PDA

View Full Version : First time lvl 20, FTP, what do i do now?

tunnelwormyipyip
02-22-2013, 06:44 AM
I just reached lvl 20 with my first character, and upon reaching it I am given a quest to visit the epic destiny trainer, but I can't use epic destinies unless I buy them. I'm not one of those people who is completely against spending money on this game, but is there really any free to play quests and objectives to go toward without spending money/favor farming? I've read the wiki about reincarnations, and that seems like something to do, but to get the wood needed for TR I'd need to do P2P dungeons on epic difficulty to get the tokens to trade for it. Also, if I keep doing things now at lvl 20, will I lose the experience toward any epic destinies if i choose to buy them in the future? or do my experience points simply stop going up from level 20 unless I buy epic destinies? Thanks for any advice.

nibel
02-22-2013, 07:01 AM
The Web of Chaos chain on Harbor is free, and have epic modes. You can also level up to 25 without buying anything, and get +1 ability, 2 feats, +5 skills and a bunch of HP.

However, I strongly advise for you to get the expansion, for the Drow chain and Epic Destinies. EDs alone multiply your power level by insane ammounts, to the point that a level 20 character with a single ED at level 5 is much stronger than a level 25 character with no ED.

Dasthug
02-22-2013, 07:18 AM
I would say that if you enjoyed playing the game enough to get a character to 20 as F2P, then you should probably invest a little money into it to open your options. The expansion was recently reduced in price on the website market (NOT the in-game ddo store), and can provide a significant bang for the buck. The mid-range edition comes with all the eveningstar/underdark content pre-update 16, destines, druid class, 4 extra eberron adventure packs, 1000 turbine points, level 4 veteran status, and a single Greater tome of learning for one of your characters. Link is here:
http://store.turbine.com/store/turbine/en_US/pd/ThemeID.29252200/productID.246618200/categoryID.58733100/parentCategoryID.58516100

I believe it's currently around $30? The website lists the price in british pounds for me for some reason, o I can't verify, but it's a fairly compelling deal. You get a whole lot of post-20 content out of it, as well as a nice bonus of leveling content for new characters or TR's.

Gkar
02-22-2013, 07:19 AM
Your realistic options are:

1) TR using the very small number of epic free quests
2) Buy the expansion
3) Congrats, that character is done, roll a second one and start again

I recommend (2).

It's not a huge investment, you obviously enjoy the game, and L21-25 pretty much requires you to pay to play as those levels, without epic destinies, are pretty much a waste of time.

Dasthug
02-22-2013, 08:25 AM
I just checked, Standard edition of MoTU (the one with the features I mentioned) is currently only $17.50. That's a very good deal, and I'd definitely recommend anyone who managed to make it to 20 as F2P to pick it up.

jbleargh
02-22-2013, 08:32 AM
You can farm the f2p epics, get a heart and tr.... will be boring and at your second life things will be even more grindy (maybe impossible) without any adventure packs.

You can buy some packs with epic version, grind tokens and TR. I would recommend Devil Assault/Chronoscope for that... Devil Assault gives 2 tokens and raid gives you quite good easy to get twink gear for your future endeavours.

If you like THF melee, buy the Carnival and you can make an eAntique while farming the tokens.

At a 2nd life, you will probably need some 16-20 content. Vale is a sure bet. IQ/Dreaming Dark gives easy XP. LoB, Amrath and Reaver's Fate have far more interesting quests than IQ, but may not be the most efficient XP/min.

The second option is buy the expansion pack with epic destinies. There is a lot of content and epic destinies are fun.

I would go with the expansion paying with real money... so you also automatically upgrade to "premium" (2 free character slots and other perks).