PDA

View Full Version : Ran into my first wall playing the game...

Magic_Emperor
02-25-2013, 07:19 PM
The final boss of Necropolis II (The Shadow Crypt- Nerezza).
Is there some "trick" to killing him, or do I just got to get stronger?
I get him down to 90% gone and he does his shadow clone jutsu garbage and his clones wipe me and my hireling.
After three deaths I gave up. (Normal level of difficulty)

Level 10 axe/shield fighter with level 10 cleric hire.
I have a deathblock item (but no protection from fear yet which would help I guess). Also my best silver weapon to use against him is the long sword from The Catacombs. It's kinda weak, maybe that's the reason I'm failing...

Mindos
02-25-2013, 07:30 PM
http://ddowiki.com/page/The_Shadow_Crypt

Clones have half as many hit points...

also

https://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=2798315&postcount=3

nibel
02-25-2013, 07:43 PM
Before U17, I used to equip a cursepewer when soloing it on a melee, since the curse mark would stay as a way to identify the correct one. Now that curse have a much smaller duration, this trick might not work anymore.

Stock up on cure potions, and bring a hireling with wall of fire. I think there is a sorcerer and a wizard with those spells at your level range.

redspecter23
02-25-2013, 07:45 PM
Being able to attack multiple mobs at once will help. If you can cleave and great cleave, you can use that after he spawns back in. If he dissipates with low hp, he comes back with relatively low hp, but with greater numbers of copies. If you're looking for a great weapon, the Cannith challenge greataxe at level 12 with masterful craftsmanship and righteousness crafted on is what I use when I'm on a melee solo. It's still not as easy as having a caster around, but it gets the job done. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but you need silver, good and slashing to fully bypass his DR I think.

Forgeborn
02-25-2013, 07:57 PM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but you need silver, good and slashing to fully bypass his DR I think.

Old developer quote (http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=1530312&postcount=19)
Normal: DR 10 silver and magic, DR 2 adamantine
Hard: DR 12 silver and magic, DR 6 adamantine
Elite: DR 15 silver and magic, DR 9 adamantine

Cyndrome
02-25-2013, 07:57 PM
Dump your cleric hireling. Take one of the warforged casters with wall of fire. It destroys everything in the crypts.

fco-karatekid
02-25-2013, 08:07 PM
Dump your cleric hireling. Take one of the warforged casters with wall of fire. It destroys everything in the crypts.

Given the possibility the cursespewer trick (which I used to use as well) might be caught up in the Cursespewer nerf, this is probably the best option for the moment.

AZgreentea
02-25-2013, 08:11 PM
The trick of keeping him targeted dosent work anymore? Well... that is disappointing. :( I always thought of it as keeping your eye on the ball during the cup game, but now I will have to try something else.

Magic_Emperor
02-25-2013, 09:23 PM

Sounds like a plan. There is lvl 8 Flare but since I'm two inches from lvl 11 I can hold out because there's two lvl 11 hires with Firewall I can choose from.

Magic_Emperor
02-25-2013, 09:28 PM
Oh and can more than one wall of fire be up at once?
What's the limit (if any)?

EllisDee37
02-26-2013, 10:48 PM
Oh and can more than one wall of fire be up at once?
What's the limit (if any)?Yes, unlimited. They don't stack, but you can cover a larger area with multiple.

Ryiah
02-27-2013, 05:53 AM
The trick of keeping him targeted dosent work anymore?

Last I knew Arcane and Divine DOTs would stick on him. You could try using a weapon that applies a DOT-like effect like the Elemental Longbow of Earth (first item that came to mind, I don't remember if there are others).

psykopeta
02-27-2013, 08:05 AM
fight near the light, his dr decreases

place several firewalls (a bit separated) you can have 2 firewalls hitting at same time depending where are you placed and where the boss is staying

Mastikator
02-27-2013, 08:55 AM
Get a silver holy 2handed weapon. Step into the circle.
I know you're a Sword & Board build, but that's a defensive build and this vampire regains life FAST, so you need to burst damage him. Drink a Haste potion and use a 2handed weapon, they do much more damage and can be used by Sword & Board builds fairly easily, you need to do as much damage per second as possible, your cleric can heal you, focus 100% on damage. Remember, your enemies can't hurt you if they're dead.
If use have Cleave, use spam it when he creates the clones. In fact, just spam Cleave all the time, against everything in all circumstances. Melees should always spam Cleave, always, yes even then.

nivarch
02-27-2013, 09:18 AM
Melees should always spam Cleave, always, yes even then.

