I can't imagine how high a single person guild could get their favor though. Would cheaper perks impact the existing guild structure?

Since this has been a very popular idea, there must be some reason that Turbine does not want to increase the amount of player storage because that is always mentioned with housing. I don't really have any idea what that reason might be, but it seems that they would rather have you running multiple characters and accounts and wasting time moving stuff around then seeing inventory window at the bank that is 30 by 30 with 6 tabs.

Dagolar
03-07-2013, 01:11 PM

Sure, okay. It's nothing I'll eagerly hop up and down panting for, but, as you described it, I don't hate it, either.
That's definitely in line with the right way to go about implementing it, if it ever is.

Though I'd much rather they add in Guild Airship cosmetics [as in, actual placeable features, similar to crew spots, but tons all over the ship for simple things like rugs, etc; rather than just really bland airship ring/deck colorations] first.

RangerOne
03-07-2013, 01:42 PM
Skipped some of the posts so if I mentioned something already said, apologies.

I've thought of this also while looking at the unused doors in Stormreach. Around where Lockania is currently situated.

I was thinking of a private berth on your guildship. A private chest to augment the shared bank. Hookpoints for furnishings. Things can drop in game or be purchased in the store. (Revenue, Turbine!) I remember long ago a friend showing me his Ultima apartment.

/signed

cdbd3rd
03-07-2013, 02:23 PM
I disagree, one of the major (and badly needed in this games) features that should be focused on is that this absolutely could be a coin sink.....

As much as I hate paying up my rents over on LOTRO side, I sadly agree that ongoing rent/maintenance is a good thing overall.

Going on a break and coming back to find the Kinship house is locked up with over 9 Gold (think 9 mil plat or so) owing is a downer.

They could just have both side by side. ....

Have to reference LOTRO-side again. Same way as they do personal housing and Kinship housing there. Just two separate links to each. Here, could be two doors, or a pop-up choice with one door.) Totally doable - even without fishing trophies.

And, Kal. STOP trying to get us attacked! :p

Nice write-up, Thay. I don't agree with ALL the points you present, but was well-presented. I'll have to get back to ya with some /props another day.

Ranger. I have to disgaree with the guild-ship berthing concept. Would cut out too many unguilded (or perpetually low-level guilded) folks.

HunterjWizzard
03-07-2013, 04:34 PM
I was thinking of a private berth on your guildship. A private chest to augment the shared bank. Hookpoints for furnishings. Things can drop in game or be purchased in the store. (Revenue, Turbine!) I remember long ago a friend showing me his Ultima apartment.

What about all the people who aren't in guilds? Or the guilds that don't have airships?

Kalari
03-07-2013, 08:23 PM
As much as I hate paying up my rents over on LOTRO side, I sadly agree that ongoing rent/maintenance is a good thing overall.

Going on a break and coming back to find the Kinship house is locked up with over 9 Gold (think 9 mil plat or so) owing is a downer.

Have to reference LOTRO-side again. Same way as they do personal housing and Kinship housing there. Just two separate links to each. Here, could be two doors, or a pop-up choice with one door.) Totally doable - even without fishing trophies.

And, Kal. STOP trying to get us attacked! :p

Nice write-up, Thay. I don't agree with ALL the points you present, but was well-presented. I'll have to get back to ya with some /props another day.

Ranger. I have to disgaree with the guild-ship berthing concept. Would cut out too many unguilded (or perpetually low-level guilded) folks.

hehe in response to the bold ya know me I am chaotic neutral a dead mob is potential loot! cackles :)

MartinusWyllt
03-07-2013, 08:45 PM
.... I do not recall that Mythic had any sort of store from which you could buy various housing items for real money, so they relied on an increase in the number of subscribers that a good housing system would bring in. I can tell you that they had to expand housing multiple times on some servers to handle the increase in subscribers once word got around that their housing was a winner.

Don't think there was anything you could buy with cash, at least by ToA. Around then they modified their ToS to allow players to sell accounts as well.

