PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Fighter Build if you will...

Magic_Emperor
02-08-2013, 12:43 AM
My Dwarf Shield Fighter (Dwarven Axe) is about to hit level 9.
28 pt build
It was my first character and I made him with my account when it was free and wasn't allowed to post here for advice until I spent some moola.

I fear I messed him up a bit.

I followed some wiki advice and gave him 14 int so he could get 4 skill pts per level, then I cleverly put lots of points into swim and jump because I thought that would important.
:P
He's never gonna be able to use a wand/scroll... lol

It sucked not being able to come here and ask the pros for tips before starting out....

At least I think I've gotten the feats and enhancements pretty good since I was able to get stalwart defender at level 6 like you should.
But I did take dodge (not sure if that was a good idea).
I've been getting all the toughness I can.
I also took the Resilience stance feat which gives +4 to all saving throws stacking with any restance you have (I got a +2 item). I like it and it keeps me out of trouble . lol

What should a good build look like for him?
I ask now before I level so it's cheaper to fit it if i must.
And when do you get your dragon mark (I did the mark quest)?
Is it a free feat? Or do you have to give something up?

DarkForte
02-08-2013, 12:54 AM
A few pointers:

- Anything more than 11 int is overkill for a fighter. You might need to hit 13 at some point to qualify for Combat Expertise if you're going for improved trip (and you can get a tome to qualify for that).
- More than one toughness is a bad idea. There's a lot of better feats. For some examples, the Two-handed fighting chain (which actually works with dwarven axes when using a shield), the cleave chain (2 feats), the shield mastery chain (2 feats), power attack and improved sunder, all of which you really want to have. Other feats to consider are feats that give you higher intimidate, depending on the content you plan to run. A properly built tank will, most of the time, not have enough feats for more toughnesses.
- Dragonmarks aren't free. The full line costs 3 feats. It's not really worth bothering on a tank unless you're human.

Magic_Emperor
02-08-2013, 01:18 AM
Wait... I only took 1 toughness feat- but I've been taking all the enhancement toughness.
I didn't mean to say I took the toughness feat more than once.
I have 182 HP at level 8, with a starting con of 16 (one +2 con item and a lesser false life item) thanks to all the points in int lol.

I've taken stun, a shield feat (greater bash i think?), dodge, mobility, and the resilience stance.

Oh and does dwarf armor mastery/agility stack with fighter armor mastery/agility enhancements?
Should I take both in other words?

FuzzyDuck81
02-08-2013, 02:12 AM
Wait... I only took 1 toughness feat- but I've been taking all the enhancement toughness.
I didn't mean to say I took the toughness feat more than once.
I have 182 HP at level 8, with a starting con of 16 (one +2 con item and a lesser false life item) thanks to all the points in int lol.

I've taken stun, a shield feat (greater bash i think?), dodge, mobility, and the resilience stance.

Oh and does dwarf armor mastery/agility stack with fighter armor mastery/agility enhancements?
Should I take both in other words?

Some people would say its not the optimal setup so far, but it's not actually bad so don't worry too much right now :)
I'd recommend the shield mastery feats later as it'll increase PRR (so you get a higher % of damage absorbed) plus grant bonus doublestrike (chance of getting an extra free hit) when you're using a shield.
I concur with the 2 handed line, as you'll get more damage output while using the dwarven axe (and if you need to go maximum dps you can use a greataxe... though in epics on a similar setup i've found that with the right destiny abilities theres actually not that much real difference).
Naturally when you're able to take it you'll want improved criticals (slashing) so you crit 2x as often.
Power attack, cleave & great cleave are all more or less essential, and for long-term those plus improved criticals will let you take overwhelming criticals in epic levels, which will grant an extra +1 to your critical damage multiplier, very powerful & effective.

regarding the mastery/agility - yes, racial enhancements stack with class-based ones (also includes the toughness lines for more hp), which mean of all the races a dwarf can get the highest maximum dex bonus (and therefore highest maximum passive dodge chance) with heavy armour, so if you have the space the spring attack feat could be worthwhile too, but get the other stuff first :) I wouldnt max out both lines, but having the 1st tier of each, or 2 tiers of fighter & 1 tier of dwarf for example, will cost less AP than just maxing out a single line.

Jingwei
02-08-2013, 02:36 AM
Feats for a pure stalwart fighter, I'd say:

Stunning Blow
Combat Expertise
Power Attack
Cleave
Great Cleave
Improved Sunder
Weapon Focus: Slashing Weapons
Weapon Specialization: Slashing Weapons
Greater Weapon Specialization: Slashing Weapons
Improved Critical: Slashing Weapons
Shield Mastery
Improved Shield Mastery
Toughness
Two Handed Fighting
Improved Two Handed Fighting
Greater Two Handed Fighting

2 heroic left
Improved trip?
moar toughness?
Skill focus: Intimidate?
Skill focus: UMD?