Rest is correct. This is wrong.
Obviously don't cleave when there are fascinated monsters.
And I'm pretty sure there is some analysis showing that cleave is actually a DPS loss on single target (at cap probably)

Spoonwelder
02-27-2013, 09:47 AM
And I'm pretty sure there is some analysis showing that cleave is actually a DPS loss on single target (at cap probably)

It works fine on single opponents - not a mathy type but.....if you spam cleave your only DPS loss is the windup time - this is somewhat offset by the +x[W] that you get from cleave/great cleave. But, and here is why it works on single opponents, most cleavers spam cleave and great cleave (+supreme cleave on a Barb) and when strung together the windup on the second is not as noticeable(I personally think it disappears). In that case you get a two cleave actions with only the time lost on one windup.....which with the +W on both makes up for the time loss.

Thus in most instances even for a single enemy its worth it.....that said the cool downs may mean it's not the best choice if you have only one opponent at this second but the swarm is decending on you in 2 seconds.

Mastikator
02-27-2013, 09:56 AM
Ok, I'll grant you fascinated monsters.
At non-epic the windup time is offset by the +1/2[W] and the fact that it resets the attack animation increasing the amount of attacks that benefit from gracing hit. Also, cleave is not affected by slowing effects, if slowed, use cleave.
Also, cleave is NOT affected by the pause from action boosts, so boost -> cleave is faster than boost -> regular attack.
At cap, you'll want cleave to reset one of them LD special attacks, forgot which.

stefferweffer
02-27-2013, 12:49 PM
Do Cleave/Great Cleave proc the offhand attack when two weapon fighting? I don't think they do.

So it may be that after you are at 80% 2WF, Cleave and Great Cleave are not as useful anymore, if using 2WF.

My 12 Monk is using them now sometimes, but after level 15 (Greater TWF) I imagine I will be switching them out.

(Now if I am wrong and they do proc offhand, then that's just win/win IMO.)

FranOhmsford
02-27-2013, 01:02 PM
Sounds like a plan. There is lvl 8 Flare but since I'm two inches from lvl 11 I can hold out because there's two lvl 11 hires with Firewall I can choose from.

Flare's Pretty awesome - If you're WF he'll repair you too.

At Lvl 11 - Take Toad! - Fantastic Hireling!
Make sure you get him to Stoneskin you AND himself!

The Fighter Mikayl is also useful in Shadow Crypt if you go the wrong way 1 too many times and have used up your DDoor Clickie {He has the Dragonmark that allows him to cast this spell}.

As a S+B Fighter with the Blade of Inquisition {This is great at low levels but by the time you get to Shadow Crypt you should be using something better} Get yourself a Silver Greatsword!
If you have the crafting levels craft +2 Holy on it!
If you don't have the crafting levels check the AH for +2 enhancement and Holy shards cheap AND/OR ask in Trade chat in House K for someone who can make you those shards.

Power Attack, Cleave and Great Cleave are Virtually must have feats for any melee build incl. Stalwart Fighters!
If you grab B-Sword Prof you can use your Two Handed feats while Sword +Boarding too!
A Silver B-Sword may be slightly cheaper on the AH than the same Greatsword {D-Axes if you're a Dwarf tend to be considerably cheaper}!

P.S. The level 10 Cleric Hire Fayden is phenomenally squishy + Turn Undead on Hirelings is a complete waste of time!
The 2 Lvl 9 Clerics are MUCH better in my opinion!
I personally prefer Marissa for DV as I usually have SPs BUT she stands pretty even with Samuel for a None SP class too.

Mastikator
02-27-2013, 04:00 PM
Do Cleave/Great Cleave proc the offhand attack when two weapon fighting? I don't think they do.

So it may be that after you are at 80% 2WF, Cleave and Great Cleave are not as useful anymore, if using 2WF.

My 12 Monk is using them now sometimes, but after level 15 (Greater TWF) I imagine I will be switching them out.

(Now if I am wrong and they do proc offhand, then that's just win/win IMO.)

My unarmed ranger proc's off-hand attacks with cleave and greater cleave when I test against the training doll.

Missing_Minds
02-27-2013, 04:31 PM
Old developer quote (http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=1530312&postcount=19)
Normal: DR 10 silver and magic, DR 2 adamantine
Hard: DR 12 silver and magic, DR 6 adamantine
Elite: DR 15 silver and magic, DR 9 adamantine

Yeap, that sounds about right. The boss wears adamantine armor. Go figure. :)