I liked their housing system and I can't recall it being particularly buggy. The consignment merchant was very useful as was the ability to put crafting stations and raw material merchants in the house. Once you bought something for a hookpoint it was permanent but if you failed to keep-up your rent you would lose everything...except the stuff in chests as their was an npc that would hold that stuff for you. Heck maybe I still have stuff waiting from my lost lots...was that really about 10 years ago now?

Kza
03-07-2013, 09:01 PM
Don't think there was anything you could buy with cash, at least by ToA. Around then they modified their ToS to allow players to sell accounts as well.

I liked their housing system and I can't recall it being particularly buggy. The consignment merchant was very useful as was the ability to put crafting stations and raw material merchants in the house. Once you bought something for a hookpoint it was permanent but if you failed to keep-up your rent you would lose everything...except the stuff in chests as their was an npc that would hold that stuff for you. Heck maybe I still have stuff waiting from my lost lots...was that really about 10 years ago now?

And for me that succés was starting to the downfall also. The cities crafting places, where ppl were before went all of a sudden ghosttowns, all just sat in their houses and crafted. Atleast so for me. But yes was long time ago, i might remember wrong. (And waiting for a nightspawn, over 1rl hour waiting and then some other ran up and ninjaed...)

LordMond63
03-08-2013, 05:36 PM

Ah man...was it really ten years ago? I guess that's about right.

I was on one of the Role Playing servers at first but wandered over to the Co-Op server (Gaheris or "Carebear" as it was rudely referred to). I was in one of the larger Guilds on the regular server but, when I wandered back over there just to check it out after playing on Gaheris for a bit over a year, it was an absolute ghost town: village after village had no functioning houses in them- all were padlocked (yep- that was the actual graphic on a house for which rent was due). My Guild's village was totally shut down. I'm not sure which game effectively killed DAoC, but I'd guess that the playing (and paying) population decreased by 90% over about eighteen months. I hated that, because the game deserved better.

HunterjWizzard
03-08-2013, 07:05 PM
It was World of Warcraft. World of Warcraft killed DAOC. It was sad.

Ironically, WoW has no player housing whatsoever(or had, i haven't touched it in ages). So a good housing system wasn't enough to resist the siren call of WoW...

Of course WoW's siren call was more like that scene from The Simpsons where the sirens turn out to be Patty and Thelmma. But people still played it.

susiedupfer
03-09-2013, 10:54 AM
I think individual housing would pose to huge an issue to be viable in the near future. However, I think guild strongholds might be more feasible due to simply fewer ones out there. You could have your trophy rooms, your vaults(for bound to guild items?), each player(account) could have a room their toons could share. Perhaps you could have a tavern area with a spirit binder to regen hp and sp. Have size dependent on price rather than guild size, and some tiny guilds could purchase HUGE places if they chose to. Have amenities purchasable with plat, not based on guild size. This would level the playing field somewhat.

chance2000
03-09-2013, 11:26 AM
Well my 2 cp worth.
Do not think it will happen, would not mind it.
Turbine (WB) could make money off of it.
I think with the amount of players it might cause some problems "Housing issues"
The single player Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning you can get a house, a mine with an office, a villa in the Gnome city, another home in Rathir after you complete the wizard's quest line.
Towards the end game you also can get a castle. You can end up with like 5 or 6 places.
Think most or all have storage that are linked.
One cool thing about those is you can pay in game coin to have them updated plus there is a mirror where you can change your appearance.

Kilbar
03-09-2013, 11:43 AM
Star Wars Galaxies at its peak had more players than DDO currently has, had dozens of different styles of individual, player-placed houses that could be built into entire cities, and never once had a problem with it. In DDO's case, it would be far simpler to put together, as all housing would basically be instanced versions of a half dozen or so standard designs. If an older game like SWG could do it, why can't DDO?

