PDA

View Full Version : dodge and evasion

DeKalbSun
02-26-2013, 10:44 AM
Just a quick question I havent been able to find the answer to. Do dodge and evasion work together, or does evasion cancel out dodge? I'm think of swapping some feats out on my ranger and if dodge is not needed with evasion then it might have to go.
Thanks for any help

gphysalis
02-26-2013, 10:46 AM
They are completely different:

Dodge: 3% chance that enemies miss you

Evasion: when you pass a reflex save, you take no damage instead of half

Fedora
02-26-2013, 10:48 AM
Also just a reminder if you are taking the Tempest PrE you need Dodge as one of the required feats.

DeKalbSun
02-26-2013, 11:27 AM
cool thanks for your responces

Phemt81
03-06-2013, 05:30 PM

Just want to make crystal clear that dodge isn't fixed at 3%, but is a stackable percentage increased by feats, items and class features.

The max dodge achievable depends on what armor you are wearing and if you use a robe or an outfit is capped at 25%, but using blur, displacement, ghostly and class abilities you can even surpass that limit for a certain amount of time.

Have fun.

gphysalis
03-06-2013, 05:34 PM
The dodge feat gives you a 3% dodge chance.

The OP specifically mentioned swapping feats, so I was describing the dodge feat.

There are other sources of dodge besides the dodge feat, and your total dodge bonus caps based on your armor.

If your dodge would be greater than your max dex bonus, but your armor is capping it, then you should switch out the dodge feat. Otherwise, its a nice bonus.

EllisDee37
03-07-2013, 12:58 AM
They are completely different:

Evasion: when you pass a reflex save, you take no damage instead of halfFurther:

Dodge only ever applies to physical attacks (melee, archers)

Evasion only ever applies to spells (eg: fireball) and physical* traps (eg: acid spray, spinning blades, etc...)

Never the twain shall meet.

*Eveningstar traps -- spell wards -- are will saves and as such ignore evasion.

HungarianRhapsody
03-07-2013, 01:29 AM
Special note on Evasion: it only works when you *succeed* in your saving throw.

Normally, you take half damage from various spells and traps when you make your Reflex save successfully. With Evasion, you take 0 damage instead of half damage.

If you do not have Evasion and you fail your Reflex save, you take full damage.
If you do have Evasion and you fail your Reflex save, you take full damage.

As a result, everyone with Evasion should want to pump their Reflex save as high as possible without sacrificing significant other aspects of their character.

...of course, even taking half damage is better than taking full damage from spells and traps, so characters who do not have Evasion are also encouraged to pump their Reflex saves. :)