PDA

View Full Version : ARMOR SKIN like HELM SKIN

Mr_Ed7
01-11-2013, 09:41 AM
I like the available helms that can mask whatever helm you are wearing.
I use the skull-helm, the top-hat and the ninja mask for separte toons.
I also love how I can wear various helms and the cosmetic helms mask them.

NOT so with the armor skins.
The armor skins LOCK on to that particular armor.
I would like to see the armor act more like the helms and be usable for a variety of armors thoughout the characters life.

Overall, more COSMETIC choices at a nominal (free) cost would be ideal.

Perhaps someday we can have a CLOAK or CAPE animation?

Gkar
01-11-2013, 09:47 AM
You know when they came out with the first cosmetic hats (the bunny hats I believe) that worked that way I was certain they were prototyping a new cosmetic skin system.

Boy was I shocked when they went in a totally different direction

I'm not sure how Turbine derailed so badly on this one.

QuartermasterX
01-11-2013, 04:49 PM

I would like to see the armor act more like the helms and be usable for a variety of armors thoughout the characters life.

Overall, more COSMETIC choices at a nominal (free) cost would be ideal.

We are working on revising the cosmetic armor system. I will provide more details when they are available.

sebastianosmith
01-11-2013, 04:57 PM
We are working on revising the cosmetic armor system. I will provide more details when they are available.

Fantastic! I find the attachment of armor skins to particular armors to be an impediment to the purchase of more armor skins. Just so somebody knows. ;)

FuzzyDuck81
01-11-2013, 05:04 PM
Hooray, i'm hoping i can rock a funky unsupressed quorforged docent, lucid dreams & lucky green hat on my artificer once again... maximum fabulosity!

danotmano1998
01-11-2013, 05:43 PM

Wooohoooo!

Me likey. Yes.
More options, less restrictions...

The biggest thing I'd love to see is that I can keep an armor skin (or several) of my choice and they STAY WITH THE CHARACTER, NOT THE ARMOR. (As the OP said. And 50 billion other threads have begged for unto time untold.)

Gkar
01-11-2013, 06:35 PM

You know, if you provided the concept for discussion BEFORE it was coded you wouldn't end up in messes like we have now. Generally doing market research BEFORE hand is a good thing.

So maybe its time to share NOW while there might still be hope for improvements in what you are working on?

Mr_Ed7
01-11-2013, 07:44 PM

Nice!
Thanks for saying so!

Missing_Minds
01-11-2013, 10:00 PM

If it acts more similar to lotro, where I have a closet and I can just put things on as I want, I'll have to buy more points as to date I have bought only one outfit due to the current system. Of which, because of how it binds, I find the prices to be an utter rip off compared to that of Lotro prices.

I can only hope it is as good as I imagine things in my mind else it will be too little too late.

BOgre
01-11-2013, 10:06 PM

No Capes!

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n534/basilvino/edna_mode_head_feb_05.jpg

SableShadow
01-11-2013, 11:30 PM
You know, if you provided the concept for discussion BEFORE it was coded you wouldn't end up in messes like we have now. Generally doing market research BEFORE hand is a good thing.

So maybe its time to share NOW while there might still be hope for improvements in what you are working on?

Srsly.

rygard
01-11-2013, 11:37 PM
Armor skins are predictible and boring like way it is. I using them only cos original skins of some armors even horrible then optional skins. If you provide more information about your armor skins change plans and if we can talk about that, give some feedback to you in planning phase, not just after see next phase or boringdoom, i believe results can be way better.

Many players i personaly know will be happy with some dirty, ragged, shabby rogue costume other then another piece of boring, shiny armor sets. I know many players can sacrifice serious amount of TP for customizable (for example marked with guild logos) armors. We always been increbily limited about customization in this game, so far there's no exception for cosmetic ways. I hope this time you can change this and set our characters free.

And dear players, please just dont convince with some cape or minor add, we need to real chance of having unique looking characters, I wanna use it.