HunterjWizzard
03-09-2013, 07:03 PM
I think individual housing would pose to huge an issue to be viable in the near future. However, I think guild strongholds might be more feasible due to simply fewer ones out there. .

Already have guild airships, now you want to drastically change that system? And again where does this leave the people who don't want to be in guilds, the small guilds, etc?

You could have your trophy rooms, your vaults(for bound to guild items?),.

A whole new class of items? Given the problems we have NOW, you suggest a whole new class of item binding, rather than just simplified individual player housing?!

Have size dependent on price rather than guild size, and some tiny guilds could purchase HUGE places if they chose to. Have amenities purchasable with plat, not based on guild size. This would level the playing field somewhat.

Not bad suggestions for changes to the CURRENT airship system(allow a 1-man guild to just use the current system as a housing system). The problem? It will make all of the crazy hardcore power-gamers madder than a ****-house rat. Propose any system at all that allows other players to have access to the current ameneties system without becoming bat-**** insane, and they will loose their collective minds.

It would be great to make a system dependant on price and not guild level, but you can't do that without ****ing off the extremely crazy demographic.

Arthnoxx
03-12-2013, 03:36 PM
All these ideas sound great. Turbine gets money, I get an awesome house. It's a win-win.

Gossamerblade
03-12-2013, 06:28 PM
I enjoy my house in LotRO, and I think Turbine could implement a similar housing system on DDO (although it's a pain to keep the rent paid).
Each neighborhood is an instance, with a limited number of buildings, small, double-size, and kinship-size(guild); those available for players to buy have a 'for sale' sign out front with the stats. Each neighborhood also has a bank and vendors. When a neighborhood fills up, another instance is added.
A personal house is account-wide, but you can set permissions for anyone to do any number of things that you can do (you can even let other folks pay your rent!).
Furnishing are bought from a dealer, crafted (not doable in DDO currently), or obtained from special events.
Players that don't care about housing certainly don't have to get a house; if they receive furnishing from somewhere, they just sell at the auction house.
Having such a system in DDO would, in my opinion, add another dimension to the game and (looks like) make quite a few people happier to be there.

HunterjWizzard
03-12-2013, 11:05 PM
I just wanna stop being a hobo-paladin...

Even totally instanced housing gives you the feeling that you have some impact on the world. I'm not a big fan of rent, honestly, but really I'd take anything at this point.

Kalari
03-13-2013, 03:36 PM
I just wanna stop being a hobo-paladin...

Even totally instanced housing gives you the feeling that you have some impact on the world. I'm not a big fan of rent, honestly, but really I'd take anything at this point.

Sorry had to respond to the bold, the whole "will lay on hands for food" popped into my head :p

Gossamerblade
03-13-2013, 04:21 PM
Sorry had to respond to the bold, the whole "will lay on hands for food" popped into my head :p

I hear that, with a webcam, you can make some gold with that act.

tiberius87
03-18-2013, 04:08 AM
Just noticed this thread, so I'll paste what I wrote last year in a similar one:

The whole idea that I love about D&D in general is the role-playing aspect. In DDO not having housing takes a lot away from the immersion factor. In games such as BG and IWD you were always on the road and getting to a village or city was a great relief as you knew you'd always find a friendly inn where you could rest and take care of all your repairing/selling needs.

DDO is centered around Stormreach, so I really find it hard to believe from an RP point of view that the thousands of characters sleep on the street. Ok, the farshifters and teleporters leave out the need for days of travel and inns at your destination (although I would like to see stuff in general chat like "it took you x hours to get to Red Fens or Threnal or whatever"). Would it really be that hard to implement upper floors in taverns? One cheap floor and one expensive floor for example in the market and harbour, while housing in taverns in the house enclaves could be unlocked via 150 favour (example House D allowing you to have a small room in the barracks or House K in a bank hotel lol).

