PDA

View Full Version : Re Roll a current toon? Half Elf Tempest Ranger

shibe
01-22-2013, 10:59 AM
Hello All,

This may have been covered before but I am having trouble finding it.

I have a toon that I rolled over a year ago and got him to lvl 11. He is a Half Elf Ranger that I was moving towards a Tempest. I was using the Tempest from this forum link
http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=2800940&postcount=16

The main link I pulled the above from is here:
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=232660&highlight=paths+revisited

When I started the build I really didn't know what I was doing. I picked half elf because I thought it was cool and didn't think it through. My questions are these:

1.) The above links were written in 2010 so they may be out of date. Does anyone have an up to date tempest ranger build they can share?

2.) Is the build from the links above sustainable for a good tempest ranger with a Half Elf?

3.) If using a Half Elf isn't good for that build and there are indeed better builds is it possible to keep my toons current lvl of experience and re roll them so they have a new race and I can change the feats, skills and enhancements?

Thanks in advance for your help. I love my Ranger but I want him to kick some ass moving forward so I want to do it right. Maybe even make him a girl :)

Kinerd
01-22-2013, 04:39 PM
The build is pretty solid. One thing I would for sure change is Lightning Reflexes instead of OTWF: the new to-hit system we got between then and now has made flat to-hit bonuses very poor choices, but we're still on the d20 system for saves. You could also consider Two Weapon Blocking for PRR (another new addition, basically a % DR, and speaking of that find yourself some light armor over robes). Then I would take Maximize and Improved Sunder for the epic feats.

Half-elf works fine. You get Human Versatility and Improved Recovery, which are both very powerful. For dilettante I would go Rogue for DPS or Monk for Recovery. Cleric doesn't really make sense when you have UMD and can cast CSW.

I still like the 18/1/1 split, some people prefer a 12-13/6-7/1-2.

shibe
01-23-2013, 02:15 PM
The build is pretty solid. One thing I would for sure change is Lightning Reflexes instead of OTWF: the new to-hit system we got between then and now has made flat to-hit bonuses very poor choices, but we're still on the d20 system for saves. You could also consider Two Weapon Blocking for PRR (another new addition, basically a % DR, and speaking of that find yourself some light armor over robes). Then I would take Maximize and Improved Sunder for the epic feats.

Half-elf works fine. You get Human Versatility and Improved Recovery, which are both very powerful. For dilettante I would go Rogue for DPS or Monk for Recovery. Cleric doesn't really make sense when you have UMD and can cast CSW.

I am not sure what I did with the build specifically but when I get home I will review the specs again. I did make some of my own choices as well as choosing some in the suggested build from the link. I do recall taking the Barbarian dilettante. I have not gotten far enough to have chosen Over-sized Two-Weapon Fighting.

I looked in the acronym list and couldn't find anything for PRR, what is that? :)

If necessary is it possible to change all of the skills, enhancements, the dilettante and feats while keeping XP (level) and my equipment intact?

Thanks for getting to my questions. I am happy I do not have to start completely over (Unless Barbarian screws me up somehow)

fco-karatekid
01-23-2013, 03:38 PM

Only part I really disagree with is TWB - if it's the same as the last time I tried it, it can interrupt your attack speed. Then again, ANY blocking has a weird interrupt associated therewith. I didn't see it worth giving up other more useful survivability enhancements, so I skipped TWB.

Thayion516
01-23-2013, 05:35 PM
I am not sure what I did with the build specifically but when I get home I will review the specs again. I did make some of my own choices as well as choosing some in the suggested build from the link. I do recall taking the Barbarian dilettante. I have not gotten far enough to have chosen Over-sized Two-Weapon Fighting.

I looked in the acronym list and couldn't find anything for PRR, what is that? :)

If necessary is it possible to change all of the skills, enhancements, the dilettante and feats while keeping XP (level) and my equipment intact?

Thanks for getting to my questions. I am happy I do not have to start completely over (Unless Barbarian screws me up somehow)

Yes, you can rework your toon and keep it lv 11. You can NOT change Race tho. Get a Greater Heart of Wood, and talk to Shaman Kruz in House J.

Exploiter Tempest (name of this build) is still a solid build. Here are my suggestions.

Human 18ranger/1Monk/1Rogue - Strength based Tempest

Humans get a extra Open Feat at lv 1 and +1 Skill point per level to help invest in trapping/umd skills.

Stats:
#1) STR and CON maybe 16+ in each
#2) INT and DEX a 12+
#3) Wisdom 10

Lv 1 Rouge = Full UMD, Trap Skills, 1d6 SA, Cross class access to all skills. Dodge. Mobility.

lv 2-13 Ranger = Toughness, Spring attack, Temp1, Fav Enem, , Kopesh, Imp Crit: Slash, Temp2

lv14 1 Monk or Fighter = Wear Robes = Wis AC Bonus, Fighter = More Hps and STR, Bonus Feat= PA or CE (need 14 Int for CE = +2 Int Tome used) (PA suggested)

lv 15-20 Ranger = Lightening Reflexes , Maximize, Temp3

Enhancements = All Healing Amp Enhancements. Racial Toughness. Rouge Haste Boost. Fav Enem Damage. Human Vers. Other DPS Enhancements.

