PDA

View Full Version : Epic Gianthold - Adventure Area

SqueakofDoom
01-17-2013, 12:35 PM
This thread is for discussing the Epic Gianthold Adventure Area: Ruins of Gianthold

Glenalth
01-17-2013, 01:14 PM
It seems like the giants out there are taking around 10 seconds to respond when they are first activated. Either by walking by them or attacking them.

patang01
01-17-2013, 01:23 PM
This thread is for discussing the Epic Gianthold Adventure Area: Ruins of Gianthold

Seems to be few random encounters and some (like Dhruul) lacks reward of any kind. There are also no kitties by their portal. Just nothing. One kitty from outside came and attacked me but there were no kitties there.

I noticed that there's a lag in response from some giants where they'll wait for a bit before doing something. Also; some giants (hill) seems to have heroic stats. The haze to obscure visibility is annoying tho - I get why but the whole running in soup when you'd love to admire the landscape is annoying.

Crazyfruit
01-17-2013, 01:47 PM
I really liked the "A Smaller Problem" quest. Dialogue was great, quest mechanic was different and fun, and pretty rewarding too. :)

Carpone
01-17-2013, 01:50 PM
Seems to be few random encounters and some (like Dhruul) lacks reward of any kind.
I noticed this too. Killed him twice, no chest.

Grosbeak07
01-17-2013, 02:02 PM
I've encountered some of the stuff already mentioned, lack of rewards for some named mobs, slow AI etc.

I always enjoyed the Gianthold open area and to see this get a number of changes, while not overly changing the landscape was nice.

Dragons: Took me quite awhile to find a Dragon (unlucky?) perhaps the spawn rates of these encounters should be raised up a bit. I'd be happy with 1 Dragon per map (although some in chat have states they have had several on a map, so maybe it balances out). Dragon fights are better, but they could stand to be beefed up a bit. Fought a Red Dragon and simply ran circles around it. Looks cool, but really didn't do much to me. The best way to beef up the dragons is to give them AOE abilities. My Druid dog could hold aggro with a hireling healer while I did damage unmolested.

Giants: Gosh there are a lot of them. They seem about right for an open area, but I've seen 2 issues with them, 1) Their knockdown can be worse than how wargs used to trip, this needs to be adjusted somewhat and 2) The range stun by boulder toss also should be adjusted a bit. I have actually died a couple of times simply because I was stunned, stunned, stunned and couldn't do anything. I like the idea of them being able to stun fun, but for them to constantly do it, was not.

Other Races: Slayer Fodder. Nothing More

Rares: I've found 5 of the 8 so far, typical rare fare of expected mobs out there. Nice xp for killing them and like many of the newer open areas, the semi-random spawn points are nice, but some care should be taken to not have the same rare multiple times on the map, its just wrong in my opinion.

Explorers: 29 of them, not as easy to find as you might think. A few are well hidden, I enjoy the story line behind them and the voice overs very much. I also enjoy the voice overs walking up to the quests. Very well done and can't wait to hear them all!

Overall: This open area felt about right for a level 24 area, the mix of mobs, locations and slayer types will keep me interested for quite a while on each character I bring through there. I did not find any bugs or stuck spots, other than the previously mentioned slow Giant AI.

Kraki
01-17-2013, 03:10 PM
First, I would like to say that I had a good time in the outside area. Killed 3 dragons, collected shrunken heads and got some nifty augments to play with.

The only complaint I have is the Stormsworn Earthcaller (Knockdown sworn KnockdownCaller).

Their ability list appears to be:

Rock Throw* - *Now with Severe stunning blow!
Stomp
Cometfall
Greater Command

When you have 2 of those enemies attacking and someone moves around and 2 more crawl out of the ground, there is a LOT of knockdown attempts going on. Also in the area where Lord Cirrus formerly resided, there were 5 of those giants that I recall (3 standing where the troll oracles used to be and 2 more who were hiding under some pebbles). Please consider adding something else NOT a knockdown to their repertoire or have them slow the cycle.

