PDA

View Full Version : Voice + Mantle effect against Incorporeal?

stefferweffer
02-24-2013, 07:50 AM
Does "True Seeing" granted by these items allow me to ignore Blur, Incorporeal and Displacement effects on Monsters?

I had both equipped yesterday in a dungeon that had wraiths, and the word Incorporeal kept popping up on screen. I didn't know if the game always does that regardless of True Seeing, or if I was actually missing more because of it.

Thanks for the clarification.

knockcocker
02-24-2013, 07:55 AM
Not incorporeal; blue and displacement yes.

You need Ghost Touch (or Etheral or Ghostly equipment) to negate incorporeal.

Matuse
02-24-2013, 10:13 AM
Incorporeal isn't a question of seeing the monster, the issue is that a portion of the monster isn't physically present when you swing at it.

True Seeing works vs Blur/Displacement.

To beat Incorporeal, you need Ghost Touch on your weapon, Ghostly on an accessory, or some class feature (several classes and EDs have this) that gives the ability to ignore Incorporeality.

cidchronic
02-24-2013, 10:16 AM
blur/dispalcment dont make them harder to see, just harder to hit.
true seeing let you see thing that are hidden, invisible, etc..

Mastikator
02-24-2013, 04:05 PM
An interesting note about True Seeing is that though it doesn't let you hit incorporeal monsters, it does let you see them. For instance, when a Phase Spider phases into the ethereal plane, you can't hit it, but with True Seeing you can still see it as slightly transparent. (though you should be able to hit them with ghost touch weapons)

danzig138
02-24-2013, 11:34 PM
blur/dispalcment dont make them harder to see, just harder to hit.
true seeing let you see thing that are hidden, invisible, etc..

. . . Blur and displacement make things harder to hit by obscuring the subjects to vision. In effect, making them harder to see clearly. That's why True Seeing allows you to ignore the modifiers imposed by blur and displacement.

As noted, this has no effect on incorporeal creatures. In theory, you could be able to see an incorporeal creature sharp and clear as anything. You just can't touch it very easily.

Phaeton_Seraph
02-25-2013, 08:06 AM
In addition to Ghost Touch, you may eventually come across the Ethereal Bracers, which allow you to hit ghostly ethereal things with any weapons.

cidchronic
02-25-2013, 11:18 AM
. . . Blur and displacement make things harder to hit by obscuring the subjects to vision. In effect, making them harder to see clearly. That's why True Seeing allows you to ignore the modifiers imposed by blur and displacement.

As noted, this has no effect on incorporeal creatures. In theory, you could be able to see an incorporeal creature sharp and clear as anything. You just can't touch it very easily.

When someone is blured or displaced you can still see them without true seeing.. And I have seen displacement above the mobs head when i try to hit them, they are displaced and i have true seeing, so I have not experienced that true seeing by-passes blur/displacement

I suspect that you are the one who gave me neg rep for my post

Krelar
02-25-2013, 11:59 AM
I have seen displacement above the mobs head when i try to hit them, they are displaced and i have true seeing, so I have not experienced that true seeing by-passes blur/displacement

I have never experienced this with true seeing. Did you have a hireling out? You also see their damage so it may have been that they were missing due to displacement. Other possibilities. You accidentally swapped out your true seeing item and forgot to put it back on. You experienced a rare bug.

cidchronic
02-25-2013, 12:57 PM
I have never experienced this with true seeing. Did you have a hireling out? You also see their damage so it may have been that they were missing due to displacement. Other possibilities. You accidentally swapped out your true seeing item and forgot to put it back on. You experienced a rare bug.

I think the true seeing on items is bugged and has been for a while, sometines i have to unequip and re-equip to find doors, good chance that this is what i am experience while fighting mobs, dont notice unless i know there is a hidden door or invis mob, then i know to re-equuip it.

hard to know what is WAI when everyone experiences things different, sorry if I confused anyone.

EDIT: i know some mobs will cast true seeing and my blur/displacemnet still applies, so that means that they dont by-pass my blur/displacement but apparently I can by-pass theirs, sure would like to know which is WAI, thx and keep gaming

Dhalgren
02-25-2013, 01:07 PM
When someone is blured or displaced you can still see them without true seeing..

Blur and displacement do not make things invisible, they just obscure the outlines somewhat, confusing the eye and making enemies more likely to take a swing at part of you which isn't where they thought it was.

http://ddowiki.com/page/Blur
http://ddowiki.com/page/Displacement

Note that neither is defeated by See Invisibility, but both are defeated by True Seeing. See Invisibility just makes invisible things visible, while True Seeing reveals things for what they really are.

And I have seen displacement above the mobs head when i try to hit them, they are displaced and i have true seeing, so I have not experienced that true seeing by-passes blur/displacement
As others have said, this can happen if you have a hireling active and they take a swing at a blurred/displaced mob but do not have True Seeing active.

I suspect that you are the one who gave me neg rep for my postNote that complaining about neg rep on the forums can be considered an offense by the mods (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=184383), so you might want to edit that bit out.

Menace13
02-25-2013, 01:15 PM
Note that complaining about neg rep on the forums can be considered an offense by the mods (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=184383), so you might want to edit that bit out.

Partly why Rep systems never work. It's such a dumb system. Anonymous button pushers online--- yeah, that'll work out /sarcasm

Also, He couldn't give you neg rep because he needs more rep than he currently has in order to give out neg rep.