Anyway, from a player's pov, it would really help a lot to have chests for TR gear, as others have already mentioned. Also having trophies or ornamental stuff on walls wouldn't be too shabby, although it's not high on my list. LotRO has done a great job with housing, and, again from an RP pov, I found it really neat to be able to log off knowing that my char was home :).

I play DDO mostly for the immersion factor, and with all the grinding and repeating that takes a lot away from this I'd really like something to give us back a little bit of that role-playing feel I've always loved in D&D games.

Shunlee123
03-18-2013, 04:26 AM
Strongly agree that toons can have their own houses in the city, just like that in Elders Scroll. Players will have a back-to-home feeling whenever they log in to the game. This sentimental point is surely beneficial from the angle of DDO ongoing business.

Yep, I acknowledge and understand the resources (server size and other hard and software requirements) required for the above is a major consideration. Hope DDO can seriously consider it. :)

Uska
03-18-2013, 04:39 AM
Star Wars Galaxies at its peak had more players than DDO currently has, had dozens of different styles of individual, player-placed houses that could be built into entire cities, and never once had a problem with it. In DDO's case, it would be far simpler to put together, as all housing would basically be instanced versions of a half dozen or so standard designs. If an older game like SWG could do it, why can't DDO?

SWG was designed with it in mind and compared to it anything they do for housing here would be a sad ugly thing.

~Monteverdi
05-04-2013, 06:22 PM
I just wanted to say: YES. This would be fresh air for players tired of grinding items (Torc, Shards, Seals, ...) and give DDO a little more... cozyness. And a warm feeling of belonging, not just being another random guy trying to stay alive more than 25s at the PvP Harbor or being pushed away from parties because you are a squishy drow elf... and... ok.

Anyway, a great idea. : )

Thayion516
08-19-2014, 06:27 AM
Im Bumping this as I still think this is a MUCH needed thing in DDO. It is almost an industry standard now that DDO is severely behind the curve on. I will restate my perspective on it:

There are only 4 real requirements IMO.

2) Many Item Storage/Addition (Badly needed in game)
4) Simple to Understand / Implement (use hook points and just reskin the ship Chest)

We get Storage and Space + Turbine turns a continuous Profit = All Wins.

Housing is a CASH-COW, in other games ive seen people spend ridiculous RL$$ to make their own home.

Uska
08-19-2014, 08:53 AM
I played EQ2 for a brief time at launch and it seems like you automatically got a house- "hovel" would be more precise- with your account. I think housing was account-based rather than character-based. Aside from that, my memory fails me as to details. It was just too long ago.

Of the games I've played, Dark Age of Camelot had the best player housing system. If you know the game, it had three Realms (Albion, Hibernia and Norse). Each realm had their own housing zones located not too far from their main city. Each realm had three types of houses, ranging from rather spartan to deluxe (with costs to match).

The process went like this: buy your lot, buy your house deed and let the customization begin! You could pick different materials for the outside of your house and different colors for them and place various trees.shrubs and things like wishing wells and sculptures in the yard (each cost coin so were very good plat sinks). Each house had a number of hookpoints, and these hookpoints could be used for anything from Trophies crafted from the remains of rare spawns to crafting tables, a personal teleporter, storage chests and many other things. The best aspect of the house, I thought, was that you could add a Porch to the outside and install a player merchant to sell your crafted goods, loot or whatever (and could also be used for more storage if needed). Your items were listed at a Master Merchant at the entrance of the housing zone (you could buy the item from the merchant and pay a convenience fee or hop a horse and ride to the individual house to save money). Houses were account-based, and it was not unusual for a Guild to get together and buy a large Guild Hall in a village (each zone had multiple villages of perhaps ten lots each) and Guild members buy up all of the other lots in the village so a Guild could claim the village as their own (and place your Guild emblem on the outside of the house as a tapestry). Houses had a "security system" that you could set so that you could allow all, some or none to enter and see your decorating taste.