Kraki

Hendrik
01-17-2013, 03:46 PM
First, I would like to say that I had a good time in the outside area. Killed 3 dragons, collected shrunken heads and got some nifty augments to play with.

There be Dragons in the explorer?!?!?

:eek:

Just wandering around or they stay put like the Green in the Forest?

Llama needs to DL faster.

:mad:

Kraki
01-17-2013, 03:51 PM
There be Dragons in the explorer?!?!?

:eek:

Just wandering around or they stay put like the Green in the Forest?

Llama needs to DL faster.

:mad:

Indeed, killed a red, green and white. They're random encounters like out in kings forest. I haven't encountered the same one twice yet but they were:

Red - North of Madstone near the entrance to TBF
Green - at the base of the small bridge leading from entrance to Cabal
White - north of "Brother who holds the horn" explorer on the path to Madstone - parallel to where Jax's hideout would be.

shadereaper33
01-17-2013, 04:37 PM
So, the brothers Grim encounter was both entertaining and surprising. Also, is there a chance for the dragon encounters out there to drop flawless dragon scales?

Hendrik
01-17-2013, 05:00 PM
Indeed, killed a red, green and white. They're random encounters like out in kings forest. I haven't encountered the same one twice yet but they were:

Red - North of Madstone near the entrance to TBF
Green - at the base of the small bridge leading from entrance to Cabal
White - north of "Brother who holds the horn" explorer on the path to Madstone - parallel to where Jax's hideout would be.

/sock

:o

TY

rest
01-17-2013, 09:13 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v162/rest_rsx/DDO/ScreenShot00259.jpg

Floating chests are bad.

Glenalth
01-17-2013, 09:25 PM

Floating chests are bad.

Now I know where to look after I kill a rare with no apparent chest.

arkonas
01-17-2013, 11:31 PM
dont forget the dont wake the dragon encounter can also be found in the very start when jumping to the right.

im ok with the cometfall. i had no issue with that. im ok with the greater command. protection from evil stops that. clickies as well. my problem is the constant rock throwing and stunning/knockdown effects. they spam the **** out of this. get 3-4 of them doing this to you. i would love for them to do other stuff to you just not this constantly

Texlaw1992
01-17-2013, 11:54 PM
I went all around Epic Gianthold last night - I'm pretty sure I killed everything, although I didn't find any dragons and I'm still missing six words of truth for some reason. For those missing only one, don't forget there's an otherwise-inaccessible area after the Orc quest. My observations:

1. Giant heads were interesting - found five, must have a use, but could not find one (anyone know?).

2. Wilderness area display in the quests section is bugged - please fix so we can actually see the wilderness quests (I'd like to know which words I'm missing).

3. AH no longer allows you to scroll the page down, so only half the items on each page are visible.

4. Astral shards purchased from AH now go into your inventory as an item as well as the "count." You can throw the items away with no penalty, but it's irritating.

5. Those higher-level augments look very cool - glad we can still use our tokens, though I haven't bought any yet.

Enjoying it so far.

shadereaper33
01-18-2013, 12:16 AM
I went all around Epic Gianthold last night - I'm pretty sure I killed everything, although I didn't find any dragons and I'm still missing six words of truth for some reason. For those missing only one, don't forget there's an otherwise-inaccessible area after the Orc quest. My observations:

1. Giant heads were interesting - found five, must have a use, but could not find one (anyone know?).

2. Wilderness area display in the quests section is bugged - please fix so we can actually see the wilderness quests (I'd like to know which words I'm missing).

3. AH no longer allows you to scroll the page down, so only half the items on each page are visible.

4. Astral shards purchased from AH now go into your inventory as an item as well as the "count." You can throw the items away with no penalty, but it's irritating.

5. Those higher-level augments look very cool - glad we can still use our tokens, though I haven't bought any yet.

Enjoying it so far.

