PDA

View Full Version : Everyone can contribute!

Bacab
01-22-2013, 03:13 AM
I posted this in another thread...and then realized it should be in the New Player Forums also...

In quests where I know my build is weak...I always lead in Breakables.

Example>>>I am on a Fire Savant in a quest with lotsa Black Bones and Fire Eles...In those quests, I am a buff bot and a haste bot. And of course I volunteer to gather stuff and break stuff for ransack.

Stormcleave comes to mind.
At the Fire Elemental parts...I drop a Haste and then run grab barrels
At the part where you fight the Giant (I think hes a Fire Giant also) who is surrounded by Black Bones...I drop a haste and go do other parts.

Other examples of always helping the group...
Lets say I am doing a PUG EVoN5/6 on my Cleric who has evasion.
*Part 5...
If there are multiple divines, I volunteer to stay with a melee or 2 in that part with the respawning Warforged for Conquest
*Part 6...
If the arcane is unsure about base 1...I volunteer to go to base 1 with 1 or 2 evasion melees and trio it

Anyway, never is one build always the BEST for every quest, but you can always help...whether its just by breaking breakables or always being the guy to pull a switch to open the door for others.

Whesper
01-22-2013, 08:17 AM
That's a nice option. However, having a more versatile build could be of even more help. Like having some acid spells and acid spell power on the said Fire savant.

Chai
01-22-2013, 08:42 AM
And by just having a maxed out stat usually means a decent enough DC for heroic content, where you can toss a web in order to keep those skellies you cant burn in place.

Nowdays even a caster can carry a weapon and use it at lower level as well. I will bulls strength up and use a carnifex at lower level and a maul on skellies. Saves alot of mana if your entire offense at lower level isnt all spell damage.

TrinityTurtle
01-22-2013, 08:42 AM
Whesper is right. Some nice player pointed out to me that not having a second element on my ice savant was a glaring weakness for me for just the reasons you described, and now I have a second element on all my savants and don't run into problems like this. Which is huge for me as a player because when no one wants to do a particular quest I can just go do it myself and not have to worry about not being able to harm the enemies in any way.

Versatility isn't really about the respect of the group for a toon that can't help much beyond breakables, it's about you being able to defend yourself anywhere anytime.

FranOhmsford
01-22-2013, 09:42 AM
And by just having a maxed out stat usually means a decent enough DC for heroic content, where you can toss a web in order to keep those skellies you cant burn in place.

Nowdays even a caster can carry a weapon and use it at lower level as well. I will bulls strength up and use a carnifex at lower level and a maul on skellies. Saves alot of mana if your entire offense at lower level isnt all spell damage.

For a Sorc we now have Moonhowl's Axe {Cha to hit and dmg - Free Proficiency} - No need for Master's Touch!

Talon_Moonshadow
01-22-2013, 02:26 PM
Yes.
But...

If a new guy is new to a quest, I would rather he just follow along, and attack what other people are attacking. (and stop attack it when other people stop atacking. :rolleyes: )

However, I think every toon should be more than a one-trick-pony.
And, yes. Anyone can contribute somehow, someway.

In one memorial encounter, I was totally outmatched, so I stayed hidden, retrieved stones and rezed people. (this was a special situation where I was way under level and power to meaningfully contribute to the fight)

Anyway, with experience, you should find ways to help the party out... even in groups where most people are way more powerful than you are.

Ryiah
01-22-2013, 04:25 PM
In quests where I know my build is weak...I always lead in Breakables.

Is your character level 3 and named Frenzy by any chance? :p

smeggy1384
01-22-2013, 06:47 PM
Is your character level 3 and named Frenzy by any chance? :p

People should quit picking on poor Frenzy. Once you get to know him he will share the tragic events of the day he tried to solo An Explosive Situation, which is where he first developed his hatred of barrels...