Mythic, DAoC's developer, did it up right. The system was extraordinarily versatile, letting a player go as complex as they wanted to in putting their own stamp on their house, yet you could also choose to do only the basics (storage, bind stone and teleporter). I do not recall that Mythic had any sort of store from which you could buy various housing items for real money, so they relied on an increase in the number of subscribers that a good housing system would bring in. I can tell you that they had to expand housing multiple times on some servers to handle the increase in subscribers once word got around that their housing was a winner.

The absolute best housing ever done was SWG it made DAOC's housing look like ours! Also it had the best crafting which was needed to get your house but you didn't do that unless you were an architect yourself as far as placing the house if you got in enough people in the same area you could make a town with additional buildings like a hospital, bar and guild hall, now I know we can do that here and anything less would be a huge disappointment so I don't really care one way or another about housing here.

The_Human_Cypher
08-19-2014, 10:38 PM
I think individual housing would pose to huge an issue to be viable in the near future. However, I think guild strongholds might be more feasible due to simply fewer ones out there. You could have your trophy rooms, your vaults(for bound to guild items?), each player(account) could have a room their toons could share. Perhaps you could have a tavern area with a spirit binder to regen hp and sp. Have size dependent on price rather than guild size, and some tiny guilds could purchase HUGE places if they chose to. Have amenities purchasable with plat, not based on guild size. This would level the playing field somewhat.

Guild strongholds would be a good idea for buffs / storage in the Forgotten Realms and other D&D worlds if they are added later. As the steampunk themed airships only exist in Eberron, adding guild castles / fortresses would be a way to receive buffs and store items without returning to Eberron from other areas. The new airship models have laid the foundation for a guild building as the airships are basically flying fortresses at this point.

Robbenklopper
08-20-2014, 05:15 AM
That's one of the furniture pieces you could get, chests. Chests, drawers, dressers... It's a home. And you can invite people inside simply by grouping with them. You can give people the ability to actually take and leave things there via the same control panel you pay rent with.

This idea has been percolating in my mind literally since I first started playing half a decade ago. Back then, I came here from Star Wars Galaxies where players could create entire cities that would appear on the in-game world maps.

:D i really Support that idea, it´s fun. But furniture for loot? No please.

Guildy: "Guys, let´s farm Cabal, I want that Kings throne" :D

Zasral
08-20-2014, 04:25 PM

I am a man. I need a man cave!

TrinityTurtle
08-21-2014, 11:07 AM

I don't think it would be a huge issue at all. IN fact, Turbine produces Lotro, which has BOTH individual player housing and guild housing. They already know how to do and manage the functionality, would just be a matter of justifying to the bosses that it would be worth spending their dev time on.

And tying everything to a guild isn't a great idea, not everyone is in a guild, or wants to be. I've known several top level players who didn't want to be in a guild and liked being freelance. Those players are customers too and deserve consideration when designing things like this.

Thayion516
08-25-2014, 08:50 PM
I think strongholds and keeps are asking a little too much. I know some other games had th from the ground up when they were Coded, but DDO was not so I think it's a little unreasonable.

However! I do think it's reasonable for a door in House X that leads to a 1 or 2 room instance. Hook points already exist for placing furniture or other items and chests can easily be reskinned to look like a dresser or armor rack. There is even a chest that already attaches to a hook on the ship.

Player housing in any functional form is a great idea and would make turbine $$.

Do it.

JOTMON
08-26-2014, 02:39 PM
Using ship/ portable hole as a template, housing shouldn't be that difficult to create.

All you need is a Door in the open area's .. could even use the guild ship entrances and add a port house option.

DDO store win. sale of cosmetics, sale of furniture, sale of size upgrades, sales of wall decorations, windows, viewscapes, sale of upper lower floors.
Sales of mannequins to equip and hold weapons/gear.. book cases, display cases, weapon racks, fireplace, owlbear carpet that hoots when you walk on it.
Sale of front/back yards & garden centres..
Sale of doorways to port to guildship, other destinations.

soo many options for a cosmetic crew to craft... strictly DDO store for $ would pay for itself and more.

could make guildship items placeable in housing units.. or sell home versions of various vendors/buffs etc...

add portal to ships to enter "crew quarters" or personal housing area's.

lots of sellable money opportunities.. people in MMO's want this stuff and will pay to get them.