1- the giant head relic things you can find are turned in to brawn pits out in the explorer area. I found him once a little ways north of trial by fire, near the teleport location in that area. I think you have to turn in 3 of them.

Flavilandile
01-18-2013, 03:55 AM
Like others, I noticed that some giants are slowpokes. ( they take time to activate )

It's mainly the generic giants ( like the ones roaming in Threnal, some hide or another as clothes and a tree trunk as a weapon ).

The Earthcaller should be called KnockdownStuncallers. Too many stuns and too many knockdowns. ( again like others )

Another thing about them is that they ( the Earthcallers mainly, but the Fire giants do it too ) agro from very very far... I got some that agroed on me while I was sneaking on a dragon rare ( steal his chest while it sleeps ).
They were near the teleporter for Madstone, I was not event at the cliff we jump when we don't teleport, they saw me sneaking through rocks and a dragon.. as a maxed rogue mechanic that can usually poke any mob in the nose sneaking, it was a nasty surprise. And while I was dealing with an angry dragon ( because the giants came around the corner and just sent a few rock that broke my stealth ) and 2 giants a third one from a bluff started throwing rocks from above ( again from very very far, it took me time to find where the rocks were coming from. )

Oh, that particular Dragon rare is a very nice touch... Especially for stealthy people.

RequiemVampie
01-18-2013, 04:17 AM
Spent a couple hours wandering and slaying on my arti.

Came across 2 issues:
1) In an area a little south of PoP, was walking on rock but lava damage came up. The lava was at least 6 feet away from me.
2) A rare named Giant (didn't catch his name before I logged off, did not drop a chest.

http://sphotos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/207717_10151401283132437_1531318401_n.jpg

Not sure if I missed a dialog box or something, but I searched the forum to no avail.
What is this for? Found it the dwarven camps near Foundation of Discord.
I can only assume that there are Dragon and Elven totems as well and they are used for something.

I did find a Green Dragon by running to TBF (not teleporting). I see an unguarded chest. Try to open lock.
*sound of flapping wings*
Me: S---! S---! S---! :D

sirgog
01-18-2013, 04:37 AM
As this is an area that's probably oriented to solo, ungeared players, the mob HP may be a touch too high on the giants. It doesn't feel oppressively high on my geared Bard, but they did survive a Draconic Incarnation energy burst that was boosted by an EE Swailing Blade (114 Combustion). They felt more like EH trash than the EN trash I expected.

Really looking forward to the voiceovers for the new-style explorer points.

Nibor
01-18-2013, 10:03 AM
There's some oddities if you run the epic explorer and then the non-epic.

When I first logged on, the compendium showed my slayer, explorer, rare counts from the non-epic version next to the epic version's name. Then when I entered epic gianthold wilderness, it fixed that.
But then when I dropped back into non-epic gianthold, I had lost my map, in spite of having all the explores done. I did not complete the explores for epic.

It's interesting that you can get into the epic versions of the quests from the non-epic wilderness, but that's just a function of how the quest entrance UI works. Feels weird, but it's okay. You don't have control over what version of the wilderness you enter when you leave the quest (because the wilderness UI was removed from when you leave a quest, because it was annoying when there were no options back in U14. But now there are options.)

Shade
01-18-2013, 11:11 AM
Same problem with every other epic explorere area I explained a dozen times:

Utterly trivial and thus boring for any decently skilled/geared character due to lack of difficulty settings. Both my bbn and sorc 1 shot nearly every enemy and it felt very underwealming.

You obviously have profiles for all the non named enemies here for hard and elite.. Why not add the difficulties so you can appeal to a wider audiance.

fco-karatekid
01-18-2013, 02:59 PM

The only complaint I have is the Stormsworn Earthcaller (Knockdown sworn KnockdownCaller).

