PDA

View Full Version : Possible returning player with questions about expansions

Azmich
02-04-2013, 06:31 AM
Hi I was thinking of coming back to the game with a friend. But I'm a little confused as to the expansions that have come out and what's covered in a monthly subscription.

I know there was an expansion of sorts with the Druid and it seemed like that would be available to me if I paid a monthly subscription even though I've not specifically "bought" that item. Is this right?

And my friend said it sounded like there is another expansion coming out soon too, but I haven't been paying attention to DDO news.

If I come back, we will probably play for free to see if he will like it first, but we would switch to a monthly subscription likely just to be able to access all the content easily. Just curious if this will actually let us do anything we want or is there other things we'd still need to purchase.

Thank you for your help and patience, I'm sure this gets asked a lot.

Narfle_the_Garthok
02-04-2013, 06:44 AM
Vip covers the basic game, and gives you turbine points monthly to supplement favorgained rewards so you can get what is not covered by it.
The expansion is just that. An expansion, and is not covered by vip. However, it has been on discount quite a few times since.

Epic Gianthold, augment revamp and enhancement pass are all covered by vip.

wayreth602
02-04-2013, 06:45 AM
http://ddowiki.com/page/Account_comparisons will give a quick reference to what is covered by VIP and what is not.

Oh and drow is a fairly low unlock on the server you choose to play on, so if you stay f2p or premium, packs are likely a better choice.

Edit: MOTU is the only expansion that has to be bought so far for anyone, updates are pretty much free to VIP (Artis on an earlier update were one exception).

Azmich
02-04-2013, 07:13 AM
Thank you both for your quick responses. :) I will let my friend know and hope that he wants to give the game a try. I've been perusing the forums and I'd forgotten how in depth the classes were. Kind of looking forward to trying the game again.

Arianrhod
02-04-2013, 07:30 AM
Yes, MOTU is the only expansion, and the way they worked it has always struck me as a bit odd for an expansion - VIP status gives access to parts of what came with the expansion (druid, challenge pack & level cap increase to 25), but not others (Forgotten Realms quests & Epic Destinies). I'd almost have been happier if all of it had been considered part of the expansion rather than giving parts of it to VIPs without the rest, just because it would be less confusing that way ;)

Untitled
02-08-2013, 08:48 AM
'The Expansion' consists of 3 Chains of Adventures in Eveningstar (King Forest, Underdark and Demon Web), The Ability to Travel to Eveningstar. Depending on the version you purchase, you will also be given Druid Class, Eveningstar Challenge Pack, and Epic Destinies. (I have excluded mentioning other packs and TP it gives you).

The big thing to note here, is that Druid as a class, as well as the Challenge Pack are free to VIPs (as are any Challenges and non-unlock classes).

As per usual, your standard adventure chains/packs that have since become available in Eveningstar (U15,U16) are also free to VIPs, however you require the Expansion to be able to access 'Forgotten Realms'.

Hopefully that clears up some of the items that were not mentioned in this thread, if you have any further questions, let me know.