Skills = Full UMD, Full Search, Full Disable Device. Open Lock = 20. Jump/swim/balance = 10-15. Tumble = 1.

This Build is Gear and Tome intensive. I would not sugest this at a First Life toon (barb or monk past life suggested) U need some Greensteel and Icy Remnants+AC8 Wrists. Need UMD items. Trap Skill items. Dodge/AC items for Tanking. STR items for DPS.

Nice DPS with Kopesh and Manyshot Burst DPS when ur charging in or Spike damage and pull out.

Devotion Item + Maximize + Healing amps = 200+ Cure Crit self healing.

35+ UMD = most all usable Buff Scrolls and Heal Scroll.

50+ Trap Skills = trap any dungeon in game.

Tank mode = 80+ AC at lv 20.

This Class can do 80-90% of everything. Is it Total Min/Max on any one area? No. This Build is about Versatility and Survivability.

What many are doring now after the u14 combat changes is swapping the monk level for Fighter to gain Heavy Armor if needed for the boost in AC and PPR (a form of Damage Resistance). Also gives more HPs, +1 to trip, and +2 to confirm crits, and an Extra Feat.

Use the DDO Character Planner here to help you with builds: http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO/

Mercureal
01-24-2013, 07:45 AM

From DDOWiki: Physical Resistance Rating (PRR) is a new form of damage mitigation that was added with Update 14. It provides a % resistance against physical damage (bludgeoning, slashing, and piercing), and is granted through multiple sources (items, feats, enhancements) and stacks with itself.

http://ddowiki.com/page/Physical_Resistance_Rating

For your question on changing up your character, you have several options:

1. Enhancements can be reset simply by talking to your class trainer. There is a platinum cost, and you can only reset them once very three days.

2. Feats can be switched using an NPC in House J called Fred (http://ddowiki.com/page/Fred). If you run a quest called Hall of the Mark, in the Marketplace, you will be allowed to do one feat swap for free. The costs for more swaps are detailed on that page for Fred.

3. Dilettante is a combination of feat and enhancements, so it can switched around using the above methods, provided you meet the pre-requisites of the new Dil feat you want to take.

4. You can rebuild your character almost completely by doing a Lesser or Greater Reincarnation (http://ddowiki.com/page/Reincarnation). You can't change alignment, gender or race, and there is a limit on the number of class levels you can change, but you can reset everything else, from appearance to starting ability scores to feats. You probably have a free Lesser Reincarnation, unless you have used it already (which doesn't seem to be the case). Just talk to the NPC Kruz in House J. You can also buy Hearts of Wood from the DDO Store that allow you to change a few class levels when you reincarnate, but you shouldn't need to buy those at the moment.

unbongwah
01-24-2013, 11:33 AM
3.) If using a Half Elf isn't good for that build and there are indeed better builds is it possible to keep my toons current lvl of experience and re roll them so they have a new race and I can change the feats, skills and enhancements?
The bad news: the only way to change a character's race is thru True Reincarnation (http://ddowiki.com/page/Reincarnation#True_Reincarnation), which requires leveling to 20 and starting over from lvl 1. :( Fortunately, HE is still a solid pick for Tempests (or any other build), so there's no need to do that. :)

You can check out my Tempest trapmonkey thread in my sig, which are based on tihocan's build. At some point, I really need to get around to updating that thread for post-U14 epic levels, though... :o EDIT: I do agree OTWF is no longer worth taking for meeting the Tempest III pre-req; I would go with TWD for +5 PPR .

shibe
01-25-2013, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the info. I will just get a greater heart of wood and re-spec my toon. I made a few weird choices when I built him. I guess there is no greater heart of sex change, I wanna make my toon a girl but I think you can only go so far :)

shibe
01-25-2013, 10:10 AM
I do agree OTWF is no longer worth taking for meeting the Tempest III pre-req; I would go with TWD for +5 PPR .

So I do not need to get OTWF to get Tempest III? Have any suggestions on which Dilllante to choose? The Rogue looks interesting but since i have rogue in my build would that make a difference? What exactly does the monk recovery do for me?

Stoner81
01-25-2013, 10:39 AM
Monk Recovery gives you more Healing Amplification which stacks with the one native to humans. This means that wands, potions and spells that heal you will heal for more than what they say they will because the effect is amplified hence the term Heal Amp :)

Stoner81.