Their ability list appears to be:

Rock Throw* - *Now with Severe stunning blow!
Stomp
Cometfall
Greater Command

That sounds just like Glabrezu AI (minus the Greater Command... haven't seen a Glabrezu cast that yet).

fco-karatekid
01-18-2013, 03:01 PM
So, the brothers Grim encounter was both entertaining and surprising. Also, is there a chance for the dragon encounters out there to drop flawless dragon scales?

GAAAHHH! I KNEW I shouldn't have read this thread. OK, no more spoilers for me... la la la not listening to y'all!

I LIKE those two, though :D

Matuse
01-18-2013, 07:06 PM
But then when I dropped back into non-epic gianthold,

How did you do that? I didn't see any option to go to regular gianthold, only the epic wilderness.

Glin
01-18-2013, 11:16 PM
You obviously have profiles for all the non named enemies here for hard and elite.. Why not add the difficulties so you can appeal to a wider audiance.

We absolutely explored this at the same time we targeted supporting Heroic/Epic variants in Wilderness. The short answer is, the game code that handles difficulty is much more intertwined with lots of other game systems, making it a high risk task, and we are trying to keep a focus on game health right now (aka fewer bugs).

Populating monsters is also an unfortunately long handed task. It's difficult to predict when something will be a huge task or right there at your finger tips.

In the end I think we were fortunate that creating the portal with Epic for wilderness and Heroic was an isolated and accessible system to tamper with.

Scraap
01-19-2013, 12:16 AM
We absolutely explored this at the same time we targeted supporting Heroic/Epic variants in Wilderness. The short answer is, the game code that handles difficulty is much more intertwined with lots of other game systems, making it a high risk task, and we are trying to keep a focus on game health right now (aka fewer bugs).

Populating monsters is also an unfortunately long handed task. It's difficult to predict when something will be a huge task or right there at your finger tips.

In the end I think we were fortunate that creating the portal with Epic for wilderness and Heroic was an isolated and accessible system to tamper with.

One tech-note on that: Did spot a few of the epic explorer red-names in the heroic explorer areas when I was gathering testing-mats. They went down in about 3 hits. Did not note encounters bleeding over.

Nibor
01-19-2013, 02:06 PM
How did you do that? I didn't see any option to go to regular gianthold, only the epic wilderness.

I meant the wilderness, which unfortunately has a similar name to the town.

terrenceknight1
01-19-2013, 05:22 PM
My own experience with the explorer zone on my 25 monk is the giants may have a few too many hit points but personally I find a bigger issue is the excessively large aggro radius giants have, I mean I go to attack a group and spawns that are so far away, in fact some that haven't even -rendered- on my screen yet come stompin in to lay a gang beating on me and Albus. Often leaves me as a soul stone due to stun spam just because of how many there are at times.

Matuse
01-20-2013, 12:44 AM
I meant the wilderness, which unfortunately has a similar name to the town.

That's also what I meant. I saw no option or ability to travel to the mid-teen version.

SqueakofDoom
01-20-2013, 07:03 PM
That's also what I meant. I saw no option or ability to travel to the mid-teen version.

The Heroic Version of the Wilderness is available through a tab choice when you click on the "door" to the Wilderness. If you click on the "Heroic" tab (above the normal spot for Casual/Normal/Hard/Elite), you can access the Heroic Wilderness.

Matuse
01-21-2013, 01:19 AM
The Heroic Version of the Wilderness is available through a tab choice when you click on the "door" to the Wilderness. If you click on the "Heroic" tab (above the normal spot for Casual/Normal/Hard/Elite), you can access the Heroic Wilderness.

Ok, this option is showing up now, but it absolutely was not showing up before. No way I would have missed it, as I was specifically looking for it.

SqueakofDoom
01-21-2013, 07:08 AM
You are not Crazy! Thank you for bringing this to my attention. It looks like those tabs sometimes wander off. I will have to track it down!