The other money maker for MMO's is custom personal cosmetics.. we are seeing a taste of this coming..
but the potential is huge and DDO is just scratching the surface.
custom armor kits, guild uniforms,.. hair dressers, ... I know it souds crazy but my wife is a WOW fanantic and she spends hours and $$$ in cosmetic shops.

I don't see DDO players being any less vain.

Seikojin
08-26-2014, 03:11 PM
Just to daydream for a moment...

This would make for a great intermediary Favor benchmark. Earn X favor with a faction or house - gain the right to purchase property there. Start with a small apartment - earn up to a Syndicate size mansion with max favor in the house.

Each favor faction's housing would have it's own style and motif suited to the faction, and houses could have hookpoints for personalizing amenities. No buffs, however... keep those the bailiwick of the Guild Ships. These would be for decor/trophies/storage options only. No timers on them, unless the owner wants to swap them out for something new. Beat VoN - unlock a set of VoN trophies for the house - etc.

Want to invite somebody over? Modify the Airship Beacon to be a House beacon, and invite folks over.

...sigh. It was a nice dream, but I don't think it's going to go beyond that.

To expand, in the largest sense, you could have pawn brokers to sell gear on. Ahh Ultima Online...

The_Human_Cypher
09-04-2014, 10:32 PM
I found this interesting series of articles on player housing in MMOs. One article is specifically about LOTRO player housing

http://nerdybookahs.wordpress.com/2014/01/10/housing-in-mmos-lord-of-the-rings-online/

Let's hope that player housing gets some attention in 2015.

The_Human_Cypher
09-20-2014, 04:59 PM
Good article from Massively.com on Player Housing in MMOs. Don't repeat the mistakes of the past. I hope the devs read this article.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/09/19/working-as-intended-lessons-from-the-history-of-mmo-housing/

harry-pancreas
09-22-2014, 12:25 PM
maybe furniture could be auto-granted by completing quests

i want the table you find in sins's of attrition, thatone where you pick the quest item for the last boss :P

and there was a really nice chair/throne but don't remember where

The_Human_Cypher
09-22-2014, 12:44 PM
maybe furniture could be auto-granted by completing quests

i want the table you find in sins's of attrition, thatone where you pick the quest item for the last boss :P

and there was a really nice chair/throne but don't remember where

DDO has more flexibility than LOTRO in terms of its lore appropriate items. Player housing could have a number of different themes, including a Shavarath theme (a very DOOM-esque, futuristic layout). Other themes could be similar to LOTRO like a pastoral House J theme for halfings, House P for elves, etc. Player and Guild housing could have different options for Eberron and the Forgotten Realms, with two sets of housing for the two campaign settings.

harry-pancreas
09-23-2014, 11:38 AM
DDO has more flexibility than LOTRO in terms of its lore appropriate items. Player housing could have a number of different themes, including a Shavarath theme (a very DOOM-esque, futuristic layout). Other themes could be similar to LOTRO like a pastoral House J theme for halfings, House P for elves, etc. Player and Guild housing could have different options for Eberron and the Forgotten Realms, with two sets of housing for the two campaign settings.

i know nothing about LOTRO but, yeah sure, i just want that table

Psiandron
09-23-2014, 12:46 PM
I've thought for a long time that Turbine missed the boat on the housing thing. I think that maybe they were afraid of fostering the wrong image and perhaps driving away the more hard-core players.

Anywho, I think that they could make a rolickingly huge pile of cash off a housing system. And, I would think it could be pretty non-taxing on the servers if done correctly.

Personally, all I want is more options for storing stuff. I'd like to be able to have something like one or more large guild chests available per character. Somewhere that I could put things for interim or long-term storage, separate from the bank. And yes I have a fully-buffed shared bank and TR caches.