(p.s. first person who gonna standup and say "no, fix the bugs first bla bla"; i love you personaly)

BOgre
01-11-2013, 11:48 PM

Aside from my 'no capes', I'm happy to hear you're giving this system a look. While you are at it, I'm hoping you'll redisign the store UI for it as well. Here's a screenie from an easily recognized family mmo with a really great cosmetic system that I think has the right idea:

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n534/basilvino/armorkitUI-3_zps1be4b51e.png

You have to have in your inventory both the armor with the appearance you want, and the armor with the stats you want. I'd hope we could see something like this in the store UI as well. Armor with stats you want in inventory, skin with appearance you want in the store, a nice preview window, etc...

bhgiant
01-12-2013, 02:15 AM
I have not bought an armor skin from the store, ever. If it was changed to a "closet" as previously mentioned, I can see myself buying several armor kits.

With how often loot changes in this game, I can't bring myself to spend 200tp on something that I might have to trash 2 months from now.

Memnir
01-12-2013, 02:25 AM
HAPPY DANCING TIME IS NOW!
http://i.imgur.com/fHAOT.gif

EllisDee37
01-12-2013, 04:21 AM
We are working on revising the cosmetic armor system. I will provide more details when they are available.Nice!

I unfortunately gravitate to some of the fugliest armor in the game. Epic Cavalry Plate on my cleric, Frozen Tunic on my monk, and Hide of the Goristro on both my endgame melees. All are utterly hideous, to the point that I already have or soon will gladly spend TP on armor kits for all of them.

Luckily I found appearance kits I really love for the cavalry plate and frozen tunic, so I consider that TP well spent. Sadly, after previewing every single kit in the store for the goristro, they're all ugly. Meaning I'm going to end up spending TP to make my armor slightly less fugly and be trivially annoyed every time I log on to one of them going forward. That's a bit of a downer, so any effort put into appearance kits in any context is aces in my book.

oradafu
01-12-2013, 04:25 AM
I don't know if this means anything, but this is the second time that QuartertmasterX has responded to a thread about Armor Skins as being similar to the Bunny Hat in little over a month. So just maybe...

While I cannot give specific details or dates, we are planning on making improvements to cosmetic armor system. Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

stretchcore
01-12-2013, 06:38 AM
I don't know if this means anything, but this is the second time that QuartertmasterX has responded to a thread about Armor Skins as being similar to the Bunny Hat in little over a month. So just maybe...

coming soon : http://www.thisnext.com/item/6554EFA6/Donnie-Darko-Frank-The-Bunny

fco-karatekid
01-12-2013, 06:39 AM

Oh no you did NOT just post a screenie from Wizards 101...

Hendrik
01-12-2013, 08:52 AM

Wonderful news!

Armor skins is really the only thing I buy in the store. Like to see more of them and for lack of better term this early, better. I really do not want to see more Armor skins that look like paint-on spandex with no texture.

BOgre
01-12-2013, 01:32 PM

Yes, yes I did. :) Haven't played in a couple years, since the kids got bored of it, but I remember really enjoying it, for what it was.

Anyhow, KingsIsle really has their soup in a group about a few things. Crafting, Housing, Pets, and Cosmetics are all very well done. Turbine devs could learn a thing or three.

btw, KI is about to release (or has already) a new one: Pirates 101. Can't argue with success.

adamkatt
01-12-2013, 03:37 PM
we are working on revising the cosmetic armor system. I will provide more details when they are available.

+1!!!!

.Revenga.
01-13-2013, 09:59 AM
NO CAPES!

seriously you guys!

jakeelala
01-14-2013, 06:23 AM
Wonderful news!

Armor skins is really the only thing I buy in the store. Like to see more of them and for lack of better term this early, better. I really do not want to see more Armor skins that look like paint-on spandex with no texture.

Just give us a way to design our own skins. A zillion heads are better than 1-3 at turbine. Modding is sort of the obvious conclusion for a long running game in any genre. Otherwise your game will just die a slow ungraceful death

We would just need a file format and basic size parameters for wrapping to different models (race and male/female). You could even sell popular ones in the turbine store and share profits with the (in TP) with the people whose designs sold.

You have the best looking game for sure.

Shanzookie
01-14-2013, 07:07 AM
If you really want to make it better.. here is what you do...

