PDA

View Full Version : Programmable Summons/Pets/Hires

HatsuharuZ
01-12-2013, 08:15 PM
One of the big problems with summons, hires and pets is that they are fairly stupid, often buggy, and in the case of summons cannot be controlled at all. I wish that all of them could be controlled more precisely.

What I would like to have is a "companion control" menu, in which one could have a certain number of 'command slots', ten for each of the different kinds of companions one can have (except for party members). In each slot one can specify a condition, such as "summoner HP less than 50%", and an action to take when that condition is reached. Higher slots would have higher priority, and if none of the conditions are met, the companion does nothing but follows the person who summoned them around. If you've ever played "Dragon Age", or "Final Fantasy XII", I'm sure you've come across a similiar system.

The biggest problem that I can see with this idea, assuming that it's possible to implement this idea, is that it's a bit complicated, and some players would prefer the simplicity of the current system. So I would suggest keeping the option of having the simple command UI present. Also, add a new tutorial for the new system.

Yes, I know that if implemented, this idea would probably break hirelings completely. Or handwraps. Or trap everyone inside walls while checking the AH. So please, don't use "it'll break something" as a reason to dislike this suggestion. Things break every time something new gets added to the game.

peng
01-12-2013, 11:40 PM
Yes, I know that if implemented, this idea would probably break hirelings completely. Or handwraps. Or trap everyone inside walls while checking the AH. So please, don't use "it'll break something" as a reason to dislike this suggestion. Things break every time something new gets added to the game.

But, but, but... what if it breaks tasty ham?! What will we eat when we're hungry? What will pop up over our heads when we type /lfh? What will fill our inventory when we walk over one of those sparkly black orbs?

In other news... I heartily approve of this suggestion. Just... think of the ham first.

HatsuharuZ
01-13-2013, 01:12 AM
But, but, but... what if it breaks tasty ham?! What will we eat when we're hungry? What will pop up over our heads when we type /lfh? What will fill our inventory when we walk over one of those sparkly black orbs?

In other news... I heartily approve of this suggestion. Just... think of the ham first.

No ham? Then let them eat cake. 6 year-old cake!

bartharok
01-13-2013, 03:17 AM
Improvd control would be nice, but the implementation would be a nightamre methinks. On the + side, wed have a lot of doom or ragequit threads for people to rage in.