PDA

View Full Version : Asking my fellow casters for Mindsunder advice

stefferweffer
01-09-2013, 09:38 AM
Yes, I am STILL farming the stupid Mindsunder for a Lucid Dreams for my Arti (the Docent found there woud be a nice addition for him too). After about 5 "3rd time" rewards and one chest pull, still no luck.

I don't mind running it again and again (getting no XP now) with my 18/2 Pale Trapper. He kills the trash and the orange and red guys pretty fast. But the Mindsunder itself, the big crystal, is what takes seemingly forever.

I do bring a cleric with summon IX, so we can both summon Hezrous for extra damage, but there are also monsters being summoned during that fight, so the summons get distracted with them. I would charm the summons if I could, but that does not seem to work either.

Wiki says that the crystal is immune to fire, cold, sonic and electric. Since I am acid/ice spec, I figured acid would work. Apparently it is ALSO immune to Acid :( Obviously death spells do nothing.

So this leaves Force, Negative, or Light (which I don't have). Does anyone know if these will damage it? I'd frankly be surprised (but happy) if it is vulnerable to Negative energy, as Necrotic Ray and my SLAs could help. I could try maximized disintegrates, but the cooldown is kinda longish, and I'd run out of sp soon too. I am not adverse to getting a good weapon or two and just meleeing it to death also. If I did this, what would be the best weapon(s) to use?

Thanks for the advice.

Daemoneyes
01-09-2013, 10:24 AM
Only run it one time with my drunk so not much experience with this quest.

What should work is
Ice Storm, cheap and has Force Damage (or untyped who cares..)
CC the Spawns, with Discoball/Web
Charm the Spawns, more that beat on the crystal ;)

what you can try
get a two handed Weapon, best would be Smiting or Construct Bane
try negative damage, yeah unlikely but ddo is sometimes strange
Light damage should work but yeah not a PM option

If nothing works out, open a farming LFM
Farming, IP, all welcome
this never failed to get me company :)

TrinityTurtle
01-09-2013, 10:43 AM
Disinegrate is my spell of choice for that crystal, but I'm sure there are other options. :)

shadereaper33
01-09-2013, 11:01 AM
I believe that the crystal is actually vulnerable to force type damage, so force missiles would probably be your best bet for cheap and effective damage.

fool101
01-09-2013, 11:16 AM
Here's what I do, although it still takes a while:

Summon black panther (from MotU prepurchase) and sick him on crystal. He is really too slow to take it down on his own but he'll work on it while I kite the rest of the room/kill the orange and red names and wraith thingy.

Once I'm down do the respawning mobs only, I use MM on the crystal mostly, both the spell like ability and spell. Disintegrate works too but it seemed like the crystal was saving too much?!

squishwizzy
01-09-2013, 11:25 AM
Yes, I am STILL farming the stupid Mindsunder for a Lucid Dreams for my Arti (the Docent found there woud be a nice addition for him too). After about 5 "3rd time" rewards and one chest pull, still no luck.

I don't mind running it again and again (getting no XP now) with my 18/2 Pale Trapper. He kills the trash and the orange and red guys pretty fast. But the Mindsunder itself, the big crystal, is what takes seemingly forever.

I do bring a cleric with summon IX, so we can both summon Hezrous for extra damage, but there are also monsters being summoned during that fight, so the summons get distracted with them. I would charm the summons if I could, but that does not seem to work either.

Wiki says that the crystal is immune to fire, cold, sonic and electric. Since I am acid/ice spec, I figured acid would work. Apparently it is ALSO immune to Acid :( Obviously death spells do nothing.

So this leaves Force, Negative, or Light (which I don't have). Does anyone know if these will damage it? I'd frankly be surprised (but happy) if it is vulnerable to Negative energy, as Necrotic Ray and my SLAs could help. I could try maximized disintegrates, but the cooldown is kinda longish, and I'd run out of sp soon too. I am not adverse to getting a good weapon or two and just meleeing it to death also. If I did this, what would be the best weapon(s) to use?

Thanks for the advice.

First, run it on casual. Three times on casual, some of the chest rewards will show up as end-rewards.

Second, for the mobs use Chain Lightning. Lightning, I believe, is one of the only spells that affects all mobs without healing some of them. I also don't think they can evade it. If you are going to melee, you might want to grab a ghost touch weapon with shocking burst.

Disintigreate works on the crystal I believe, as do force spells.

If that doesn't work, consider PUGing it on casual. On my server it is generally not all that difficult to get a Mindsunderer farming group of at least a couple of people. They generally run it all on casual knowing that after every third run, named loot tends to show up in the end rewards list.

I PUGed it several times with one toon. I managed to get Terror, Death's Touch, and another named item from that chain whose name escapes me at the moment. PUGs on casual go lightning fast, especially if you got a a couple dedicated farmers running them.

stefferweffer
01-09-2013, 03:13 PM
Thank you for the PUG idea. If I did this it would be my first ever PUG (sad I know). I usually solo or play with RL friends.

I'm HOPING that in a Casual PUG like this I'm not expected to be some uber superstar, but instead just contribue the best that I can and not get myself killed? I'm happy to try a PUG, but I don't mind telling you that if my first experience is bad it could be the one and only time I ever try it :) Just not worth the stress of of abrasive personalities, which I get enough of at work, and get paid to put up with it.