1) give wizards a cosmetic pointy hat in verious colors.
2) show shelthed weapons on the backs of charaters
3) make other items visible with variations depending on the item it's self (i.e. show bracers, cloaks, necklasses, etc.. that is not hidden by armor robs or clothing, diffrent bracers are diffrent colors.)
4) have googles and open faced helms both visible at the same time. (just make the modles for the googles smaller ffs :) )
5) give wizards pointy hats!!!

Off topic..
Don't be lazy and give us enhancemnts and call us epic... stick to D&D and give us actual levels, and adjust the mods, bosses, quest to coincide with the power adjustment. <we all know that is why it was done they way it was, would of been more work the other way> but yet it would of been RIGHT and truly, EPiC.

Back on topic...

6) give wizards pointy hats!!!!!!!!!!!!
:D

cdbd3rd
01-14-2013, 09:00 AM

And you are recognizing a screenie from said game how? Hmmm?

:p

Oh, and On Topic reply = +1 vote for cosmetics closet.

Bolo_Grubb
01-14-2013, 11:04 AM

Cool.

Depending on things change I might be more inclined to buy more armor kits.

Gkar
01-14-2013, 11:07 AM

I don't know what Wizards 101 is, but since you apparently do, should you be making fun of the other poster? lol

Failedlegend
01-14-2013, 02:15 PM

I actually think a hybrid would be best

- The armor kits are superior to all other forms of cosmetics due to the fact you dont have to "cast" it every time you log in

- The cosmetic hats,etc. are superior in that their not a single use item and can be transferred easily

I'd say the easiest way to combine these is to have a second equipment tab called "cosmetic" it looks exactly the same as the other tab except anything you put in those spots are only for looks so you can wear say +5 heavy plate but stick your starter rags in the cosmetic slot for fun or one of the DDO store slots. It would be interesting to see items that are useless mechanically but look cool becoming popular for this reason

If it acts more similar to lotro, where I have a closet and I can just put things on as I want, I'll have to buy more points as to date I have bought only one outfit due to the current system. Of which, because of how it binds, I find the prices to be an utter rip off compared to that of Lotro prices.

I can only hope it is as good as I imagine things in my mind else it will be too little too late.

Yes that system would be perfect but the devs have made it clear in the past tat the last thing they would EVER do is make a system even remotely resembling anything from LOTRO despite the fact that whilst overall DDO IMO is far superior to LOTRO the crafting & cosmetics (including the visual side of character creation) systems are a million times better than ours

~rachealgoss
01-14-2013, 09:42 PM
Dunno if anyone has done DC Universe online but their appearance system is one of the best - you simply have styles and a list to choose from - that would work out great for the appearance kits - you click on the armor/helm/etc slot and it gives you a list of the ones you have in your inventory - blue spiral 1, black spiral 2, etc and you click the one you want to display.

SealedInSong
01-14-2013, 11:12 PM

Yay!

YAY!

Can you be sure to add some truly exotic stuff in, like things with feathers, things that give you a noticeable profession (wizard robes with a spell case on it, ranger leathers with multiple quivers, etc), and more? I guarantee Turbine revenue will increase considerably if we are allowed to express ourselves the way Rygard explained here:

(snip...)
Many players i personaly know will be happy with some dirty, ragged, shabby rogue costume other then another piece of boring, shiny armor sets. (snip)

My-WAI
01-18-2013, 03:01 PM
About time you guys got around to changing the current crapfest appearance system considering the potential $ to be made..I guess the marketing guys finally got a clue maybe from their compatriots at LOTRO?

But why do I get the feeling it's still going to be mucked up and the Elite Spider Cult Mask will overwrite all other appearances (and so robbing me of enjoying any helm graphic in the game) forcing me to go helm-less in order to avoid that hideous mask graphic? Or that armor skins will still be bound to the piece of armor you used it on? Or you double the pricing? Just Something that doesn't make any sense and/or is excessively greedy.

Failedlegend
01-18-2013, 03:13 PM
About time you guys got around to changing the current crapfest appearance system considering the potential $ to be made..I guess the marketing guys finally got a clue maybe from their compatriots at LOTRO?

Just to note that the devs have said multiple times that they refuse to use make anything even similar to what LOTRO has made