Taurnish
09-23-2014, 01:37 PM
I would pay for character housing with turbine points. I think many players would and I would finally have a place to call my own in DDO. I enjoy the ships and think the "buffs" should be on guild ships only but a player could "earn" trophies, furniture, etc. by completing quests. Also, items could be sold in the DDO store and occasionally fall in chest loot.

I certainly hope the Devs consider the financial windfall of character housing.

Thanks
--Lorr

Using ship/ portable hole as a template, housing shouldn't be that difficult to create.

All you need is a Door in the open area's .. could even use the guild ship entrances and add a port house option.

DDO store win. sale of cosmetics, sale of furniture, sale of size upgrades, sales of wall decorations, windows, viewscapes, sale of upper lower floors.
Sales of mannequins to equip and hold weapons/gear.. book cases, display cases, weapon racks, fireplace, owlbear carpet that hoots when you walk on it.
Sale of front/back yards & garden centres..
Sale of doorways to port to guildship, other destinations.

soo many options for a cosmetic crew to craft... strictly DDO store for $ would pay for itself and more.

could make guildship items placeable in housing units.. or sell home versions of various vendors/buffs etc...

add portal to ships to enter "crew quarters" or personal housing area's.

lots of sellable money opportunities.. people in MMO's want this stuff and will pay to get them.

The other money maker for MMO's is custom personal cosmetics.. we are seeing a taste of this coming..
but the potential is huge and DDO is just scratching the surface.
custom armor kits, guild uniforms,.. hair dressers, ... I know it souds crazy but my wife is a WOW fanantic and she spends hours and $$$ in cosmetic shops.

I don't see DDO players being any less vain.

Thayion516
10-08-2014, 07:41 AM
Again, people in General Discussion are begging for more storage.

It's a great idea Turbine.

Robai
10-08-2014, 06:30 PM
If Player Housing, by chance, includes more BtC storage, then yes, please.
Otherwise it's just a waste of devs time IMO, but if some players would actually pay for that (like some do for companions or other "important/whatever" things) then I understand that it might be a good idea.
But the additional bankable BtC space is by far much more important thing (and by far would sell better).

I've seen more than 10 threads about Player Housing in the last 2 years, most of them wasn't talking about more storage (or at least storage didn't really matter), so now I'm usually skeptical about Player Housing thing.
And I'm sure that many players who say "yes, we want Player Housing" actually means "yes, more bank space please".

Thayion516
10-08-2014, 08:29 PM
Thats because Player Housing in every other MMO functions as Storage, Cosmetic, AND a Revenue stream.

It can be easily designed to do all 3. WILL do all 3.... It has proven its self time and time again in other games, including Turbines LOTRO.

Functional Housing has to do these things to be viable, at a absolute minimum:

2) Item Storage/Addition (Badly needed in game)
4) Simple to Understand / Implement (use hook points and just reskin the ship Chest into diff containers)
5) Be accessible on a large scale basis

Everything else is frosting on the cake. But I do like frosting!!

The_Human_Cypher
12-11-2014, 08:31 AM
Star Wars: The Old Republic (SWTOR) has a really well developed player housing system which I am sure is a cash cow for that MMO.

http://swtorstrongholds.com/

I hope that DDO revisits adding player housing to the game in 2015.

cdbd3rd
12-11-2014, 08:37 AM
And I'm sure that many players who say "yes, we want Player Housing" actually means "yes, more bank space please".

...and then sometimes it's just about the decorating. ;)

http://i621.photobucket.com/albums/tt291/cdbd3rd/InnLeagueBear.jpg (http://s621.photobucket.com/user/cdbd3rd/media/InnLeagueBear.jpg.html)

The_Human_Cypher
12-11-2014, 08:49 AM
I already have my Xoriat themed apartment plotted out, along with a lava lamp. :)