Thanks again.

Postumus
01-09-2013, 03:22 PM
Just mention that you are farming casual for the end rewards, IP, all welcome, be flagged. You'll probably get some likeminded folks willing to run it several times with you.

Another thing, if you don't already know it, if you don't like your reward list for the third run, instead of accepting the reward and running it 3 more times, you can simply abandon the quest without a reward and re-run it and you will get another third run end reward list.

stefferweffer
01-09-2013, 03:53 PM
Another thing, if you don't already know it, if you don't like your reward list for the third run, instead of accepting the reward and running it 3 more times, you can simply abandon the quest without a reward and re-run it and you will get another third run end reward list.

WOW I feel like a big dummy. NO I DID NOT KNOW THIS. That is awesome! I have been running it 3 quests at a time (takes me less than 15 min a run anyway). But still, this is incredible if the game actually lets you do this. So basically I've run around 66% more of these than I actually needed to. Regretable, but glad to know that I can cut the time down considerably.

Ryiah
01-09-2013, 03:57 PM
Regretable, but glad to know that I can cut the time down considerably.

It also applies to Dreaming Dark. Pretty nice if you want to quickly farm an Ioun stone.

EllisDee37
01-09-2013, 04:06 PM
Another thing, if you don't already know it, if you don't like your reward list for the third run, instead of accepting the reward and running it 3 more times, you can simply abandon the quest without a reward and re-run it and you will get another third run end reward list.Great tip, thanks much!

squishwizzy
01-09-2013, 04:19 PM
Just mention that you are farming casual for the end rewards, IP, all welcome, be flagged. You'll probably get some likeminded folks willing to run it several times with you.

Yeah, I soooo forgot that one. It works on Dreaming Dark as well.

squishwizzy
01-09-2013, 04:27 PM
I'm HOPING that in a Casual PUG like this I'm not expected to be some uber superstar, but instead just contribue the best that I can and not get myself killed? I'm happy to try a PUG, but I don't mind telling you that if my first experience is bad it could be the one and only time I ever try it :) Just not worth the stress of of abrasive personalities, which I get enough of at work, and get paid to put up with it.

Don't take this wrong, but I just about shot soda out my nose.

If you get in with a couple of people who farm this kind of stuff, your problem won't be expectations. Your problem will be trying to get a single kill...any kill...period...

Any encounter is going to look like all of the years spent in WWII in each theater of war, condensed into maybe 15 seconds or so of fighting. There will be loud sounds, flashing, smoke, things wizzing here or there, and then when your eye adjust you'll realize everything is dead, and the rest of your party has moved onto the next room.

Plus after about 4 run-thorughs, you'll have the sequence down pat. I wouldn't worry too much about performance anxiety.

And if your first experience is bad, just avoid those people and try another group when it pops up. Seriously, a lot of people who do these farming runs on casual generally tend to do them on their own most times. Anybody else popping is either company or an audience.

Ryiah
01-09-2013, 04:39 PM
Your problem will be trying to get a single kill...any kill...period...

I know with my Pale Master I've gotten lazy. I move to the next section of Dreaming Dark, cast a fresh Death Aura, and alt-tab to browse the forums till all the enemies in that area are dead. Occasionally one will still be roaming or casting at range but a quick Finger of Death fixes that and I move to the next section.

So long as you don't linger in a finished instance for too long most parties don't seem to care how little you contribute.

Postumus
01-09-2013, 07:44 PM
I know with my Pale Master I've gotten lazy. I move to the next section of Dreaming Dark, cast a fresh Death Aura, and alt-tab to browse the forums till all the enemies in that area are dead. Occasionally one will still be roaming or casting at range but a quick Finger of Death fixes that and I move to the next section.

So long as you don't linger in a finished instance for too long most parties don't seem to care how little you contribute.

lol awesome!

stefferweffer
01-10-2013, 07:24 AM
Good news. I FINALLY got Lucid Dreams last night. Yes, Force does well against the Crystal, especially Disintegrate. I got each run down to about 10-12 minutes now.

I realized something when I equipped Lucid Dreams though. If my Arti is going for damage, he's using an Impellant Heavy Crossbow of Heartseeker. This weapon already does 2-12 Force Damage. Lucid Dreams says that it adds the same. Is this OK, or is one of those damages going to be null/void? I couldn't remember if the Runearm allows the same damage type to be on a weapon or not.

Thanks again for all the help.

fco-karatekid
01-10-2013, 08:30 AM
OK, so it's too late now, but I found for Rune Arms, running an Arti with "end rewards based on class" turned on HUGELY speeds up how long it takes to get one... at least where end rewards are concerned.

The highest number of chain runs I've had to do for a particular rune arm to show up has been two - had to run the druid chain twice for corruption, and had to run reign of madness twice for oscenity. For the rest (most importantly Threnal for Recoyle), I ran their respective chains once and got the rune arm choice on first chain completion.

Nitesco
01-10-2013, 08:48 AM
These are the kind of fight club moments that actually get patched in the next update..