PDA

View Full Version : Wands damage per caster lvl

Eldmorg
01-21-2013, 09:47 PM
if i cast wand as rogue lvl5 that have damage per caster lvl (burning hands for exemple), does this mean im casting dmg for lvl5 (rogue) or lvl1 (im not caster)? ty

Syllph
01-21-2013, 10:26 PM
A wand is an item containing a number of charges of one spell. Characters can wield and use a wand to activate its spell without expending Spell Points or material components and even if they cannot cast that spell themselves.

Wands do not benefit from Metamagic feats or from the character's item properties, ability modifiers, and Enhancements that affect spells. On the other hand, they are not subject to Arcane Spell Failure, so they can be used freely while wearing any armor. There are also Enhancements that improve wand effects.

Each wand has a predefined caster level that is used to determine its spell's strength regardless of the character using it. Some wands occur in multiple versions with different caster levels. The stronger ones are, predictably, harder to use.
http://ddowiki.com/page/Wands

In other words you cast that Burning hands at the level the wand says it is rather than the level of your player. There should be a level on the wand (level 1-5 most likely)

Singular
01-21-2013, 11:31 PM
As far as I know, the wand itself has a caster level written on it. I believe only Artificers can, at level 20, use spells from wands as per their own level.

FuzzyDuck81
01-22-2013, 02:04 AM
As far as I know, the wand itself has a caster level written on it. I believe only Artificers can, at level 20, use spells from wands as per their own level.

The caster level increases gradually as arties level too - kinda funny actually as if the wand is one the arty has on their spell list (eg. resist energy) then using a wand will sometimes have a higher caster level than if the arty cast if from memory :)

The caster level boost caps out at +5 for scrolls but yeah any wands or clickies will be CL20 with the arty capstone so the cheapest versions are just as effective & will also have the corresponding lower UMD scores to make them even easier to use.. there's very few UMD-able things that an arty can't use, which is a great part of why i have very little pack space on him.. the batman utility belt is overflowing :)

Singular
01-22-2013, 05:24 AM
The caster level increases gradually as arties level too - kinda funny actually as if the wand is one the arty has on their spell list (eg. resist energy) then using a wand will sometimes have a higher caster level than if the arty cast if from memory :)

The caster level boost caps out at +5 for scrolls but yeah any wands or clickies will be CL20 with the arty capstone so the cheapest versions are just as effective & will also have the corresponding lower UMD scores to make them even easier to use.. there's very few UMD-able things that an arty can't use, which is a great part of why i have very little pack space on him.. the batman utility belt is overflowing :)

Very nice! I don't make full use of my artie's potential, since I mainly use clickies, but what scrolls do you buy? I mean, other than heal, raise dead, and teleport. Those ones are obvious!

I guess web could be useful. Or Disco ball! But the DCs would suck, wouldn't they?

FuzzyDuck81
01-22-2013, 06:06 AM
I always make sure to carry a few restoration/greater restoration ones (more for party members since WF dont get drained), displacement, fireshield, greater heroism & break enchantment. If you have something that gives slippery surface immunity, sleet storm is a handy one too (throw up turret, blade barrier then that & make a handy lil killzone).

Oh, and magic circle against evil is a handy wand to have for things that like to use command.

The DCs on offensive spell ones suck since ability score doesn't apply, but with the caster level increase you DO have a better chance of getting through some spell resistance, so PK wands can be usable for instance.

AzB
01-22-2013, 08:31 AM
I always make sure to carry a few restoration/greater restoration ones (more for party members since WF dont get drained), displacement, fireshield, greater heroism & break enchantment. If you have something that gives slippery surface immunity, sleet storm is a handy one too (throw up turret, blade barrier then that & make a handy lil killzone).

Oh, and magic circle against evil is a handy wand to have for things that like to use command.

The DCs on offensive spell ones suck since ability score doesn't apply, but with the caster level increase you DO have a better chance of getting through some spell resistance, so PK wands can be usable for instance.

You can also increase wand dcs with wizard pls and the wand and scroll enhancement line. Damage and healing can be increased 30% from the second wand and scroll enhancement line.

ReaperAlexEU
01-22-2013, 09:05 AM
You can also increase wand dcs with wizard pls and the wand and scroll enhancement line. Damage and healing can be increased 30% from the second wand and scroll enhancement line.

and seeing as the OP is talking about rogues i think it's worth pointing out that rogues too can boost heal scrolls with enhancements.

handy things at low levels are shield wands for protection against magic missile.

Singular
01-22-2013, 10:21 AM

Thanks FuzzyDuck, great suggestions! Now my inventory is going to be full :p

FuzzyDuck81
01-22-2013, 12:03 PM
Thanks FuzzyDuck, great suggestions! Now my inventory is going to be full :p

No probs :)

Haven't gotten round to checking the various festivult cookies, cakes etc. with my arty yet, but that could be rather interesting if those are boosted too.

Oh, and if you don't know already, the ring of spellstoring from the desert gets boosted by arty stuff too.. with the capstone, it gives back a fixed 105 SP per charge which is rather tasty.