Also, Druuhl is being stingy. I've let the Devs know that he is missing his chest. We also know that the Giants' AI is a little broken (sometimes more than a little...)

One more thing: The Ancient Giant Totems are for Brawnpit's Encounter.

4tonmantis
01-21-2013, 02:05 PM
I have had mixed experiences in this area. All of the below are solo (not hireling, actually solo)

My bardbarian does okay solo but has to take long breaks to heal up.

A pally I rolled with suboptimal gear and capped EDs rolls through this like it's Korthos.

My Shiradai, Dual Rainbow does pretty well as long as I take it easy. It is easy to aggro too much with him though.

My Enchant/Archy WF (Magister) lands maybe 50% of his charms.. He does okay but has to down an excessive amount of pots. I think there is a problem though since on Live BEFORE TRing (wiz past life) he had a 43 save on his enchants.. NOW.. he is Magister capped and fully twisted and is only hitting 43.. WITH Epic feats, Enchant mastery, and tons of other goodies. I will have to investigate further to find out why that is but 43 is simply not enough.

I have a TWF rogue I will attempt to run through here but I honestly think it will not be pretty. I accept that that particular build tends to be more support and party dependent (unlike a capped archmage WF).

EDIT: Surprisingly my rogue didn't do too badly here solo. He regens approx 60ish HP every minute or so, which helps. The only thing that gets him is the crazy groups where 3 or 4 giants turns into 15ish.

4tonmantis
01-21-2013, 02:07 PM
My own experience with the explorer zone on my 25 monk is the giants may have a few too many hit points but personally I find a bigger issue is the excessively large aggro radius giants have, I mean I go to attack a group and spawns that are so far away, in fact some that haven't even -rendered- on my screen yet come stompin in to lay a gang beating on me and Albus. Often leaves me as a soul stone due to stun spam just because of how many there are at times.

This, I noticed that you start off fighting 5 giants and by the end have 15+ on you. My stronger builds are fine with this but a more stealth-dependent build or a slightly gimp character will find himself zerged by giants and ground into ingredients for bread fairly quickly.

Texlaw1992
01-21-2013, 02:25 PM
I've rolled through Epic GH twice and cannot find the Truthful One's Words 7 & 8 anywhere. I've found all the others, including all the Stormreaver ones. Does anyone know where they are? They must be somewhat close to each other.

die
01-21-2013, 02:43 PM
Im against any old quest chain or quest , that is too be made into a epic .

kzeast
01-22-2013, 02:56 AM

I've read this 15 times now and still don't know what you are saying.

DrakHar
01-22-2013, 08:29 AM

Firstly, this is the first epic zone of an old zone that isn't just "up the difficulty." They actually changed some things around story wise.

Secondly, what does this have to do with the explorer zone?

bloodnose13
01-23-2013, 06:33 AM
seems to me there is just too many giants in this area, they activate slow but they act like ants and when you fight one giant soon there is 10 more running from all around to help him, also their push around with club effect makes it hard to fight them when there is more than one. i think its a good reason to a change of this effect from current on attack, to some kind of critical attack effect or special attack that appears once per longer period of time. or removeal of it at all same as the skeleton giants. it just makes giant fights frustrating instead of fun.

Kik97
02-13-2013, 05:55 PM
I've searched all over gianthold explorer area with a friend and we haven't found Truthful One''s tenth teaching explorer. Does it even exist and if it does where is it located. We've found all the other explorer locations except this one. Any help would be appreciated.

Texlaw1992
02-13-2013, 10:35 PM
Do the Orc quest (Feast or Famine - ne Gianthold). There's a small wilderness area at the back of the quest, where the Hunting Party comes from. It's in that otherwise-inaccessible wilderness area - left side (from where you face when you enter the area) up a path, if I recall correctly. Have fun!

Cardoor
02-13-2013, 11:56 PM
+1 for adding a shrine under the troll quest. That side of the map really needed a shrine.

I also got the floating chest bug (reported it).

