PDA

View Full Version : Another Spell Pass

soulaeon
02-14-2013, 02:02 PM
After the introduction of Epic Destinies, it seems appropriate that another global examination for arcane and divine spells may be in order. Specifically, some spells are now terribly outdated or cost too much for what they do compared to the new destinies.
I dont play a divine caster, so my criticism can only be limited to arcane spells. These are just some of the few that could be changed at the least.

Hold Monster costs 50 SP, and it seems like most people use Otto's or just pure DPS which can cost less. This is a very inefficient spell at best, though I hesitate to say useless.
Mordenkainen's Disjunction. Need I say more? Remove this and replace with more level 9 spells, or give monsters some gear to be dispelled!
Rage is all the rage, but what does it do that is actually fight-turning? Sorry but this is just a comfort buff because the benefit is very small and no one will miss it if they cant have it-- I may be bias being used to running with people that are good without any such buffs, but the benefit is still very meager. My suggestion would be to slightly scale the benefit with the caster level with the duration as-is (up to double effect at level 25).
Featherfall is very common on gear and easily crafted. No one really memorizes this spell any more, unless unaware how easily attainable it can be. Replace with something new.
Obscuring Mist or Fog Cloud are redundant with the massive amounts of cloud spells already available (none of which scale with the Air savant prestige cough-cough). Replace with something new.
Disrupt Undead is a fun spell, but the cost is huge if used by mid-level, not even worth using most of the time. Lower the cost or replace with something else.
Haste is pretty good, but the AC and reflex could be raised or scaled with level to make it more than just a movement and attack speed buff.

Charononus
02-14-2013, 02:11 PM
I disagree on most of it.

Hold is useful even at higher cost because of the +dmg you get on it that you don't get on dancing, rage is great as it does up con and str, useful if no one has primal scream, it's not game breaking if you don't have it but it is very useful, haste is useful as is, while the ac and reflex + is low we really don't need more added to it for the spell to be useful. Disjunction however is worthless (unless you are a mob, cue bowser to come in with a post), and while ff isn't that great not every level one spell needs to have a use at endgame.

soulaeon
02-14-2013, 02:19 PM
Hold is useful even at higher cost because of the +dmg you get on it that you don't get on dancing, rage is great as it does up con and str, useful if no one has primal scream, it's not game breaking if you don't have it but it is very useful, haste is useful as is, while the ac and reflex + is low we really don't need more added to it for the spell to be useful. Disjunction however is worthless (unless you are a mob, cue bowser to come in with a post), and while ff isn't that great not every level one spell needs to have a use at endgame.
I'll grant you that Hold can add additional damage, but do you see people spamming that more often, or do you see them going for mass Otto's when they need a CC spell? Do people spam this spell in Epic Elites, where the drow have huge spell resistance and will saves?
Rage is still a comfort buff. You're looking at it from the better-than-nothing perspective, which I find to be a low standard for a spell. No one has ever blamed a wipe because they were not Raged the whole time (except possibly Axer ;)), and no healers complain that the group is not always Raged so that they have those extra few HP to heal. This spell could be better by scaling the effect, at the very least. Look at Tenser's Transformation, that effect is way better than Rage now that it has changed.

Ganolyn
02-14-2013, 02:31 PM
I'd be happy if they just changed ablative spells to no timer. To have a time limit on something that deteriorates with damage is moronic.

Dhalgren
02-14-2013, 02:33 PM
Not signed. I have no problem with adding spells, or taking a look at how some of the current ones work, but I see no value in removing existing spells.

Ganolyn
02-14-2013, 02:33 PM
Look at Tenser's Transformation, that effect is way better than Rage now that it has changed.

Not really a good comparison. Rage is a fairly cheap (if short lived) whole party buff. Tenser's only affects you.