PDA

View Full Version : Hit the XP cap...now what

JPGR
02-01-2013, 07:50 AM
Hello all,
My 1st toon /1st life ranger hit the XP cap last night, and now I have to decide what to do with him.
- Opened ED immediately after getting to 20 (5 Shiradi. 2 Fury, 3 Dreadnought, 1 Shadowdancer so far)
- I havent taken level 25 yet

So....here are my questions:
1-What happens to any further xp gained? Is it banked for future level cap increase, or does it simply not accrue anymore, EXCEPT for ED level increase?...which leads to question 2...
2- Is it a mistake to take level 25 solely for expanding ED levels?

I am reluctant to TR because I have achieved decent crafting levels (high 90's in all 3) and dont want to lose them, esp if there is a reworking of the crafting system in the works. I dont want to lose my favor esp my 400 pt SF favor which gets me cheap Marks of the Silver Flame, not to mention 400 SF favor is a huge pain the butt to achieve. I started with a 32 pt build so getting 34 would only mean that CHA would be less of a dump stat(??). Also, I am really enjoying the content post level 20 (new prefix/ suffix gear, adventures, destinies etc), and the amazing way it has allowed me to play my character in new ways/ approaches. I want the ride to continue!!!

mansrea26
02-01-2013, 07:57 AM
Well, last I knew the crafting levels don't reset if you TR or at least they didn't when I did. So no worries there. The favor does reset if you TR. Which does add some new dynamics as it takes more XP to level up and you get to be a 34 point build, which is nice. You could keep your current toon as one end game toon and start another one and turn him into your TR'd pony. That's the way I like to go about it, that way I always have one end game toon and one to level. But either way, happy slaying!

BlkDrgn28
02-01-2013, 08:00 AM
Once you are XP capped you will no longer gain any XP towards levels at all, you will still receive Epic Destiny XP if you are in a non capped Destiny. Doesn't really matter either way on taking lvl 25 you will still gain ED XP, the best thing to do while working on those is to join the ED Farming groups as those are fast ways to gain levels.

OR go ahead and TR as you WON'T LOSE your crafting levels AT ALL.

As for your Silver Flame favor yeah that will reset but what you could do is purchase a bunch in advance to cover yourself until you can re-earn the favor.

madmaxhunter
02-01-2013, 08:17 AM
Once you are XP capped you will no longer gain any XP towards levels at all, you will still receive Epic Destiny XP if you are in a non capped Destiny. Doesn't really matter either way on taking lvl 25 you will still gain ED XP, the best thing to do while working on those is to join the ED Farming groups as those are fast ways to gain levels.

OR go ahead and TR as you WON'T LOSE your crafting levels AT ALL.

As for your Silver Flame favor yeah that will reset but what you could do is purchase a bunch in advance to cover yourself until you can re-earn the favor.

Yep, 140s in all schools after many TRs. If you decide to TR check out this thead: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=355152 before you take the plunge.

JOTMON
02-01-2013, 10:05 AM
You can allways create another toon.

Your first toon can be your favor toon and main crafter while you level up another one or more...

TR'ing is an option-
You do not lose Crafting levels, they persist through all TR lives
You do lose all your favor and have to start that over (stock up on any favor oriented items).
Levelling XP caps and is lost.
Epic xp is earned in each destiny, once you cap a destiny any further xp while in that destiny is lost.
Epic Destinies XP is held when you TR, you regain those destinies once you get back to the appropriate level XP.

Miow
02-01-2013, 10:07 AM
go run red fens to make a claw set...oh wait never mind :P

gphysalis
02-01-2013, 10:11 AM
I would highly not recommend TRing until you cap another character (or at least get another character to lvl 20)
I disregarded some advide regarding things like this, and am progressing very slowly with my TRed character, and it feels like an eternity after lvl 10

However, your crafting lvls do not reset, so no problems there.

Gaining further xp only benefits your epic destiny xp, nothing is saved for possible future level cap increases.

fco-karatekid
02-01-2013, 01:08 PM
Yep, 140s in all schools after many TRs. If you decide to TR check out this thead: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=355152 before you take the plunge.

probably the best advice in the thread (although all the posts are good). I did NOT read through the referenced post in depth at all on my first TR, and regretted it from about levels 6-20.

Insofar as a second life leveling being extremely slow (another post in this thread): I didn't find second life bad at all - until say 17-20, which is already miserably slow regardless of life.

I don't _plan_ on ever being a completionist, but I'm not purposefully avoiding it, either.

I would recommend (in no particular order):

build up ED's as long as you can stand it - if nothing else, get the connections built between them so your next life character - regardless of what it is - can freely choose among them to help them from 20-25 (it's actually more like 20-23, as 24 and 25 characters are pretty resilient anyway).

Farm up some tokens and get your druidic heart (or 5).

Find quests you've never run before (or are just plain unfamiliar with) and run them on elite - so you know them better in future lives and (in the former case) can add their XP to offset the higher thresholds in 2nd and 3rd+ lives.

fco-karatekid
02-01-2013, 01:23 PM
I am still fuzzy on the whole "take 25 or don't" thing - since I am soloing this character primarily, once I got everything below 18 (which'd be 20 on Elite) that I wanted any XP from done, I took 25.

There was a big to-do about level 25's creating a powerleveling penalty on lvl 20's back when MoTU came out, but I am unsure whether that got resolved - I wanna say it did.

fool101
02-01-2013, 01:49 PM
Just for clarification since I didn't see it explicitly;

If you purchase SF pots now, you can use them in the next life even if you don't regain the SF favor. So be sure to stock up on many pots if you TR.