PDA

View Full Version : Just got back after a couple years away

kungfuhustler
01-29-2013, 06:27 AM
Well I just came back to the game after a long time away and picked up the expansion packwhich seems to have some pretty good reviews but I had a question. (And half orc, finally!!!)

Is the expansion level 1 on forward or is it for higher level PC's only? I have a level 9 and 13 so... It would be really **** news if I just dropped 50 bucks on a product that my PC's can't access!!!

I still haven't started playing yet as I can barely figure out my way thrrough all the awesome gear in my inventory haha

Also: I bought my copy with turbine points... Did I miss out on anything that I would have gotten by getting it with cash?

cdbd3rd
01-29-2013, 06:34 AM
Some challenges can be entered at level 15/16ish, something like that, but mostly the pack is for near-20s and the epic 20-25s.

Can't enter the explorer zones til 20.

http://ddowiki.com/page/Menace_of_the_Underdark

kungfuhustler
01-29-2013, 06:48 AM
Do you think I'll be able to find enough quests to get to that level without needing to unlock more content?
I also unlocked the Artificer class, that I enjoyed playing on the tabletop, and will be starting it at level 4 or 7.
(I purchased the full pack for 4995tp)

And thank you fort hte quick reply, much appreciated forum guru guy!

auntjobiska
01-29-2013, 06:59 AM
From time to time they have XP stones that let you get from 8 to 16 in one go. Only draw back is that you are then in lvl 16+ content and under geared and possibly inexperienced - though that may not be an issue in your case.

Some people may have some of the XP stones left to sell or trade.

The quests to get you to Eveningstar are the Lords of Dust chain (level 16 quests) which I think is Free to Play.

AJ

kungfuhustler
01-29-2013, 07:20 AM
cool... I think. I just worry because I remembered not having a lot of quest options when I stopped playing a few years back and not being able to play the new content I just spent 50 bucks on would be a real killjoy! I hope there are more f2p quests than there used to be as I don't really want to subscribe again... I just want to do a few quests and play the chunk of new content I just unlocked ;D

susiedupfer
01-29-2013, 07:52 AM
Well, I have good news and bad. And without knowing what you own besides the MotU pack, it is hard to know what to tell you.

The good news is that there is indeed more F2P content to help you get to level 20 to start enjoying the new stuff. The bad news is that you will have to run it over and over again to get the xp necessary to level. Matter of fact, I am not sure you actually can run it enough to get to level 20.

The other bad news is that so much gear and stuff has changed, I am not sure you will be doing yourself any favors trying to just get to 20 without some interim gear that you need from content you may not own.

Packs I would strongly suggest you get, if you do not own them already:
Vale of Twilight-Shroud gear is a pain to get, but a necessary evil. It is what you use to get to that new content.
Devils of Shavarath-no longer necessarily end game gear, but an interim step to enable you to play endgame content to get endgame gear.

I am sure I am missing some, but those packs are where you can start to get where you want to go.

psteen1
01-29-2013, 07:55 AM
cool... I think. I just worry because I remembered not having a lot of quest options when I stopped playing a few years back and not being able to play the new content I just spent 50 bucks on would be a real killjoy! I hope there are more f2p quests than there used to be as I don't really want to subscribe again... I just want to do a few quests and play the chunk of new content I just unlocked ;D

If you are planning on starting over with a new toon, you better get comfortable because you do need to make it to 20 before you can play the vast majority of the content you just purchased. Some people here will tell you that leveling to 20 is really fast on a first life toon, but they are also the ones who have been playing for a long long time and know exactly what they are doing. I remember back to the first time I made the trek to level 20, and it took a good month, maybe more maybe less depending on how much you play.

patang01
01-29-2013, 08:06 AM

You'll find a nice spread of F2P quests and I suggest you pick up a couple of packs that'll get you to 16, then do the F2P harbor quests and get your ticket to FR.

Ivan_Milic
01-29-2013, 08:16 AM
If you dont have any other packs besides motu I suggest you buy vale and gianthold(epic next update),also if you like loot von and sands,also have great xp,if you planning on tring get reavers reach and necro(can skip necro 3).

kungfuhustler
01-29-2013, 06:25 PM
well I had enough coin to scoop up giants hold (lvl 12-14) and I guess we shall see what happens. I didn't have option in the DDO store to pick up a few opf the other questions mentioned in the thread so I must already have them or at least I hope I do. Thanks guys! I'll be running around Thelanis trying to remember where everything is this evening so wish me luck!

FranOhmsford
01-29-2013, 08:04 PM
well I had enough coin to scoop up giants hold (lvl 12-14) and I guess we shall see what happens. I didn't have option in the DDO store to pick up a few opf the other questions mentioned in the thread so I must already have them or at least I hope I do. Thanks guys! I'll be running around Thelanis trying to remember where everything is this evening so wish me luck!

Easiest way to find out what packs you have:

Go to the DDOStore and type Guest - It will then show you all the guestpasses you can buy {which of course only someone who owns said pack can do}.

fco-karatekid
01-30-2013, 01:16 AM
You'll find a nice spread of F2P quests and I suggest you pick up a couple of packs that'll get you to 16, then do the F2P harbor quests and get your ticket to FR.

You really need to get only to like 14...

The F2P chain that is a prerequisite to FR content can be run lower than 16 - 13 or 14 can get the quests (I forget which).

Lords of Dust on a first life decently-built character can be soloed on normal and hard. There are tripping dogs that are a severe threat at first, then some Wailing (as in Banshee) critters in the middle. End fight is easily won if you can 1) manage the first boss' Divine Punishment and 2) keep poison potions going about every 30-40 seconds with the end boss. He doesn't hit that hard, but he poisons repeatedly with some NASTY stuff.

The second in the chain (Servants of the Overlord) is a 50/50 **** shoot solo on norm - a definite completion on norm in even a half-decent under-level group (leave elite for at level or one above).

The Spinner of Shadows really needs to be grouped if you are below level (hard and elite in a group is quite painful if not prepared).

The final one (Into the Rift) can be soloed under level by a first life on Normal pretty easily - you actually spend more time walking than fighting in that one. Spider ambushes and traps (wards) are pretty much the only real threat in that one. There's one demon boss half-way-ish through, but he's not that tough - the 3,786 spiders that come out with him are distracting, though.