PDA

View Full Version : Shintao Monk Combos?

stefferweffer
02-12-2013, 09:08 AM
I just made my first Monk. I'm surviving OK, but I never know how/when to do my finishing move. I want to do the Healing Ki move as a finisher, since I want to specialize in healing.

What are the best combos at level 7 to set up Healing Ki as the finisher? What if I want to switch to the fire burth finisher instead? At this level I don't have a lot of Ki stored up at any one time.

Thanks for your help.

Dexol
02-12-2013, 09:13 AM
finishing moves is one of those very simple things that can confuse the hell out of a Mensa member until the day it "clicks"

http://ddowiki.com/page/Finishing_Moves
^read this

basically you have ki strikes and a finisher button, press 3 strikes in the correct order, and then hit the finisher button, which will change to show a prepared finisher (its in feats if its not on your hotbar), remember that your concentration score determines your the amount of ki you can store.

so healing ki:
1 fists of light
2 fists of light
3 fists of light
4 finisher button - casts healing ki
(your Shinto strikes can be used in place of fists of light as they are "light" moves)

if you can hold 30 ki when you enter a quest
1 water strike
2 fists of light
3 water strike
4 finisher button - casts aligning heavens, -25% spell point costs for your casters for a minute, great for buffing

soon it will suddenly make sense

Mastikator
02-12-2013, 09:14 AM
The light finisher is imo one of the most underrated power that monks have. Use Fists Of Light 3 times, it doesn't matter if it lands, just that you use the attack, then you can use the finishing move, provided you have enough Ki. You'll start to glow and electric sounds hum from your body when you can do finishers.
Try meditating out of quests to get Ki and practice your finishing moves. You need 40 ki to use the light finisher (light -> light -> light -> finisher, each 10 ki). It's very easy once you get the hang of it and immensely useful, especially when there's lots of players.
Also, devotion items help for the finisher.

stefferweffer
02-12-2013, 10:14 AM
Thank you guys. I think I may be scared that these Ki strikes do less damage than my normal handwrap attacks. But I hope I'm just misunderstanding and that they actually do ADDITIONAL damage to your normal handwraps.

Do these Ki strikes do EXTRA damage to your attacks? Because if not, 1-6 damage for 10k seems to be a pretty bad deal.

FuzzyDuck81
02-12-2013, 10:26 AM
Thank you guys. I think I may be scared that these Ki strikes do less damage than my normal handwrap attacks. But I hope I'm just misunderstanding and that they actually do ADDITIONAL damage to your normal handwraps.

Do these Ki strikes do EXTRA damage to your attacks? Because if not, 1-6 damage for 10k seems to be a pretty bad deal.

Yep the ki strikes (the finishers are somewhat different) add to the damage done, and stack with everything on your weapons... as something of a side-note the reason people will often try to get as high in the earth line as possible (even if they don't use earth stance itself) is that earth strikes actually add to the base damage (instead of adding an extra bit of elemental damage) so it'll also be multiplied on crits.

Fists of light only does extra damage to undead, however it'll also stick the healing curse on an enemy (except certain things that are immune to curses like the red-named devils) which will cause 1d2 hp healing on every successful melee attack against them by anyone in the party (will be boosted by healing amp like all healing effects) so many light-side monks will often end up interspersing it a lot with other attacks & taking a surprising amount of burden off the party's "real" healers. In some of those low-level quests where you encounter gargoyles, if they go into their healing shell you can actually carry on beating on them while keeping the curse active & have the party completely healed up for free :)

Try and practice using your various light-side finishers, they're all rather useful:
- water/pos/water as mentioned above for the -25% SP cost for 60secs is great for party members especially when buffing at the start
- air/pos/air gives a 1min blur effect (20% concealment) which is handy if no-one can cast the spell
- fire/pos/fire gives +2 to hit, saves & skills for 1min (essentially heroism spell, but will stack with it) which can be nice in some situations... use it when the rogue needs that extra edge when searching for & disarming traps
- earth/pos/earth gives immunity to stun effects.. great in a number of places, especially valuable for warforged when facing rust monsters

nibel
02-12-2013, 10:40 AM
There is one downside about finishers, however. If you drink a potion, switch weapons, or interact with any game element (doors, levers, bags, chests), your finisher count restarts.

So, let's say, you hit a mob with fire and light, but had to stop and drink a remove curse potion. You have to start building your finisher back from the start. If you had hit with light, light, light (and so the healing move shows up on the bar), but pull a lever before using the finisher, it also resets.

This characteristic is extremelly annoying while you are soloing, not that much while on a full party.

sebastianosmith
02-12-2013, 10:50 AM
Hey stefferweffer,

Have a look at The Book of Syncletica (https://sites.google.com/site/bookofsyn/). The section on finishing moves (https://sites.google.com/site/bookofsyn/fundamentals/discipleship/finishing-moves) has a pretty good explanation of what's involved, how they works and when to use them.

Best of luck!

FuzzyDuck81
02-12-2013, 10:54 AM
Hey stefferweffer,

Have a look at The Book of Syncletica (https://sites.google.com/site/bookofsyn/). The section on finishing moves (https://sites.google.com/site/bookofsyn/fundamentals/discipleship/finishing-moves) has a pretty good explanation of what's involved, how they works and when to use them.

Best of luck!

Forgot about that one - even if you know plenty about monks already its worth a read, it's well-written & very funny