2 epic feats
overwhelming critical
Bulwark of Defense? (not seeing any great choices)

FuzzyDuck81
02-08-2013, 05:25 AM
For the 2 "leftover" heroic feats in the build listed above, improved shield bash actually can add a surprising extra bit of dps, especially if you have a shield with some nice damage-type effects - every bit more damage is more threat for a tank :) Add IC:bludgeon & long-term you can have some significant dps potential with a mornh (citw raid loot) & pulveriser from the dreadnaught destiny :)

In u17 you'll also have the option to pick the magical training feat (the one all caster classes get automatically) which gives 80sp & echoes of power - again, its long-term planning but that'd help open up some handy extra abilities with the various epic destiny twists.

thalliwell
02-08-2013, 05:56 AM
My Dwarf Shield Fighter (Dwarven Axe) is about to hit level 9.
28 pt build
It was my first character and I made him with my account when it was free and wasn't allowed to post here for advice until I spent some moola.

I fear I messed him up a bit.

I followed some wiki advice and gave him 14 int so he could get 4 skill pts per level, then I cleverly put lots of points into swim and jump because I thought that would important.
:P

This sounds exactly like my fighter. 14 intelligence, I wish I'd put a bit more in strength. Combat expertise and skill points are nice, but my guy does not hit very hard.

unbongwah
02-08-2013, 09:42 AM
I posted my take on a 28-pt newbie-friendly S&B dwarven SD here (http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=4877484&postcount=9). I forgot to list skills: definitely max Intim, of course, then pick 2 of 3 for the rest - Balance, Spot, UMD; UMD is the most useful in the long run, but it takes a lot of gear to get it high enough on a pure ftr w/base CHA 6.

There's room for tweaking feats on that build. E.g., I like the tactics feats, so I added Stunning Blow, Imp Sunder, and Imp Trip (which req's CE). But they could be dropped for extra DPS (e.g., GWS:Slash, Imp Shield Bash) or survivability (e.g., Spring Atk) or Intim bonuses (Bullheaded, SF:Intim). Alternatively, you could drop WF&WS:Slash for, say, Spring Atk & Whirlwind. Really, it's about finding the right balance between DPS, threat, and survivability.

Magic_Emperor
02-08-2013, 05:32 PM
Why is two handed fighting a good feat with one weapon and a shield?
Or does the shield count as the off hand weapon!!??

Spoonwelder
02-08-2013, 06:33 PM
Two Handed fighting works as well with Bastard Swords and Dwarven axes. Ie. you get glancing blows and related effect procs if using them either as a single weapon OR with a shield in off hand.

As a dwarf you would get the dwarven axe feat for free so it is a nice bonus to add to your damage profile on a tank type build.

If I was to suggest anything to you it would be to use the free lesser resurrection to reconfigure this character now - go find a good build and do the LR based upon that guildance (maybe get some +x tomes on him first if possible). I think you would find yourself having alot more fun with him in the end.

Another suggestion would be to carry a few Great Axes around - for the first 10-15 levels you don't need to do much if any tanking so its sometimes fun just to kill stuff faster. I have a fighter I am doing this with now - I really only bring out the S&B for non-arcane type bosses where being able to ignore/absorb alot of hits/damage is nice but clearing trash is so much easier whirling your Great Axe around (and depending upon the planner I would tweak it abit and take cleave/great cleave early - so much fun being able to clear a swarm of mobs in one or two cleaves).

unbongwah
02-08-2013, 07:55 PM
Why is two handed fighting a good feat with one weapon and a shield?
Glancing blows (http://ddowiki.com/page/Glancing_blow) apply to d.axes & b.swords as long as they're single-wielded; i.e., you do NOT have a weapon in your offhand.

You should also read about doublestrike (http://ddowiki.com/page/Doublestrike); in particular, notice that the Shield Mastery feats increase doublestrike, which helps make up for the lower DPS compared to 2H weapons.

Magic_Emperor
02-08-2013, 09:59 PM
So this is what I gather:

My feats:

I should have taken Combat Expertise stance rather than Resilience stance at level 8 (my last level).
I can switch them out with Fred.

And I should take Two Handed fighting and cleave the next two feat options.

Other than that I'm not too bad off feat wise.

Therigar
02-08-2013, 11:42 PM
I hope you started with 10 build points in STR and 10 build points in CON. On a dwarf that would be 16 STR and 18 CON. You could then have put 14 points into INT and still had 2 left over for DEX.

That isn't end-of-the-world bad. It just isn't really needed.

For skills I hope you are putting the greatest number of skill points possible into Balance. It is a cross-class skill but nothing sucks worse than being a turtle laying on its back.

Jump has value thru the whole game. Swim has value in specific, limited situations. Repair is a totally wasted skill. Intimidation is only useful if you plan to tank. It makes a good counter-point to hate tanking. If you are planning to tank you might as well be able to do both.

Other than that, you aren't going to get much mileage out of any of the other skills.

Feats others have covered.