If you do not see a normal option for the explorer area after leaving epic, just click reset (so you are no longer connected to the epic instance). The normal option will be available again.

I didn't get a dragon, so I think I would have liked the Epic GH wilderness better if I had. My early impression is still positive, but I want to give it a another run through...

molyincide
02-22-2013, 09:35 AM
Went into the GH adventure area on Heroic, got two encounters; the sleeping green dragon and Ferros the fire giant on the way to madstone. Both of these red names died in one shot. It was quite surprising.

SqueakofDoom
02-22-2013, 03:58 PM
Oh boy. These are not supposed to show up on Heroic difficulty (hence the super easy: "I can kill them in one shot!") If you could PM me with the location(s) where you saw these encounters, I would greatly appreciate it! (Or bug report it if you prefer! Or do both.)

Thank you!

Scraap
02-22-2013, 04:12 PM
Oh boy. These are not supposed to show up on Heroic difficulty (hence the super easy: "I can kill them in one shot!") If you could PM me with the location(s) where you saw these encounters, I would greatly appreciate it! (Or bug report it if you prefer! Or do both.)

Thank you!

They're pretty much showing up in all the same spots as their epic counterparts, but as CR 16s that drop non-epic relics in the chests. I'd almost say keep em, but bump the HPs a bit.

Edit: Also seeing giants show up that don't count in the slayer listing.

Lyria
02-25-2013, 04:05 AM
Just another penny in the "giants have ludicrous aggro range" bucket.

It seems to be completely random, too. I can creep up towards a group of giants, and one with its back to me will twitch and aggro (from somewhere around max-bow-distance away), while his two friends just stand there staring at the tiny speck he's charging at in the distance trying to figure out what got up his bum.

The non-giant mobs seem to have a normal aggro radius, but the giants...hoo boy. This needs to be toned down by a good bit. There are places where there are so many giants within their massive aggro radius (near the spot where Chief Ogh is on heroic) that even trying to walk near there will end up with 10+ giants charging at you.

I've even had giants aggro me, charge, and if I back up a bit they'll deaggro and tether back to their spawn, only to do it again if I take a few steps forward. Aggroing from the very limit of their tether seems...excessive. :)

drew6815
03-02-2013, 11:10 AM
If you recall when kings forest opened, there were drow everywhere. Some groups, at level 20, were just too big to attack alone. HOwever, they eventually scaled it down and a couple epic levels later, I was wishing for the big groups. I suspect the numbers are inflated for quick slayer completions, to draw people in. Soon, the number of giants will be scaled back and slayer quests will take forever to complete.

GhostDargon
04-12-2016, 02:33 PM
Does any one have a map of the rare encounters for epic gianthold because i have been looking but all i can find is heroic maps. The wiki has a map but it only shows the words of the ancients not rares. I have found a few of them but i still need most of them.

sudzz
04-13-2016, 04:49 AM
Does any one have a map of the rare encounters for epic gianthold because i have been looking but all i can find is heroic maps. The wiki has a map but it only shows the words of the ancients not rares. I have found a few of them but i still need most of them.

Most of them as the name suggest are pretty rare, they also spawn in random locations unlike most other explore areas so there is no place that x named rare will spawn unlike the heroic map where they only spawn in a fixed location or not at all, the only possible exception is Brawnpits for handing in the giant relics he mostly seems to spawn just below the locked chest as guarded by the mind flayer but even then he doesn't always spawn when you collected relics.

GhostDargon
04-13-2016, 04:10 PM
Most of them as the name suggest are pretty rare, they also spawn in random locations unlike most other explore areas so there is no place that x named rare will spawn unlike the heroic map where they only spawn in a fixed location or not at all, the only possible exception is Brawnpits for handing in the giant relics he mostly seems to spawn just below the locked chest as guarded by the mind flayer but even then he doesn't always spawn when you collected relics.

Thank you that cleared a lot up for me.