TrinityTurtle
01-25-2013, 10:43 AM
Build advice aside, which I see you got plenty of, at level 11 you've only 9 levels left to hit 20. At this point, and this is just my opinion please understand, it would probably be better to toughen out those 9 levels even if you don't particularly enjoy the toon, and then do some epics (normal is really easy even with a suboptimal build, and with the timers gone from epic non-raid quests getting enough tokens to buy a tr heart is really easy now) and tr it into whatever you want to try next. You'll get a slightly stronger toon, and won't have wasted the time and effort you spent on the first 11 levels. :)

unbongwah
01-25-2013, 10:48 AM
I guess there is no greater heart of sex change, I wanna make my toon a girl but I think you can only go so far :)
LR / GR lets you change stats, feats, skills, and spells (on bards, FvS, and sorcs); if you use +1/+3/+5 version, you can also change 1, 3, or 5 of your class picks too. Name & alignment changes are sold in the DDO Store; last time I checked, they aren't selling Scrolls of Gender or Race Swapping, though. ;)

So I do not need to get OTWF to get Tempest III? Have any suggestions on which Dilllante to choose? The Rogue looks interesting but since i have rogue in my build would that make a difference? What exactly does the monk recovery do for me?

You still need to take a feat to meet Tempest III pre-req; however due to the AC changes in U14, an extra +2 to-hit is virtually meaningless. I prefer TWD for +5 PRR (http://ddowiki.com/page/Physical_Resistance_Rating) (which stacks w/PRR from Tempest III & light armor for ~30 PRR in epic lvls); Kinerd recommends Lightning Reflexes for +2 Reflex. Either way you get a nice little bonus to your survivability, which is better than an almost imperceptible bonus to your to-hit, IMHO.
Barb is one option for the extra CON & HPs; although if you've got a ftr splash you can't take both ftr Toughness & HE barb Toughness enhs. Rogue dilly doesn't stack with sneak atk from rog lvls, but it will stack w/rogue SA Training; so you could get 3d6+3 SA that way. Monk would let you add +20% heal amp, which would stack with +20% HE racial heal amp; which means Cures & Heals are, well, amplified and heal you for more than if you didn't have either. Some people like arty dilly on a UMD toon for the boost to UMD & caster lvl w/scrolls. Pally would let you boost saves by +5, though you have to divert pts into CHA. I don't see any point in taking the other caster dillies on a UMD toon.

shibe
01-25-2013, 10:54 AM
Thank you all!

shibe
01-25-2013, 02:18 PM
You can check out my Tempest trapmonkey thread in my sig, which are based on tihocan's build. At some point, I really need to get around to updating that thread for post-U14 epic levels, though... :o EDIT: I do agree OTWF is no longer worth taking for meeting the Tempest III pre-req; I would go with TWD for +5 PPR .

I saw in your build you have True Neutral. Why did you pick that alignment? I have some holy burst kopeshes I use. Any armor or weapon benefits here?

Thanks!

unbongwah
01-25-2013, 03:19 PM
True Neutral has three main benefits: you can use Stability (http://ddowiki.com/page/Stability) items; makes you immune to Unholy/Anarchic/Axiomatic dmg (not sure how big a deal the last two are, but Unholy dmg is pretty common at higher lvls); and lets you use Anarchic/Axiomatic/evil-tainted gear without taking a negative level (whereas, say, a paladin would take neg lvl from using anarchic or evil-tainted gear `cuz he's Lawful Good).

shibe
01-26-2013, 12:39 PM
From DDOWiki: Physical Resistance Rating (PRR) is a new form of damage mitigation that was added with Update 14. It provides a % resistance against physical damage (bludgeoning, slashing, and piercing), and is granted through multiple sources (items, feats, enhancements) and stacks with itself.

http://ddowiki.com/page/Physical_Resistance_Rating

For your question on changing up your character, you have several options:

1. Enhancements can be reset simply by talking to your class trainer. There is a platinum cost, and you can only reset them once very three days.

2. Feats can be switched using an NPC in House J called Fred (http://ddowiki.com/page/Fred). If you run a quest called Hall of the Mark, in the Marketplace, you will be allowed to do one feat swap for free. The costs for more swaps are detailed on that page for Fred.

3. Dilettante is a combination of feat and enhancements, so it can switched around using the above methods, provided you meet the pre-requisites of the new Dil feat you want to take.

4. You can rebuild your character almost completely by doing a Lesser or Greater Reincarnation (http://ddowiki.com/page/Reincarnation). You can't change alignment, gender or race, and there is a limit on the number of class levels you can change, but you can reset everything else, from appearance to starting ability scores to feats. You probably have a free Lesser Reincarnation, unless you have used it already (which doesn't seem to be the case). Just talk to the NPC Kruz in House J. You can also buy Hearts of Wood from the DDO Store that allow you to change a few class levels when you reincarnate, but you shouldn't need to buy those at the moment.

I forgot to thank you for that. Thanks :)